Norwich 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

28 minutes ago, Ade said:

If McCarthy had saved two very savable shots at goal, as he should have done, we would have won that game.

Agree with you that other players could do more, but as last line of defense you cannot afford to make one elementary mistake in goal, let alone two.

Two goalkeeping errors cost us the 3 points. You can't deny that.

I dont know why he persists with Mccarthy. Forster is the better keeper and it's not even close. Neither are great with there feet. Crap result but let's see where we are in January.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TWar said:

Why? Did you only just start following us?

Forster has had a couple of decent games this season, but so had Macca, its consistency that is both of their issues and we have been shown that in a long stretch of games Forster is just as error prone. We could keep chopping and changing when one makes a bunch of errors, but consistency is important. We just have to pick one (as we have) and deal with the fact that they aren't actually that good.

We need to sign a new one ASAP

Of course I didn’t start just following us. Form goes up and down for players, so you look at how they are doing recently. It’s no good saying that Forster used to be brilliant for us years ago as those days are gone.

Youve stated your opinions, I’ve stated mine, so have various people on this thread. I agree we need a new keeper but as far as I’m concerned, Forster is much the better option right now. 

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Ralph could lose another game 9-0 and his fan boys would find other  scapegoats. 

Its OK for people to rate our manager, regardless of if you dont. Why try and be condescending by calling them/me 'fan boys'?
We lost a game today because our attacking players didnt take their chances, and the keeper let in 2 howlers, I dont blame Ralph for either. I'm sure he would also prefer Haaland up top and Oblak in goal, but this isnt fantasy football.
We dominated the majority of the game today, and were it not for McCarthy's two mistakes today, we would be sat in 7th. Instead we are in 13th, which personally I also think is overachieving for a club of our size, with the finances the others have in comparison.
So I dont quite get the Ralph bashing and cant think of a realistic alternative who would get much more out of this squad.
Each to their own though, I'm quite happy to accept that others have differing opinions to mine. I'm just sharing mine as this is a forum... for Southampton FC fans, and I enjoy reading differing ones, without having to try and belittle them.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

18 minutes ago, St Louis said:

Its OK for people to rate our manager, regardless of if you dont. Why try and be condescending by calling them/me 'fan boys'?
We lost a game today because our attacking players didnt take their chances, and the keeper let in 2 howlers, I dont blame Ralph for either. I'm sure he would also prefer Haaland up top and Oblak in goal, but this isnt fantasy football.
We dominated the majority of the game today, and were it not for McCarthy's two mistakes today, we would be sat in 7th. Instead we are in 13th, which personally I also think is overachieving for a club of our size, with the finances the others have in comparison.
So I dont quite get the Ralph bashing and cant think of a realistic alternative who would get much more out of this squad.
Each to their own though, I'm quite happy to accept that others have differing opinions to mine. I'm just sharing mine as this is a forum... for Southampton FC fans, and I enjoy reading differing ones, without having to try and belittle them.

Because he's a prick HTH 

Edited by Chapel End
For dinosaur Duck
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Just discussing Ole on Sky sports and the former pros have all agreed “the buck stops with the manager”. Not according to Stato, that’s a stupid take on it. Lol….

If his name was Ralph Higson from Barnsley the play station boys would place the buck firmly at his door. Lol 

What is this buck you speak of? Always talking in riddles and metaphors. What a load of old Pony.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Streaky said:

I dont know why he persists with Mccarthy. Forster is the better keeper and it's not even close. Neither are great with there feet. Crap result but let's see where we are in January.

I disagree. It is close. McCarthy has made a number of worldy saves this season that have helped us win games. When he makes a error that costs us, they are forgotten. He does make errors though. 

Forster has been better since coming back from Celtic, looking much more solid and I've not seen any errors, all be it in less games. However, I don't see him making some of the saves McCarthy does (which I think is perhaps why Ralph doesn't pick him) he still doesn't come of his line to claim crosses and doesn't sweep well. 

I'm not convinced by either. 

• Like 2

Heartbreaker.  My only quibble w Ralph is I would not have brought Walcott on. I would not have taken Che off. Adam and Che are a partnership just waiting to ignite. They're both really exciting players.   It's going to happen. Just a shame it only half happened today.     I thought JWP had a wonderful game. He's landing more great passes than ever...    If we replayed that four times, same teams, we'd win three and draw one.....

Had a feeling we would struggle in this one and did question some of the complacency on here pre match. 

Familiar tale of good first half followed by poor 2nd. 

Missed chances. 

Points lost from a winning position. 

Poor goalkeeping.  

2 minutes ago, NewYorkSaint said:

Heartbreaker.  My only quibble w Ralph is I would not have brought Walcott on. I would not have taken Che off. Adam and Che are a partnership just waiting to ignite. They're both really exciting players.   It's going to happen. Just a shame it only half happened today.     I thought JWP had a wonderful game. He's landing more great passes than ever...    If we replayed that four times, same teams, we'd win three and draw one.....

were you not disappointed with our second half display? We struggled to get out of our own half, they dominated and the goal felt like it was coming. I'm not blaming Ralf for that, many will, but I didn't come away from that second half thinking we were unlucky not to win, I thought we got what we deserved.

• Like 2

I think the balanced view is today's result isn't purely down to Macca in goal, but Ralph should take a fair share of the blame too.

Yes McCarthy could have done better, defenders could have marked better and we could go on for days.

My criticism for Ralph is more to do with the game management today- what is he seeing in Walcott, why isn't Tella playing, why is our attacking "automatisms" failing this season? Unfortunately, our wins cannot always be 1-0, we don't have the defence of 2014-15/2015-16 to manage that.

I'm not calling for his head, but just stating what was observed today. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

This. If Macca had made two routine saves from those headers, as he should have done, we'd all be here talking about a professional 1-0 win where we were under a bit if pressure but did enough to keep Norwich out. 

Instead we gift them a win by letting in their only two serious efforts on goal thanks to an incompetent keeper.

Nutshell.

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

I thought we got what we deserved.

I'm inclined to disagree. I think overall, a draw would probably have been viewed as the 'fairest' result. However, had McCarthy made two routine saves for their two tame efforts, and we'd come away with a win, I wouldn't have viewed that as 'undeserved' given the amount of chances we had versus theirs, overall.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mr X said:

A new proven keeper should be first on our January wish list 

I said this before the start of the season. Can only think the contract situation with Forster blocked goalkeeping options? No excuse now.

I have had time to settle about today's terrible second half performance and I'm still angry. Taking Adams off for Walcott was criminal...and Romeu the rock too...madness. 

Too many bad performances all round. But we let Norwich win a game we should have won comfortably. Worries me that these dropped points and lost momentum will cost us.

Apparently the average end of season position is 2.6 places up or down from where you are after 11 games...so on this performance we'll be 16th.

38 minutes ago, trousers said:

Textbook

True though.. 

People like TWar will forever find excuses for the man. 

Injuries, no investment, shit players etc. Anything but his tactical judgement, which IMO is poor (I think he’s a good coach, just tactically not up to scratch).

It’s like no other manager has faced similar issues. Many have, none have lost 9-0 once, let alone twice. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

second one I had no idea who should have been marking who there, Lyanco just seemed to walk away from the ball. All very bizarre.

I do. It was Lyanco. He simply failed to do his job. 

The famous video clip of Colin Wanker giving Morgan a half time grilling for `not picking up the big man' comes to mind. I seriously hope someone is giving Lyanco a similar ear bashing. 

13 minutes ago, Dman said:

True though.. 

Injuries, no investment, shit players etc. Anything but his tactical judgement, which IMO is poor (I think he’s a good coach, just tactically not up to scratch).

It’s like no other manager has faced similar issues. Many have, none have lost 9-0 once, let alone twice. 

Might be three times next Saturday…

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Dman said:

True though.. 

Actually, on reflection, you're absolutely right. The 'apologists' (aka "fan boys" #chortle) are almost as incessant as those that can't wait to have a pop at him...

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Dman said:

True though.. 

The cult of Ralph is never going to dis their idol, even if / when he gets us relegated

38 minutes ago, Dman said:

True though.. 

You’ve changed your tune. Last week he was "top of the list to replace Smith," at Villa, who are now ‘leagues above us and we have no hope of competing with financially.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

not sure I see this great partnership. I see Armstrong creating stuff for himself. Not sure he needs Che. 

I posted this in August:

"If anyone thinks that Adams and Armstrong will provide enough goals for The Saints to stay in the Premiership then I suggest they need a reality check."

I've seen nothing, so far, to make me change my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You’ve changed your tune. Last week he was "top of the list to replace Smith," at Villa, who are now ‘leagues above us and we have no hope of competing with financially.

If only the mods realised it was posted by someone who had already been banned... ;)

2 minutes ago, gallaghert366@yahoo.com said:

I posted this in August:

"If anyone thinks that Adams and Armstrong will provide enough goals for The Saints to stay in the Premiership then I suggest they need a reality check."

Why did you wait for our first defeat in 5 games to remind us how insightful you are...? ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

The cult of Ralph is never going to dis their idol, even if / when he gets us relegated

One loss in like 5 and we are back to "if/when he gets us relegated". We can't win every game, even if we play better, sometimes individual errors from our lower quality players (Macca etc.) will let us down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trousers said:

I'm inclined to disagree. I think overall, a draw would probably have been viewed as the 'fairest' result. However, had McCarthy made two routine saves for their two tame efforts, and we'd come away with a win, I wouldn't have viewed that as 'undeserved' given the amount of chances we had versus theirs, overall.

Imagine accepting a draw V fucking Norwich.

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, gallaghert366@yahoo.com said:

I posted this in August:

🏅 in the post mate. Jesus. Imagine quoting yourself 

Quite frankly thats a miserable result, but ultimately summed up our season to date in 90 mins.

Dont take our chances and kill the game when we should

Make silly mistakes to gift teams goals 

Bizarre substitutions which make no sense - except to Ralph

Its at least a point dropped (didnt deserve 3 points with that 2nd half performance imo). McCarthy does McCarthy things, can produce a worldie save out of nowhere but then throws in some howlers. Let Liverpool stick 5/6 past him and then drop him like a stone. Walcott stealing a living and ruining any past sentiment saints fans had for him by the game. For Ralph to continue picking him ahead of Tella who was one of our shining lights the second half of last season is just mind boggling

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Not really. Some times managers can be good / not good fits at teams. 

I think Ralph is a good ‘coach’ and has a clear style he wants his teams to play. 

Personally, I don’t think that style is right for us. We’ve got too much of a soft under belly. Tactically he’s not all that flexible and makes questionable subs. 

I think Villa have the players that would suit his style, more so than us, and have funds to bring in others. 

Ive not changed my tune once. Just pointing out that Ralphs little bum boy crew will back him to the death. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

I see a lot about this. I wonder if the ‘mods’ could confirm why said poster was banned, other than offering an a different opinion. 

I should imagine it is a thread some might not want to pull at, as usually ban evasion (making a new account when banned) leads to a follow up ban ;)

Regarding Ralph, we were unbeaten in 5, we were the better side today and we lost because of individual errors from our weakest player who has already been slated as our next place to upgrade. I don't see how you can blame him for that, if the keeper had done his job it would have just been a professional victory.

Edited by TWar

2 hours ago, Chez said:

I disagree. It is close. McCarthy has made a number of worldy saves this season that have helped us win games. When he makes a error that costs us, they are forgotten. He does make errors though. 

Forster has been better since coming back from Celtic, looking much more solid and I've not seen any errors, all be it in less games. However, I don't see him making some of the saves McCarthy does (which I think is perhaps why Ralph doesn't pick him) he still doesn't come of his line to claim crosses and doesn't sweep well. 

I'm not convinced by either. 

Alex McCarthy has absolutely awful distribution in my opinion, having gone to most home matches, I watch in horror at the number of times the ball has gone directly to the opposition from a throw or kick. Yes, he has made some superb reflex saves, but this is what he is paid to do and what we should expect of a PL goalkeeper. It is now high time that Ralph gave FF a decent run in the team, he did well when he had the better defence in front of him with record number of clean sheets, and whilst he may not match this with the current defence in front of him, it is high time to give him a chance. I'm fed up with the ball going to the opposition putting out side under unnecessary pressure.