Bournemouth 0-3 Saints - Match Thread

Noodles34

Absolutely dreading this game. Should win, but we are in terrible form, and they have players to hurt us. I think it will be very evenly matched, but I worry massively about our leaky defence coupled with our lack of goal threat.

I would like us to keep the same system, and try and get a bit of confidence.

Forster

KWP Vestergaard Salisu Bertrand

Armstrong JWP Diallo Djenepo

Adams Redmond

6 minutes ago, LGTL said:

They’re without a few. Wish we could head down there, would be a decent day on the piss. 

Strongest possible line-up and I think we’ll have too much for them. 

7 players out if you include Shane Long according to this. 

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/19165762.amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Gutted we're not going down there, would have had a few more tickets for once. 

7 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Absolutely dreading this game. Should win, but we are in terrible form, and they have players to hurt us. I think it will be very evenly matched, but I worry massively about our leaky defence coupled with our lack of goal threat.

Forster

Adams Redmond

I agree with this line up. Bednarek needs a rest. His confidence is shot. Redmond may come to life against championship opposition, he needs to because he's another one whose confidence is shot to pieces. 

10 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

Not  all all, but to be honest, even if we win, what will we face, another Chelsea like semi, better to put ourselves out of the misery sooner. 
not sure if you have noticed, but we are really shit at the moment 

That's the Spirit. Better still, why don't we refuse to travel as its outside our lock down area and concede the match.

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Bournemouth vs Saints - Match Thread

Back to Ralph basics, lots of high pressing and not letting them have time on the ball at the back, the pressing system is a lot less common in the Championship so they should be less practiced at playing around it.

Got a mate living with me who is a Bournemouth fan, I keep having to tell him "it's not a derby" but I'd feel much happier if we smash them anyway.

I was confident when the draw was made but can see us getting beat in this one after our recent shit-shows. They have some decent players who will probably raise their games because this is massive for them, our lot will probably just see it as a week-off.

Would be great to play at Wembley again but I even if some fans are allowed I doubt I will get a ticket, plus it looks like whoever wins will just face a stuffing anyway so not overly bothered, staying up is the priority now.

4 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Forster

Adams Redmond

How anyone can think Redmond is worthy of a starting place is utterly beyond me sorry. He epitomes everything wrong about us at present. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

How anyone can think Redmond is worthy of a starting place is utterly beyond me sorry. He epitomes everything wrong about us at present. 

Well Minamino does absolutely nothing to influence a game, and Walcott is injured. Tella was awful last week. Djenepo you could make an arguement for, but IMO not through the middle. Everyone is entitled to their opinion...

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

I was confident when the draw was made but can see us getting beat in this one after our recent shit-shows. They have some decent players who will probably raise their games because this is massive for them, our lot will probably just see it as a week-off.

Would be great to play at Wembley again but I even if some fans are allowed I doubt I will get a ticket, plus it looks like whoever wins will just face a stuffing anyway so not overly bothered, staying up is the priority now.

That is not the attitude to have!

The cup is all that we have left to salvage this season- I’m sure Ralph and the players know this. 

It would be sad but I couldn’t less if we won the trophy with empty stadiums- it would be bloody typical but I’m sure that’s what every other fan is saying that isn’t City/United/Chelsea!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Well Minamino does absolutely nothing to influence a game, and Walcott is injured. Tella was awful last week. Djenepo you could make an arguement for, but IMO not through the middle. Everyone is entitled to their opinion...

Minamino is also cup tied. With Ings and Walcott injured as well we're not exactly spoilt for choice up front. I'd think it's a certainty that Redmond will play. 

5 subs still allowed in cup games? 

2 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

I'd take relegation if it meant we won the FA cup. But more likely we'd get a final and relegation. Not as grand, just ask Boro. 

No thanks! Didn’t that happen to Wigan and look where they are now.

I’ll take a cup win and mid-table thanks 😊 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

This. Been absolutely fucking diabolical this season. One brief glimmer of something approaching acceptable, but that's it. Would happily never see him in a Saints shirt again.

26 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

No thanks! Didn’t that happen to Wigan and look where they are now.

I’ll take a cup win and mid-table thanks 😊 

I’d be happy winning the FA cup and getting relegated. Relegation isn’t all that and neither is the premier league !

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scallysaint said:

I’d be happy winning the FA cup and getting relegated. Relegation isn’t all that and neither is the premier league !

Relegation isn't all that? Try telling that to the 60% of Saints backroom staff who'd lose their jobs if we went down.

And you obviously wouldn't care about the exodus of our best players.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

And you obviously wouldn't care about the exodus of our best players.

Best players? 

Isn’t that like funniest German? 

Apart from Armstrong, OR & Walker-Peters, they can all fuck off as far as I’m concerned. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

32 minutes ago, Scallysaint said:

If reports are to be believed we lost the best part of £100M quid last year, if we got relegated we would be absolutely fucked with a bullet.

In any case, the chances of us getting relegated this year is pretty damn near zero unless one of Newcastle or Fulham pull off top 3 form and we didn't win another match. Imo.

17 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

If reports are to be believed we lost the best part of £100M quid last year, if we got relegated we would be absolutely fucked with a bullet.

In any case, the chances of us getting relegated this year is pretty damn near zero unless one of Newcastle or Fulham pull off top 3 form and we didn't win another match. Imo.

Our annual wage bill is just under £60 million apparently, so with minimal income, that wouldn't be a surprise.......

1 hour ago, Scallysaint said:

A lot of fans say this when their team is struggling in the PL.

It's just assumed that you'd go down and do well in the lower league, but it's very rarely that straight forward.

Did Bournemouth want to get relegated so they could struggle to make the play offs in the Champ? Did Stoke want to get relegated so they could struggle to compete in the top half of the championship? I'd say, no.

Relegation for us wouldn't equate to us watching a winning team next year by default. It would mean an enormous fire sale, selling of anything that moves and a team full of players from the academy who aren't actually good enough. It would be a truly soul destroying experience, so relegation would be 'all that'. 

Not that it's going to happen - this year anyway.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Best players? 

Apart from Armstrong, OR & Walker-Peters, they can all fuck off as far as I’m concerned. 

The opposite of which would happen if we went down, basically. We’d be building a team around Long, Stephens, Gunn, Valery and N’Lundulu.

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's just assumed that you'd go down and do well in the lower league, but it's very rarely that straight forward.

Did Bournemouth want to get relegated so they could struggle to make the play offs in the Champ? Did Stoke want to get relegated so they could struggle to compete in the top half of the championship? I'd say, no.

Relegation for us wouldn't equate to us watching a winning team next year by default. It would mean an enormous fire sale, selling of anything that moves and a team full of players from the academy who aren't actually good enough. It would be a truly soul destroying experience, so relegation would be 'all that'. 

Still take that if it meant we won the FA Cup. We’ve won one trophy in 131 years, the vast majority of our support has never seen us win anything. I’d take an FA cup win over relegation every single day of the week. That’s what sport is about, not playing every season just to hope you finish 17th or above for the “honour” of being cannon fodder for the big clubs 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Still take that if it meant we won the FA Cup. We’ve won one trophy in 131 years, the vast majority of our support has never seen us win anything. I’d take an FA cup win over relegation every single day of the week. That’s what sport is about, not playing every season just to hope you finish 17th or above for the “honour” of being cannon fodder for the big clubs 

I do agree to an extent but to give ourselves the best chance of winning any trophy then statistically that would require us to remain in the Premier League.

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Best players? 

Spoken like a true Saints fan.

Are you living in some sort of surreal world where we get relegated, the club is close to bankruptcy or worse, players leave but we somehow are better off? Some fairy godmother going to produce a squad of top players and a billionaire owner who really wants to lose as much as he/she can?

Utterly ridiculous. I am reasonably comfortable that we won't go down, but if we do, we are in deep shit.

• Like 4

Just consider that if we beat a team a division below, with injuries, who need to go up, we are then 2 wins away from our first trophy in 45 years and therefore most Saints fans life.

This is one of the best chances we’ll have so I’m shocked by the amount of fans seemingly non plussed. I can only assume winning things isn’t of interest - as I don’t see another great chance coming along anytime soon !.

54 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

A firesale wouldnt be a bad thing for us. Would force us to move on some of the jokers who have been weighing this club down for 3/4 years (some of whom we'll get pennies for anyways). And it wouldnt necessarily mean selling anything that moves. The parachute payments are a decent buffer for the first year or two. Just look at Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford who have been able to keep pretty much the same team they went down with. Certainly the latter two would have a considerable wage bill similar to ourselves. It becomes a serious problem though when you dont bounce back the first two seasons

28 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

Just consider that if we beat a team a division below, with injuries, who need to go up, we are then 2 wins away from our first trophy in 45 years and therefore most Saints fans life.

This is one of the best chances we’ll have so I’m shocked by the amount of fans seemingly non plussed. I can only assume winning things isn’t of interest - as I don’t see another great chance coming along anytime soon !.

Love the positivity....but have you seen us play in 2021 so far.

Personally think we'll win this, although it'll be tight. 2-1 Saints. Che and JWP

26 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

I suspect it's because we'll have to beat two of (likely) City/United/Chelsea to do it which considering we've conceded 5 and 9 to 2/3 of those in the last 6 weeks, isn't going to happen is it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

In this day and age and given our bank balance too it would be suicide to go down. The very real risks of successive relegations again just cannot be contemplated.

The cup is litterally meaningless in comparison and we ain’t winning it anyway if you are in any way at all realistic. We do not need a cup run while we are in this mess... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, captainchris said:

In this day and age and given our bank balance too it would be suicide to go down. The very real risks of successive relegations again just cannot be contemplated.

The cup is litterally meaningless in comparison and we ain’t winning it anyway if you are in any way at all realistic. We do not need a cup run while we are in this mess... 

can’t wait until this seasons open top bus tour with Goa and semmens holding aloft the cheque with our 15th placed prize money amount across it

winning trophies is meaningless. Jesus Wept. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

This and this, and this for good measure. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

can’t wait until this seasons open top bus tour with Goa and semmens holding aloft the cheque with our 15th placed prize money amount across it

winning trophies is meaningless. Jesus Wept. 

Can you actually read or are you six! 

7 minutes ago, captainchris said:

seriously, what is with modern football fans? 
There was football before Sky and the EPL and there is football outside of the EPL

• Like 4

Genuinely saddened by our pathetic support. One game off an FA Cup semi final at Wembley and we’re not arsed.

My Dad talks about 76 more or less every time I see him. Yet virgins on here are more concerned about the club’s bank balance. 

Football’s dying for me and the attitude of most comments on here sums it up.

This is a massive massive game and if I have one wish for my time on this planet it’s to see Saints win a major trophy. Fuck what league we’re in, I’ll take 20 years in League One just to have that one moment. 

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, captainchris said:

Your comments about cups is utter soul-destroying rubbish and I really can't be arsed with responding. Others here have said it already.

But I like the way with these people that we can never just get relegated like other clubs manage to do.

Every relegation in these people's heads is an immediate double relegation. Every fucking time. From seven points clear of the drop needing one win to stay up in March 21 to kicking off back in league one in the summer of 2022. 18 months time. Batshit.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, captainchris said:

My advice is you should give up following football. If you think the chance of winning a cup is meaningless, what's the point?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, captainchris said:

Can you actually read or are you six! 

Yea you’re more worried about our bank balance and don’t want a cup run because we’re 7 points clear of relegation with 9 games left, are you sure football is the game for you sir?

1 hour ago, captainchris said:

You very strange individual. What genuine football fan does not want to progress in and win a cup, let alone the FA Cup, you know, the oldest cup competition in the world that Saints have won just ONCE? 

I'll go further, please go and support Arsenal whose sole aim is to get in the "top 4" and not care about their FA Cup wins.

If Saints win the FA Cup and finish being relegated, then I'd rather that. I want to see my team win thing, I want to celebrate about winning things like I'm an irresponsible teenager.  I was born 2 months after Saints won their only FA Cup, I've seen a couple of finals and then Saints win the Paint Trophy. Great, but not the FA Cup. I was at Wembley when Saints should've won the league cup, would've been f**king brilliant had it happened, but still, not the FA Cup.

Basically you're being silly. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Bournemouth 0-3 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic