Saints 1-0 Leeds - Match Thread

Mr X

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-0 Leeds - Match Thread

Phew!  

Diallo, Tino, Broja all excellent.  Redmond improved, Ely improved, Armstrong back on the pitch.  Good stuff.

Salisu very good but let a few errors creep in second half, one almost leading to a Leeds goal.  

Hopefully this is a turning point.    

• Confused 1

Well played. Win. Clean sheet. Played okay as well.

Made an absolute meal of an appalling Leeds side, mind you. I mentioned a couple of weeks back that they might be in trouble this season - they're a couple of injuries shy of being a mediocre Championship side who can't defend.

We need more cutting edge. Can't be barely managing a goal every other game. Broja took his chance well and is a handful, albeit quite raw at times. Redmond had a good game, but he needs to be on the wing not as a strike pairing, IMHO.

Also, Diallo balances the midfield far better than Ward-Prowse because his mobility is on a different level. Not sure how we resolve that moving forwards, but that's tomorrow's problem.

Anyway, something to build on. Let's back it up against Burnley.

Edited by qwertyell
  • Like 2

Nervy stuff because we only scored the one goal, but Leeds didn't threaten at all and we were comfortable at the back. Would have been nice to get another goal or two because our dominant performance deserved it, but hey ho.

4-point gap to the relegation spots now with 3 of our next 4 games against teams below us, gives us a great chance to pull out more of a gap and push on.

I'm gonna give my MOTM to Redmond. I'm usually one of his biggest critics, but I've never doubted his ability to perform well, just his consistency and his decision making.

Romeu a close second.

More to come from Broja I reckon. 

• Like 2

Yup....  real credit to Ralph on this one. He stuck with his faith in Redmond despite so much heat from the base...  and was proved right today. Rest of tactics spot on. We made Leeds look so poor. Yet we did so without burning all our energy first half and leaving ourselves wide open.  Quality of some of the football truly sublime.  There's a scenario now where we rocket up the table and start to dream a little bigger...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NewYorkSaint said:

Yup....  real credit to Ralph on this one. He stuck with his faith in Redmond despite so much heat from the base...  and was proved right today. Rest of tactics spot on. We made Leeds look so poor. Yet we did so without burning all our energy first half and leaving ourselves wide open.  Quality of some of the football truly sublime.  There's a scenario now where we rocket up the table and start to dream a little bigger...

Plus he at last woke up to the fact that Broja is clearly the best striker at the club.

Not the most convincing scoreline, but good performance albeit against a Leeds side lacking players.

Needed the result though, get that 'win' monkey off the players back, should build some confidence now with an easier run of games. Think we should be ok to be honest, Leeds struggling, Newcastle will struggle at least till Jan and even then rushed Jan signings are never guaranteed, Watford look poor, Norwich look already down, and Burnley need to turn their season around yet again which remains to be seen. So I think those 5 will be worse than us for a while. Whilst Wolves, Villa and Palace none look that convincing. 

Would be good to thrash someone though, 3-4 win, get all the strikers some goals. 

• Like 1

Leeds really didn't turn up did they? almost like they felt sorry for us and gave us a three point present on a plate, still you can only beat what's In front of you at the end of the day and the effort was there today.  That's the poorest I've seen them this season, burnley will be a much tougher test 

• Like 1