January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

10 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

A lot of these players we've been linked with look good, even exciting,  but the priority is, and has been all season, to sign a striker with a proven record as a goal scorer. Surely that's where we should be spending whatever we can scrape together-- then see what else se we can afford?

I am not sure we are going to get the ready made striker people are clamouring for, unless it's someone like Ings. I am hopeful, that with recent improvements in personnel and style, that this will allow others will chip in with goals. We will create more chances, both of which will take a lot of pressure on Che. 

4 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

A lot of these players we've been linked with look good, even exciting,  but the priority is, and has been all season, to sign a striker with a proven record as a goal scorer. Surely that's where we should be spending whatever we can scrape together-- then see what else se we can afford?

That DM position has been a massive problem for us with Lavia out, Diallo shite and JWP not really working out there. Bolster the centre and  possession, chances and goals will probably improve. 

In terms of a striker, perhaps the problem is more along the lines of we need a £30m type striker to make a difference, but £30m strikers ain't coming here/won't be allowed to leave in January (I realise that doesn't excuse the summer). I guess you could pay £30m to prise away a guy that is only really worth £15-£20m from his current club. But we did that with Carrillo.

I mean the long of short of it is the club don't want to sign another Carrillo.Unless a player of the right quality is gettable, they ain't going to spend for the sake of spending.

I'm an Ings man, but if it was my money and it required a £20m fee and £150k a week for the next 3.5 years I might have my worries, assuming Ings would even come back, and Villa had a replacement that would enable him to depart.

• Like 1

Won't be surprised if Lavia leaves...

But it shows how screwed football is when a player leaves a club because of limited opportunities.
And then a year later her moves to a club where his opportunities are probably going to be more limited.

15 minutes ago, bennyev said:

Won't be surprised if Lavia leaves...

But it shows how screwed football is when a player leaves a club because of limited opportunities.
And then a year later her moves to a club where his opportunities are probably going to be more limited.

What are you basing this on?

Lavia is not going this window so how is it evidence of "how screwed football is"?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

What are you basing this on?

Lavia is not going this window so how is it evidence of "how screwed football is"?

Blimey. Chill out.

By saying a year later it suggests that I think he'll move in the summer.

You don't?

And then yeah - I believe football is pretty screwed if a young player takes a step down to get game time.
and then a year later he's swallowed up by another big club and then doesn't play again for years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Salisu not going to Newcastle last January and missing out on £40m is a stark reminder that you need to choose carefully when you sell players, as the window of opportunity can close fast. We'll get what, £15m, maybe £20m for him in the summer?

Slightly different situation here with Lavia, as the contract has another 4.5 years to run and our league position is more precarious than last year, but if we go down his value could fall.

However, I don't think there is any chance he will go in this window.  

Would he pass a medical?

4 minutes ago, bennyev said:

Blimey. Chill out.

You don't?

And then yeah - I believe football is pretty screwed if a young player takes a step down to get game time.
and then a year later he's swallowed up by another big club and then doesn't play again for years.

I think if Lavia went to Chelsea he'd start quite a few games

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Sky reporting this link now as well. Although Lyall did tell us Alcaraz was a striker who was at Staplewood whilst he was in Argentina so pinch of salt.

Feels a very sensible signing, this. Hope we get it done. Fills a big Oriel hole

• Like 4

6 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Rather we use Broja as a sweetener. Hopefully in the summer, he could br included in the deal.

Use a player they've got as a sweetener to sign another player they've got? I'm not sure you understand how these things work.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, DT said:

I think if Lavia went to Chelsea he'd start quite a few games

Yeah possibly. But also think Boehly might get bored and then go out and buy Enzo Fernandez or Declan Rice 6 months later.
It's a really tough club to join.

11 minutes ago, benjii said:

Sorry Nic Jackson (woo)

I am for real

We just signed Steven Mividididi

He will play up front for SFC

jackson 5 - santa clause is coming to town

Nic Jackson is coming to saints,

you better watch out,

you better not cry (saintsweb),

you better not pout i’m telling you why,

30 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Sky reporting this link now as well. Although Lyall did tell us Alcaraz was a striker who was at Staplewood whilst he was in Argentina so pinch of salt.

Right Rasmus, good game good game, do you want to go higher or lower? Nothing in this game for two in a bed.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

It's on its way back now, but really, is this the plane we 'woo' potential new signings with???

Anyone else NOT fancy the thought of 3 and a half hours stuck in a flying washing machine?

spacer.png

Changing subject a bit but saw Cardiff finally paid the first deposit £5m for Sala recently about time!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

you better watch out,

THINGS can only get BETO

Can only get BETO, now i found you

Things can only get BETO

Can only get BETO, now i found you and you and you

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Obafemi to Burnley rumoured

Would be a good little collection of Saints and ex Saints: Jack Cork, Nathan Tella, JRod, O’bafemi. Burnley are flying, top by 5 points but more importantly clear of third place by 16. Kompany has done great job so far.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Chris Wood going Forest on loan, few on here will be annoyed at that (even though he's utter shite).

Something quite poetic about a Wood going to a Forest. Matt Oakley would have been good there too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bennyev said:

Blimey. Chill out.

You don't?

You're the one wailing about how "screwed" football is, so you don't need to tell me to chill out, sweetheart.

If someone chucks £50m on Lavia then he's going to play for that club, not "doesn't play again for years".

Honestly, calm down.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

It's on its way back now, but really, is this the plane we 'woo' potential new signings with???

Anyone else NOT fancy the thought of 3 and a half hours stuck in a flying washing machine?

spacer.png

Reminds me of the times that I used to get flown to Denmark and back in a single engined Piper 320. That was six hours no toilet 😵💫

2 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

you better watch out,

Saint Nicholas is coming to Saints🧑‍🎄