Saints 3-1 Palace - Match Thread

Minsk

Next match only 2 days away and surprised no match build-up thread yet. Can't remember ever starting one before, so here goes....

I would imagine there will be a few changes. Probably Macca in in Fraser (although I would prefer to stick with the big guy); Maybe Djenepo and Minamino in for Theo and one of the Nathans (probably Tella)? Would be great if Ings and Romeu were both in the starting 11, but only really holding out hope for them being on the bench in all honesty. I would also like to see Salisu given a start, alongside Vest as CB.

It must be time for our customary storming finish to a season. One win will do me. I hope the players aren't packing their holiday bags already.

Seriously, we can do better than we have. Let Ingsy be our inspiration 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fanimal said:

Has to make 3/4 changes at least as we have 3 games in 8 days keep the best 11 for Fulham the other two of no concern apart fro me being in the Stadium for Leeds so I will be the 12th man

Could be mathematically safe before then. If so, I would like to see changes to see what we may have for the future.

I remember the first game of the season, we'd had a storming end to the previous season and were feeling confident, Palace had virtually no fit defenders and still managed to beat us 1-0. Hopefully we can at least get a goal this time. 

1-1. 

Salisu in for bednerak push vesty to RCB ..Danny ings made a cameo appearance on redknapps big night out and said he should be fit for palace but we shall see ..ings bench .. obafemi in for Adams ..tella to start again ..keep Armstrong and jwp together..Stephens LB .. couple mistakes v Liverpool but did ok there .

If Fulham lose tonight, we should start planning for next season immediately. No point investing any more time in players that aren't going to be with us moving forward.

Get Salisu into his proper position and have a good look at Jankewitz and Ferry; see if Obafemi still has a future here.

Keeper; KWP, Bednarek, Salisu, Ferry; Jankewitz, Ward-Prowse; Armstrong, Tella; Adams, Obafemi.

Edited by qwertyell
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

If Fulham lose tonight, we should start planning for next season immediately. No point investing any more time in players that aren't going to be with us moving forward.

Get Salisu into his proper position and have a good look at Jankewitz and Ferry; see if Obefemi still has a future here.

Keeper; KWP, Bednarek, Salisu, Ferry; Jankewitz, Ward-Prowse; Armstrong, Tella; Adams, Obefemi.

Sensible post and line up, sadly Ralph refuses to use any more than 14 players so no chance Jankewitz or Ferry play. 

Perfect game to test 2-3 youngsters, particularly if Fulham lose tonight. Sadly Ralph will not do this, possibly because contracts get in the way. Think we’ll lose though unless Ings is providing a threat....just got so little threat up top. Head says 0-1, heart says 2-1.

Keep playing Tella. Against Liverpool I was much more impressed by his vision that the mere speed-merchant I had previously seen. The more he plays, the more experience he gets and the more confident he will become.

I suspect we will see a strong side not too dissimilar to the Liverpool game but with Minamino in, although I'd like to see Salisu given more run outs for the last few games as well as Jankewitz (to see if he really 'has it') and Obafemi to see if he can be an answer up front next season.

The last 4 fixtures are winnable if we can find some early season form. I have a sneaking suspicion we may get something tomorrow, despite Palace winning their last game. 6/ 7 points more could see us finish above Burnley, Brighton and Newcastle and, yes, I know that still sounds terrible but it would still finish the season on a positive note.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Get Salisu into his proper position and have a good look at Jankewitz and Ferry; see if Obefemi still has a future here.

Keeper; KWP, Bednarek, Salisu, Ferry; Jankewitz, Ward-Prowse; Armstrong, Tella; Adams, Obefemi.

Not sure Ferry has done enough to earn a first team game, but nothing to lose by giving him a chance. You look at that side and good to see some pace going forward, but no natural finishers, I think we'll struggle to score again 

If Ings is back then I think we have a very good chance. Want to see Ings and Adams start together from now on. Tella and Armstrong in behind them and get Salisu in the backline somewhere, quality player who needs a chance now to learn the league so he can be a regular starter next season.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

If Ings is back then I think we have a very good chance. Want to see Ings and Adams start together from now on. Tella and Armstrong in behind them and get Salisu in the backline somewhere, quality player who needs a chance now to learn the league so he can be a regular starter next season.

exactly right. I'd start Salisu as a CB

Did Ralph mention any injury problems from the weekend? I wouldn't be surprised if KWP is out, the knock to his knee near the end was clearly painful, and he was not very mobile afterwards.

Could be that Ralph will play Salisu at LB, he is better going forward in that position than Stephens, who was actually very good there defensively (especially when we were operating 3 at the back which we were doing frequently). Yes he did have one bad lapse with Salah, which could have cost us, but quite honestly who doesn't have problems with Mo. What Stephens does give is a lot of vocals and organisation, think he would be better replacing Bednarek at the moment, keeping Vest on the left side where he is best. 

Doesn't affect tomorrow, but the first goal Saturday should have been dealt with by a competent keeper, sadly we don't have one at the moment, hopefully this will be addressed in the Summer. 

I'd like to see Bednarek on the bench for a rest then bring him on at around the sixty minute mark.Give Jankewitz a start,Salisu at left back and hopefully Danny back to score a couple. I wont write this off as an walkover but I want to see JWP wind up Zaha up so he gets all cobby. With the right approach three points are possible. I live in hope. 

My ideal starting 11 if Bertrand is the only player not available:

Forster; KWP-Vest-Salisu-Stephens; JWP-Romeu; Tella-Armstrong; Adams-Ings

If KWP unavailable: JWP to RB, Armstrong to CM, Minamino AM

If Ings and Romeu only fit for the bench:

Forster; KWP-Vest-Salisu-Stephens; JWP-Armstrong; Tella-Minamino; Adams-Obafemi

If KWP unavailable: JWP to RB, Diallo to CM

However, I am expecting Ralph to go with:

Macca; KWP-Bednarek-Vest-Stephens; JWP-Romeu(if not fit to start Diallo); Theo-Armstrong; Adams-Ings (if Ings not fit to start Minamino)

1 hour ago, Minsk said:

My ideal starting 11 if Bertrand is the only player not available:

Forster; KWP-Vest-Salisu-Stephens; JWP-Romeu; Tella-Armstrong; Adams-Ings

If KWP unavailable: JWP to RB, Armstrong to CM, Minamino AM

If Ings and Romeu only fit for the bench:

Forster; KWP-Vest-Salisu-Stephens; JWP-Armstrong; Tella-Minamino; Adams-Obafemi

If KWP unavailable: JWP to RB, Diallo to CM

However, I am expecting Ralph to go with:

Macca; KWP-Bednarek-Vest-Stephens; JWP-Romeu(if not fit to start Diallo); Theo-Armstrong; Adams-Ings (if Ings not fit to start Minamino)

Romeu is not fit yet. And Ralph said he’ll give the keepers 2 games then swap, it’ll be Forster in goal I’d think. 

9 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

My team for tomorrow night would be:

Forster; KWP, Vestergaard, Salisu, Stephens, Armstrong, JWP, Jankewitz, Tella, Adams, Ings

Hopefully we can get back to winning ways - im going for 2-0 to us with Ings getting both :) COYR :)

This should be our new mantra….it’s surely been the most commonly repeated sentence in ‘pre match build up threads’……

time to replace ‘We March On’…..

8 hours ago, DT said:

Fail to win this one and we don't deserve to stay up. What a terrible, terrible second half of the season. Amazing Ralph is still in a job.

Pick Salisu, for god sake.

Surely if we finish 17th or better, over 38 games, we do deserve to stay up, or am I missing something?

Next season you may be correct.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I'd play Jankewitz for the next three games. Would have hoped Ralph might say to him show me what you have got. Three games to show that you deserve to be in the team

If he doesn’t, I’d expect him to be sold in the summer. Makes no sense not to give him a chance otherwise. 

I find myself wondering why it all went so wrong Since match day 25 we are bottom of the Prem. Romeu is certainly a big miss and likewise Ings. But we currently have no teeth in attack. I like Che Adam’s as a hard working honest striver but he’s not a Premier League striker. Sadly Theo Walcott’s obvious joy (and consequent  contribution) at returning to the Saints soon fizzled out and he now looks as ineffectual as at his previous clubs. I’m generally impressed by Kyle W-P, and Wedtergard amazes me with his passing moving forward so it’s a pity he’s not very good at defending on the ground.  We have some other good players but something is seriously wrong looking at this table. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB1?saison_id=2020&min=20&max=35

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I'd play Jankewitz for the next three games. Would have hoped Ralph might say to him show me what you have got. Three games to show that you deserve to be in the team

But he doesn't want to be here, he's said he wants to leave the club and handed in a transfer request - he'd probably be happier to avoid injury if he's still keen to go.

17 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

But he doesn't want to be here, he's said he wants to leave the club and handed in a transfer request - he'd probably be happier to avoid injury if he's still keen to go.

He handed in a transfer request because he wants to play. If he plays, he might not want to go. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

But surely if Ralph said to the lad you have three games to show me why you should be here, he would get a response from that. I know he probably feels like he has been dicked around, but if the only alternative is a few second rate clubs in Holland or Belgium, it might give him a bit of motivation to stay. I have no idea if he is going to make it here, but would be good to see him have a fair chance.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

But surely if Ralph said to the lad you have three games to show me why you should be here, he would get a response from that. I know he probably feels like he has been dicked around, but if the only alternative is a few second rate clubs in Holland or Belgium, it might give him a bit of motivation to stay. I have no idea if he is going to make it here, but would be good to see him have a fair chance.

6 minutes ago, egg said:

He handed in a transfer request because he wants to play. If he plays, he might not want to go. 

Hopefully you're both right and he comes good but the signs aren't good.

3 hours ago, egg said:

Exactly, that's the most logical conclusion to draw.   Ralph has to play him...to find out and to give him the opportunity.     Otherwise, what was the point of the Man U start?    Would also like to see more of Obafemi, even at the expense of Tella, who for all his pace, worries me with his poor touch and lack of composure.    Surely Salisu has earned an involved finish to the season as well.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cambsaint said:

I find it somewhat amusing that nobody picked Bednarek in their preferred team, and yet on Sky's stats tonight he tops the number of interceptions made by some distanve.

If you have watched any recent games you would see why, plus hopefully some team in the league cherry picks stats like this and offers us silly money for him! Replaceable. 

• Like 1

We seem to have been extremely cautious with easing Salisu into the team. When he's come in he's done well. The occasional faux pas of course but that's the Southampton Way. Be good to see him get some more pitch time in the last few games.

• Like 1

I didn't really appreciate Ralph's polarising comments on our developing players at the Fans Forum, to the effect that some had taken their chance, while others had blown it.

Jankewitz was too keen to get involved, made a bad tackle and now RH won't give him a go. What about Caleb Watts, N'Lundulu and a host of others? Tella seems to have impressed.

I'm not saying all will make the grade, but Ralph has been quick to dismiss them. Part of his role is to develop what he has. He is stuck in this groove of "I don't have enough, I need more players."

I'm hoping he will use the final four games to take a look at these lads before consigning them to the 'useless' pile, but I don't think he will. Prove me wrong, Ralph.

25 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

I didn't really appreciate Ralph's polarising comments on our developing players at the Fans Forum, to the effect that some had taken their chance, while others had blown it.

Jankewitz was too keen to get involved, made a bad tackle and now RH won't give him a go. What about Caleb Watts, N'Lundulu and a host of others? Tella seems to have impressed.

I'm not saying all will make the grade, but Ralph has been quick to dismiss them. Part of his role is to develop what he has. He is stuck in this groove of "I don't have enough, I need more players."

I'm hoping he will use the final four games to take a look at these lads before consigning them to the 'useless' pile, but I don't think he will. Prove me wrong, Ralph.

N’Lundulu is shite, probably why he isn’t being used, shown nothing to prove he’s good enough. 

38 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Yes, agree. His man management doesn't appear that great. Seems to have his 'friends', and those he has just ignored. Suspect with Jankevitz it's a bit deeper though. Attitude/ego problem from him or his agent or both? (added to the transfer request) Otherwise we would have seen him. Makes no sense. Ralph also played Redmond when he should have been dropped long ago and still seems pretty reticent to play Salisu, for some reason.

9 minutes ago, DT said:

Yes, agree. His man management doesn't appear that great. Seems to have his 'friends', and those he has just ignored. Suspect with Jankevitz it's a bit deeper though. Attitude/ego problem from him or his agent or both? (added to the transfer request) Otherwise we would have seen him. Makes no sense. Ralph also played Redmond when he should have been dropped long ago and still seems pretty reticent to play Salisu, for some reason.

Beginning to think there was more to that tackle on Mctominay.

I would like to think it wasn't sinisterly malicious, but the way Ralph has treated him ever since, it might have been, we just don't know it.

Especially, after the Transfer request stunt he pulled.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-1 Palace - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic