January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Whoscored is usually pretty accurate with its ratings of players based on stats...

Screenshot_20230117-220048.png

Bloody hell, not exactly encouraging is it? I was hoping for someone who could hold the ball up and win the ball in the air. 
It’s not this guy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tajjuk said:

I feel the people who are dismissing Jackson then suggesting Chris Wood would be a good signing are rather undermining their arguments. Wood is crap, hence why he doesn't play for Newcastle and (5 in 39 for them) and had 3 in 21 for Burnley before they bought him, and he's now 31. 

You criticise Wood and use his stats to support the argument.  If you're supportive of Jackson signing, what are you basing that on? It can't be stats, as his are shit. 

Regardless, Wood ain't crap. He's not playing for Newcastle cos they play one up top and that one is Wilson. He's an upgrade on Adams, and imo a better finisher. If we're going to play with one up top, I think he improves us.

I like the look of Jackson personally. Looks a bit raw, but the attributes are there. If it was one of him or Wood though, I'd take wood as we're more in need of a centre forward than a wide forward. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, egg said:

You criticise Wood and use his stats to support the argument.  If you're supportive of Jackson signing, what are you basing that on? It can't be stats, as his are shit. 

Regardless, Wood ain't crap. He's not playing for Newcastle cos they play one up top and that one is Wilson. He's an upgrade on Adams, and imo a better finisher. If we're going to play with one up top, I think he improves us.

I like the look of Jackson personally. Looks a bit raw, but the attributes are there. If it was one of him or Wood though, I'd take wood as we're more in need of a centre forward than a wide forward. 

Mate. Wood is crap. 

At least Jackson has a chance to improve. Wood is not what we need at all 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Osvaldorama said:

Mate. Wood is crap. 

At least Jackson has a chance to improve. Wood is not what we need at all 

We need a centre forward who can hit the ground running in the PL. This season.  Not next. Jackson may improve, but relying on another raw kid would be mental. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Osvaldorama said:

Mate. Wood is crap. 

Yes.

1 hour ago, egg said:

We need a centre forward who can hit the ground running in the PL. This season.  Not next. Jackson may improve, but relying on another raw kid would be mental. 

Sorry Egg, but Wood is not that man. And also i don't think he suits the mobility we seem to be using now under Jones. Che may not be able to finish, but he covers tremendous ground, wins flick ons and brings others into the game, and is prepared to chase and press. I just can't see that being Wood for our system - he is just a simple big man up top, minimal mobility, and average finishing (of that). 

Edited by Saint86

45 minutes ago, egg said:

No I criticise Wood because he's crap and the stats just support that. I know very little about Jackson, I am not supporting his signing or dismissing it because I just don't know enough about him.

My point was people have been dismissing potential signings they don't know much about and then suggest complete trash hash been PL players because of 'experience' or other nonsense. I'd rather play an untested kid who might be good, rather than a confirmed not good PL player that will want high wages and get demanded a high transfer fee. 

He is not an upgrade on Che in the slightest he was complete rubbish for Burnley BEFORE Newcastle bought him, he's scored 3 in 21 for Burnley, two of which I think were pens, he just confirmed he's crap since and Wilson is injured often so Wood has had plenty of games and all it has confirmed is he's not very good. 

Wood is a limited target man, who iirc took Burnleys pens as well which inflated his goal tally (similar to how Toney's goal tally gets him over rated by many when like 40% of his PL goals have been pens) and had a Burnley team playing direct football specifically to his strengths and even then at his peak he was scoring like 10-12 at best and that was like 3-4 years ago. 

Signing Wood is basically like turning into Everton. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Yes.

Sorry Egg, but Wood is not that man. And also i don't think he suits the mobility we seem to be using now under Jones. Che may not be able to finish, but he covers tremendous ground, wins flick ons and brings others into the game, and is prepared to chase and press. I just can't see that being Wood. 

Eh, he connected well with a header against Everton, but it wasn't really a flick on since it was uncontested. I've yet to see much evidence that he actually wins much usable ball in the air when he's jumping against the CB. 

Played to feet and chest he shields it well enough, but I just don't see any evidence that Adams is getting much done in the air aside from skimming the odd ball into touch or back to their keeper.

Edited by verlaine1979

1 hour ago, Appy said:

I like the sound of this one. Captains his team at 23. 6’1 too so a bit of necessary height.

I like the system we’re currently running but I do feel that Diallo is a weak spot in the team. Coupling that up with the fact that a Lavia injury at the moment would essentially confirm relegation, this is the position I’d want us to pursue the most outside a striker.

His defensive stats (below) compared to the rest of Serie A midfielders are pretty incredible.

Would also perhaps be useful to get somebody in 6 months early as the more negative side of me is already worried at Chelsea seemingly loitering around Lavia, mixed in with Boehly’s incredibly happy trigger finger. I’d guess Rice was their first choice but their inevitable lack of Top 4 will probably see him go to Arsenal and Romeo be their next choice up.

BFE4A0D0-1485-404F-A8BA-6A213C9E6683.jpeg

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, tajjuk said:

This guy looks terrifying, not sure he's the best finisher as there are a few moments in there where you can't tell if its a cross or a shot, but he should cause all sorts of chaos. He'd be a handful for any defence and looks like he'd win plenty of freekicks, plus would obviously be a big threat from JWP set pieces. Quite raw but certainly a lot of base ingredients to work from. 

I largely agree with the above but one thing of concern for me is his inability to use his left foot. Couple of opportunities to shoot with left that he chooses to open up his body and fails with his right. When he does 'shoot' with his left (at 3.18), he makes a pigs ear of it. Same with his left footed cross near video end. Are their many successful footballers that are so one sided I wonder? He does look a right handful though and wouldn't be easy to defend against.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tajjuk said:

No I criticise Wood because he's crap and the stats just support that. I know very little about Jackson, I am not supporting his signing or dismissing it because I just don't know enough about him.

My point was people have been dismissing potential signings they don't know much about and then suggest complete trash hash been PL players because of 'experience' or other nonsense. I'd rather play an untested kid who might be good, rather than a confirmed not good PL player that will want high wages and get demanded a high transfer fee. 

He is not an upgrade on Che in the slightest he was complete rubbish for Burnley BEFORE Newcastle bought him, he's scored 3 in 21 for Burnley, two of which I think were pens, he just confirmed he's crap since and Wilson is injured often so Wood has had plenty of games and all it has confirmed is he's not very good. 

Wood is a limited target man, who iirc took Burnleys pens as well which inflated his goal tally (similar to how Toney's goal tally gets him over rated by many when like 40% of his PL goals have been pens) and had a Burnley team playing direct football specifically to his strengths and even then at his peak he was scoring like 10-12 at best and that was like 3-4 years ago. 

There's too much fantasy approach on here. This is the real world. I'm interested in what the club can realistically do, not what people on a forum would like after watching a few YouTube videos and reading some stats. 

It's the January window so there's limited options. We're in the shit. Sellers know that. We're fishing in a small pond for players that other clubs want.

Anyone wanting us to sign another talented kid must be nuts, and  completely forgotten Mara. He needs time. Another kid will need time. Guess what, we ain't got time.

Sure, there's better centre forwards out there, but we need one PL ready immediately. Not once we're down. And only for this season  stay up, then buy properly in the summer. This is a half season signing.

In reality there's two PL experienced centre forwards mentioned. If Villa beat us at the weekend and go to 28 points I think there's a chance they would send Ings here, otherwise no chance. That leaves only Wood, or someone from overseas. Jackson has promise but is one legged. Risky. Moffi wouldn't be sanctioned by the Bournemouth owner. Beto looks like the best option. We also need to think whether, in the real world, a player will drag himself overseas to a club staring at relegation. Not many would want that.

Yep, wood ain't the best, but in the real world, nobody is presenting a credible option who'd likely come here and improve us quickly. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

I’d sign him for the chin alone, gives those extra inches of contact in the box. Small margins in the Prem. 

Not very var friendly though. Imagine being offside cos of your chin. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, tajjuk said:

I noticed you ignored the season when he scored 10 in 24, 14 in 32 and 12 in 33 in your cherry picking of stats to “prove” Woods is crap. Four consecutive seasons of scoring 10 premier league goals or more in a low scoring team. Remind us when Adams has done this, considering you think he’s “not an upgrade in the slightest”

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 3

Just now, woodsaint1 said:

I dont know why we're arguing about Wood. Its highly unlikely Newcastle will let him leave this window.

We aren’t really. It’s amusing how these stats merchants will point to one’s that suit them but ignore ones that dont. Point is valid now, we need someone to come in a make a difference immediately to keep us up. There are only two options that I can see that could do that. Ings and Wood. There are no guarantees of course but both have a decent track record of scoring regularly in the premier league over a period of several season whereas the player were supposedly signing has no track record of scoring regularly anywhere

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Appy said:

Liking the sound of this. We need cover for DM should Lavia get injured and we've an eye for decent scandinavians (bar Forren). The last one we were looking at Rasmus Hojlund ended up joining Atalanta and is doing very well in Serie A

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

'Could' have WP issues, no caps and only been in Serie A this season. Looks a decent player based entirely on this seasons stats.

Thought the Brexit fuck up was supposed to make everything better…that’s going well 🤣 Can’t believe it’s reached having to have a WP to sign a Dane. Regardless, getting someone stronger than Diallo would be a benefit. 

26 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

'Could' have WP issues, no caps and only been in Serie A this season. Looks a decent player based entirely on this seasons stats.

According to transferroom.com GBE calculator, Hjulmand is good for 24 points (15 is a pass). 

He gets 12 points alone just for playing in Serie A due to the quality of the league - 10-14 points is enough to apply for an exemption.

No idea how "legit" these calculators are, but he should be signable.

(Nicolas Jackson gets 27 points, apparently, for what it's worth.)

Edited by qwertyell

7 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I like the sound of this one. Captains his team at 23. 6’1 too so a bit of necessary height.

I like the system we’re currently running but I do feel that Diallo is a weak spot in the team. Coupling that up with the fact that a Lavia injury at the moment would essentially confirm relegation, this is the position I’d want us to pursue the most outside a striker.

His defensive stats (below) compared to the rest of Serie A midfielders are pretty incredible.

Would also perhaps be useful to get somebody in 6 months early as the more negative side of me is already worried at Chelsea seemingly loitering around Lavia, mixed in with Boehly’s incredibly happy trigger finger. I’d guess Rice was their first choice but their inevitable lack of Top 4 will probably see him go to Arsenal and Romeo be their next choice up.

BFE4A0D0-1485-404F-A8BA-6A213C9E6683.jpeg

Agree this guy looks like he might be a good fit for us. Great at snuffing out danger, gets stuck in and has skill on the ball with a good range of passing. Over 6' tall which is another plus.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, charliemiller said:

Beto is by far the best talent including Ings , they have named the price they want which is 30m , so they will take 25m plus add ons , the club should get it done.

Power in the air turns on players shoulders like Broja did , a beast !

Could do a youtube video of me at 63 and people would think I was worth 30m. Christ, remember the Tinman from South America, the club played a video on the bigscreen just after we bought him and he looked like Maradonna and Duncan Ferguson combined, sadly we got Shiela Ferguson

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

seems legit 

5E5219CB-4BCB-43C1-8E4A-C979D0AF5B3B.jpeg

41 minutes ago, egg said:

Confirmation right there that a lot of this 3rd party analysis/stats is utter bollox. 

That will be based off his time in Scotland as he doesn't have enough game time here for it to have made a difference. 

13 hours ago, Francis1947 said:

Just reading the posts again on this thread and particular references to the re-signing of Ings and whether it involves a little bit of nostalgia for some of us.

Please bear in mind that I am an old boy now of 75 years and first attended a Saints match in 1959.

So, real nostalgia for me would be watching againTerry Paine on the right wing and  Johnny Sydenham on the left providing the crosses for Ron Davies to head into the net in front of a packed Dell.....especially evening matches under floodlights. The atmosphere was fantastic. Wonderful memories as a little lad attending every home match with my old Dad. I seem to remember that some teams used to spend the night at the Polygon hotel nearby and walk to the Dell before the match. Remember walking with Ray Wilson one evening when he was playing for Huddersfield and before he was capped by England. Some local kids asked for a pic and the after he stopped to allow them to take one, they pretended that thy didnt know who he was.....and he got very annoyed and grumpy !

Now, that's nostalgia !

January1959, FA Cup third Round. Special train to Manchester. Third division Saints v First Division Manchester City. With the magnificent Bert Trautmann ex German paratrooper and POW in goal . Terry Paine tore Man City defence and full back Cliff Sears apart, Saints won 5-1, Reeves 4 and O'Brien plus Cliff Huxford playing most of the match after pulling a muscle early on - no substitutes in those days. We got back to the Central Station after midnight. George O'Brien shouting " Where's the bloody brass band "

1963, snow from Boxing Day until April, hardly any football played.  George Kirby pushing a pram around Cumberland place then terrifying Peter Grummitt with Saints 0-3 with 13 minutes left drew 3-3 after 1-1 draw away in FA Cup sixth round (QF) then beat First Division Notts Forest I think 5-0 at White Hart Lane in second replay on a neutral ground. Lost 0-1 to a scrappy Denis Law goal at Villa Park in the Semi Final.

All the Saints players used to hang out after training at the old Tudor Coffee Bar at the Junction. Lots more where that came from.

Edited by derry
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

According to transferroom.com GBE calculator, Hjulmand is good for 24 points (15 is a pass). 

He gets 12 points alone just for playing in Serie A due to the quality of the league - 10-14 points is enough to apply for an exemption.

No idea how "legit" these calculators are, but he should be signable.

(Nicolas Jackson gets 27 points, apparently, for what it's worth.)

Fair enough I was well out 😅😅👍