January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

19 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Looks like Forest are going for Wood, who seemed a popular choice amongst some posters on here when the window opened.

It worries me that this team of individuals is going to click, we are already 5 points behind them.

I think they already have clicked tbh, and it was highly likely to happen after the WC. I don't think they go down now. You look at their results since the start of November....In the league, they've beaten Leicester, Us, Palace and Spurs, drawn to Chelsea and Brentford, and only lost to Man Utd...

image.png.02514ab9be0a84c53e9dd889cbd8862f.png

image.png.4003b96eda89ebe6b8fc11719fea88ef.png

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Think Wood is just what we need to be honest.  Him and Adams as a front two would be a handful and decent IMO.

he is, would be a very good signing for someone. Decent goal scoring recorded across several season and that big presence we need up front.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

he is, would be a very good signing for someone. Decent goal scoring recorded across several season and that big presence we need up front.

Ings took a lot of pressure off Che Adams and he is very much a confidence player, would be interesting to see him alongside a proper number 9 type.  Whoever we end up I hope that we get the option of a target man, a unit up front.  If that happens I reckon we will see an increase in goals from midfield too - great to have a number 9 and Adams tying up defenders with Orsic and JWP lurking on the edge of the box.  Come on Rasmus get the laptop with the red button out!  

3 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Ings took a lot of pressure off Che Adams and he is very much a confidence player, would be interesting to see him alongside a proper number 9 type.  Whoever we end up I hope that we get the option of a target man, a unit up front.  If that happens I reckon we will see an increase in goals from midfield too - great to have a number 9 and Adams tying up defenders with Orsic and JWP lurking on the edge of the box.  Come on Rasmus get the laptop with the red button out!  

Come on Rasmus, check the spreadsheet, 53 premier league goals in 179 appearances playing for mainly teams fighting relegation. That's a goal a game, do the math.

• Haha 6

Just now, Turkish said:

Come on Rasmus, check the spreadsheet, 53 premier league goals in 179 appearances playing for mainly teams fighting relegation. That's a goal a game, do the math.

I bet it's mostly wanking at Staplewood with a chair up against the door though.  That and tofu and green tea breakouts with Mart.  If anyone can recognise a bruiser centre forward its those two!

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Lots of ‘The Athletic’ noises about this for quite a while now. Looks pretty likely to happen. Pace and power yes, clinical edge we all want to see fire us to safety, perhaps not. 

As I said yesterday a front 3 of Orsic - Ings - Jackson would be exciting to watch.

• Haha 1

I have to be honest, i know very little about this player (jackson) other than the stats and a short video clip. seems everyone is judging already. 

All I would like to say is 95% of the fan base was judging Mad Nath on his previous club and 4 early games stating he was shit, out of his depth and clueless etc. Turns out that most have had to take a quiet moment of pause. Maybe we could try this again before we start frothing at the mouth and screaming at him.

The obvious caveat to this comment is we all judged Carillo before his first game and we were spot on. funny old game football. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Lots of ‘The Athletic’ noises about this for quite a while now. Looks pretty likely to happen. Pace and power yes, clinical edge we all want to see fire us to safety, perhaps not. 

As I said yesterday a front 3 of Orsic - Ings - Jackson would be exciting to watch.

Not for me unless we are just looking for a ball carrier with a few assists. Don't think this guy is the out and out goal scorer we need and reckon he'd struggle in the Premier League. There's better available so steer clear or we could well be wasting a wedge of money.

3 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

I have to be honest, i know very little about this player (jackson) other than the stats and a short video clip. seems everyone is judging already. 

All I would like to say is 95% of the fan base was judging Mad Nath on his previous club and 4 early games stating he was shit, out of his depth and clueless etc. Turns out that most have had to take a quiet moment of pause. Maybe we could try this again before we start frothing at the mouth and screaming at him.

The obvious caveat to this comment is we all judged Carillo before his first game and we were spot on. funny old game football. 

Just a reminder that Nathan Jones has won one Premier League game. But yes. Pinch of salt.

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Looks like Forest are going for Wood, who seemed a popular choice amongst some posters on here when the window opened.

It worries me that this team of individuals is going to click, we are already 5 points behind them.

He'd be just what we need - a proper number 9 who can finish. Whether or not he goes to Forest, I can't see them going down. 

• Like 2

If we had signed this guy after his solo goal at St Mary’s in preseason this would have been greeted with more enthusiasm. Our predicament does mean this is only acceptable if he’s not the main striker and is one of 2 more attacking players coming in. 

14 apps in La Liga this season 2 goals and 2 assists. In 9 of which he played 65 mins or less and only completed the 90 mins once. Goal every 397 mins, roughly every 4.5 games.

Has played CF and LW/RW. Transfer Market has CF as his main position, which is worrying if we’re holding any hope for him to sign with another CF. I think Danjuma, also linked with the PL (Everton and Bompey) is the better player.

On a more positive note, we would be a fast team on the counter with Orsic and Jackson in the team. Just the question of who is putting it in the net!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

I think they already have clicked tbh, and it was highly likely to happen after the WC. I don't think they go down now. You look at their results since the start of November....In the league, they've beaten Leicester, Us, Palace and Spurs, drawn to Chelsea and Brentford, and only lost to Man Utd...

image.png.02514ab9be0a84c53e9dd889cbd8862f.png

image.png.4003b96eda89ebe6b8fc11719fea88ef.png

Lets not get too concerned. Wolves and Leicester are both garbage (as were we when we played them), and Forest were easily the worst side i've seen at SMS in years (bar us).

But yes, they have built up some momentum through all of that - and as we've seen from two cup wins, that goes a long way!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

If we had signed this guy after his solo goal at St Mary’s in preseason this would have been greeted with more enthusiasm. Our predicament does mean this is only acceptable if he’s not the main striker and is one of 2 more attacking players coming in. 

14 apps in La Liga this season 2 goals and 2 assists. In 9 of which he played 65 mins or less and only completed the 90 mins once. Goal every 397 mins, roughly every 4.5 games.

Has played CF and LW/RW. Transfer Market has CF as his main position, which is worrying if we’re holding any hope for him to sign with another CF. I think Danjuma, also linked with the PL (Everton and Bompey) is the better player.

On a more positive note, we would be a fast team on the counter with Orsic and Jackson in the team. Just the question of who is putting it in the net!

according to transfermarkt it’s only the one game as cf, so my hope is that we sign him as well as a chris wood / danny ings banker. it does also say we’re competing with sunderland for his services.  

• Like 1

Don't know much about Jackson. People don't seem very excited by him or his record? And we're going to go and spend £20M on him? Hmm. Not a promising start :( Or, is he good and i'm just skimming a few negative comments?

Also, seems a bit strange that we are spending £20M on a squad player. As far as i can tell, the last game he started they lost 3-0 to Lech Poznan on the 3rd Nov? Seems to be regularly involved from the bench, and usually on the wing - may at least mitigate his goals return.

Edited by Saint86

2 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Don't know much about Jackson. People don't seem very excited by him or his record? And we're going to go and spend £20M on him? Hmm. Not a promising start :( Or, is he good and i'm just skimming a few negative comments?

most of us hadn't heard of him until about a week ago so i dont anyone knows. £20m isnt that much these days unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Don't know enough about him to know if this is a good deal or not but it feels like the bulk of our budget is going into the wrong position. Hopefully there's still £20m-£25m left for the striker we desperately need. We also need another DM.

Edited by Disco Stu

17 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

according to transfermarkt it’s only the one game as cf, so my hope is that we sign him as well as a chris wood / danny ings banker. it does also say we’re competing with sunderland for his services.  

Sunderland 😂 that’s an odd one isn’t it!

No idea if he's any good, but he's certainly different to what we have.  Certainly fits the sort of striker we've been looking at...Jackson, Moffi, Semenyo, Estupiñán. Seems like Moffi was probably our first choice, but the bidding war / Bournemouths involvement has meant that hasn't happened for whatever reason.

Gets a clean slate from me, but it certainly seems like a lot of money for another striker that doesnt score goals...

• Like 1

I think he's the sort of player we need, as we saw with our links to Gakpo in the summer. Not necessarily an out and out number 9, but someone who can offer physicality and pace in the wide area's and up front.

I would hope and expect that he is in addition to a 'number 9' type though, as I still think we're screaming out for one of those. You can have all the attacking players you want (Orsic, Edozie, Jackson) but that's only one part of the puzzle, if you've only got Adams on the end of the chances then you're still not in a good place and not a lot will change.

• Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

I think he's the sort of player we need, as we saw with our links to Gakpo in the summer. Not necessarily an out and out number 9, but someone who can offer physicality and pace in the wide area's and up front.

I would hope and expect that he is in addition to a 'number 9' type though, as I still think we're screaming out for one of those. You can have all the attacking players you want (Orsic, Edozie, Jackson) but that's only one part of the puzzle, if you've only got Adams on the end of the chances then you're still not in a good place and not a lot will change.

I would expect we won't be signing a striker as well as him. Or surely we wouldn't have signed Orsic too.

• Like 1

There really isn’t many/any guaranteed goal scorers about. The bottom half of the PL is proof of that, it’s littered with players this messageboard has been jealous of not signing and now struggling to score. There’s probably 1 at every team from 11th down and they all probably cost roughly what this guy is going to cost us. 

• Like 3

Scoring is an art and we need someone who is clinical.

Adams is fantastic for hold up play but clinical he’s truly not.

The most clinical person in our squad is JWP and if you took his goals and assists out we would be down by now.

Come on Saints pay that little extra to get that great striker we desperately need.

18 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

The most clinical person in our squad is JWP and if you took his goals and assists out we would be down by now.

Come on Saints pay that little extra to get that great striker we desperately need.

Ings is one of the most clinical strikers in the prem - if we can't get someone comparative we really should be trying to strike a deal with villa.

• Like 3

Just now, Saint86 said:

Ings is one of the most clinical strikers in the prem - if we can't get someone comparative we really should be trying to strike a deal with villa.

I believe we want a loan deal, Ings wants it but Villa want to sell and we’re reluctant to buy.

9 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I believe we want a loan deal, Ings wants it but Villa want to sell and we’re reluctant to buy.

That probably changes as the deadline edges closer, if they realise they're getting no takers by the end they may well accept a loan with an option (he'd have 12 months left at the end of that loan, so any fee would be affordable to us – dependant on staying up obviously).

They've just signed a new young striker too, not one for their youth team either as they've spent £20m on him. My nervousness on this one is waiting until the death for a loan, it neve happening and then going into the rest of the season with no striker signing. That would just be infuriating.

Edited by S-Clarke

35 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Go on…