Saints 1-0 Leeds - Match Thread

Mr X

Thought it would be good to start this one early, a chance for us to go a point above them or for them to go five clear of us.

After what most people seem to have declared a tough run of fixtures, is this a game we should be looking to get our first win from?

Leeds are like us unpredictable

I don't think we're in must win territory but this will be a good barometer of where we are. 

I predict 10 points from the next 5 so we can lose this and we'll still be on track. Don't think we'll lose though, Leeds are not as good as they were and I wouldn't be surprised if Bielsa walks at some point, as he has a history of doing so...

Bet Leeds are equally licking their lips and seeing this as a fixture they can take 3 points off. 

They did us over twice last season frustratingly

I’m going to predict 1-1 I think but for me 7pts should be the target for next 3 games.

14 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Broja and Armstrong up top .. perraud left back… kwp right back ..tino in front of him .. stu Armstrong just behind the top two and diallo Romeu behind him .. moi on the left .. bed and salli cbs.. Macca between the sticks … 1-0 saints broja !! 

Even with those 12 players, we might struggle.

• Like 2

Full strength I fancy us to get something here but with JWP, Stephens, and (potentially) Adams out I think we will struggle. 0-2 Leeds.

Assuming Adams is out I'd play

Macca

Livra Bednarek Salisu Perraud

Romeu Diallo

S. Armstrong Djenepo

Armstrong Broja

Adams in for Broja if fit.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TWar said:

Full strength I fancy us to get something here but with JWP and (potentially) Adams out I think we will struggle. 0-2 Leeds.

Assuming Adams is out I'd play

Macca

Livra Bednarek Salisu Perraud

Romeu Diallo

S. Armstrong Djenepo

Armstrong Broja

Adams in for Broja if fit.

That’s almost the team I’d play except KWP and Livra with S Armstrong on the bench as not had much football this season. Perraud was a Leeds summer target, should be good enough to play here. Moussa has his limitations but he will try and progress forward whilst working hard for Perraud. Broja ahead of Adams fit or not, opportunity to see how he and AA combine as AA and CA not working. You just know Redmond will be shoehorned in somehow though by Ralph.

If Ralph doesn’t win this, Eddie Howe facing his old club at SMS next I reckon so let’s see if the players respond and want RH as manager.

Edited by saint1977

On 09/10/2021 at 00:25, Chris cooper said:

Broja and Armstrong up top .. perraud left back… kwp right back ..tino in front of him .. stu Armstrong just behind the top two and diallo Romeu behind him .. moi on the left .. bed and salli cbs.. Macca between the sticks … 1-0 saints broja !! 

Unfortunately though, you're not picking the team....

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

He didn't start for Albania yesterday

He's better as an impact sub

How do you know he is better as an impact sub? He tends to be used more from the bench but that doesn't prove he can't do a job for 90 minutes.  If I was a betting man I'd wager a few quid on Broja finishing the season as our top scorer - that's always assuming Ralph gives him enough game time of course but currently he seems very reluctant to use him. Ralph will presumably claim he doesn't show enough in training - that'll be the same manager who saw enough of Walcott to put him in the team against Chelsea when, he contributed as little as many suspected and had to be hooked at half time.

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

How do you know he is better as an impact sub? He tends to be used more from the bench but that doesn't prove he can't do a job for 90 minutes.  If I was a betting man I'd wager a few quid on Broja finishing the season as our top scorer - that's always assuming Ralph gives him enough game time of course but currently he seems very reluctant to use him. Ralph will presumably claim he doesn't show enough in training - that'll be the same manager who saw enough of Walcott to put him in the team against Chelsea when, he contributed as little as many suspected and had to be hooked at half time.

tbh I can see Ralph using Broja more as a sub only because he is on loan and we don't have any sort of clause to make it permanent.

It makes sense to try and use Adams/Armstrong more 

I think the above is the same logic used when we had Minamino on loan last season.

If he is showing better ability than Adams/Armstrong in training, then it really is silly to not utilise him or starting him more, however other than a good 30m stint against WHU and Newport (and perhaps Newcastle), he was pretty below par against Sheffield United

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nta786 said:

tbh I can see Ralph using Broja more as a sub only because he is on loan and we don't have any sort of clause to make it permanent.

It makes sense to try and use Adams/Armstrong more 

I think the above is the same logic used when we had Minamino on loan last season.

If he is showing better ability than Adams/Armstrong in training, then it really is silly to not utilise him or starting him more, however other than a good 30m stint against WHU and Newport (and perhaps Newcastle), he was pretty below par against Sheffield United

that is true but he needs to keep his job first

10 hours ago, Maya's Dad said:

that is true but he needs to keep his job first

He's got all the way to the middle of October leading the worst team in the league in 2021 - I think it's fair to say the club consider him untouchable. Or can't afford the pay off.

I would guess Ralph will go with:

Mccarthy 

Tino

KWP (Although would prefer the new LB)

Bednarak

Salisu

Diallo

Romeu

Walcott 

Armstrong 

Armstrong 

Broja

Would be interested in what the onlooking Eddie Howe would do differently and expect to get better results ..

Edited by Nick75Sfc

11 hours ago, Nick75Sfc said:

I would guess Ralph will go with:

Mccarthy 

Tino

KWP (Although would prefer the new LB)

Bednarak

Salisu

Diallo

Romeu

Walcott 

Armstrong 

Armstrong 

Broja

Would be interested in what the onlooking Eddie Howe would do differently and expect to get better results ..

I'd have thought any other manager would realise 4-2-2-2 doesn't work for this set of players.

12 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I'd have thought any other manager would realise 4-2-2-2 doesn't work for this set of players.

I do not think any system would work for this set of players as we have no PL strikers and relegation seems to be almost certain

I have been following the Saints ever since they were promoted to Div 1 and the strike force at the moment is the worst in over 50 years  at least we had MLT in the 1990s when the rest of the team was pretty dire

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, qwertyell said:

He's got all the way to the middle of October leading the worst team in the league in 2021 - I think it's fair to say the club consider him untouchable. Or can't afford the pay off.

Just to clarify.  Of the 92 teams in the league, you are saying we are the worst?

8 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Think Ralph will pick his usual suspects…Redmond and Long to start, Tino at RB and KWP as LB. That’ll allow Stu Armstrong back into the side…possibly. Bench is starting to look a bit thin again.

Son in Laws 1 - Leeds 2

And again to clarify, you are predicting Long will start on Saturday?

19 minutes ago, John B said:

I do not think any system would work for this set of players as we have no PL strikers and relegation seems to be almost certain

I have been following the Saints ever since they were promoted to Div 1 and the strike force at the moment is the worst in over 50 years  at least we had MLT in the 1990s when the rest of the team was pretty dire

And once more, in case I am misunderstanding, you are saying relegation seems to be almost certain?

I've been away for a few days and off-line.  I've come back to get some insight into how we think this week's game is going to go and the place seems to have descended into a pit of despair and addled thinking.  I'm wanting to give you all a big hug.

5 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

I'd rather have the current pair than Speedie/Dixon to be fair.

I'll see your Speedie/Dixon and raise you the 93 choices - Nicky Banger, Frankie Bennett, Paul Moody, Iain Dowie, Lee Powell, Craig Maskell 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

I'd rather have the current pair than Speedie/Dixon to be fair.

Had le tiss and jimmy case playing with the above two .. saw us through games .. Romeu no where near a jimmy case and obviously there’s only one Matty le Tiss .. Kerry dixon and Dave speedie scored goals for saints.. more than I can say than the current shite being served up !

40 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Macca

Tino - Bedders - Salisu - Perraud

Redmond - Armstrong - Romeu - Tella

Broja - Armstrong

Replace Redmond with Tino and KWP at right back, sorted, although think he'll go Djenpo for more defensive duties instead of Tella and I'd imagine he'll start Diallo instead of Stu 

1 hour ago, Chris cooper said:

Had le tiss and jimmy case playing with the above two .. saw us through games .. Romeu no where near a jimmy case and obviously there’s only one Matty le Tiss .. Kerry dixon and Dave speedie scored goals for saints.. more than I can say than the current shite being served up !

Off the top of my head, I think they scored 1 goal between them.

Edit: Just checked, they both scored 2 each.

Edited by Saint Mikey

1 hour ago, Chris cooper said:

Speedie 0 in 12, Dixon 2 in 11 despite being set up by the legendary Le Tiss and Case.

Adams 13 in 71, Armstrong 1 in 7 in front of providers who are “nowhere near”

you need a hug too

I wonder what Ralph’s mindset will be for this one, hopefully not the same as the Wolves game? Listening to Semmens interview on TSP yesterday, he seems very well aware and informed  of the issues, although he very much backed Ralph he also referred to the Wolves game as a game changer, he also made more than one reference to the undersized squad causing many of our problems in last season’s decline. He went on to say that has all been addressed. So reading between the lines, like us, I think he is expecting something from the next run of games.

I hope Ralph isn’t feeling the heat too much and goes out with the most positive selection and game plan he can.

Edited by Toussaint

We really need to win this one and given that Oriol and Diallo are both defensive minded midfielders I wouldn't be suprised to see Stuey start in the middle and it might be a bit too soon to start Smallbone. 

-----------------Macca-----------------

Tino/KWP, Bedders, Salisu, KWP/Perraud

-------Stuey/Smallbone, Romeu---------

Stuey/Tino--------------------------Tella 

-----------------Che, AA----------------

Edited by CAH61

1 hour ago, CAH61 said:

We really need to win this one and given that Oriol and Diallo are both defensive minded midfielders I wouldn't be suprised to see Stuey start in the middle and it might be a bit too soon to start Smallbone. 

-----------------Macca-----------------

Tino/KWP, Bedders, Salisu, KWP/Perraud

-------Stuey/Smallbone, Romeu---------

Stuey/Tino--------------------------Tella 

-----------------Che, AA----------------

I take you point about Diallo and Romeu being defensive minded, but they do contrast each other's styles reasonably well with Diallo making up for the lack of pace of Romeu. I think that we've only started these two twice; home to Villa (JWP played RB) and away at Sheff U last month. They were ok against Villa less so v Sheff U.   I think that it worth pursuing while JWP is out and see whether they can build a good partnership. 

I much prefer Stu as one of the attacking midfielders rather than defensive. I also think that we need to manage him carefully after such a long lay-off and wouldn't be too concerned if he came on as a substitute in the 2nd half, rather than start. 

6 hours ago, The Left Back said:

I'll see your Speedie/Dixon and raise you the 93 choices - Nicky Banger, Frankie Bennett, Paul Moody, Iain Dowie, Lee Powell, Craig Maskell 

Wince.. Mind you, Dowie scored a few goals ISTR. Paul Moody from Waterlooville, bless, couldn't fault him for effort though. Lee Powell.. ooof.

43 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Wince.. Mind you, Dowie scored a few goals ISTR. Paul Moody from Waterlooville, bless, couldn't fault him for effort though. Lee Powell.. ooof.

What about Micky Evans, kept us up  single handedly. How could you forget him?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-0 Leeds - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic