Saints 3-1 Palace - Match Thread

Minsk

Here we go with the first of four totally irrelevant matches to end a shameful season. Who cares about the outcome as we battle heroically for 16th position in the table. Staying up courtesy of the ineptitude of three other teams gives no satisfaction at all. 

It's pretty clear by now that whichever XI players take the field tonight we will serve up the usual dross and lose, Ralph will make his usual excuses, the "learning points" (JWP!) will be ignored as usual and we ill be back here tomorrow moaning about all and sundry. 

Thank goodness for a Motor Club Zoom meeting this evening which promises to be significantly less boring than watching Redmond & Co piss about with the same objectivity as a Manx cat chasing its tail.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Here we go with the first of four totally 1) irrelevant matches to end a shameful season. Who cares about the outcome as we battle heroically for 16th position in the table. 2) Staying up courtesy of the ineptitude of three other teams gives no satisfaction at all. 

It's pretty clear by now that whichever XI players take the field tonight we will serve up the usual dross and lose

1) There is roughly £10m difference in prize money between finishing 13th and 17th... so it is not irrelevant. That £10m could be useful this summer!

2) We are staying up due to the points we earned in the 1st half of the season. The first half of the season was superb, 2nd half was awful... making it not a good or bad season... somewhere inbetween.

• Like 2

Lets hope the Cant be bothered mentality doesn't turn up in the players tonight just because Fulham lost.

We put in decent effort against Liverpool.... finishing was beyond shocking though & we paid the price for that!

We are capable of beating palace its just wether we want it enough... hopefully the surprise addition of Ings (if it happens) will give us that boost.

We have to turn the losing streak around somewhen surely? 8 points from 51 available is hard to take  

49 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

1) There is roughly £10m difference in prize money between finishing 13th and 17th... so it is not irrelevant. That £10m could be useful this summer!

2) We are staying up due to the points we earned in the 1st half of the season. The first half of the season was superb, 2nd half was awful... making it not a good or bad season... somewhere inbetween.

Not a bad season? We’re 17th. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Staying up courtesy of the ineptitude of three other teams gives no satisfaction at all. 

I know you typically write absolute drivel, but this is just ridiculous.

With four games to play we already have enough points to stay up in any of the seasons in the last decade, in most seasons 37 would be incredibly comfortable.

The bottom three being awful is not a unique thing for this season.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Maury Dyer said:

I lost heart when we lost West Brom 3 0. If the team cannot be bothered, why should I ??

As someone who has regularly supported Saints since the 1950's, I have asked myself that question many, many times over the years. I'm still here.....

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Did you notice I did not say it was a good season either?

Win tonight and we are only 1 point away from 13th.

Would 13th be a bad season for this squad?

In isolation it is, but that's willfully ignoring everything else, like being fucking dogshit since January 1st.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DT said:

It is categorically a bad season

Entering my sixth decade as a Saints fan and in that time I've learned to temper my ambition and expectations. My target before any season begins is to finish no lower than 17th so I'm pretty pleased right now. This won't be an opinion shared with many I'm sure but I'm probably happier/less miserable/angry than most people here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

The first half of the season was superb, 2nd half was awful... making it not a good or bad season... somewhere inbetween.

23 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Did you notice I did not say it was a good season either?

Win tonight and we are only 1 point away from 13th.

Would 13th be a bad season for this squad?

8 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

In isolation it is, but that's willfully ignoring everything else, like being fucking dogshit since January 1st.

It isn't isolation, as I explained in my original post.

21 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Presumably this also includes being superb in the first half of the season??

We had a great first half because nobody was expecting us to rock up the way we did.

It was the equivalent of punching someone full pelt in the back of the head when they aren't ready for it and can't see you coming.

Ralph got worked out pretty fast and he's come up with fuck all ever since Liverpool when he fell to his knees in tears.

I will add, this game tonight I'm fully expecting a win because there's no pressure tonight. Nothing.

Edited by JustinSFC
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Totton Saint said:

Maybe we will recover our form next season especially if Ings stays (who is going to buy him whit his injuries) and Romeo plays like he did before he got injured and the players get a  good rest in the close season

Romeu is huge for us.

44 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Entering my sixth decade as a Saints fan and in that time I've learned to temper my ambition and expectations. My target before any season begins is to finish no lower than 17th so I'm pretty pleased right now. This won't be an opinion shared with many I'm sure but I'm probably happier/less miserable/angry than most people here.

I always work on the principe of hope for the best but expert the worst. Helps keep the bed dry at the very least!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

We had a great first half because nobody was expecting us to rock up the way we did.

It was the equivalent of punching someone full pelt in the back of the head when they aren't ready for it and can't see you coming.

Ralph got worked out pretty fast and he's come up with fuck all ever since Liverpool when he fell to his knees in tears.

Even though we had a brilliant second half after "restart? From August to January? Nothing to do with the horrendous injuries that hit an already thin squad at the same time or some pretty big VAR cock ups (Aston Villa eg?).  Ralph is certainly not perfect but as a supporter of many, many years standing, I can still see something in him and am confident that providing that he is given the right tools, he will be successful for us. Some on here are short-sighted and would have sacked Lawrie Mac after he got us relegated in 72/73.....

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

I will add, this game tonight I'm fully expecting a win because there's no pressure tonight. Nothing.

It really wasnt. We have played this way for a while, and Ralph has been here almost 3 years. Our play continued from our great end of season form from last year.

Unless you think the games we played where we did great, none of the opposition managers did any prep work. 

So, as you say we got worked out by other teams, how come they didnt do that during our good spell?

Now, I'm not saying Ralph has been perfect in 2021, but shit happens, and our form has been a combination of many things.

Now, I'm not expecting a rationale, reasonable response from you. Just thought I'd mention I dont quite see this how you do and to offer a different angle 👍

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Even though we had a brilliant second half after "restart? From August to January? Nothing to do with the horrendous injuries that hit an already thin squad at the same time or some pretty big VAR cock ups (Aston Villa eg?).  Ralph is certainly not perfect but as a supporter of many, many years standing, I can still see something in him and am confident that providing that he is given the right tools, he will be successful for us. Some on here are short-sighted and would have sacked Lawrie Mac after he got us relegated in 72/73.....

Ah you bugger, you beat me to it 😉

9 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

It really wasnt. We have played this way for a while, and Ralph has been here almost 3 years. Our play continued from our great end of season form from last year.

Unless you think the games we played where we did great, none of the opposition managers did any prep work. 

So, as you say we got worked out by other teams, how come they didnt do that during our good spell?

Now, I'm not saying Ralph has been perfect in 2021, but shit happens, and our form has been a combination of many things.

Now, I'm not expecting a rationale, reasonable response from you. Just thought I'd mention I dont quite see this how you do and to offer a different angle 👍

Believe me, when Ralph is doing better than he is, I'll be his No1 fanboy.

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Muslims aren't a race. Religion is a choice made after birth.

Plus in any case it is a well studied area that fasting impacts sporting performance. 

Sorry, Tommy Robinson. 

But in seriousness, why do muslim players at other clubs seemingly cope?

As I said in the Liverpool thread, I’m surprised a professional club allow a £10m+ asset risk their performance like that. Especially that 1% makes a huge difference. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, SKD said:

Sorry, Tommy Robinson. 

As I said in the Liverpool thread, I’m surprised a professional club allow a £10m+ asset risk their performance like that. Especially that 1% makes a huge difference. 

What about that makes it something Tommy Robinson would say? You can't pick your race, you can pick your religion. That is a fact and not controversial. 

There is a huge amount of academic research showing how fasting impacts elite performance. Are you really advocating clubs stop employees fasting for religious purposes? If so... then it is you making Tommy Robinson style statements... not me! 

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SKD said:

Sorry, Tommy Robinson. 

Imagine you're a business owner. Or even just a manager of some employees below you. Would you want to tell them that they can't fast for Ramadan as their religion instructs?

Now do that scenario again with the massive amounts of publicity and scrutiny that PL level football clubs face.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

What about that makes it something Tommy Robinson would say? You can't pick your race, you can pick your religion. That is a fact and not controversial. 

There is a huge amount of academic research showing how fasting impacts elite performance. Are you really advocating clubs stop employees fasting for religious purposes? If so... then it is you making Tommy Robinson style statements... not me! 

Well if it means that we cannot play one or 2 of our players for a certain period of time (again, back to the question of why others seemingly cope), then I’d be asking questions. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, miserableoldgit said:

You mean like he was the first half of this season and the second half of last? Or are you just judging purely on the negative?

Taking saints as a club out of it and "I'll support it through thick and thin" and whatever.. Leaving that aside.

Genuinely, were you this supportive of Pellegrino? 

Because I sat through all of that and this (form wise) is every bit as bad.

Pellegrino had us where we are right now before he got booted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, SaintZamboni said:

Slightly different to the circumstances of a footballer

That wasn’t the question. I just gave the most clear example I can think of to illustrate why this line of thinking is wrong. I could probably give 100 others if I put my mind to it.

The real question is - Is it necessary to fast for Ramadan? The answer is clearly no, as PIA management have illustrated. It’s religion a la carte, when it’s convenient. As such, if an employee’s personal life was a detriment to their performance at work, I’d take issue with it.

If a player can fast with no detriment to their on pitch performance, I have no problem with that as a personal choice.

17 minutes ago, John B said:

And a few months ago we were top.

Quite a fall I would have thought and a serious warning for next season

Indeed.

Regardless of what we achieved in the first half of it, and ignoring all mitigating circumstances, any season where we equal our record defeat margin and set a new club record for consecutive defeats can only be described as a bad season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Appy said:

Not a bad season? We’re 17th. 

Played a game less than the 3 sides ahead of us 🤷‍♂️ win tonight and we go 14th (still shit compared to early season tbh) - draw and we go 16th - Still 3 games to go after tonight

First half of the season was good, second half crap. 

If it were the other way around, we'd be lauding Ralph as some of managerial genius for taking a shit squad (probably languishing at the bottom of the table all season) and turning it round. 

Questions need to be answered but I don't think our situation is terrible going into next season. We play high intensity football in a season with fixtures coming thick and fast and just don't have the squad for it, especially with the injuries we suffered. It's Gao that needs to put his hand in his pocket (ha) and find some money to improve the first team. Improve the first team and you improve the squad automatically as the existing first teamers have to fight for their places. (Can't see it but live in hope.)

Still it would be nice to finish on a high. I can't see us sacking Ralph so we just have to hope the second half of this season is the worst form we ever see again. Who's to blame? For me a bit of everyone really.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JustinSFC said:

Taking saints as a club out of it and "I'll support it through thick and thin" and whatever.. Leaving that aside.

Are you genuinely comparing what RH has achieved with MP???

2 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

I can assure you, Hassenhutl with that same squad gets us 8th minimum.

Pellegrino ruined what was a successful squad and the damage is still being felt.

Edited by Pamplemousse
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

People comparing pellagrino and Ralph- mind boggling. Tell me when pellagrino had us top of the league or playing decent football (at any point).

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-1 Palace - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic