Norwich 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

First half we should have created more opportunities, given the dominance we had over the ball. Not enough clear cut created really for all the possession we had. It kinda felt inventible that the second half would go that way.

But a really shit second half, as bad as we have played for a long, long time. No idea, no shape, no plan. Zilch. The subs and shape changes confused things even more, I had no idea what we were trying to do come the end. Broja did not get into the game at all, I can't even remember him having a touch.

Theo is just done as a pro, we all know that - and have for ages. Nothing to really debate there.

McCarthy shocking for the first goal, but defensively very weak on both - second one I had no idea who should have been marking who there, Lyanco just seemed to walk away from the ball. All very bizarre.

All in all, we've had a decent run. We were due a clusterfuck of a result and here it is. This is what mid-table teams do, no point getting too down about it.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

That's what happens when your keeper is shit.

The bucks stops with the manager is a stupid view from a stupid poster. The buck stops with the keeper, obviously, and I can't be bothered to explain why that is to someone as thick as you.

He/She is rather thick. Shows it with every comment. He hasn’t got a job. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Bob76 said:

So not the other players who did not score when we were on top, or the defenders who did not stop the chances, or the manager for not reacting to their changes and some bizarre changes. Just the keeper.

F**k off, the keeper is shit and had 2 howlers, always has been to passive at the near post, bar Walcotts sitter he missed we didn't create hardly any clearcut chances,  Ralph likes his zonal marking  which becomes an issue when a sub is introduced especially a cb at a corner, but for Ralph to then take off Romeu if he wasn't injured is just plain bonkers and a vision that Ralph hasn't got much of a clue game management wise

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

The bucks stops with the manager is a stupid view from a stupid poster. The buck stops with the keeper, obviously, and I can't be bothered to explain why that is to someone as thick as you.

The buck stops with the bloke that picks the keeper. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Saints foreva said:

Oh and KWP isn't a left back. We paid £10m for a LB in the summer, play him, or is he another one for the flop list?

not sure Ralph rates him. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire ad KWP has had a few good games in recent weeks at LB. Not today, but not sure anyone was calling for him to be dropped before the game.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bob76 said:

So not the other players who did not score when we were on top, or the defenders who did not stop the chances, or the manager for not reacting to their changes and some bizarre changes. Just the keeper.

If McCarthy had saved two very savable shots at goal, as he should have done, we would have won that game.

Agree with you that other players could do more, but as last line of defense you cannot afford to make one elementary mistake in goal, let alone two.

Two goalkeeping errors cost us the 3 points. You can't deny that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The buck stops with the bloke that picks the keeper. 

Oh, I guess he just pull a good keeper out his arse? Macca is shit, Forster is shit. "Why doesn't he just pick a good keeper" is an unbelievably stupid take even by your pathetic standards.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, TWar said:

Isn't it the manager who picks the goalkeeper?

• Like 1

That was a disgraceful display. Flapper McCarthy was incompetent at the near post. Came out and missed a corner completely. As long as Forster is at the club in my opinion he should play. That was three points chucked away. We were back to trying to over elaborate at the back and lost the ball or gave it away time after time.Sideways, aimlessly back, sideways back repetitively. If that is the sort of play Hasenhuttl advocates he is an idiot. It caused us more problems than Norwich did. Once they started pressing us we were under pressure. Diallo is no replacement for Stuart Armstrong.

For the first Norwich goal W-P was caught dwelling on the ball. He was poor today, coming inside or going backwards. He should only be playing on that side if Perrault isn't available. Bednarek is hopeless in possession everybody knows he is going to dither and turn backwards. All the short passing at the back is just asking for trouble. We played into their hands. Walcott again had the ball in the clear and turned back ended up giving the ball away and a corner resulted. Flapper McCarthy missed completely at the near post. 

• Like 4

Am I missing something here? If we'd stuck away some of our (12) chances in the first half and McCarthy hadnt chucked two in, then we'd have been sat in 7th now. I dont think either of those things are Ralph's fault, it's just a bang average squad who made mistakes at both ends.
We were missing our three most attacking/creative/pacey midfielders too (Djenepo, Redmond & Armstrong).
Ralph did try and change things earlier in the 2nd half as he could see it wasnt working (something he didnt do enough last season), with 3 changes to try and freshen it up and a change of formation to 5/3 at the back.
Yes I know Walcott doesnt have it anymore, but I'm sure he wouldnt have got on the pitch if Djenepo, Redmond or Armstrong had been available.
Missed opportunity and yes I'm gutted, but we should/would have won that at least 1-0, and would have done if it wasnt for an awful showing by our keeper.
Keep some perspective, we could easily have been sat 7th tonight (a 3rd of the way through the season), and personally I think thats a miracle with the squad and resources we have.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Just discussing Ole on Sky sports and the former pros have all agreed “the buck stops with the manager”. Not according to Stato, that’s a stupid take on it. Lol….

If his name was Ralph Higson from Barnsley the play station boys would place the buck firmly at his door. Lol 

Maybe the situation is different at united and southampton. It isn't always the same answer for every club all the time, dipshit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The only difference is the hipster scale of the manager. 

The only difference is one was a 4-1 loss from a team that just spent 100s of millions and has some of the best players in the world and the other is a 2-1 loss where the manager is barely backed and was clearly due to goalkeeping errors.

Goalkeeper cost us points, obviously. Neither should have gone in, what is the manager supposed to do? Save them himself? There is no way you can blame a manager for that unless you are thick as pig shit, so here you are to do so.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ade said:

If McCarthy had saved two very savable shots at goal, as he should have done, we would have won that game.

Agree with you that other players could do more, but as last line of defense you cannot afford to make one elementary mistake in goal, let alone two.

Two goalkeeping errors cost us the 3 points. You can't deny that.

This. If Macca had made two routine saves from those headers, as he should have done, we'd all be here talking about a professional 1-0 win where we were under a bit if pressure but did enough to keep Norwich out. 

Instead we gift them a win by letting in their only two serious efforts on goal thanks to an incompetent keeper.

• Like 4

Inevitable, all the confidence in the world. How people fancied our chances? After all it's only Norwich - Over-confident  team and support. The banana skin was strategically placed and we duly slipped on it. As usual the response on here to defeat is predictable. New players, new manager, blah, blah, blah! I hate losing as much as the next person, but not losing sleep over this one.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, St Louis said:

Am I missing something here? If we'd stuck away some of our (12) chances in the first half and McCarthy hadnt chucked two in, then we'd have been sat in 7th now. I dont think either of those things are Ralph's fault, it's just a bang average squad who made mistakes at both ends.
We were missing our three most attacking/creative/pacey midfielders too (Djenepo, Redmond & Armstrong).
Ralph did try and change things earlier in the 2nd half as he could see it wasnt working (something he didnt do enough last season), with 3 changes to try and freshen it up and a change of formation to 5/3 at the back.
Yes I know Walcott doesnt have it anymore, but I'm sure he wouldnt have got on the pitch if Djenepo, Redmond or Armstrong had been available.
Missed opportunity and yes I'm gutted, but we should/would have won that at least 1-0, and would have done if it wasnt for an awful showing by our keeper.
Keep some perspective, we could easily have been sat 7th tonight (a 3rd of the way through the season), and personally I think thats a miracle with the squad and resources we have.

Sensible post

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, St Louis said:

It's good to know that for every complete buffoon like Duckhunter there are sensible fans like you who can actually interpret what is going on.

• Like 3

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Fuck me, we’ve seen it play out over and over and over again. 

What’s his Xg, ISl & Wcwfs? 

It's funny because those aren't actually things, hurr hurr. Mate, even your sense of humour is that of a complete idiot.

• Haha 2

We just didnt offer anything in the 2nd 45, terrible,this could get worse over the next few games coming aswell. Offered nothing in the 2nd half and really. Why cant we play our £10m left back in the left back slot ?,move KWP to right then Liveramento right mid ,and how slow is JWP to deliver anything  not very forward thinking today,Diallo really infuriated me ,theres a player in there somewhere, if he could just cut out the silly decision making and sloppy under hit passes.I know i keep banging on aboutTella,but what has  done wrong that hes not thought of ahead of Walcott or even MOi?...........................................bollocks.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

He's not though, Macca has different weaknesses but Forster is definitely just as bad. Very poor at claiming crosses and low shots.

Can only base current opinion on Forster on what he has done in games specifically this season, but he’s looked a much more solid keeper than McCarthy in the limited times he has come in. Neither is perfect but Forster by far the more reliable option IMO. McCarthy seems to be 100% bolted in for Ralph in the league whatever happens though, so it’s a moot point.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Saints foreva said:

Oh and KWP isn't a left back. We paid £10m for a LB in the summer, play him, or is he another one for the flop list?

I voiced real concerns about him playing there after the Watford game, but nobody was having it.

This IS NOT about whether Perraud is a better player than KWP - he certainly isn't.

It's about the fact that we lose a lot of structural integrity when KWP is playing there. His "wrong foot" tackling and crossing are weak, and he ends up turning back or getting caught upfield. This forces Salisu to hedge his bets between covering KWP and defending, and that back-left quadrant looks way weaker.

Watford sussed it at half time and so did Norwich.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Can only base opinion on Forster on what he has done in games this season, but he’s looked a much more solid keeper than McCarthy on the limited times he has come in. Neither is perfect but Forster by far the more reliable option IMO.

Why? Did you only just start following us?

Forster has had a couple of decent games this season, but so had Macca, its consistency that is both of their issues and we have been shown that in a long stretch of games Forster is just as error prone. We could keep chopping and changing when one makes a bunch of errors, but consistency is important. We just have to pick one (as we have) and deal with the fact that they aren't actually that good.

We need to sign a new one ASAP

11 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

Inevitable, all the confidence in the world. How people fancied our chances? After all it's only Norwich - Over-confident  team and support. The banana skin was strategically placed and we duly slipped on it. As usual the response on here to defeat is predictable. New players, new manager, blah, blah, blah! I hate losing as much as the next person, but not losing sleep over this one.

No, I won't lose any sleep over this one either. When we lose the next 4 or 5 though, this one will probably come back to haunt us. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, St Louis said:

IF the biggest word in football

9 minutes ago, TWar said:

It's funny because those aren't actually things, hurr hurr. Mate, even your sense of humour is that of a complete idiot.

Don’t expect him to get xG. He is just coming to terms with women in the workplace

• Like 1
  • Haha 5