January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

The board really are taking huge risks with our future.. if we go down it’s on then we have needed a striker since broja left and we are still tossing around .

jackson (neymar) isn’t the answer, his finishing looks as bad as ches and for someone nicknamed neymar he’s not exactly boufal skillwise either ..

very strange move imo what are we doing ??

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Clever.

Che needs 5 chances to score, so better to create 5 chances per game compared to the 2 we get now.

Problem with Che is that no matter how many gifty chances you present him, he fluffs them... Then scores the ones he has no right to. He needs precisely zero time to think about anything, else he makes a total cock of it.

• Like 3

Someone posted that there could be some nostalgia kicking in by wanting Ings back.

And there could be a grain of truth in that for some of us. However if that is true, I think we....the fans the club sorta got our fingers burnt when Walcott resigned.

There was a nostalgic feeling in signing the young guy we nurtured and sold on and then for him to resign in the twilight of his career. 

It clearly didn't work out did it ! The greatest thing Theo had in his armoury was pace and it became clear very early on that he had lost that and his effectiveness had been greatly reduced.

For me that is not the case with Ings. His strength was a natural one. Very few have it. It is to be in the right place at the right time....mostly in the penalty box...and clinically put away chances.

I'm an old boy now but those particular skills were shares by Ted Mcdougal, Jimmy Greaves....even bloody Gary Lineker God forbid !

Someone put the latest stats on Ings on here in regard to minutes spent on the pitch v number of goals for Villa. And they are good !

Now I accept there are lots of impededents in the way of him resigning. He might not want to return for a starter ! Length of contract,loan or a permanent deal another...wages ?

But as I posted a few days ago. We are in a desperate situation. Graver than any other previous season. In my opinion, we do not want another unproven  ' wonderkid ' who might make a difference but probably will not. For once the club's priority should not be about acquiring Someone just as an investment to sell on for profit.

We need proven goal scoring ability to get us out of the mire. Ings has that and shown it over many seasons with various  clubs.

I think Saints gravest mistake in the summer was allowing Romeou to leave. He could have been 'managed ' in key games.

I hope we don't all  come back in 19 games time and ask why didn't we get in a proven,experienced guy to help Adams out.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, SambaMaverick said:

Do people actually watch the Premier League? Ings has started only 8 league games, six goals. He'd walk into our team right now, and he's the best readily-available option in this window.

How is it even a question?

I've got my doubts ( mainly due to injury record)  but that's ☝️☝️☝️fair enough.

10 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Problem with Che is that no matter how many gifty chances you present him, he fluffs them... Then scores the ones he has no right to. He needs precisely zero time to think about anything, else he makes a total cock of it.

We all know he's not the greatest finisher but Che is still a big part of the team.  He played  a huge part in both goals against Everton.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Francis1947 said:

Someone posted that there could be some nostalgia kicking in by wanting Ings back.

And there could be a grain of truth in that for some of us. However if that is true, I think we....the fans the club sorta got our fingers burnt when Walcott resigned.

There was a nostalgic feeling in signing the young guy we nurtured and sold on and then for him to resign in the twilight of his career. 

It clearly didn't work out did it ! The greatest thing Theo had in his armoury was pace and it became clear very early on that he had lost that and his effectiveness had been greatly reduced.

For me that is not the case with Ings. His strength was a natural one. Very few have it. It is to be in the right place at the right time....mostly in the penalty box...and clinically put away chances.

I'm an old boy now but those particular skills were shares by Ted Mcdougal, Jimmy Greaves....even bloody Gary Lineker God forbid !

Someone put the latest stats on Ings on here in regard to minutes spent on the pitch v number of goals for Villa. And they are good !

Now I accept there are lots of impededents in the way of him resigning. He might not want to return for a starter ! Length of contract,loan or a permanent deal another...wages ?

But as I posted a few days ago. We are in a desperate situation. Graver than any other previous season. In my opinion, we do not want another unproven  ' wonderkid ' who might make a difference but probably will not. For once the club's priority should not be about acquiring Someone just as an investment to sell on for profit.

We need proven goal scoring ability to get us out of the mire. Ings has that and shown it over many seasons with various  clubs.

I think Saints gravest mistake in the summer was allowing Romeou to leave. He could have been 'managed ' in key games.

I hope we don't all  come back in 19 games time and ask why didn't we get in a proven,experienced guy to help Adams out.

Never wanted Walcott but would love Ings back.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, GDog07 said:

As much as a backward step it may seem, of the targets spoken about recently, Ings is far better than any, especially compared to £20m on this guy, you’d get Ings for a snip of that price. I hope I’m wrong if this goes through.

Thing is, I don't think you get Ings for a snip of that price - I bet Villa are asking 20m for the reasons everyone has mentioned. Even at 30 year old, he's scoring goals. You just won't get any of that money back. Whether we can afford to spend 20m on someone with no probable resale value is a tough question, but it doesn't sound like it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Thing is, I don't think you get Ings for a snip of that price - I bet Villa are asking 20m for the reasons everyone has mentioned. Even at 30 year old, he's scoring goals. You just won't get any of that money back. Whether we can afford to spend 20m on someone with no probable resale value is a tough question, but it doesn't sound like it. 

Also he's their only senior striker right now with Watkins injured. So they definitely aren't going to be selling him for a snip. And that's even if he wants to leave Villa to come back... This isn't FM where you can sign any player for their asking value... 

• Like 1

Che Adams on missed chances: “I’m just not getting the right connection at the right time, so that’s what I would like to work on. Having that cool mind in front of goal, really relaxing & blocking out any outside noise.” #saintsfc [echo]

“also, not being shit”

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, jayrivers said:

Also he's their only senior striker right now with Watkins injured. So they definitely aren't going to be selling him for a snip. And that's even if he wants to leave Villa to come back... This isn't FM where you can sign any player for their asking value... 

Haven't Villa just signed that Chicago Fire striker, which would mean Ings could be a little closer to the exit door?

6 minutes ago, charliemiller said:

Beto is by far the best talent including Ings , they have named the price they want which is 30m , so they will take 25m plus add ons , the club should get it done.

Power in the air turns on players shoulders like Broja did , a beast !

Broja was my first thought on watching that video too

1 minute ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Haven't Villa just signed that Chicago Fire striker, which would mean Ings could be a little closer to the exit door?

But he's 19, so I can't see that they would be comfortable with that being their only striker. But I guess it depends on the extent of Watkins injury and if Ings actually wants to leave. But to suggest he'll be available for a snip of Jackson seems very unlikely. Like most, I would absolutely want him back for the right price/deal. 

Also earlier in the window it was suggested we were after two attacking players and a striker. So there is time yet. However improving the rest of the team, if we can't get a striker that would improve us and be affordable, is a valid approach. As much as we need a striker, sometimes things don't work out. Our midfield has been a huge issue and this has been improved. And our chance creation and creativity has also been as issue, as is midfielders adding goals. All of which has/is being improved. 

Also if you look at the scoring in the prem, only Leicester and Palace (in the relegation candidates) have players who have scored more than out top scorer JWP. We need to create more goals, however we do that. And they are already exploring multiple avenues. Long term we absolutely need the right striker to push on, but I'm just prepared that might not happen in this window due to many many reasons. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Thing is, I don't think you get Ings for a snip of that price - I bet Villa are asking 20m for the reasons everyone has mentioned. Even at 30 year old, he's scoring goals. You just won't get any of that money back.

You will if he is the difference between 17th and relegation.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Relegation is worth an awful lot more than 20 million plus whatever in wages. It’s rubbish that we are desperate, but we are desperate all the same.

I can’t think of anyone else, in this sort of price bracket, who would actually want to come, who would probably score premier league goals for us immediately.

53 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

The board really are taking huge risks with our future.. if we go down it’s on then we have needed a striker since broja left and we are still tossing around .

jackson (neymar) isn’t the answer, his finishing looks as bad as ches and for someone nicknamed neymar he’s not exactly boufal skillwise either ..

very strange move imo what are we doing ??

Bold statement. We don't know what the board have and haven't tried to do. They've shown themselves able to players over the line, but in reality, we can't always get who we want.

I'd hazard a guess that the club have enquired about Ings and Wood, but if they ain't available for sale or loan, then we ain't getting them. 

• Like 1

SWF transfer response

Linked to player

Quick trip to wikipedia to see his stats (goals per game if hes an attacker)

Quick watch of a 3 minute video on youtube

"He's not what we need, what are the club doing?!?"

Honestly, I despair at times on here. Why dont we trust the analysis and scouting the club have done as its been largely very good in the last few windows. 

It looks like he plays more AM than striker so we're probably after an out and out striker also. Hes also been playing regularly for Villareal which is more than a step up from us. 

With a front six of Lavia, JWP, Alcaraz, Orsic, Jackson and a new striker (hopefully) - that is much better than what we started the season with

• Like 5

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

SWF transfer response

Linked to player

Honestly, I despair at times on here. Why dont we trust the analysis and scouting the club have done as its been largely very good in the last few windows. 

It looks like he plays more AM than striker so we're probably after an out and out striker also. Hes also been playing regularly for Villareal which is more than a step up from us. 

With a front six of Lavia, JWP, Alcaraz, Orsic, Jackson and a new striker (hopefully) - that is much better than what we started the season with

I think what you've said is what people are saying, really. No one has any problems with us signing Jackson per say, in fact he looks a quality attacking player that will get bums off seats.....but as you've said you hope we're after a striker as well, so I think it's fair to say that there will be a tinge of ''wtf'' if this guy is instead of that striker (that proper out and out striker).

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, charliemiller said:

This guy looks terrifying, not sure he's the best finisher as there are a few moments in there where you can't tell if its a cross or a shot, but he should cause all sorts of chaos. He'd be a handful for any defence and looks like he'd win plenty of freekicks, plus would obviously be a big threat from JWP set pieces. Quite raw but certainly a lot of base ingredients to work from. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tajjuk said:

This guy looks terrifying, not sure he's the best finisher as there are a few moments in there where you can't tell if its a cross or a shot, but he should cause all sorts of chaos. He'd be a handful for any defence and looks like he'd win plenty of freekicks, plus would obviously be a big threat from JWP set pieces. Quite raw but certainly a lot of base ingredients to work from. 

when the strikers only weakness is ‘defensive contribution’ you know he’s good.

3 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

I’ve not seen one video yet where I’ve been unimpressed with Jackson. Pace, power, skill and finishing. 

You’d have to be as thick as mince to write him off. Oh. I remember, I’m on SW. Thick as mince it is.

So true 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

SWF transfer response

Linked to player

I do agree, but your entire post hinges on it being Jackson and a striker. 

Obviously that could well be the case but I think most of us are sceptical about the chances of that after NJ's latest comments.

"I didn't say we were looking for a number nine, I said we were looking for more attacking potency. Whether that's a number nine, whether that's a wide player, or whatever it is. We want to add aggression, pace, power, and quality."

I think most have looked at that and deduced that it will in fact just be Jackson now, hence the concerns.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think what you've said is what people are saying, really. No one has any problems with us signing Jackson per say, in fact he looks a quality attacking player that will get bums off seats.....but as you've said you hope we're after a striker as well, so I think it's fair to say that there will be a tinge of ''wtf'' if this guy is instead of that striker (that proper out and out striker).

Also I’m not even sure Jackson will go directly into the side.. Imo he doesn’t look as good running with the ball as edozie.. and has nowhere near the quality of Orsic .. then when you add in moi seems to somehow always manage to get in the team I’m not sure why we need this guy . If we really really had to go for another winger doku looks much better..

he looks a bit headless chicken on YouTube and not really knowing what he’s doing when running with the ball.

if this is instead of a striker it really does look bonkers 😝 

hea also out if contract next summer I think so looks expensive for how long he he has left 

I feel the people who are dismissing Jackson then suggesting Chris Wood would be a good signing are rather undermining their arguments. Wood is crap, hence why he doesn't play for Newcastle and (5 in 39 for them) and had 3 in 21 for Burnley before they bought him, and he's now 31. 

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

I’ve not seen one video yet where I’ve been unimpressed with Jackson. Pace, power, skill and finishing. 

You’d have to be as thick as mince to write him off. Oh. I remember, I’m on SW. Thick as mince it is.

I don't think anyone is writing him off as such but after some of the players we've signed, particularly up front, you can forgive people for being sceptical of a player who has two league goals this season.

6 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Also I’m not even sure Jackson will go directly into the side.. Imo he doesn’t look as good running with the ball as edozie.. and has nowhere near the quality of Orsic .. then when you add in moi seems to somehow always manage to get in the team I’m not sure why we need this guy . If we really really had to go for another winger doku looks much better..

he looks a bit headless chicken on YouTube and not really knowing what he’s doing when running with the ball.

if this is instead of a striker it really does look bonkers 😝 

hea also out if contract next summer I think so looks expensive for how long he he has left 

3 years left on contract 

• Confused 1

Get Jackson on loan, option to buy, no more. Not worth the risk shelling out the kind of money being touted.
Two goals is poor for a winger. Seems more Djenepo than Mané-esque. 😅

I’ve never heard of him. In fact I’ve probably not watched a Villarreal game since the likes of Marcos Senna and Robert Pires played there. 😅 

Thats the wide player slot sorted alongside Orsic.

Alcaraz - again I never heard of him but it’s a CM more than we had last month. See how he does. He was low cost so little risk.

A striker is a must. Even if it’s Brereton-Diaz. He could be another Adam Armstrong but he’s a wide forward that could give us more options positionally.
I wouldn’t go for Moffi or be shelling out £25m unless they’ve had a few good seasons under their belt. Seems like another Carrillo risk in shelling out that kind of money for someone I’m going to guess hasn’t been majorly scouted.

If SR are all about “stats” I imagine the scouting convo went something like “He scored ten goals”, “Yeah, he’ll do”. 😅

Edited by FarehamSaintJames

26 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Best YouTube I’ve seen since Steve De Ridder.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I do agree, but your entire post hinges on it being Jackson and a striker. 

Obviously that could well be the case but I think most of us are sceptical about the chances of that after NJ's latest comments.

"I didn't say we were looking for a number nine, I said we were looking for more attacking potency. Whether that's a number nine, whether that's a wide player, or whatever it is. We want to add aggression, pace, power, and quality."

I think most have looked at that and deduced that it will in fact just be Jackson now, hence the concerns.

Fair enough. But have we not had a longer term interest in Jackson (going back to the summer), and then linked this window at the same time as Moffi, Beto etc. It could all be for the same position as you say but I wouldnt read too much into NJs comments as I do recall him saying we didnt expect to be too busy this window, which doesnt seem to be the case. Perhaps the comments above have been purposely fed to the media to downplay our interest in a number 9, who knows

9 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Get Jackson on loan, option to buy, no more. Not worth the risk shelling out the kind of money being touted.

I’ve never heard of him. In fact I’ve probably not watched a Villarreal game since the likes of Marcos Senna and Robert Pires played there. 😅 

Alcaraz - again I never heard of him but it’s a CM more than we had last month. See how he does. He was low cost so little risk.

A striker is a must. Even if it’s Brereton-Diaz. He could be another Adam Armstrong but he’s a wide forward that could give us more options positionally.
I wouldn’t go for Moffi or be shelling out £25m unless they’ve had a few good seasons under their belt. Seems like another Carrillo risk in shelling out that kind of money for someone I’m going to guess hasn’t been majorly scouted.

If SR are all about “stats” I imagine the scouting convo went something like “He scored ten goals”, “Yeah, he’ll do”. 😅

Season 9 Idk GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Some very weird fans on here now 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

I do find it weird when saints are linked to all these players from random leagues and all these people suddenly become scouts having been watching the player 'for about 5 years' and every time says "I said saints should go after him years ago, get this done" only for him to sign and be shit. 

On 21/12/2022 at 17:28, Chez said:

A player like Nicolas Jackson at Villarreal might help add some pace and power coming off a wide starting position. He was the guy that ran past four or five of Saints player in the pre-season game. Another young player though, as yet to fulfil his full potential. Not sure that would go down well on here.

If he turns out to be shit, don't blame me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I am going to go against the habit of a lifetime and place my trust in SR. If they think Jackson is what we need so be it. 
I have loads of doubts. I am still very wary of Jones and every time he opens his mouth I flinch a little more but - I do think Dragan, Rasmus and Henrik, having invested north of 100m (if Jackson signs), have a firm hand on the tiller. 
They must see what we all see, surely?

They simply cannot be that stupid to not realise what we need to stay up, surely? 
Just hope my blind faith will be rewarded. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Loan with option to buy seems like a good approach, but that relies on Villarreal being happy to do that and why would they? The deal is totally in our favour.

£18m is a lot of wedge for someone yet to set the world on fire, but he does look like he might bring some genuine pace and power to the party. Not sure how many goals he will score though especially this season.

• Like 1

I would assume (no real knowledge on this one) that to get Saints from a loan to a permanent transfer in the region of 20m, mid-season, that Villarreal have agreed to a fairly heavily-structured payment on the deal. If so we might be spending about £6m now with the other £6m due in a year or so and the rest contingent on performance bonuses.

In which case, no reason to believe they wouldn't still pursue a central forward.

Copied from Not606.

• Like 1

Ever since it became obvious that Moffi was a no-go and Jacob Tanswell started mentioning Jackson I've thought we would get him.

No issue with it. Promising young player, recently linked to better clubs than ours, who adds new attributes to our attack in terms of height, pace and power.

Even if he plays more in wide areas I don't think that is an issue. Adams largely plays well for us and he will be a key player, the problem is that we don't get enough players around him who are a goal threat. With JWP in his new role, Orsic and potentially Jackson, that definitely adds some threat.

People get fixated on strikers but loads of the top scorers in the PL the last few seasons are not traditional central strikers and most teams only play with one anyway.

No point signing a central striker who isn't better than Adams so if we can't do that then signing a good player who can play all actoss the front seems sensible. We won't be doing this and then dropping another £20m on someone else as well.

Hopefully we close the deal as supposed intetest elsewhere and the Danjuma  situation which could impact.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, tajjuk said:

I feel the people who are dismissing Jackson then suggesting Chris Wood would be a good signing are rather undermining their arguments. Wood is crap, hence why he doesn't play for Newcastle and (5 in 39 for them) and had 3 in 21 for Burnley before they bought him, and he's now 31. 

I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone on here outright say “don’t sign Jackson, sign Wood instead”. Maybe some have done it by inference but after an initial scan back through I haven’t seen it. Personally, I’ve not commented on it either way so I have no dog in this fight, but to say Wood is “crap” seems a bit silly to me.  The bare stats listed of 5 goals in 39 don’t sound good. But, this season at least, he has only started 4 league games, sub in 14 others and he has 2 goals from 440 league minutes on the pitch. Which by direct comparison is around a goal every 2.5 games, albeit its an extremely small sample size (and tbd one was a penalty). But it’s certainly not a laughable contribution, and definitely not “crap”.

Stats aside. What Wood ‘might’ give us is an extra option up top, someone who can bring attacking midfielders into the play a bit better with his hold up abilities. And, at 31 years old, it’s short term thinking but it might be something we can afford and actually get done this season. Che adams is working his balls off in that position and has no direct backup, if we lose him we change our way of playing, and I get this idea that Nathan Jones likes the idea of a strong central lynchpin up top.

Before any straw-manning gets underway, I’m not saying Chris Wood is the answer. But he’s  not “crap” either though, and it’s worth of some consideration being as he, possibly, could be a striker that we might be able to bring in. If SR don’t want him then fair enough.

edit: figures taken from a very quick google.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/chris-wood/leistungsdaten/spieler/108725

https://footystats.org/players/new-zealand/chris-wood

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 2

Just reading the posts again on this thread and particular references to the re-signing of Ings and whether it involves a little bit of nostalgia for some of us.

Please bear in mind that I am an old boy now of 75 years and first attended a Saints match in 1959.

So, real nostalgia for me would be watching againTerry Paine on the right wing and  Johnny Sydenham on the left providing the crosses for Ron Davies to head into the net in front of a packed Dell.....especially evening matches under floodlights. The atmosphere was fantastic. Wonderful memories as a little lad attending every home match with my old Dad. I seem to remember that some teams used to spend the night at the Polygon hotel nearby and walk to the Dell before the match. Remember walking with Ray Wilson one evening when he was playing for Huddersfield and before he was capped by England. Some local kids asked for a pic and the after he stopped to allow them to take one, they pretended that thy didnt know who he was.....and he got very annoyed and grumpy !

Now, that's nostalgia !

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Francis1947 said:

Just reading the posts again on this thread and particular references to the re-signing of Ings and whether it involves a little bit of nostalgia for some of us.

Please bear in mind that I am an old boy now of 75 years and first attended a Saints match in 1959.

So, real nostalgia for me would be watching againTerry Paine on the right wing and  Johnny Sydenham on the left providing the crosses for Ron Davies to head into the net in front of a packed Dell.....especially evening matches under floodlights. The atmosphere was fantastic. Wonderful memories as a little lad attending every home match with my old Dad. I seem to remember that some teams used to spend the night at the Polygon hotel nearby and walk to the Dell before the match. Remember walking with Ray Wilson one evening when he was playing for Huddersfield and before he was capped by England. Some local kids asked for a pic and the after he stopped to allow them to take one, they pretended that thy didnt know who he was.....and he got very annoyed and grumpy !

Now, that's nostalgia !

If we’re going nostalgia I can’t go back that far but I’m going to when I was 16/17 and watching Rod Wallace and MLT on the ‘wings’ with Shearer and Rideout up front. Halcyon in 1989/90!

• Like 8