January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Blimey, sounds like we're shaking a lot of trees compared to our usual January activity.

4m would put Toko-Ekambi squarely in Orsic territory - experience that doesn't break the bank. Roughly a goal every 2.5 games during his top flight career across France and Spain (2016-present), so could be a bit of a steal if true.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, DT said:

🚨 Southampton want to sign Lyon striker Karl Toko-Ekambi (30) – the French side would demand at least €4million for the Cameroon international #saintsfc @FabriceHawkins

no brainer

That's dirt cheap. He's more of a left winger though...do we need another one? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Blimey, sounds like we're shaking a lot of trees compared to our usual January activity.

4m would put Toko-Ekambi squarely in Orsic territory - experience that doesn't break the bank. Roughly a goal every 2.5 games during his top flight career across France and Spain (2016-present), so could be a bit of a steal if true.

Got to be worth it for that money as he'll give us another option.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I remember watching him vs Switzerland in the WC and thinking he was comfortably the worst player on the pitch, could adapt quickly.

He was booed off the pitch by his own fans who told him to the leave the club according to the article linked above, so it seems you're not alone. 

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, egg said:

He was booed off the pitch by his own fans who told him to the leave the club according to the article linked above, so it seems you're not alone. 

He’s old though, which means he’s experienced, so he must be good - get him in!! 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

It seems we do given the links with Ekambi, Jackson, Mavididi and Maeda

Why though? Orsic, Edozie, Djenepo, Stu Armstrong, Adam Armstrong (mostly been playing there). Seems an odd use of our cash. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, egg said:

Why though? Orsic, Edozie, Djenepo, Stu Armstrong, Adam Armstrong (mostly been playing there). Seems an odd use of our cash. 

It seems as if we want versatiIity with players able to play anywhere across the three behind a lone striker. Orsic and Edozie could do that.

I would also suggest that Djenepo and Stu Armstrong's time here may be winding down

Edited by woodsaint1

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

It seems as if we want versatiIity with players able to play anywhere across the three between a lone striker. Orsic and Edozie could do that.

I would also suggest that Djenepo and Stu Armstrong's time here may be winding down

That's probably right, although the concern is no actual new central striker so leaving us with Che, A Armstrong or a winger playing through the middle. Not ideal. 

6 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

It seems as if we want versatiIity with players able to play anywhere across the three behind a lone striker. Orsic and Edozie could do that.

Hasn’t Djenpro just signed a new contract though?

7 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

That is fine, if we actually add many more goals for the team....

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

Agreed just pay want Villa want and get Ings back! 

Proven goal scorer 

Knows most our infrastructure and players...

Keeps us up then it's job done 👍 

Or

plays one game gets injured doesn’t reappear for 3 games. Scores. Starts next game gets injured, misses 5 games. Scores (rinse and repeat)

uses up our wage budget and transfer money and doesn’t deliver the goals we need (but yes, does score 1 in every 2.5 games played) 

I think this is a much more likely scenario. Good player but not the risk we need to take imho. Unless we can get him on loan. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, imadirtyurchin said:

Or

plays one game gets injured doesn’t reappear for 3 games. Scores. Starts next game gets injured, misses 5 games. Scores (rinse and repeat)

uses up our wage budget and transfer money and doesn’t deliver the goals we need (but yes, does score 1 in every 2.5 games played) 

I think this is a much more likely scenario. Good player but not the risk we need to take imho. Unless we can get him on loan. 

Or Che realises where he is supposed to be putting the ball when shown again by Ings

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

Something quite poetic about a Wood going to a Forest. Matt Oakley would have been good there too.

Legendary Saints centre back Steve Wood at the back alongside Maya Yew-Shida, Gerry Forest at right back, Jack Cork alongside Oakley in midfield with Jimmy A-Case-A making up the 3, Theo Walnut up front.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

The "Sports Journalist, presenter, occasional writer" Andy Turnswood (that's not you is it?) suggests Djenepo is going out on loan to Watford until end of season, with £8m option to buy.

1 hour ago, derry said:

Cherokee six or Single Commanche ?

I think they said it was a Piper 320. The registration was OYBTC if that helps. It was a six seater. Coming back from Sønderborg once there was a problem with the autopilot and I flew it through the cloud on instruments for an hour or so whilst our colleague, the pilot was upside down under the dashboard trying to fix it.

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

The "Sports Journalist, presenter, occasional writer" Andy Turnswood (that's not you is it?) suggests Djenepo is going out on loan to Watford until end of season, with £8m option to buy.

Not me honest lol. I see he also reported that Ounahi was linked with a 35m move to Bournemouth so wouldnt treat what he says as gospel.

If we're serious about pushing on under SR we need to replace/move on the likes of Djenepo, Diallo, Moi and AA. And we're making all the right noises in the window so far

Edited by woodsaint1