Saints 2-1 Coventry - Match Thread

whelk

13 hours ago, JRM said:

They will mate, Cov fan I know who lives down here reckons they'd bring over 5000 (whole Northam) if we give it to them like Ipswich had a few years back,  make tickets cheap and try to fill the whole ground. 

Agree, I wouldn't have thought they'd have too much trouble selling a full cup allocation, particularly if cheap tickets that should attract a 20k+ attendance. I can remember games back at the Dell with them when there was barely a Coventry fan in the ground!

Triggering the memory, brings back 2 home games early 80s with them, both with 10 goals. 5-5 midweek (during the Falklands war - think the Belgrano had just been sunk!) and drubbing them 8-2 soon after.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alehouseboys said:

Agree, I wouldn't have thought they'd have too much trouble selling a full cup allocation, particularly if cheap tickets that should attract a 20k+ attendance. I can remember games back at the Dell with them when there was barely a Coventry fan in the ground!

Triggering the memory, brings back 2 home games early 80s with them, both with 10 goals. 5-5 midweek (during the Falklands war - think the Belgrano had just been sunk!) and drubbing them 8-2 soon after.

Worldie from Keith Cassells in one of those I think.

• Like 1

Coventry have good support. (probably similar to ours in size). If league positions were swapped I'd like to think that we'd sell out 5 thousand at the Ricoh. Although my Cov supporting mate doesn't seem to think they'd sell out 5k. Fingers crossed I dont have to swap seats...

3 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

I've a strong memory of the 8-2 win.  It was a very sunny day and I was in the East stand lower Milton end so was dazzled by the sun as well as the football.  if memory serves both Moran and Danny Wallace got hat-tricks.  I was West stand lower Archers end (my normal bench seat) for the 5-5.  An absolutely bonkers game, I came away thoroughly confused about how to feel about it.

19 hours ago, M271 said:

And Man U are always on whoever they are playing. If they beat Villa that is.

Mixed comments on Coventry City forum 4th Round draw | Sky Blues Talk

A few cocky comments on there, a few years ago the gap was much smaller between prem and the championship but now, even the poorer prem sides are way ahead of the championship, I think some are seriously underestimating us.

1 hour ago, The Left Back said:

I've a strong memory of the 8-2 win.  It was a very sunny day and I was in the East stand lower Milton end so was dazzled by the sun as well as the football.  if memory serves both Moran and Danny Wallace got hat-tricks.  I was West stand lower Archers end (my normal bench seat) for the 5-5.  An absolutely bonkers game, I came away thoroughly confused about how to feel about it.

I still have PTSD from losing 3-2 in 1977. It was my first full season supporting Saints and |I was totally convinced we could not lose at home, just as we could not win away. I was behind the goal in the Milton when some curly headed Coventry striker named Wallace got at least two goals. I left the ground feeling like someone had died, choking back the tears. A feeling not experienced again  until we were relegated at SMS. 

5 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

Think the 5-5 was night we lost the HMS Sheffield we had Katalinic in goal the equaliser was only time he ever came off his line and got lobbed

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Toussaint said:

A few cocky comments on there, a few years ago the gap was much smaller between prem and the championship but now, even the poorer prem sides are way ahead of the championship, I think some are seriously underestimating us.

I thought the comments were quite reasonable. A bit of mutual respect over the 4-0 and how Southampton fans applauded them at the time.

Should be a good tie. I have some friends who are coventry fans and they're all pretty decent footy fans. They were a similar club to saints - the only real difference being that they got their (absolute dogshite) owners and we (thankfully) got Marcus. Could very easily have been reversed!

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

On 11/01/2022 at 18:44, Crab Lungs said:

I like Cov. Hope they can come back eventually, they’ve had a right old time of it. Good luck, CCFC. 

I can't imagine anyone but their local rivals (Leicester?) disliking Coventry. They're a good club with a good set of fans and they've always conducted themselves very well through all the bad times they've had.

Can anyone make a guess at when tickets are likely to go on general sale? Been quite some time since I got to a cup game! Ipswich at home I think was the last one I personally brought a ticket for and that was under Koeman!!

Edit: Sorry, just seen the question asked above

Edited by Instant Classic

22 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

TV selections haven't been announced yet, so I think when that's all sorted and the dates are confirmed the tickets will go on sale fairly soon after that.

Don't think there's any chance of our game being on TV

The following fixtures in the fourth round of the Emirates FA Cup’s 150th anniversary season have been selected for live television broadcast in the UK from Friday 4 to Sunday 6 February 2022.

FRIDAY 4 FEBRUARY 2022
• Manchester United v Middlesbrough at 8pm GMT on ITV, ITV Hub, STV and UTV

SATURDAY 5 FEBRUARY 2022
• Kidderminster Harriers v West Ham United at 12.30pm on BBC One and BBC iPlayer
• Tottenham Hotspur v Brighton & Hove Albion at 8pm on ITV4, ITV Hub, STV and UTV

SUNDAY 6 FEBRUARY 2022
• Liverpool v Cardiff City at 12pm on ITV, ITV Hub, STV and UTV
• Nottingham Forest v Leicester City at 4pm on BBC One and BBC iPlayer
• AFC Bournemouth v Boreham Wood at 6.30pm on ITV4, ITV Hub, STV and UTV

46 minutes ago, Instant Classic said:

Have other clubs put their FA Cup tickets on sale or is it just us taking forever? As per...

Just us taking ages, although actual issue could be the police approving Cov having such a big allocation, no delay needed for moving season ticket holders that's perfectly straightforward like every other time, Northam ones usually get first pick of any other non-season ticket holder seats and there's plenty of those in Itchen North and Kingsland North. 

Crystal Palace have given Hartlepool 4700 tickets and even offered to pay for their fans coaches, seems a bit generous 

14 minutes ago, JRM said:

Just us taking ages, although actual issue could be the police approving Cov having such a big allocation, no delay needed for moving season ticket holders that's perfectly straightforward like every other time, Northam ones usually get first pick of any other non-season ticket holder seats and there's plenty of those in Itchen North and Kingsland North. 

Crystal Palace have given Hartlepool 4700 tickets and even offered to pay for their fans coaches, seems a bit generous 

Wot I was told on phone from booking office mush ! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Wot I was told on phone from booking office mush ! 

Don't doubt that mate,  the ticket office make me laugh whenever I speak to them they make it sound like a military operation needing weeks of planning. 

This was what they did for Ipswich few years ago

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/ipswich-town-could-be-backed-by-5-500-fans-at-2173828

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JRM said:

Don't doubt that mate,  the ticket office make me laugh whenever I speak to them they make it sound like a military operation needing weeks of planning. 

This was what they did for Ipswich few years ago

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/ipswich-town-could-be-backed-by-5-500-fans-at-2173828

Yeah I remember it well .. you’d think we’d have a plan in place because of the above but this is saints box office we are talking about …don’t think the lady had been working there long or she just drew the short straw to answer and bs her way through my questions.😉

37 minutes ago, Instant Classic said:

Anyone know if we still need Covid passports? I lose track. I know they've been scrapped as a rule but it's implied that business' can still operate with them if they want to.

Hopefully they disappear from out society as quickly as possible.

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

There a link in the email confirmation to a covid form but I’m not expecting it to be enforced.

If you’ve already done a form you don’t need to do it again. As you say, unlikely to be enforced.

I bought our two tickets today. £10 each plus £1.50 each handling fee, which was annoying.

• Like 1

From what I can make out season ticket holders aren't guaranteed their normal seat - mine appear to have already gone which is a bit annoying as usually there is a window to reserve them. An opportunity to sit somewhere else for a change I suppose so no huge issue.

20 minutes ago, Katalinic said:

From what I can make out season ticket holders aren't guaranteed their normal seat - mine appear to have already gone which is a bit annoying as usually there is a window to reserve them. An opportunity to sit somewhere else for a change I suppose so no huge issue.

They should have been reserved for you unless you normally sit in blocks 40-42 or in the red zone around the tunnel. General sale is not until next Wednesday 26th.

14 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

They should have been reserved for you unless you normally sit in blocks 40-42 or in the red zone around the tunnel. General sale is not until next Wednesday 26th.

No, I'm not in these blocks and can't see that my tickets have been reserved, it doesn't give me that option.

5 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Oh dear. Mine were  in my account waiting for me. They were in something called 'reserved' or suchlike.

Yeah same for me.  Just clicked on reserved tickets.  Katalinic, did you sign in to the ticket site?

I'd also totally forgotten I had credit available, so my ticket was 'free'.

12 minutes ago, StDunko said:

Yeah same for me.  Just clicked on reserved tickets.  Katalinic, did you sign in to the ticket site?

I'd also totally forgotten I had credit available, so my ticket was 'free'.

If you click on the block on the stadium map your seats aren't there to be chosen as they are reserved for you, as others mentioned need to go to your account and ticket is waiting to be purchased 

39 minutes ago, JRM said:

If you click on the block on the stadium map your seats aren't there to be chosen as they are reserved for you, as others mentioned need to go to your account and ticket is waiting to be purchased 

Thanks! All sorted, I suppose the "My Reserved Tickets" header should have been a giveaway ;)

• Like 1

I'll never understand increased prices on the day. It massively reduces the chance of people going "f**k it, why not" on the day when they're paying more than the people sat around them. 

Says to me the club would rather get a miniscule amount extra in advance and have people not turn up than get a larger crowd in.

9 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

Next up. Tonight's show should shift a few more tickets - Cov got 4,800 at £10 same price as our ST holders so will have no trouble clearing them, surprised their's were not £15, same as general sale for home supporters.

Should see a strong side with the break coming up.

I think it's in the rules, we have to match the price for their season ticket holders to match the deal for ours. 

Saturday 3pm game with these prices will hopefully be a sell out before the match day 

Coventry still to play Stoke and Middlesbrough before us, whereas we get a two week break,  no doubt Ralph will still make some changes as he'll have an eye on the Spurs and Man Utd away games coming up that week but should ensure we go with a strong team