Norwich 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

Poor defending. Poor goalkeeping and missed chances. Just when we were on a bit of a roll. After 55 years of supporting this club why am I not surprised? Really need to be more clinical at both ends. I like Walcott as a person but, as others have said, he offers very very little now.

Edited by BallBoy

Listened to Solent and big Dave kept saying in the first half that Norwich would change tactics at half time. They did and Merington laid the blame at Ralph's door for not reacting and losing the game.

One of his big weaknesses is not countering opposition changes or seemingly even noticing them.

Edited by Bob76
  • Like 1

Really poor second half (again)!

Tbh I think we really missed Redmond and Stu and even Djenepo as playing Diallo further forward didn't really work. Problem then was Theo was our only 'ten' on the bench and sadly he's just not up to it any more.

McCarthy really poor for both goals. No-one played well, nice goal from Che aside. Bad day at the office

• Like 2

0.43 - 1.13 xG. McCarthy cost us that one.

Should have saved both for another 1-0 win for us.

Would be nice if we had better attacking mids to make it safer but with Redmond, Stu, and Djenepo out, its tricky.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

I know it's not funny but I have to laugh at us when we play like that.  I mean, what on earth is everybody thinking - we are losing, with 5 minutes to play and the way we knock it about around the back you would think that we are three up.

That was woeful - 3 points (that we can barely afford) dropped.  You can have all the fancy possession that you want - but only one stat counts in this game, and we really struggle to register where it matters.  Didn't see the first goal, but I'm assuming it was soft and my sister could've saved the second one, two average keepers is costing us.  Looking at the next games - not sure where the points will be coming from - getting ready for yet another long run with no wins.

8 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

OMG - that was terrible! I'm so angry. We've had some bad second halves but that has to be the worst ever. Some of our worst performances of the season. McCarthy terrible. Dialio terrible. KWP terrible. Walcott - seriously? Ralph - wtf were those substitutions...I get Broja for Elyenoussi who was also terrible...but Walcott, c'mon...take off Romeu? Lyanco is fine but why do that. When we knew we'd likely have control. of the ball why wouldn't you feature Redmond, S. Armstrong or Djenepo - some serious questions here about selection.

TERRIBLE!

None of them were available today.

Well that was poor.  Ralph really got the subs wrong. Diallo was shocking and should have come off (anyone who thinks he's better than JWP needs to give their head a wobble). Walcott is so poor its like playing against an extra man. KWP was almost as guilty as Diallo of under hitting passes. So much promise in the 1st half, and after our recent run of results.

• Like 1

Problem is that your not going to win very many when you can only score 1 goal per game. Especially when there’s a goalkeeper as dodgy as McCarthy - who in my eyes has to take most of the blame today - I could of saved both of them. 

But that doesn’t excuse Hasenhuttl’s poor decisions today. I feel like it’s a cliché to say his subs are bad, but today they were genuinely bizarre. 

As much as I praise Diallo, he was really poor today - really he should have been taken off. And as much as I criticise Ward-Prowse he was actually pretty good, got himself into dangerous positions for whipping in crosses, though his set-pieces have really gone downhill.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

0.43 - 1.13 xG. McCarthy cost us that one.

So not the other players who did not score when we were on top, or the defenders who did not stop the chances, or the manager for not reacting to their changes and some bizarre changes. Just the keeper.

• Like 1

Just now, Bob76 said:

So not the other players who did not score when we were on top, or the defenders who did not stop the chances, or the manager for not reacting to their changes and some bizarre changes. Just the keeper.

The point of the xG is they didn't have that many chances. We didn't make enough to be comfortable but Macca let two in he shouldn't have.

1 minute ago, Nemi said:

Problem is that your not going to win very many when you can only score 1 goal per game. Especially when there’s a goalkeeper as dodgy as McCarthy - who in my eyes has to take most of the blame today - I could of saved both of them. 

But that doesn’t excuse Hasenhuttl’s poor decisions today. I feel like it’s a cliché to say his subs are bad, but today they were genuinely bizarre. 

As much as I praise Diallo, he was really poor today - really he should have been taken off. And as much as I criticise Ward-Prowse he was actually pretty good, got himself into dangerous positions for whipping in crosses, though his set-pieces have really gone downhill.

In my opinion Diallo shouldn't have started. We could have started Tella and then had the option of Diallo if we wanted to bolster the midfield later. Instead we played Diallo out of position.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bob76 said:

Not just the keeper, but Jesus, they were two extremely simple saves, and he has to take the majority of the blame. 

• Like 1

Just now, Saints foreva said:

Oh and KWP isn't a left back. We paid £10m for a LB in the summer, play him, or is he another one for the flop list?

KWP was very effective against Villa, Watford, and Leeds. Feels a bit harsh to say this based off this game, which we basically lost because the keeper shat the bed.

10 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Ralph has really fucked this up

Agreed - how's this sit with all on here that ridiculed me for questioning Ralph just a few weeks ago (remember I did not call for his head, just that he was not the messiah and made some very poor judgments).

Today was entirely down to him and tactics, ok maybe also McCarty, Salisu and Livro (who should have been rested) to some extent, but he picked them and the formation. IMO Ralph gets too carried away when we are doing well - we only have an average squad and when we do well other teams study us and counter and he has no response to that. Granted we might have lost the game anyway but after a dominating first half (where we once again showed our main problem of not converting our chances), why change it? And Walcott really?

Would really like to know what Tella, Forster and others have done to not even get the odd few minutes

Just now, TWar said:

The point of the xG is they didn't have that many chances. We didn't make enough to be comfortable but Macca let two in he shouldn't have.

And we actually never have games like that where we think how the fuck have we won that?  Norwich shouldn’t get carried away

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWD said:

Almost feel sorry for Theo. Looks like his brain knows what he wants to do but just doesn't have the ability to do it anymore. He's shockingly bad now, looks way out of his depth.

I desperately want him to do well and shut us all up but there is nothing to hang on to

The knives are out for Walcott but there were atrocious performances all over the park today, McCarthy, Livramento, Broja all clueless. Diallo is a defender not a No 10 Ralph!

We are turning into a one half team; Smith neutralised us again today as he did in the second half against Villa. Obviously doesn't take much craft to knock us off our stride but to be frank we had so much possession in the fist half to have been 4-1 up. Nobody can blame Walcott for the abysmal lack of composure and quality in the 18 yard box in those first 45 mins.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob76 said:

Stick to PlayStation mate, the real game does not work like that 

xG has nothing to do with playstation. "the real game does not work like that" is meaningless. We should have won but the keeper let in two goals he shouldn't have. Stats confirm that.

11 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

The Romeu for Lyanco sub was the pivotal moment. Oriel had been superb and they got their winner from a mix up of who was marking who at the corner. JWP had 2 players Lyanco didn't pick anyone up.

You are being generous. Lyanco's marking of the goalscorer was absolutely pitiful. Embarrassing. Check the goal out from all the angles. He is fucking shite. McCarthy should have done better, no doubt about it, but attention should be on the CB. He does nothing. Woeful.  

• Like 1

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

They didn’t need many, only two. 

Typical Ralph ball. Not good enough, and the buck stops with the manager. 

That's what happens when your keeper is shit.

The bucks stops with the manager is a stupid view from a stupid poster. The buck stops with the keeper, obviously, and I can't be bothered to explain why that is to someone as thick as you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Micky said:

I know it's not funny but I have to laugh at us when we play like that.  I mean, what on earth is everybody thinking - we are losing, with 5 minutes to play and the way we knock it about around the back you would think that we are three up..

Alternatively you could say we kept possession well and carved open a brilliant chance as a result. Maybe at the death you should go long, but we hoofed it long for the first 20 minutes of the second half it we achieved the square route of fuck all. 

• Like 1