Saints 1-0 Leeds - Match Thread

Mr X

20 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Several good performances today.  Top performers for me were Salisu, very dominant, and Diallo - his best performance in a Saints shirt.

Salisu was excellent, but he didn't have a great deal to defend against if we're honest. Generally speaking though Salisu has started the season as well as anyone.

I was more impressed with Diallo on the day though who seems to have got stronger, gives us a much more dynamism midfield when he plays due to his turn of pace.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Teddeer said:

The biggest bit of good news was that Ralph was finally forced to give Broja a try up front. He shouldn't have had to wait for Adams to get injured to give him his first start in the Prem.

It was great to see the lad get his first league start, and even better for him to get his first goal. I agree with you that he adds a lot with his height and pace. I believe he has a very good career ahead of him and we should enjoy him whilst he is here.

However, Ralph wasn't 'forced' into starting him today. He could have easily gone with Arma instead (which was the only player I got wrong in my prediction of Ralph's starting 11 for today). Personally, I would have started both of them, with Redmond and Tella behind (you can check all this in my post on page 2 of this thread if you like). I would imagine that Ralph opted to go with Broja today because he now believes that he is ready; whereas he didn't previously. Broja wasn't match ready for the first 2, didn't even make the squad. Obviously he couldn't be selected against Chelsea either.  He has then been given starts in both cup matches and brought off the bench in all other games he has been available for. It's not as if Ralph has been ignoring him. He has been man-managing a very good young player. Also, whilst he did very well today, had Armando had more composure and experience maybe he would have slipped Redmond through for a (certain) 2nd instead of blasting straight at the keeper.

As I asked you before, which matches would you have thrust a young player into the starting 11 for? Given his only full professional experience in English football was as a sub in the last 5 minutes 2 seasons ago. Who would he have started instead of?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Minsk said:

It was great to see the lad get his first league start, and even better for him to get his first goal. I agree with you that he adds a lot with his height and pace. I believe he has a very good career ahead of him and we should enjoy him whilst he is here.

However, Ralph wasn't 'forced' into starting him today. He could have easily gone with Arma instead (which was the only player I got wrong in my prediction of Ralph's starting 11 for today). Personally, I would have started both of them, with Redmond and Tella behind (you can check all this in my post on page 2 of this thread if you like). I would imagine that Ralph opted to go with Broja today because he now believes that he is ready; whereas he didn't previously. Broja wasn't match ready for the first 2, didn't even make the squad. Obviously he couldn't be selected against Chelsea either.  He has then been given starts in both cup matches and brought off the bench in all other games he has been available for. It's not as if Ralph has been ignoring him. He has been man-managing a very good young player. Also, whilst he did very well today, had Armando had more composure and experience maybe he would have slipped Redmond through for a (certain) 2nd instead of blasting straight at the keeper.

As I asked you before, which matches would you have thrust a young player into the starting 11 for? Given his only full professional experience in English football was as a sub in the last 5 minutes 2 seasons ago. Who would he have started instead of?

I can' make it any clearer - I have said I believe he is our best striker so clearly I'd have started him in every league game. Maybe he is a bit raw but I like that about him and he won't learn younger and for me he will thrive and evolve far quicker by being given the responsibilty of leading the line than by being on the bench. It is just my opinion and I get that you don't agree with it.

2 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

I can' make it any clearer - I have said I believe he is our best striker so clearly I'd have started him in every league game. Maybe he is a bit raw but I like that about him and he won't learn younger and for me he will thrive and evolve far quicker by being given the responsibilty of leading the line than by being on the bench. It is just my opinion and I get that you don't agree with it.

Thanks for answering. You would have started him in every game. Fine. Just pointing out that there are undoubtedly reasons why Ralph hasn't done that. A shame you can't accept that and feel the need to constantly keep bashing him for doing things differently to how you would like. Enjoy your evening.

52 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That was as comfortable as you'll get in the premier league, very dominant from the first minute. I had horrible feelings of us hanging on in the final 10 mins, but Leeds couldn't muster anything.

I won't get ''too' carried away because I don't think we'll face as toothless a team again this year, they had nothing about them. It shows what happens when you remove the 4 or 5 PL quality players out of a side, they were well short. But we still had to compete with what was in front of us and we put them to the sword, albeit with our usual wasteful approach.

I can see why he chose Redmond, and his selection was justified as he did well I thought. He didn't play directly up front, but he dropped in behind Broja and occasionally drifted to the flanks - but in the main he was the 'number 10' just in behind and he's not too bad in that position.

Moussa was Moussa, still fairly wasteful and erratic on the ball. Didn't do anything of note. Elyonoussi 'should' have scored, no doubts. But he had a busy game, direct against Dallas and came inside quite often which dragged a few of their players out of position in order to open more space for Redmond etc.

Broja is a proper centre forward, he carries a threat in all aspects of the game. He's a threat from set pieces, he's a threat on the break as he's so quick and he's a threat in the build up as he's strong with a good touch to bring others in. Big fan of his, think he's got a big future in European football.

The win is a relief though, we needed that. As others have already alluded two, our season starts from today and the next few fixtures will provide us more points if we play that way. (I do still worry about the number of chances we need to score though)

Moussa didn’t do anything of note? Wasn’t that him slipping in Redmond for the goal, with one of the best through balls I’ve seen in many a game? 

• Like 15

1 minute ago, Stud mark of doom said:

Moussa didn’t do anything of note? Wasn’t that him slipping in Redmond for the goal, with one of the best through balls I’ve seen in many a game? 

A pre-assist, i guess you could say.

But you kinda need more from him than just single moments like that, he needs to be involved in the game more. Be more of a threat himself. It was a good ball though, granted. I just find myself feeling like I need more every time I watch him play.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

A pre-assist, i guess you could say.

But you kinda need more from him than just single moments like that, he needs to be involved in the game more. Be more of a threat himself. It was a good ball though, granted. I just find myself feeling like I need more every time I watch him play.

The main reason he is in the team is his off-the-ball work. Other than that, he’s hugely frustrating. I’d bring Armstrong in for him next week but keep it the same other than that. 

Difficult to gauge that result. We won which is a big plus, but Leeds were so understrength and poor as a result we should really have won by much more. Our finishing is poor with 12 shots off target and 5 shots on target. Our build up play was really good but the end product was lacking. If that was a full strength Leeds I feel the result would be a bit different.

On the plus, Salisu is growing in confidence and starting to look class albeit the one brainstorm moment, and Redmond had a very good game for once.

The win is a great confidence booster but it will take a bit more than that game to convince me that we have enough to pull away from the danger area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

Thought we were largely good throughout and never looked like losing. Very pleasing that once we scored we kept solid and the only real clearcut chance they had was when Salisu suddenly had a brainfart and nearly cost us a goal.

Midfield was solid, Diallo stepped up and put in a very good performance considering he's barely played.

Salisu was excellent aside from his one moment of madness and Elyounoussi put in some good work. Heard on the radio on the way back after that Ralph said he had been a bit sick so a very industrious performance considering that.

Both fullbacks had good games and Broja took his goal well. Finally a big well done to Redmond who had a great game. Was running at players, worked hard and set the goal up with a lovely assist.

Much bigger crowd today for some reason. I can't work out why a lot more people came today than the Wolves game. It's still laboriously slow getting through the turnstiles. Are people still struggling with tickets scanning? 

Agree mate, looked comfortable but think we were helped by Leeds missing their best players, shows how reliant they are on them, but Saints were excellent as well, should have won by more really. 

Having a left footed left-back a big plus I think, makes a difference in attack, Broja gives us a threat in the air, should have done better from a couple of those first half corners. 

The game was practically sold out apart from some of the hospitality and Kingsland centre, combination of things I think, better being Saturday 3pm rather than Sunday lunchtime plus I am sure there were quite a few Southern based Leeds fans in the home end.

• Like 2

Fabulous performance today. On another day we would have got 3 or 4 I reckon. Salisu was absolutely immense today my MOTM. Great performances from Redmond (great assist for Broja) Broja (great finish), Diallo, Romeu, Moi, Perraud and Tino. Great to see Stuart Armstrong back too, we've missed his class in the attacking areas. Ralph got his tactics spot on today too :) COYR :)

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Stud mark of doom said:

I just came on here to say what a brilliant pass that was. Perfect weighting

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, JRM said:

Agree mate, looked comfortable but think we were helped by Leeds missing their best players, shows how reliant they are on them, but Saints were excellent as well, should have won by more really. 

Having a left footed left-back a big plus I think, makes a difference in attack, Broja gives us a threat in the air, should have done better from a couple of those first half corners. 

The game was practically sold out apart from some of the hospitality and Kingsland centre, combination of things I think, better being Saturday 3pm rather than Sunday lunchtime plus I am sure there were quite a few Southern based Leeds fans in the home end.

No doubt we were helped massively by their injuries. They looked like a Championship team without them.

Agreed about having a proper left back. He made some good runs and I thought linked up pretty well with Djenepo. Also noticed him directing players in the press which is good to see from a new player without many games.

Hopefully a similar performance next weekend although I'm sure Burnley will make it tough.

• Like 1

Looked like massive queues everywhere before game and another fuck up but looked pretty full at kick off

Cant remember a more comfortable win at home for a long time. As others have said we won’t get many weaker sides to play than that Leeds team. Can’t fault any of the players today other than Tella who failed to stamp his authority on the game.

• Haha 2

Really good performance all round. Salisu clearly MotM. Redmond had one of his better games. Only a curmudgeon would find anything to complain about today. Armstrong showed glimpses of what we have missed. Worryingly for JWP we seemed to be more fluid in midfield, more linked up with the front runners and generally more cohesive without him. He should have to play for his place when his suspension ends and not be automatically shoe-horned in.

Romeu is an equally good captain and Redmonds corners were arguably better than JWP's. Elyonoussi is gradually cementing his place in the side, he is a clever player and his little touches and runs are winning over fans who were previously critics. 

I was surprised that KWP didn't get on at 70 mins as Tino tired and showed signs of being stretched. 

As far as Broja is concerned, we must hope that he settles here and his parent club will let him stay for a couple of years.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 4

I was surprised that Moi wasn’t substituted for Stuey as it seemed the obvious swap without changing the balance of the side. However that was decent decision by RAlph, I thought Moi looked great on the left and seemed to have a better partnership with Perraud. RP seemed to be happier to get forward knowing Moi was far less unpredictable than DJneppo.

2 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I know criticism of JWP is frowned on but I thought the midfield was more fluid today and moved the ball quicker without him slowing things down.

Agreed. For me his performances have been poor this season. His delivery has been off, with corners absolutely bollox, and maybe his challenge last week shows his head is not right? . Maybe his head is away from the club? Hopefully he will sort it out and turn in a great game soon and prove me wrong. 

Just now, Dr Who? said:

Agreed. For me his performances have been poor this season. His delivery has been off, with corners absolutely bollox, and maybe his challenge last week shows his head is not right? . Maybe his head is away from the club? Hopefully he will sort it out and turn in a great game soon and prove me wrong. 

A late, enthusiastic tackle proving his commitment shows his head is not right? 🤨

3 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Dan Sheldon intimated Prowsey has had a gastric issue and was rushed back from injury.

I'd suggest signing the new contact shows he is committed but he has felt like a passenger at times this season - hopefully the enforced rest will give him a chance to get back to his best.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hatch said:

Out of interest. Who was the last person to take an attacking free kick for us before the Redmond effort today ?

If I had to guess, I'd say Bertrand, but I have a feeling Jannik Vestegaard took one? Or perhaps he just lined up for it but never took it. Mind you, I have no way of confirming it's just a hunch.

Otherwise I am thinking Lemina 3 years ago, I feel like he stepped up for one or two.

15 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

A late, enthusiastic tackle proving his commitment shows his head is not right? 🤨

11 minutes ago, UpweySaint said:

Dan Sheldon intimated Prowsey has had a gastric issue and was rushed back from injury.

I'd suggest signing the new contact shows he is committed but he has felt like a passenger at times this season - hopefully the enforced rest will give him a chance to get back to his best.

You are getting me wrong I love the bloke, but can you tell me hand on heart that is performances have been up to ‘his’ standards this season. His dead ball delivery has been off. I am not going to question his fitness that is down to him and the management. To me as a supporter, if he is on the pitch he should be 100%. if he is not rest him! 

I want to see the best of JWP like we all do, but we are not seeing it in the first 8 games. All I am saying is something is off. 

1 hour ago, Dr Who? said:

This. Every single corner he takes is telegraphed and NEVER manages to land to a player on his own team, they are slow and obvious. 

• Like 2

I think there is some unfair JWP criticism going on again. Let’s be honest that was a terrible Leeds performance with all their quality players out, Romeu and Diallo had freedom of the park to play and a tell tale sign of a weak team is Redmond standing out. That said JWP clearly hasn’t played to his own high standards this season for whatever reason but the fixtures have been tough - would Diallo playing instead of JWP seen better results than draws against City / Utd / West Ham where the midfield is properly contested ? I’m not convinced…. but happy that Diallo played well today.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Out of interest, since you don't say, who do you think is our best striker?

I know your question wasn't directed at me, but I'd argue Armstrong A. and Broja is our best striking combination....and that will be increasingly apparent as the season draws on.    As an atheist, I'm already praying the Club gets at least another season beyond this one from Broja.  He's going to be some player!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hodgey said:

I think there is some unfair JWP criticism going on again. Let’s be honest that was a terrible Leeds performance with all their quality players out, Romeu and Diallo had freedom of the park to play and a tell tale sign of a weak team is Redmond standing out. That said JWP clearly hasn’t played to his own high standards this season for whatever reason but the fixtures have been tough - would Diallo playing instead of JWP seen better results than draws against City / Utd / West Ham where the midfield is properly contested ? I’m not convinced…. but happy that Diallo played well today.

Totally agree

6 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Out of interest, since you don't say, who do you think is our best striker?

Adam Armstrong - not that I think he's brilliant but within our squad I believe he's the best. Needs a bit more time to settle but I think he will come good and had he played today with Broja and the improved service he might have performed well. Although all credit to Redders who had a great game - would have liked to see AA and Broja upfront with Redders and Tella as the wide players. But hey we won and got 3 points so what's not to like?

My ranking is AA, Adams, Broja and Tella. Personally I would start with AA and Adams and get Broja and Tella on as subs during the game

Phew...so happy we won that one! Had to work this morning so watched the replay on DAZN....had that 'seen this movie before' feel and I was just waiting for Leeds to score a flukey deflection with their first shot on target...or to  equalize in extra time...so thankful that didn't happen. We were totally dominant. Broja and Salisu beasts...Romeu too...Redmond played really well...Tino always good but not his best game and looked spent after 75 mins. 

Important win and hopefully will push on from here.

As commentators said we've had to work really hard for our points. We do need more goals, but I like our trio of Armstrong, Adams and Broja.

Edited by Vancouver Saint
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

You are getting me wrong I love the bloke, but can you tell me hand on heart that is performances have been up to ‘his’ standards this season. His dead ball delivery has been off. I am not going to question his fitness that is down to him and the management. To me as a supporter, if he is on the pitch he should be 100%. if he is not rest him! 

I want to see the best of JWP like we all do, but we are not seeing it in the first 8 games. All I am saying is something is off. 

Sorry, that wasn't meant to come across as digging you out. Just wanted to add some context. I think we do both agree that something is off - as you say the dead balls have not hit his usual heights, often hit the first man!

I'm a big Prowsey fan but if he's having to compete to have a place in the side this can only be a good thing for us.

56 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

At what point does it go from the other team were terrible to we stopped them playing ?

Man City 1 shot on target / Leeds 0 shots on target

Our press was excellent, but Leeds unwillingness to adjust their game plan, and lack of quality were a factor. You can only beat whats put in front of you. Leeds were obviously missing key players, but we had massive injury problems last season...it happens. No one cares. 

There were so many positives for us, not least Broja providing as a proper focal point in attack. Not having to play two centre forwards will mean we can bolster the midfield, which is a must against many teams. We have badly needed someone who can win the odd header and enable us to play direct from time to time. Being less predictable can have a massive positive effect.

Good to see Redmond getting support on here. He's a confidence player and it seems to be quite high. Long may that continue, because that `winger' area is a concern. We need him to have a good season otherwise who is going to create the chances?

On such a positive day for Saints, I struggle to find a negative. I wish I'd brought my sunglasses as I was blinded all afternoon by that lovely sun. There was one thing I noticed. As great as Livramento is and was yesterday, he had another fabulous game, he badly ball watched a couple of times, allowing his man to run behind him.  Hopefully a very brief loss of concentration and not a regular thing. I also thought Ralph was too slow in subbing Elyonoussi (who also had a good game) who was clearly knackered with ten to go. If I can see it, then he should be able to.  Armstrong looked looked a little off the pace when he came on. We should not expect miracles from him straight away.  

One more thing. I m a massive Diallo fan. I think he can really shine at this level. The way he positions his body and gets out of tight spaces like Scholes/Morgan did excites me. I couldn't understand the criticism of him, however I understand that a little more yesterday. His positional play is bad at times. He doesn't quite know where to be and often finds himself on the wrong side of the ball. I hope that comes with experience.

Small things...

Great day, very happy with the win.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Saint Billy said:

Difficult to gauge that result. We won which is a big plus, but Leeds were so understrength and poor as a result we should really have won by much more. Our finishing is poor with 12 shots off target and 5 shots on target. Our build up play was really good but the end product was lacking. If that was a full strength Leeds I feel the result would be a bit different.

On the plus, Salisu is growing in confidence and starting to look class albeit the one brainstorm moment, and Redmond had a very good game for once.

The win is a great confidence booster but it will take a bit more than that game to convince me that we have enough to pull away from the danger area.

This, a balanced view

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

This, a balanced view

It would be more balanced if we took our own absentees into consideration.

• JWP
  • S Armstrong (only got 30 mins coming back from injury)
  • Che
  • Jack Stephens

All the above are first team players for us. No different to Leeds. 

The way we played was decided by Ralph, and this stopped them being able to play, rather than them being poor.

The main thing we lacked in our previous games this season is confidence, we played pretty well in all the games apart from 45 v Everton.

Winning usually breeds confidence, which I think will make it easier to create and score.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

Our press was excellent, but Leeds unwillingness to adjust their game plan, and lack of quality were a factor. You can only beat whats put in front of you. Leeds were obviously missing key players, but we had massive injury problems last season...it happens. No one cares. 

There were so many positives for us, not least Broja providing as a proper focal point in attack. Not having to play two centre forwards will mean we can bolster the midfield, which is a must against many teams. We have badly needed someone who can win the odd header and enable us to play direct from time to time. Being less predictable can have a massive positive effect.

Good to see Redmond getting support on here. He's a confidence player and it seems to be quite high. Long may that continue, because that `winger' area is a concern. We need him to have a good season otherwise who is going to create the chances?

On such a positive day for Saints, I struggle to find a negative. I wish I'd brought my sunglasses as I was blinded all afternoon by that lovely sun. There was one thing I noticed. As great as Livramento is and was yesterday, he had another fabulous game, he badly ball watched a couple of times, allowing his man to run behind him.  Hopefully a very brief loss of concentration and not a regular thing. I also thought Ralph was too slow in subbing Elyonoussi (who also had a good game) who was clearly knackered with ten to go. If I can see it, then he should be able to.  Armstrong looked looked a little off the pace when he came on. We should not expect miracles from him straight away.  

One more thing. I m a massive Diallo fan. I think he can really shine at this level. The way he positions his body and gets out of tight spaces like Scholes/Morgan did excites me. I couldn't understand the criticism of him, however I understand that a little more yesterday. His positional play is bad at times. He doesn't quite know where to be and often finds himself on the wrong side of the ball. I hope that comes with experience.

Small things...

Great Post but most of your posts are usually excellent too

Yes experience is a great thing and that is probably why Theo was brought but we have young players who will gain it the more they play

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Small things...

Good post Chez, saved me the effort. 

Things are improving game by game. 

Salisu MOM 

Redmond had is best game in a long time 

2 hours ago, UpweySaint said:

Sorry, that wasn't meant to come across as digging you out. Just wanted to add some context. I think we do both agree that something is off - as you say the dead balls have not hit his usual heights, often hit the first man!

I'm a big Prowsey fan but if he's having to compete to have a place in the side this can only be a good thing for us.

I think if anything it shows because of the heights he has reached. In a way he has made a rod for his own back, as you notice when something is off. Perhaps he is not fully fit, and just because he signed a new contact (because DI left) does not mean he 100% wants to be here, he might want a better club than Villa to move too. 

As a Saints fan I hope he hits top form for us, even if that does mean that he is likely to leave for a top 6 club. I not delusional that is how it works unfortunately! 

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Confused 1

On 16/10/2021 at 21:16, Saint_lambden said:

The main reason he is in the team is his off-the-ball work. Other than that, he’s hugely frustrating. I’d bring Armstrong in for him next week but keep it the same other than that. 

Could also do with him staying on his feet more. He still runs like Bambi on ice and throws himself to the floor far too easily and refs aren't buying it

Edited by Viking Saint

9 hours ago, Red said:

Adam Armstrong - not that I think he's brilliant but within our squad I believe he's the best. Needs a bit more time to settle but I think he will come good and had he played today with Broja and the improved service he might have performed well. Although all credit to Redders who had a great game - would have liked to see AA and Broja upfront with Redders and Tella as the wide players. But hey we won and got 3 points so what's not to like?

My ranking is AA, Adams, Broja and Tella. Personally I would start with AA and Adams and get Broja and Tella on as subs during the game

If Broja gets enough games I believe he will outscore AA and Adams but we'll see.

• Like 1

Post match entertainment at both ends of Britannia road was mildly amusing. Down by the ground windmills and swinging handbags from Leeds fans who looked easily old enough to know better - They even had a Harris from football factory, complete with cream bomber jacket, over seeing the high kicking arm waving can can girls. Down by the traffic lights the action was done with the Rozzers sat on one or two naughty boys,  with a big onlooking crowd from both sides.

• Confused 1