Reasons why we won't get relegated next season

benjii

Because there are atleast three teams that are worse? We are better than Palace, Burnley, Brighton, and pretty level with Newcastle. Norwich are no better than last time they entered the league and finished 20th, still have little money to reinvest, and have lost some good players already. Both Brentford and Swansea are very average sides with again very little money. And watford again are worse than last time they were in the league and don't have much money. That is 7 teams who we are better than, we have had a poor end to the season but we are definitely not favourites for relegation at all.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, TWar said:

Because there are atleast three teams that are worse? We are better than Palace, Burnley, Brighton, and pretty level with Newcastle. Norwich are no better than last time they entered the league and finished 20th, still have little money to reinvest, and have lost some good players already. Both Brentford and Swansea are very average sides with again very little money. And watford again are worse than last time they were in the league and don't have much money. That is 7 teams who we are better than, we have had a poor end to the season but we are definitely not favourites for relegation at all.

"Poor end".

We've lost 15 of the last 21 league matches. That's one of the worst runs in PL history. We had a few dodgy decisions (Villa at home) but, still, we seem incapable of grinding out results.

The good run we had at the start involved largely outperforming our XG. In other words, there is evidence that this run is our level and the early run was a purple patch. We scored lots of goals from set pieces and from outside the box. You can't rely on that. And for Villa at home there is Brighton away, where a ridiculous decision earned us 2 points.

Could happen again, but I doubt it. We have stayed up because we've beaten the other bad teams enough this season but if the promoted three are better next season it will be very tough. 

It'll be a surprise if Ings is here next season. Maybe not Vest either. Bertrand is gone. So three signings, potentially, just to stand still. What happens if someone comes in for JWP? Reckon we'll fend them off? Plus still hamstrung in the goalkeeping department and an owner with zero drive, interest or motivation other than getting some cash back. 

I think we're a good bet for the drop.

Edited by benjii
  • Like 2

The only positive slant I can make is that I'm fairly sure there would have been a similar thread on WHU's forums last season.

They came from nowhere to qualify for Europe, but it was aided by adding some experience in Soucek, Coufal and Dawson. Not flashy signings by any means, but experience and character which injected life into their team. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

There’re other sh*t clubs in this league and a lot can depend on recruitment. Look at how West Ham bounced back from last season’s relegation fight, you never know.

Moyes is about 10X a better manager than Ralph.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Right, well when Ralph gets the chance to manage Antonio, Coufal, Soucek, Rice, Yarmolenko, Fornals, Bowen, Lanzini, Benramha and Lingard I’ll be inclined to agree with you.

• Like 6

Just now, Lighthouse said:

Right, well when Ralph gets the chance to manage Antonio, Coufal, Soucek, Rice, Yarmolenko, Fornals, Bowen, Lanzini, Benramha and Lingard I’ll be inclined to agree with you.

That's exactly the point.  By taking a realistic view - and even though Ralph surely has done many mistakes lately - we do have a lack of quality compared with many other teams... that's just the way it is

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Would have been our manager in 2001 but for Rupert not allowing him to bring his backroom team with him. Stuart Grey instead.

SFC - a longstanding ability to create a clusterfuck all of it's own. Some things never change.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

You don't know that though, you're just guessing with no real facts to back up those points.

Of course I don't know that.

The blokes at West ham.

But if you're suggesting he'd lose 15 out of 21 and get mashed 9-0 twice in the space of a year then ok. Fill your boots.

Because no way.

• Like 2

Perhaps Ralph will be gone by then, Redmond will get a bar job, and we get a new owner that hires a manager that can build a more resilient playing style that focuses on a strong spine, decent keeper, fitness, and the ability to score goals as a bonus. That and the three teams coming up not having the squad depth etc

Adkins wasn’t a bad manager for us but do you remember how quickly we instantly improved when pochetino took over..we transformed instantly into a hard working horrible to play against teams and the tactics worked a treat.

judt wanted to put that out there for those saying it’s the players and no one could get a tune out of them better then Ralph..

gotta ask the questions does Ralph make tactical changes that benefit us very often in game ?

does he learn from bad runs of form and do differant things to try get a differant result ?

is his player selection and use of subs good?

all the talk about him being some thinking manager that analyses the shit out of everything and has tactics and his finger on the pulse of everything I’m really not seeing it 

More of the same next season please. It’s it just a privilege to be in this league to play against all these great sides. Being in this league is all that matters. Another successful season of surviving, enjoying the premier league money, playing against these great sides. Can’t wait for August!

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3

11 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Why would I have said the opposite last season?

Moyes is a better manager than your mate Ralph full stop.

Because West ham survived by a smaller margin than we did this season and you would have called him some choice names.

Ralf is not my mate but he's not a c### either

• Like 3

1 hour ago, benjii said:

"Poor end".

We've lost 15 of the last 21 league matches. That's one of the worst runs in PL history. We had a few dodgy decisions (Villa at home) but, still, we seem incapable of grinding out results.

The good run we had at the start involved largely outperforming our XG. In other words, there is evidence that this run is our level and the early run was a purple patch. We scored lots of goals from set pieces and from outside the box. You can't rely on that. And for Villa at home there is Brighton away, where a ridiculous decision earned us 2 points.

Could happen again, but I doubt it. We have stayed up because we've beaten the other bad teams enough this season but if the promoted three are better next season it will be very tough. 

It'll be a surprise if Ings is here next season. Maybe not Vest either. Bertrand is gone. So three signings, potentially, just to stand still. What happens if someone comes in for JWP? Reckon we'll fend them off? Plus still hamstrung in the goalkeeping department and an owner with zero drive, interest or motivation other than getting some cash back. 

I think we're a good bet for the drop.

So you start a thread asking for reasons why we won’t be relegated next season....then go on a hissy fit when someone gives a sensible, level headed abs positive response. LOL 🤣🤣

Edited by Dorchester Saint

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Redmond making a difference 

258BDD56-97C5-4870-987E-FA2F18A1ABAB.jpeg

I wonder what he's daydreaming about at that moment? Probably suddenly remembered he hasn't got any milk in the fridge and needs to pick some up on the way home at Fleet services. 

23 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

So you start a thread asking for reasons why we won’t be relegated next season....then go on a hissy fit when someone gives a sensible, level headed abs positive response. LOL 🤣🤣

"Hissy fit"? 

I posed a question. He responded. I gave a response. No one was unpleasant or dramatic.

Sorry if this is a bit much for you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Turkish said:

More of the same next season please. It’s it just a privilege to be in this league to play against all these great sides. Being in this league is all that matters. Another successful season of surviving, enjoying the premier league money, playing against these great sides. Can’t wait for August!

Fingers crossed all three relegated sides come straight back up for the 22-23 season because that means we get some parachute money back. So much to look forward to.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We  need to get ourselves OUT of the cups ASAP next season to give us the best chance of survival as well 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, JRM said:

I wonder what he's daydreaming about at that moment? Probably suddenly remembered he hasn't got any milk in the fridge and needs to pick some up on the way home at Fleet services. 

Probably wondering which TV channel he’s going to be on when he retires as he’s virtually guaranteed to get a pundit gig on one of them. 

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Redmond making a difference 

258BDD56-97C5-4870-987E-FA2F18A1ABAB.jpeg

To be fair you've got to give him some credit he *is* watching the ball 🤣

I recall another incident in the Leeds away game, approx 25 mins gone if anyone has a recording, and still 0-0 and we had a turnover attack. He was approx where the WHU 5 is in pic above with the whole pitch forward left of him empty and a diagonal ball from our right wing went over his head. He made a token jog to "chase" it (effectively just gave it up as a throw in) only to finally break out into a too late 5 yard fast jog as a Leeds midfielder sprinted back from half way line and got the ball before it reached the touch line. 

That and todays offside summed up his season. Lazy easy option every time.

6 minutes ago, JRM said:

We  need to get ourselves OUT of the cups ASAP next season to give us the best chance of survival as well 

Exactly. No need for pointless cup games when we can rest our players to keep them fresh to be plucky losers in big leagues games.

11 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

Why would I have said the opposite last season?

Moyes is a better manager than your mate Ralph full stop.

Moyes was jogging along at Everton , failed at ManU , failed at W Ham , brought back at W Ham and with some new players has had a good season . He has done well to re establish himself but looked lost last time round . To compare him with Ralph I suggest you need to see how Ralph does over a longer time first ! Hopefully next season Ralph can make Saints less predictable now the other teams know how to counter our game plan .

22 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Moyes was jogging along at Everton , failed at ManU , failed at W Ham , brought back at W Ham and with some new players has had a good season . He has done well to re establish himself but looked lost last time round . To compare him with Ralph I suggest you need to see how Ralph does over a longer time first ! Hopefully next season Ralph can make Saints less predictable now the other teams know how to counter our game plan .

Not sure he failed first time at West Ham - came in to sort them out and keep them up which he did pretty effectively. I'd think he did better in the two thirds of a season he had than Ralph has done in the equivalent time this season. And Moyes was walking into a club and a team that wasn't his.

He didn't get the full time gig not because he failed but because he wasn't a sexy appointment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

I can't work out if you're being serious or not.

Any manager, I mean ANY....

Including Pep Guardiola would have failed taking the United job immediately after Ferguson.

Also, how long do you want me to judge Ralph over before calling him one notch up from Mark Hughes.. ?Barely. Just about.

Next season is his 4th Season here.

Now...

If you're suggesting Moyes would have lost 15 of his last 21, including not one but two 9-0 hammerings, 1 of which this season, getting soundly beaten by a bottom 6 team playing with 9 men and breaking our record for most goals conceded in a single season (2 short of fucking seventy) then I don't know what to tell you.

Because regardless of whether Moyes is a wank manager or not and I think he's exponentially better than Ralph tactically, there is no way on god's green earth he has the season we've just had.

No way. Not a chance.

Edited by JustinSFC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Including Pep Guardiola would have failed taking the United job immediately after Ferguson.

Also, how long do you want me to judge Ralph over before calling him one notch up from Mark Hughes.. ?Barely. Just about.

Now...

If you're suggesting Moyes would have lost 15 of his last 21, including not one but two 9-0 hammerings, 1 of which this season, getting soundly beaten by a bottom 6 team playing with 9 men and breaking our record for most goals conceded in a single season (2 short of fucking seventy) then I don't know what to tell you.

Because regardless of whether Moyes is a wank manager or not and I think he's exponentially better than Ralph tactically, there is no way on god's green earth he has the season we've just had.

No way. Not a chance.

Also worth noting that Moyes managed to get West Ham up to 6th without a recognised striker. 

35 minutes ago, SKD said:

Also worth noting that Moyes managed to get West Ham up to 6th without a recognised striker. 

We laugh at West Ham and many fans turned their nose up when Moyes was suggested as manager. We are superior to them both.

On 24/05/2021 at 12:27, JustinSFC said:

Now...

No way. Not a chance.

I get your point but I was pointing out Moyes rep took a hit after he left Everton and for some reason was given a second chance at W Ham . The team did well esp compared with us this season so I am hoping Ralph can get it back on track next season in the same way . If it starts to go dowener hill next season then Ralph must move on !!