Saints 1-0 Leeds - Match Thread

Mr X

11 minutes ago, West Stand said:

I feel like I know many real old faithful supporters feel that we have played some good football this season but have not got results, yesterday we did!

This 100% 

first half at Everton and Newcastle especially we ripped into them. We were the better “team” at Man City and should have won, as we should have at Newcastle. Second half at Everton we deserved to lose. 

Cant say to much about the home games as I have only watched Wolves all the way through, where again we were the better team but a bit wishy washy up front. Highlights of yesterday we were much the better team and solid against a very good West Ham side. 

I do think we are better set up for away games and counter attack very direct, which we managed to do at home yesterday. I think we have looked more dangerous away and exciting watch. We have so many players that can run directly at defenders and they should do it more often. We lack a premier league striker and I think we may have just found one 🤞 

Edited by Dr Who?

4 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

This 100% 

first half at Everton and Newcastle especially we ripped into them. We were the better “team” at Man City and should have won, as we should have at Newcastle. Second half at Everton we deserved to lose. 

Cant say to much about the home games as I have only watched Wolves all the way through, where again we were the better team but a bit wishy washy up front. Highlights of yesterday we were much the better team and solid against a very good West Ham side. 

I do think we are better set up for away games and counter attack very direct, which we managed to do at home yesterday. I think we have looked more dangerous away and exciting watch. 

I agree. We have only looked poor in the 2nd half away at Everton. In all other matches we have performed well, matching or bettering the opposition for the majority. 

We are completely different to the team that played last season. Our only real lack has been in scoring goals. Too many lazy posters keep banging on about how Ralph never changes tactics, only ever plays one formation, how his subs are always wrong, etc; without admitting that has certainly not been true in this campaign. Strangely, they are also mostly the same ones who were saying our (great) 2020 results meant nothing but keep harping on about the (poo) 2021 ones...... As well as being the ones pointing out how many players Leeds had missing while ignoring the fact we started without 4 who would normally be in our first 11 ourselves.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Minsk said:

I agree. We have only looked poor in the 2nd half away at Everton. In all other matches we have performed well, matching or bettering the opposition for the majority. 

We are completely different to the team that played last season. Our only real lack has been in scoring goals. Too many lazy posters keep banging on about how Ralph never changes tactics, only ever plays one formation, how his subs are always wrong, etc; without admitting that has certainly not been true in this campaign. Strangely, they are also mostly the same ones who were saying our (great) 2020 results meant nothing but keep harping on about the (poo) 2021 ones...... As well as being the ones pointing out how many players Leeds had missing while ignoring the fact we started without 4 who would normally be in our first 11 ourselves.

I would just go with the fact that people are entitled to their own opinion and in all walks of life this happens, but even more in football and then again in a forum. He has us playing football in the right way and has had his hands tied with transfers and acted very professionally. I would like to see him around for the long term here’s to the next 3 years for stability! 

• Like 3

Just now, Dr Who? said:

I would just go with the fact that people are entitled to their own opinion and in all walks of life this happens, but even more in football and then again in a forum. He has us playing football in the right way and has had his hands tied with transfers and acted very professionally. I would like to see him around for the long term here’s to the next 3 years for stability! 

Fully agree 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Minsk said:

I broadly agree with your general point (we do seem much better than the second half of last season) but you're underpaying how bad we were vs Wolves. We never really looked like winning and their goal and the inevitable result was straight out of the 20-21 playbook. The "we played some good stuff" stuff is smoke and mirrors sometimes. Propaganda football as WGS used to say.

That's the type of performance that will keep us in the relegation zone, and I don't know yet how many of them we have in us this season. If it's a few, we're screwed. Burnley next week an excellent test.

Edited by CB Fry

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I broadly agree with your general point (we do seem much better than the second half of last season) but you're underpaying how bad we were vs Wolves. We never really looked like winning and their goal and the inevitable result was straight out of the 20-21 playbook. The "we played some good stuff" stuff is smoke and mirrors sometimes. Propaganda football as WGS used to say.

That's the type of performance that will keep us in the relegation zone, and I don't know yet how many of them we have in us this season. If it's a few, we're screwed. Burnley next week an excellent test.

We were certainly the better team against Wolves. I agree in that we never looked like scoring. A lot of very weak or rushed efforts. Their goal was calamitous. Bednarek being outmuscled at the same time as Salisu managed to slip on his arse. Nothing to do with Ralph's tactics or our set up. We weren't outplayed. Wolves got lucky. It was a disappointing result, sure. One that has really got under the skin of so may posters on here. Yet it neither put us in the relegation zone nor kept us there. We haven't been in the bottom 3 (yet) at all this season, and I don't think we will drop into it.

You are right in that Burnley will be a good test next week. Let's hope there isn't a storm raging overhead..... 

Pleased Redders has hit form out of the blue. Where did that excellent performance come  from ? I watched SKY coverage this am. Good commentary. Redders corners were better than JWP's IMO. I thought saints played so well and as the Moussa's pass that set off the move that ended in a goal, was world class.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Minsk said:

We were certainly the better team against Wolves. I agree in that we never looked like scoring. A lot of very weak or rushed efforts. Their goal was calamitous. Bednarek being outmuscled at the same time as Salisu managed to slip on his arse. Nothing to do with Ralph's tactics or our set up. We weren't outplayed. Wolves got lucky. It was a disappointing result, sure. One that has really got under the skin of so may posters on here. Yet it neither put us in the relegation zone nor kept us there. We haven't been in the bottom 3 (yet) at all this season, and I don't think we will drop into it.

You are right in that Burnley will be a good test next week. Let's hope there isn't a storm raging overhead..... 

you forget we fielded a different team yesterday

Well played Ralf and team, it is getting better each game, players are getting the system Ralf has employed and executing it much more effectively.  He may be my favorite coach of all time. Why you say dat...many of the none Ralf fans cry out....because of the Man has a plan! A bloody playbook! A style that is exciting, brave, energetic and full of automism :) , I am learning Ralfy.

He has employed the press better than any manager has, ( yes, better than Poch) but it took awhile,  alot of triggers needed to be learned, pressing as a team, covering the spaces left by the pressure, etc. Ralf is so committed to his style he will not change his plans even when we are getting thumped, keep pressing, stretching, learn it as we loose, because we have to get it right!

Tella's preseason interview confirmed that Ralf was drilling the press into them, so much that Tella thought we are much better at it and "any team that can defeat our press has done very well". I see it for myself, and it looks alot more solid, our defensive record is improving as we get better at the system. This is a very difficult system, even the master, Beliesa was shown how it is done!

Ralf's passion to do better is infectious, he is totally living the game as it goes on. The recruiting since he has been here is excellent for the budget we have. Even the so called usless players (moi, redder, dj) are now being seen as good players, that is good coaching. 

Ralf may not be everyones cup of tea, but for me I would have no one else, a big man, big character,  big ideas, big results and I big up my coach. Thank you for making Saints exciting again, win or loss, it is usually exciting ball.

Ps. Found it very amusing watching Manu trying to press when they were loosing, not a  CLUE! with the intro of Ronaldo this season, they will never be able to press a team effectively again. If it is a half hearted press it will fail and leave you more exposed.

BIG UP THE TEAM,  THEY ALL PLAYED VERY WELL!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Post match entertainment at both ends of Britannia road was mildly amusing. Down by the ground windmills and swinging handbags from Leeds fans who looked easily old enough to know better - They even had a Harris from football factory, complete with cream bomber jacket, over seeing the high kicking arm waving can can girls. Down by the traffic lights the action was done with the Rozzers sat on one or two naughty boys,  with a big onlooking crowd from both sides.

Apparently there was a bit of aggro around St Mary's street after too? 

Was a very busy day according to my mate who does security at St Mary's. 

50 minutes ago, Singapore Saint said:

I'll make a prediction: Salisu to Newcastle for £35 million or he stays at Saints for the rest of his career and becomes captain eventually. (Am I a coward for hedging my bet?)

He would cost them far more than that, imho.

• Like 2

I predicted a 2-0 away win.
Thankfully I was wrong.
Leeds would have been stronger opponents with their star players on the field but we have to beat what is in front of us and part from one mistake by Salisu, who was otherwise excellent, it was a relatively easy win.
In  fact the back four were all good and much as I like KWP, I think the naturally left footed Peraud is a better bet at Left Back.
Big up to Diallo, who I thought did very well in midfield as Romeu was not up to his high standard so far this season.
Redmond had his best game of the season and Broja had a physical presence upfront which has been missing.
Mo also seems to be adding something much more positive to his game than when he was last here.
However, what to make of Djenepo?
I thought he was having a shocker then he provided a top class pass to Redmond which led to the goal.
To my mind having Stuart Armestong back on the right side of midfield with Redmond moving over to the left will be a general improvment.
Lastly what an excellent signing our new 18 year old right back has been.
I wonder what his value is now?

• Like 1

From where I sat half way up the Chapel behind the goal, I thought Salisu was outstanding and he appears in the DT Team of the weekend today. Natham Redmond had an excellent game too and his ball control and trickery was a sight indeed .Long may it continue.

• Like 3

On 16/10/2021 at 17:15, Toadhall Saint said:

Thought it was a walk in the park. Only criticism I have is that we should have scored more. Salisu is going from strength to strength 

Is this partly due to our coaching team which includes Ralph. albeit credit to the player too adjusting to the PL. Excellent replacement for Vest. Jack Stevens was playing well before his injury, so when he comes back we will have good back up for the back four

On 16/10/2021 at 17:20, TWar said:

Salisu is incredible, Ralph's move to 4141 was inspired and directly led to our victory, and Elyounoussi looks really good at the moment as does Diallo. Also Stuart Armstrong is back! Good news across the board imo.

Everyone hitting top form at the same time - great. Bring on Burnley I CAN'T WAIT

2 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

Everyone hitting top form at the same time - great. Bring on Burnley I CAN'T WAIT

Certainly does feel weird being excited for a game! Also a selection dilemma for the first time in a while in multiple positions. KWP or Perraud, Broja or Adams, Armstrong or Redmond, when he comes back which two of Diallo, JWP, or Romeu. It's nice to have these problems!

It's amazing what a win will do to our morale! I had concerns in the last 10/15 minutes that they'd equalize but that's just my training -  if I were being rational and based on the game I was watching I'd have been more relaxed..

A number of minor points. Broja getting cramp hints at why both Albania and Saints' management have been managing his appearances. Elyounoussi seems fitter and more um.. robust which enables him to use his skill more effectively. Diallo also getting stronger and you feel there is more to come. Djenepo and Redmond both frustrate occasionally because you know what they can do, and then they combined wonderfully for the goal to prove the point. Other players all improving too to the extent you wonder how long we'll keep them. Armstrong still not fully fit or sharp but it's great to have him on the way back. 

Burnley can be right party poopers but I'm now allowing my optimism a freer rein.

• Like 6