Saints 1-0 Leeds - Match Thread

Mr X

15 hours ago, The Left Back said:

And again to clarify, you are predicting Long will start on Saturday?

Yes, I think this is the sort of weird selection Ralph would make. Long, Tella or Broja? His reason being Long in theory will provide a better foil for Armstrong who will almost certainly start. Ultimately though there’s few, if any, goals coming the way of a a Championship pairing. My preference would be to use the pace and natural ability of Tella and Broja, but we all know that’s not going to happen.

Apparently Raphinha won't play this Saturday as he will be starting for Brazil on Thursday night.

I'm sorry Ralph but there is little excuse to not win this when their best attacker is out.

Also I believe Kalvin Phillips is injured, Ayling is definitely ruled out and Bamford is a 50/50.

Having said the above, que the 1-0 Leeds smash and grab when Dallas scores from their only attack 😠

5 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Hopefully we have a pretty much full squad...

Macca

Tino Bednarek Salisu Perraud

Romeu Diallo

Armstrong Tella

Adams Armstrong

COYS

Very unlikely Adams will be fit. 

S. Armstrong hasn't played for months, more likely will be on the bench. 

4 hours ago, JRM said:

Very unlikely Adams will be fit. 

S. Armstrong hasn't played for months, more likely will be on the bench. 

Exactly this.

All those saying Stu has to start clearly aren't thinking logically, just going with their hearts. I would love to have him back in the starting 11 too, we have missed him terribly. But as you say, he hasn't played a single minute of football this season at all. By starting him Ralph will know at least 1 sub will be taken up with his replacement when he gets knackered. Probably 60th minute at best. What if we then need to use a sub due to injury in the 1st half? Leaves only the one left for tactical reasons. And he HAS made some good tactical substitutions this season. Expect to see him, rightly, on the bench; hopefully coming on as a sub in the 2nd half.

With Adams out it gives an ideal opportunity to go with Arma and Armando up front. That would be my preference, but think Ralph will play Redmond as the 2nd striker. I know he is the forum knocking boy but, to be fair, he has played well in the past couple of matches.

GK, CBs and CMs pick themselves - Macca, Badnarek, Salisu, Romeu, Diallo. As usual, question marks over the fullbacks and 10s. I don't really mind whether Tino or KWP get picked at RB but, after the Wolves match, I really want to see Perraud at LB. That said, Ralph will probably stick the same back 4 as the past few matches. As for the 10s, I have a feeling he will start Djenepo for this one and probably Moi the right. Personally, I really hope Tella will be given another go from the start and I would, most likely, put Redmond on the other side (with Broja up top as previously mentioned).

My team:

McCarthy

KWP     Benarek       Salisu      Perraud

Diallo            Romeu

Redmond                     Tella

Arma            Broja

Team I think Ralph will pick:

McCarthy

Tino     Benarek       Salisu      KWP

Diallo            Romeu

Moi                            Djenepo

Arma            Redmond

43 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Exactly this.

All those saying Stu has to start clearly aren't thinking logically, just going with their hearts. I would love to have him back in the starting 11 too, we have missed him terribly. But as you say, he hasn't played a single minute of football this season at all. By starting him Ralph will know at least 1 sub will be taken up with his replacement when he gets knackered. Probably 60th minute at best. What if we then need to use a sub due to injury in the 1st half? Leaves only the one left for tactical reasons. And he HAS made some good tactical substitutions this season. Expect to see him, rightly, on the bench; hopefully coming on as a sub in the 2nd half.

With Adams out it gives an ideal opportunity to go with Arma and Armando up front. That would be my preference, but think Ralph will play Redmond as the 2nd striker. I know he is the forum knocking boy but, to be fair, he has played well in the past couple of matches.

GK, CBs and CMs pick themselves - Macca, Badnarek, Salisu, Romeu, Diallo. As usual, question marks over the fullbacks and 10s. I don't really mind whether Tino or KWP get picked at RB but, after the Wolves match, I really want to see Perraud at LB. That said, Ralph will probably stick the same back 4 as the past few matches. As for the 10s, I have a feeling he will start Djenepo for this one and probably Moi the right. Personally, I really hope Tella will be given another go from the start and I would, most likely, put Redmond on the other side (with Broja up top as previously mentioned).

My team:

McCarthy

KWP     Benarek       Salisu      Perraud

Diallo            Romeu

Redmond                     Tella

Arma            Broja

Team I think Ralph will pick:

McCarthy

Tino     Benarek       Salisu      KWP

Diallo            Romeu

Moi                            Djenepo

Arma            Redmond

Wow, so you wouldn't play Tino - baffling.......... Glad your not the manager. 

11 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

Wow, so you wouldn't play Tino - baffling.......... Glad your not the manager. 

Given that he played the full 90 a couple of days ago, and looked a bit jaded to be honest, I would probably go with KWP at RB for this match. Remember he is only 18. He will not be able to play every match. That said, no problem with him playing at all. He has been excellent for us thus far - even though we haven't won a single match he has played in (said firmly tongue in cheek).

Do you not think KWP is a good RB? With quite a bit more experience?

KWP is the better all round player at the moment, in my opinion. Tino is better in the air, which is useful against some teams.

I would start KWP and Perraud.

Not sure why Ralph have himself a selection problem by dropping one of our best players unnecessarily. Should have made Tino wait for a chance.

The other option is to play them both but I doubt either of them would do a better job further forward than e.g. Redmond.

Could play a back 3 with Tino in that, I suppose.

• Like 2

Ralph Hasenhuttl said re. Newcastle

"In general, investment is a good thing. From which side it comes, it is not for me to say if it's right or not.

"It's a big chance for the club, because when you want to change the team you need a lot of money. Newcastle is a team that hasn't invested very much in the past so they are all crying for that. They definitely have some more options.

"In the moment, the window is closed so it is not possible until the winter break to invest. In the future, it will definitely change their opportunities and they can strengthen their team, which can have an impact on their season."

Re. the lack of wins:

"We have had a few chances too in the games, even against Manchester City, which shows we have done some things right," he said.

"Also against Chelsea, until the red card we were very good against one of the best teams in the league. A lot of this is working well but we cannot deny our goal scoring is not at the level it needs to be to get wins.

"This is the issue we have and it's not a surprise situation as we lost our best goalscorer in the summer [Danny Ings], but we trust the new boys coming in. We will give them the time to adapt to the Premier League and then they will score, for sure. I will work with them every day to make them better."

Re. injuries:

"Jack Stephens is still out and Che Adams has returned from the international break with a muscle injury, it is not too serious but he will definitely be out for the game this weekend. I have not seen everybody back so far but the reports have been quite positive for the rest." 

Re. Leeds:

"It is one of the most intense games of the season- the average number of passes the opposition play against Leeds is one of the lowest in the league"

"It will be nice to watch [for the neutral] with a lot of mistakes in the game because of the pressure each side puts on the other. You will not see a five star dinner, it will be about winning the second balls. This is the way they play and we have to find the right answer because it will be an intense fight.

"They are a team who always have a lot of players behind the ball and are never really exposed. The team that scores the first goal is definitely in a good situation because it gives them more space for counter-attacks, which both teams want.

"Our supporters know what is coming so they need to give us the support to put pressure on the opponent. We don't want it to be nice to come to St Mary's to take points so we need this committed performance form the players, the fans and everybody."

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Ralph Hasenhuttl said re. Newcastle

"In general, investment is a good thing. From which side it comes, it is not for me to say if it's right or not.

"It's a big chance for the club, because when you want to change the team you need a lot of money. Newcastle is a team that hasn't invested very much in the past so they are all crying for that. They definitely have some more options.

"In the moment, the window is closed so it is not possible until the winter break to invest. In the future, it will definitely change their opportunities and they can strengthen their team, which can have an impact on their season."

Re. the lack of wins:

"We have had a few chances too in the games, even against Manchester City, which shows we have done some things right," he said.

"Also against Chelsea, until the red card we were very good against one of the best teams in the league. A lot of this is working well but we cannot deny our goal scoring is not at the level it needs to be to get wins.

"This is the issue we have and it's not a surprise situation as we lost our best goalscorer in the summer [Danny Ings], but we trust the new boys coming in. We will give them the time to adapt to the Premier League and then they will score, for sure. I will work with them every day to make them better."

Re. injuries:

"Jack Stephens is still out and Che Adams has returned from the international break with a muscle injury, it is not too serious but he will definitely be out for the game this weekend. I have not seen everybody back so far but the reports have been quite positive for the rest." 

Re. Leeds:

"It is one of the most intense games of the season- the average number of passes the opposition play against Leeds is one of the lowest in the league"

"It will be nice to watch [for the neutral] with a lot of mistakes in the game because of the pressure each side puts on the other. You will not see a five star dinner, it will be about winning the second balls. This is the way they play and we have to find the right answer because it will be an intense fight.

"They are a team who always have a lot of players behind the ball and are never really exposed. The team that scores the first goal is definitely in a good situation because it gives them more space for counter-attacks, which both teams want.

"Our supporters know what is coming so they need to give us the support to put pressure on the opponent. We don't want it to be nice to come to St Mary's to take points so we need this committed performance form the players, the fans and everybody."

Your point being?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, benjii said:

KWP is the better all round player at the moment, in my opinion. Tino is better in the air, which is useful against some teams.

Not sure why Ralph have himself a selection problem by dropping one of our best players unnecessarily. Should have made Tino wait for a chance.

The other option is to play them both but I doubt either of them would do a better job further forward than e.g. Redmond.

I don't think that it is just that Tino is better in the air, but also the fact that he brings physicality to the team which is sorely missing. We seem to be more exposed at corners and set-pieces this year without Vest, Bertrand and even Ings who used to defend at the front post at corners. Perraud and Armstrong just cannot provide the same level of defence due to their size.  So I understand why Ralph is keen to have at least one full back with the height and size to protect us more. 

I agree with most on here that KWP's crossing against Wolves on his left was limited even though he did well to get into good positions; however at Chelsea he did demonstrate that he can cross with his left peg and did create a decent chance for Walcott in the first half.  I'm not against persisting with him at left back - as like you I think he is one of our better players. 

Putting Tino at Right midfield could work although still happy for a young 18 year old to have some stability in his most regular position before shifting him around further at least in the immediate short term.

Both times they played us last season they went 3 at the back to counter us playing 2 strikers so I suspect they'll do the same again with Struijk in as a third CB and Shackleton dropping out. 

All on our own team selection for me which no doubt the manager will get wrong. Don't have a problem with Tella dropping out, as long as S.Armstrong comes in and we don't see Redmond or Walcott. 

------------------AMac----------------

---KWP---Bednarek--Salisu---Perraud--

--S.Arm---Diallo----Romeu----Djenepo--

---------Armstrong---Broja--------------

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Leeds likely to be missing Kock, Ayling, Bamford and probably Raphina

Phillips should be OK

Phillips will play I think. 

Let's hope Raphina plays for Brazil tonight, crazy his game will finish at 3.30am Friday and they've laid on a private jet to get the Brazilian players back to England for the weekend, they'll probably land Friday evening and I'm sure they won't have to queue at passport control, so technically he could play against us on Saturday. 

5 hours ago, benjii said:

So you're questioning why Ralph didn't make Tino wait for a chance...when he's clearly one of our best performing players so far this season?

Tino is a gem, and if you're good enough, you should play. Failing to understand why this is the issue you're having.

3 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

It certainly just got a lot more interesting as Leeds have no Bamford, Ayling or Koch. With Raphinha and Phillips both being huge doubts due to travel and injury.

Suddenly becomes a must win.

No match at this season is a 'must win'.

Everyone knows how 3 points will be a big lift, but you can't be throwing around statements like 'must win' eight matches into the season. There are no consequences as a result of this match.

30 minutes ago, Rickman42 said:

No match at this season is a 'must win'.

Everyone knows how 3 points will be a big lift, but you can't be throwing around statements like 'must win' eight matches into the season. There are no consequences as a result of this match.

True, but if we lose the fans' morale will plummet. Win and everything looks rosier. Obvious, but it's a big swing. Would be less so if we had, say, 3 more points under our belts already.

I think it will be a draw

11 hours ago, JRM said:

Let's hope Raphina plays for Brazil tonight, crazy his game will finish at 3.30am Friday and they've laid on a private jet to get the Brazilian players back to England for the weekend, they'll probably land Friday evening and I'm sure they won't have to queue at passport control, so technically he could play against us on Saturday. 

Raphina is playing for Brazil at the moment started the game and has scored , surely travelling back on a 12 hour flight is too much to then play again tomorrow. 

Pundit predictions:

BBC - Mark Lawrenson (and Tom Hughes)

Southampton were doing pretty well against Chelsea until James Ward-Prowse was sent off.

What frustrated me most about that decision is that VAR instructed the referee to go and watch it again, and he was shown replays in slow motion, which is just ridiculous. How can you judge how dangerous a tackle is if you don't see it in real time? Slow any challenge down and it looks awful. The end result was another defeat for Saints, who are still without a win after seven games.

I don't fancy their chances much here, either, especially if Leeds midfielder Kalvin Phillips is back from the calf injury that ruled him out of England duty.

Lawro's prediction: 0-2

Tom's prediction: Marcelo Bielsa is just a wizard & Dan James has just gone to Leeds, and I felt sorry for him at United. I'm going to go with 2 goals for him. 0-2

Sky Sports - Lewis Jones

Southampton have major problems in front of goal having not scored from open play since August 28 while Leeds look set to be missing their two most attacking weapons in Patrick Bamford and Raphinha. When it comes to an outright prediction, it's hard to separate them. When that is the case, play the draw.

A more confident shout is found in the goalscorer markets. With Patrick Bamford still missing for Leeds, there is still juice to be had in Mateusz Klich's price to score. One of the more underrated players in the Leeds team for a goal, Klich is given a huge amount of licence to drive into the box. Klich has had 19 touches in the opposition box in his last three matches and has posted an expected goal figure of 0.69 from his nine shots on goal. I'd recommend taking the 10/1 with Sky Bet for him to score the first goal with the added bonus that he's likely to be on penalties in the absence of Bamford.

SCORE PREDICTION: 1-1

56 minutes ago, Dusic said:

From the press conference written section comments I wouldn't expect Broja to start. Ralph still thinks he is best as a sub for now, as Albania use him as well.

I think it will be Armstrong and Tella again.

Not overly surprising, especially given how poor he was at Sheff Utd when he did start.

I really worry about us when Adams doesn't play, as we can never get up the pitch. We're going to need to play on the counter or hope we can get in behind them., but expect it will be 2 of Redmond, Armstrong or Tella up front. Might even go with the 4141 with Diallo and Armstrong driving forward ahead of Romeu with 2 of Tella, Moussa and Walcott wide with Armstrong through the middle.

We need to find a way to get on the scoresheet thats for sure.

I do feel that Amrstrong will score goals if we create chances for him.

Thats our biggest issue, there aren't enough chances being created by the likes of Redmond, Djenepo, Moi, Walcott.

Other teams in the bottom half have players like Sarr, ASM, Raphinha, Traore, Zaha - we have nobody who is anywhere near the level of these in terms of creative ability and threat.

We badly need one of ours to find some kind of form.

• Like 4

Probably means nothing, but in a clip of training today the club have posted, there is an 11-man drill with a team that could easily be the first 11 for Saturday (albeit with a different keeper as Harry Lewis was involved)

McCarthy

Livramento Bednarek Salisu Perraud

Ely Diallo Romeu Djenepo

Redmond Broja

Wouldn't be my choice of team, but would be intrigued to know why that 11 would train together when it contains so much of the first choice 11 of Ralph

23 hours ago, JRM said:

I am confused over this Brazil players thing.....

Klopp said in his presser that Liverpool's 2 Brazilian players would have to quarantine for 10 days after playing in Columbia (a red list country). That is why they decided to fly Alisson and Fabhino directly to Spain, ready for their champs league match in mid week. I also recall that the rules were relaxed for footballers playing in red list countries, but only to the extent that they could isolate anywhere for the 10 days not in a designated hotel. So why then can Raphina be available to play against us tomorrow when he also played in Columbia 5 days ago? Or is Klopp simply wrong? His quote below:

"We had to sort quarantine issues and the decision we made is the boys will not be here, they will go directly to Madrid, wait there for us, hopefully be able to play against Atletico, then will come back slightly later than us, so then they can come back in our normal procedure again," said Reds boss Jurgen Klopp.

"Obviously they could have flown into England but with all the quarantine stuff that would have meant they would have to isolate from their families and Ali has three kids and being away with the national teams and then 10 days in isolation with the same rubbish again... we need solutions for that and they are still not there.

"They have played in Brazil so they already had four days there not in a red-list country and that's what counts. "Then another six days not in a red-list country then they can come back and start immediately so even when they go from bubble to bubble to bubble it is still 10 days and for us that is the solution."

46 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Probably means nothing, but in a clip of training today the club have posted, there is an 11-man drill with a team that could easily be the first 11 for Saturday (albeit with a different keeper as Harry Lewis was involved)

McCarthy

Ely Diallo Romeu Djenepo

Redmond Broja

Wouldn't be my choice of team, but would be intrigued to know why that 11 would train together when it contains so much of the first choice 11 of Ralph

Very much doubt we drop Armstrong. Could be though.

1 hour ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

McCarthy

Ely Diallo Romeu Djenepo

Redmond Broja

Ball retention is an issue in that side. And goalscoring.

Some desperate person has been tracking the flight of Raphinha and other Brazilian players so much so that it began to trend!

Looks like he is in the UK then, I think he'll be on the bench for tomorrow now which is annoying, hopefully he will be jaded.

50 minutes ago, Minsk said:

I am confused over this Brazil players thing.....

Klopp said in his presser that Liverpool's 2 Brazilian players would have to quarantine for 10 days after playing in Columbia (a red list country). That is why they decided to fly Alisson and Fabhino directly to Spain, ready for their champs league match in mid week. I also recall that the rules were relaxed for footballers playing in red list countries, but only to the extent that they could isolate anywhere for the 10 days not in a designated hotel. So why then can Raphina be available to play against us tomorrow when he also played in Columbia 5 days ago? Or is Klopp simply wrong? His quote below:

"We had to sort quarantine issues and the decision we made is the boys will not be here, they will go directly to Madrid, wait there for us, hopefully be able to play against Atletico, then will come back slightly later than us, so then they can come back in our normal procedure again," said Reds boss Jurgen Klopp.

"Obviously they could have flown into England but with all the quarantine stuff that would have meant they would have to isolate from their families and Ali has three kids and being away with the national teams and then 10 days in isolation with the same rubbish again... we need solutions for that and they are still not there.

"They have played in Brazil so they already had four days there not in a red-list country and that's what counts. "Then another six days not in a red-list country then they can come back and start immediately so even when they go from bubble to bubble to bubble it is still 10 days and for us that is the solution."

I'm confused as well, I had read this article below, but if Raphina should be in quarantine and turns up at our game I'll be sure to make a citizens arrest to prevent him getting on the pitch 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10089575/Premier-League-rivals-unite-fly-South-American-stars-home-international-break.html

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Which team do you suggest? (From our current squad.)

I think I'd have Armstrong instead of Redmond and Tella instead of Djenepo. Would hope there's space for Stuart Armstrong too somewhere as he's the key

It's not only the Saints team whose confidence is shot, mine too!

I have a dreadful feeling this could end up as another embarrassing performance. There are no goals in our team at the moment unless Elyonoussi can step up, apart from him where will a goal come from? With our penchant for at least one defensive cock-up per game, a clean sheet seems unlikely especially against a fast attacking Leeds side.

So nowt for us and 0-2 seems to be the right call. Sorry lads but many of you must have similar thoughts.

2 hours ago, JRM said:

I'm confused as well, I had read this article below, but if Raphina should be in quarantine and turns up at our game I'll be sure to make a citizens arrest to prevent him getting on the pitch 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10089575/Premier-League-rivals-unite-fly-South-American-stars-home-international-break.html

Please wait until after the team sheets have been submitted.

3 hours ago, nta786 said:

Some desperate person has been tracking the flight of Raphinha and other Brazilian players so much so that it began to trend!

Looks like he is in the UK then, I think he'll be on the bench for tomorrow now which is annoying, hopefully he will be jaded.

Some desperate person who hasn't heard of Biggin Hill. FFS.

3 hours ago, nta786 said:

Just looked it up and that has to be a six figure minimum investment by Leeds to get him back to the UK on an exec jet from South America. Lot of money to spend if they do not expect him to feature in the game. Well I guess split with the other clubs involved but even then a pretty large investment for someone who is not played.

Update other players are with Chelsea and Man City so Leeds probably didn't have to spend a penny!

Edited by HnycS
Typo

1 hour ago, HnycS said:

Just looked it up and that has to be a six figure minimum investment by Leeds to get him back to the UK on an exec jet from South America. Lot of money to spend if they do not expect him to feature in the game. Well I guess split with the other clubs involved but even then a pretty large investment for someone who is not played.

Update other players are with Chelsea and Man City so Leeds probably didn't have to spend a penny!

If employers around the country started paying for limos to get everyone into work perhaps working from home would be gone ;)

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-0 Leeds - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic