January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

27 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Why is everyone talking about Ings again? Wasn't there reports earlier in the window that we had failed to persuade him to return? 

"Reports" being the key word there I guess....  (i.e. who decides which reports are to be believed and which aren't.....?)

53 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

Can’t, he’s not interested. He’s building new houses and is looking past his footballing career. 

He’s becoming Southampton’s version of Dion Dublin and homes under the hammer. 

He will be fronting a hospital-based, fly-on-the-wall show called 'Ings under the scanner'

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

I do accept that alot of fans here have reservations about signing Ings again for the club.  

Among them are he departed when the club offered him a very good deal and he intimated at the time that he was moving to a ' bigger club with more ambition ' That will undoubtedly rankle with some.  

However , to my mind,we have to be pragmatic now. We are in pretty desperate straits still despite the last couple of results. If we survive this season it will be by the skin of our teeth. 2 points separate 7 clubs.

So, if we can persuade him to come back I would support resigning him. Anyone who goes to the matches regularly can see....I think....that this team has potential. But in my opinion it desperate needs 2 things. Some experience when the going gets tough and a striker that just might score 6 -8 goals in these 18 matches left. Those 6 to 8 goals could just turn losses into draws and draws into an occasional win.

In my opinion, Ings provides both. Experience and goals. Just my 2 pennies worth

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, trousers said:

"Reports" being the key word there I guess....  (i.e. who decides which reports are to be believed and which aren't.....?)

All I've seen is another report saying we would like to sign him, not that he has any intention of signing for us or that we have approached Villa. I expect it would be quite easy for us to check if he fancies it so unlikely to be something that drags on. 

Never go back. Players towards the end of their careers going back to a former club never seems to end well. I don't think Ings returning would be Cristiano Ronaldo bad but I don't see there being a deal which works for everyone here. He was a great servant for the club while we had him and we got a decent wodge of cash. Suspect Villa would ask more than we're willing to pay as would the man himself and that's before concerns over his ability to manage his body as he gets older.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Francis1947 said:

I do accept that alot of fans here have reservations about signing Ings again for the club.  

Among them are he departed when the club offered him a very good deal and he intimated at the time that he was moving to a ' bigger club with more ambition ' That will undoubtedly rankle with some.  

However , to my mind,we have to be pragmatic now. We are in pretty desperate straits still despite the last couple of results. If we survive this season it will be by the skin of our teeth. 2 points separate 7 clubs.

So, if we can persuade him to come back I would support resigning him. Anyone who goes to the matches regularly can see....I think....that this team has potential. But in my opinion it desperate needs 2 things. Some experience when the going gets tough and a striker that just might score 6 -8 goals in these 18 matches left. Those 6 to 8 goals could just turn losses into draws and draws into an occasional win.

In my opinion, Ings provides both. Experience and goals. Just my 2 pennies worth

I thought he'd bought or built a house in the Midlands, and that's him settled now, so I'm not sure his family would want to move again. Maybe a short loan until the summer at best, but I can't see it. 

I’ll be honest….I don’t particularly want Ings back. 
we might get 7 or so games out of him for the rest of the season,but he’ll be crocked with minor injuries I suspect more often than not. 
great for us originally…but I don’t think he’s what we need right now. 
everytime he plays I would be scared to death he’s going to get injured.

we got the best out of him,now move on.  

Edited by saint lard
  • Like 5

Given our situation and that we haven’t been able to replace Ings since he left. I would take him back with no hesitation whatsoever. Semenyo is a new link from the Athletic and it seems Nicolas Jackson could happen too.

Orsic, Ings, Jackson - that’s quite an exciting front 3!

Edited by goodymatt
Typo
  • Like 1

The absence of Moffi from the Athletic article is perhaps another indication that one is dead in the water for us?

Correction: it’s at the end of the article and says unlikely due to Bompey link and that we had previously been knocked back

Edited by goodymatt
Correction
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, saint lard said:

I’ll be honest….I don’t particularly want Ings back. 
we might get 7 or so games out of him for the rest of the season,but he’ll be crocked with minor injuries I suspect more often than not. 
great for us originally…but I don’t think he’s what we need right now. 
everytime he plays I would be scared to death he’s going to get injured.

we got the best out of him,now move on.  

I would have to agree with that. We’re going to need someone better than ‘not wanted at Villa’ to get us out of this mess, particularly with his fitness record.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I would have to agree with that. We’re going to need someone better than ‘not wanted at Villa’ to get us out of this mess, particularly with his fitness record.

Is the reason he is 'not wanted at Villa' fitness related ?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Just glancing through Nicolas Jackson's history in the news and since summer he's been linked with Villa, Newcastle, Everton and US.

Plays both wings and as a centre forward.

Was just looking at him on transfermarkt - they have him playing mainly as a CF for Villareal's first team, with RW as his second position. 3 goals, 4 assists in about 1400 minutes of football (about 15.5 games). His touch looks a bit loose for a winger, but he's very fast and about 6'2. A bit arms and legs everywhere style when running, and his YT highlights seemed to include winning a ton of fouls.

I'd take Jackson and Doku as loans with options until the end of the season and be pretty happy. Jackson as a cut price Aubameyang with JWP/Orsic/Alcaraz providing the ammunition. Then Doku as an impact sub. That amount of raw pace would frighten plenty of our fellow relegation candidates (much the same as we always seem to lose the plot the minute Wolves bring on Traore).

Edited by verlaine1979

54 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Lol at that article by the way. Absolutely nothing to update so just sent out a "Hey, here's a list of people that have been mentioned before, Saints might or might not sign them. Cheers".

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 2

Ok haven’t scrolled back through the posts but yesterday I was told Ings would come back without a doubt, I don’t have much in way of ITKs any more so it’s the only snippet I had.

Funny thing was, I considered posting it but decided against it in the end. 

without scrolling backwards, anything happened on this front? Also, anyone heard the same or similar? 👀

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Looks well outside our budget now, perhaps why we seem to be linked with alternatives such a Oscar Esupinan…

Would you rather sign a Championship striker than sign nobody? We already have Che and Armstrong who would smash that league. I also think Mara would do well there too…

We need to spend more on this position, crucial to our season IMO.

Yep... within reason; BBD for example I reckon could make the step up but the price would have to be right (which it probably wouldn't be). Also for the reason that either they make the step up and save our season or we have a Championship ready striker post relegation alongside AA and Che (if nobody picks him up). (Plus Brereton Diaz is almost a double barrelled name which fits in with our style!)

Hopefully we get better but we only have Che who isn't prolific and is better as a partner, AA who seems to play better playing wide, and Mara who we've only seen glimpses of so far so any good new striker would be a welcome addition.

If we continue playing 4231, with JWP in the more advanced role, I also think we need a new DM to play alongside Lavia.

Edited by SNSUN
  • Like 1

I'd be gobsmacked if anyone didn't want Ings to come back, for any purely footballing reasons.

We're not in a position to be gambling on this position, and Ings is the smallest gamble you can take at this current moment.

According to transfermarkt, he hasn't missed a game due to injury since January 2021. Even if you're a little sceptical of that (as am I, can't say I'm that clued up on Villa), he's only been out of the Villa squad just once this season, and 5 times the season before. That isn't screaming injury prone like people are making out whilst trying to discourage this move. He's averaging a goal every 136 minutes in the league this season.

I'll always be disappointed if he left, but I can't blame him too much with the structure of the club at that point. If he's wanting to come back (not that we know yet, but a few posters seem to have alluded to it already) then we would be absolutely mental not to pursue this.

I absolutely think this signing keeps us up, if it's possible.

• Like 4

Earlier in the month, Southampton were keen on Lorient striker Terem Moffi, but have since had advances knocked back for the 23-year-old. Bournemouth owner Bill Foley has recently enquired a minority stake in Lorient and it is unlikely he would be willing to endorse a sale to one of his club’s rivals for relegation.

6 minutes ago, Weston Saint said:

Earlier in the month, Southampton were keen on Lorient striker Terem Moffi, but have since had advances knocked back for the 23-year-old. Bournemouth owner Bill Foley has recently enquired a minority stake in Lorient and it is unlikely he would be willing to endorse a sale to one of his club’s rivals for relegation.

Let’s see if he goes to West Ham.

7 minutes ago, Weston Saint said:

Cheers. That ends that then. 

Semenyo only scored 8 goals in 31 games last season and 5 in 22 so far this. Not exactly prolific for a 23/24 year old. His strike partners Andreas Wiemann scored 22 in 46 last season and Chris Martin 12 in 44. Semenyo provided quite a few assist for both, but was the lowest scorer of their front three. I guess it's not always about quantity of goals, but whether he has the attributes to score them at the higher level. I've not seen him live, so don't know.

However, if you only saw him against Fulham last season, then you would say he is pretty shit hot. Check out his two goals at 1:45 of this video. I hope our scouts didn't just see him in that game. He set up a goal against Luton last season 

• Like 1

Moffi will go to West Ham. They throw money around very easily. 

The fact we’ve been linked with Semenyo I think indicates the kind of player we’re looking for in the striker department; young, “promising” etc.

Personally I don’t think there’s anything in the Ings rumours, but no doubt we’d all take him back in a heartbeat.

3 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The fact we’ve been linked with Semenyo I think indicates the kind of player we’re looking for in the striker department; young, “promising” etc.

Personally I don’t think there’s anything in the Ings rumours, but no doubt we’d all take him back in a heartbeat.

No thank you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

Is the reason he is 'not wanted at Villa' fitness related ?

Not that I'm aware of. More a case that he doesn't suit their system according to a Villa supporting mate.

All the comments I'm seeing on here about him being past it, too injury prone etc... it's exactly the same guff that a lot of people posted when he signed first time round. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Not that I'm aware of. More a case that he doesn't suit their system according to a Villa supporting mate.

All the comments I'm seeing on here about him being past it, too injury prone etc... it's exactly the same guff that a lot of people posted when he signed first time round. 

Well its a lot worse now

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Does their system exlude 'giving it to the striker who scores goals'?

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

Semenyo only scored 8 goals in 31 games last season and 5 in 22 so far this. Not exactly prolific for a 23/24 year old. His strike partners Andreas Wiemann scored 22 in 46 last season and Chris Martin 12 in 44. Semenyo provided quite a few assist for both, but was the lowest scorer of their front three. I guess it's not always about quantity of goals, but whether he has the attributes to score them at the higher level. I've not seen him live, so don't know.

However, if you only saw him against Fulham last season, then you would say he is pretty shit hot. Check out his two goals at 1:45 of this video. I hope our scouts didn't just see him in that game. He set up a goal against Luton last season 

Choice between him and the one at Hull - I’d go for ghe guy at hull tbh

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The only reason it seems to me some numb nuts want Ings back is because he is familiar. The same fools that booed Mane when he came here.

It certainly shows that they didn't have anything lined up specifically for Jnauary which is disappointing but equally our league position, form and managerial uncertainty and sunsequent change probably aided that.

Ings is quality and proven here, wouldnt have a concern with taking him. However....under Jones we have mostly played with one central striker and that is certainly not Ings best role, he is much better in a pair. Seeing as we see to have settled on a midfield 3 with JWP in the advanced role I am not sure how Ings would fit that. 

Jackson is a wide forward who can play up front but isn't going to suddenly come in and take Adams place and bang in 7 or 8 goals.

Semenyo I don't know much about but he has often been a sub for Bristol City. Might be a player of potential but again he wouldn't come in and threaten Adams' place.

Overall it doesn't scream well organised recruitment to me, these 3 are all very different players.

Personally I think we will end up with a wide forward type, preferably someone who can play from the right.

Edited by Dusic

53 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

But we didn’t know about Semenyo enquiry unless I missed it. I know a few City fans who really rate him, but they don’t think he’d make the step up to Prem immediately (which is what we need)

Thanks for the info.

Do any Championship players signed (and not those coming up in their promoted side) make an immediate impact in the Prem? I'm thinking of the likes of Benrahma, Olise, Sessegnon, Bowen, Jacob Murphy, James Justin, Fabio Carvalho, Lewis-Potter and of course Che and Armstrong? 

11 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

If he doesn't suit a wide striker role or one man through the middle role at villa, he won't suit that here.

On the second point, there was no "guff" from anyone when we signed him. The concern was understandable - he'd had both knees rebuilt and had barely kicked a ball. With hindsight he was a good signing, but most people had genuine reservations when he signed. 

What we don't know is what version of Ings we'd be getting 4 1/2 years after he first signed. Personally, I'd take a punt if he was available. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Choice between him and the one at Hull - I’d go for ghe guy at hull tbh

Semenyo is 5'8". Surprised by that, looking at the Youtube video, but feels out of kilter from Jone's usual strikers, which tend to be pretty big powerful guys.

• Like 1