January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

https://www.pianetalecce.it/news/528087420422/il-southampton-ci-prova-saverio-sticchi-damiani-dice-di-no-i-motivi-del-rifiuto

Sounds like it would cost a lot more to get Hjulmand as Lecce don't want to lose him mid season.

Seems fairly certain we made an offer though, which is interesting.

Alcaraz is obviously seen as an attacking midfielder and we know we are so short of cover/replacement for Lavia who will likely go in the summer anyway so good to see us target someone in this position.

Re Gallagher, I don't see it happening. We already spent big to get Alcaraz who is a similar player and if Gallagher is available I'm sure he would go back to Palace anyway.

Just now, Dusic said:

https://www.pianetalecce.it/news/528087420422/il-southampton-ci-prova-saverio-sticchi-damiani-dice-di-no-i-motivi-del-rifiuto

Sounds like it would cost a lot more to get Hjulmand as Lecce don't want to lose him mid season.

Alcaraz is obviously seen as an attacking midfielder and we know we are so short of cover/replacement for Lavia who will likely go in the summer anyway so good to see us target someone in this position.

Re Gallagher, I don't see it happening. We already spent big to get Alcaraz who is a similar player and if Gallagher is available I'm sure he would go back to Palace anyway.

Vieira said in a recent press conference they won’t be getting him back this window. 

Suspect there's an element of planning for the summer going on.  Wouldn't surprise me if both Lavia and JWP are subject to lots of speculation about leaving which is a bit of a worry. 

Gallagher could fill a JWP sized hole although I would imagine he would have some other, better options.

Edited by revolution saint

28 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Suspect there's an element of planning for the summer going on.  Wouldn't surprise me if both Lavia and JWP are subject to lots of speculation about leaving which is a bit of a worry. 

Gallagher could fill a JWP sized hole although I would imagine he would have some other, better options.

Much more likely Lavia to leave than JWP in my opinion, if we stay up. 

Just now, Appy said:

Think both are equally likely and both will attract bids.  Whether we'll let both go is another matter but if a bid comes in from a decent sized ambitious club (Newcastle?) and JWP wanted to move then I think we'd find it hard to say no to him.  

5 minutes ago, Appy said:

Still a bit worried that if a big offer comes in for Lavia he'll go this window. If it hasn't already.

Edited by DT
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Its interesting this stance as they are well above relegation and nowhere near europe, no matter what happens this season they are staying in the mid table zone.

The piece i saw a glint of light is this bit "Obviously, despite the capital gain that would be obtained thanks to the sale of Hjulmand it would be remarkable, the proposal from the English club was not considered fair" so they are open to selling him for the right price.

6 minutes ago, Appy said:

I see it the other way. Lavia has only been with us one season and may well feel he wants another season of regular gametime before going back to a big club. If JWP gets a good offer he'll no doubt feel the time has come for a new challenge

6 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I don’t see JWP leaving whether we stay up or go down tbh. 

Yeah i think he's here for good now - 100k a week for a few more years but i think the great opportunity window has passed, he will become a club legend instead of being a squad filler in a champs league team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I see it the other way. Lavia has only been with us one season and may well feel he wants another season of regular gametime before going back to a big club. If JWP gets a good offer he'll no doubt feel the time has come for a new challenge

If I had to guess I'd say Lavia more likely to go than JWP in the summer (can't see either going this window).  My thinking is that:

a) the club have been clear about the pathway, and are buying on that basis.  As soon as a player attracts the attention of a big 6/7 club they'll be allowed to go.  Out of the current crop Lavia is the stand out too be plucked early.  At the moment we've bought loads and sold none; I'm assuming the strategy from this summer will be more one in one out.

b) we need a core of senior players to retain momentum and stability.  JWP is top of that pile.  

I guess if a top 6/7 bid for JWP in the summer came in he/we would have to consider it, but I think that is less likely than Lavia getting bought back by city or raided by one of the others.

I'd love Lavia to stay for at least one more season after this but I'd be surprised.

• Like 1

Been reading loads of rumours that Saints are on the verge of signing Villarreals Nicolas Jackson - don't get it. Most of last season he was either in the B side or on the bench. He's made 33 Appearances for Villarreal and only got 3 goals and 4 Assists?? He's not been in the squad for the last couple of games and averaged 26 minutes in the previous 5 - can someone explain why hes so highly rated or are we about to buy another lemon?

Hope the other rumours may be true re Danny Ings coming back - 52 Appearances with Villa and 14 Goals / 14 Assists - could do with another 46 goals for Saints!

39 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Its interesting this stance as they are well above relegation and nowhere near europe, no matter what happens this season they are staying in the mid table zone.

The piece i saw a glint of light is this bit "Obviously, despite the capital gain that would be obtained thanks to the sale of Hjulmand it would be remarkable, the proposal from the English club was not considered fair" so they are open to selling him for the right price.

The first offer is obviously to test the waters. We would be doing something wrong if it was accepted. Can see the player wanting the move and only needs to look at his compatriot Hojbjerg to see what a successful spell here could do for his career.

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

when there us no speculation about any of our players, that's the time to worry. As a business and a football club, getting `too good to turn down offers' is what we need, followed by fantastic reinvestment in players that are equally brilliant. We have been a bit low on both in recent times, hence the league position and £90m debt we now have.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

Everton could make a move for 26-year-old French striker Moussa Dembele, whose Lyon contract expires at the end of the season. And now we are getting Nicolas Jackson? What a big contrast!

Pretty sure Dembele was linked with us last summer but wanted to play for a team in Europe.

3 hours ago, derry said:

January1959, FA Cup third Round. Special train to Manchester. Third division Saints v First Division Manchester City. With the magnificent Bert Trautmann ex German paratrooper and POW in goal . Terry Paine tore Man City defence and full back Cliff Sears apart, Saints won 5-1, Reeves 4 and O'Brien plus Cliff Huxford playing most of the match after pulling a muscle early on - no substitutes in those days. We got back to the Central Station after midnight. George O'Brien shouting " Where's the bloody brass band "

1963, snow from Boxing Day until April, hardly any football played.  George Kirby pushing a pram around Cumberland place then terrifying Peter Grummitt with Saints 0-3 with 13 minutes left drew 3-3 after 1-1 draw away in FA Cup sixth round (QF) then beat First Division Notts Forest I think 5-0 at White Hart Lane in second replay on a neutral ground. Lost 0-1 to a scrappy Denis Law goal at Villa Park in the Semi Final.

All the Saints players used to hang out after training at the old Tudor Coffee Bar at the Junction. Lots more where that came from.

Hi Derry

What wonderful memories they were eh. Cannot remember the Man C match but my Dad and I did go to the Nottingham Forest match and remember it well. It was under floodlights....yes ? 

You were accurate in your description of George Kirby " terrifying " Peter Grummitt that evening. Think Grummitt had some England caps too. Football was a very different game then. Seem to remember Kirbys final goal, a header, he took the ball, Grummitt and most of the net with him when he powered the header in !

What an effective player Kirby was in those days. Big, strong and fearlesss with alot of needle. Think we bought him from Plymouth along with Stuart Williams from WBA and Tony Knapp from Leicester ( I think )

And then the trip to White Hart Lane. What a game that was. Your post brings old memories back of famous players. Cliff Huxford who was our " defensive " mid fielder  and Kem Wimshurst was our " attacking" mid fielder. All sides were set up like that in those days.  Tony Knapp our captain and centre half. Think he was an England under 23 international and Stuart Williams at full back, a full Welsh international. Think he was in his mid 30's when he joined us. 

Do you remember Ron Reynolds in goal ! He wore old fashioned glass contact lenses and under floodlights was continiously walking to the edge of his penalty area and rubbing his eyes ! It never filled you with confidence !

Thankyou for the memory jog.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Butthole_Surfer said:

How does Sander Berge do these days in the Championship after his injury? Big, strong DM…

Very well. Contract is running down, and there was talk this week of the asking fee had reduced (Sheff United turned down £15m from Bruge in summer), but Sheff United are going for promotion, so I doubt they will sell now unless its a hefty offer.

Just the kind of player we need to add some power in the midfield. Can't see it happening though.

39 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

The first offer is obviously to test the waters. We would be doing something wrong if it was accepted. Can see the player wanting the move and only needs to look at his compatriot Hojbjerg to see what a successful spell here could do for his career.

Completely agree, there’s a lot of conversation before a club submit a bid, especially as it’s not deadline day or anything. If they knew it was completely off the table, why would they bother submitting a bid. I think it was just as per usual well below their selling point or even at the point where they would consider negotiating 

Edited by daldridge7
Spelling

I'm no expert here, but one thing I will say in SR's favour is, it is not so long ago that we were having to wait to sell a player before we could buy anyone. Now we seem to have some money to buy players - not in the Saudi type proportions, but enough to get us out of trouble if we get the right players in. Under Gao's regime, I feel we would have been doomed by now and having to sell JWP, KWP, Lavia or whoever to get new blood in. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

when there us no speculation about any of our players, that's the time to worry. As a business and a football club, getting `too good to turn down offers' is what we need, followed by fantastic reinvestment in players that are equally brilliant. We have been a bit low on both in recent times, hence the league position and £90m debt we now have.

Oh yes, I agree, and it's better than having a bunch of players no one else wants.  I just wouldn't want to lose both JWP and Lavia in the same transfer window.  Realistically I reckon next summer we'll see Salisu, KWP and one of JWP or Lavia leave.  That's if we stay up.  Would imagine we'll see a few fringe move as well - Diallo, both or one of the Armstrongs, Walcott.  Maybe even Aribo.  Summer is likely to be a busy one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

I don’t see JWP leaving whether we stay up or go down tbh. 

This entirely. I think if he was going he’d have gone a while ago now, the summer just gone would’ve been the last one before the World Cup.

He’s professional and level headed enough to know that he’s better off staying here. 

As for England, he’s played a few times, he’s scored a goal, realistically was he going to win a tournament? Always slim odds, arguably our biggest years we’re currently in. But I feel he’ll be less bothered about England now.

15 minutes ago, Chez said:

Very well. Contract is running down, and there was talk this week of the asking fee had reduced (Sheff United turned down £15m from Bruge in summer), but Sheff United are going for promotion, so I doubt they will sell now unless its a hefty offer.

Just the kind of player we need to add some power in the midfield. Can't see it happening though.

Too bad… would be interesting how much it would take to get him here…

32 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

You think we will sell our best midfielder when we are bottom of league? Cripes!

I hope not, but if there is a £50m offer or above I certainly think our owners will look at it seriously

10 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

I'm no expert here, but one thing I will say in SR's favour is, it is not so long ago that we were having to wait to sell a player before we could buy anyone. Now we seem to have some money to buy players - not in the Saudi type proportions, but enough to get us out of trouble if we get the right players in. Under Gao's regime, I feel we would have been doomed by now and having to sell JWP, KWP, Lavia or whoever to get new blood in. 

This. My only critique would be that we should spent maybe a bit more per player for the immediate quality, rather than scattergun approach of kids who aren’t ready.

That’s what Newcastle did last season in January, and their form took an upturn.
We should’ve done that this summer and prioritised problem areas with quality rather than “potential”.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Oh yes, I agree, and it's better than having a bunch of players no one else wants.  I just wouldn't want to lose both JWP and Lavia in the same transfer window.  Realistically I reckon next summer we'll see Salisu, KWP and one of JWP or Lavia leave.  That's if we stay up.  Would imagine we'll see a few fringe move as well - Diallo, both or one of the Armstrongs, Walcott.  Maybe even Aribo.  Summer is likely to be a busy one.

Can't see JWP going anywhere now and if we sell Lavia the books will start to balance.

KWP is going to need a £100k a week contract to stay here. Maybe he is worth that. Adams is another that no doubt wants paying similar sums to stay. Not sure he is worth the contract, but his value is going to fall as he gets closer to walking on a free. 

Very interesting summer. Just need to stay up to retain a portion of control of these potential moves.

• Like 1

A lot of these players we've been linked with look good, even exciting,  but the priority is, and has been all season, to sign a striker with a proven record as a goal scorer. Surely that's where we should be spending whatever we can scrape together-- then see what else se we can afford?

21 minutes ago, DT said:

I hope not, but if there is a £50m offer or above I certainly think our owners will look at it seriously

Salisu not going to Newcastle last January and missing out on £40m is a stark reminder that you need to choose carefully when you sell players, as the window of opportunity can close fast. We'll get what, £15m, maybe £20m for him in the summer?

Slightly different situation here with Lavia, as the contract has another 4.5 years to run and our league position is more precarious than last year, but if we go down his value could fall.

However, I don't think there is any chance he will go in this window.  

• Like 2