January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

You are never too old to be educated I guess. Need to download a better dictionary obviously. Anyway basically it’s Chelsea’s way around FFP. Who would have guessed?

Download a dictionary??????????? My Oxford English has been on my bookshelf for forty years . Why should I download one?

• Like 1

Wonder if we might not get a central striker now and instead maybe a wide right attacker.

Not saying its the right thing but logic is that we are playing with one central striker and there is no point signing a no9 type if they are not better than Adams (allround game not just goals) and that will cost a lot, for example Moffi seemingly was our no1 choice and is out of our price range.

We need to add goal threat certainly, but that can come in different forms and is why the Orsic signing is potentially so useful as we totally lack goals from the wide attackers we have.

There really isn't any point in signing a striker for the sake of it who isn't going to be a key player if we could sign a different type of attacker who might be.

Again, not saying this is what I would do but it might be what happens and there is some logic, even more so after Jones' recent comments.

Edited by Dusic

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

West Ham have tabled a £25m bid for Moffi apparently, that should be enough to do it.

Worryingly Everton have also submitted a loan bid for Atalanta striker Duvan Zapatta - who is an absolute beast.

We need to see some concrete links to strikers soon, bit nervous we're going to be where we were on Aug 31st at this rate.

Peak West Ham to sign a £25m striker when your £35m striker doesn’t score.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

You are never too old to be educated I guess. Need to download a better dictionary obviously. Anyway basically it’s Chelsea’s way around FFP. Who would have guessed?

The Price of Football podcast covers various things like this regularly, giving an accessible perspective on how clubs creatively get round various rules.

16 minutes ago, sad saints fan said:

Download a dictionary??????????? My Oxford English has been on my bookshelf for forty years . Why should I download one?

Mine too for a couple of decades. One day I'll actually take it down and use it to....oh, what's the word...  🙂

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson

14 minutes ago, sad saints fan said:

Because you won’t have lots of words in it that common place now. Do you know for example what these mean?

YOLO so be a sick sponcon

Blud dumbphone so janky yeet it 

LARP dat baller 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Wonder if we might not get a central striker now and instead maybe a wide right attacker.

Not saying its the right thing but logic is that we are playing with one central striker and there is no point signing a no9 type if they are not better than Adams (allround game not just goals) and that will cost a lot, for example Moffi seemingly was our no1 choice and is out of our price range.

We need to add goal threat certainly, but that can come in different forms and is why the Orsic signing is potentially so useful as we totally lack goals from the wide attackers we have.

There really isn't any point in signing a striker for the sake of it who isn't going to be a key player if we could sign a different type of attacker who might be.

Again, not saying this is what I would do but it might be what happens and there is some logic, even more so after Jones' recent comments.

Got a feeling that were get Antonio 

If we're going to try and muddle through the rest of the season without signing a centre forward - which I don't think would be an absolute disaster -  then some out of contract options for the summer are; 

Youssoufa Moukoko - Dortmund, highly rated and sought after but only 18 and we have a rep for playing youngsters.

Roberto Firmino - Liverpool, long shot but 31 now and could be good for us for 2 or 3 seasons. 

Ben Brereton Diaz - Blackburn, I know nothing about him really but I know we're linked to him a lot. 

Moussa Dembele  - Lyon, good age at 26, 79 career goals in 220 games. 

Andrea Belotti - Roma, 29 so like Firmino only going to give us a couple of seasons, but 111 goals in 307 games is a very good record for our level. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

If we're going to try and muddle through the rest of the season without signing a centre forward - which I don't think would be an absolute disaster -  then some out of contract options for the summer are; 

Youssoufa Moukoko - Dortmund, highly rated and sought after but only 18 and we have a rep for playing youngsters.

Roberto Firmino - Liverpool, long shot but 31 now and could be good for us for 2 or 3 seasons. 

Ben Brereton Diaz - Blackburn, I know nothing about him really but I know we're linked to him a lot. 

Andrea Belotti - Roma, 29 so like Firmino only going to give us a couple of seasons, but 111 goals in 307 games is a very good record for our level. 

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

• Haha 7

14 minutes ago, saint77 said:

Got a feeling that were get Antonio 

Why? On huge wages and in massive decline.

Sounds like pretty much the opposite of a Saints transfer to me.

Nicolas Jackson has been pushed by Jacob Tanswell since the start of the window, he is the most likely attacking addition IMO.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

And now think about how realistic those targets are… 😅

Half way through the window and I have to say I thought we'd have signed a centre forward by now. I get it's not easy in this window but we all know this should have been addressed last summer so surely it's a priority. Every match we play is going to be tough relying on Adams up front and we need points urgently.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

If we're going to try and muddle through the rest of the season without signing a centre forward - which I don't think would be an absolute disaster -

Even based on a potential impact from our new signings, JWP being more attacking, and NJ's tactics continuing to bed in, you're a bit more confident on that one than me. 🙂

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Yeah, we should go for Mbappe too IMO

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, InvictaSaint said:

There's a related French word - amortisseurs - for car shock absorbers. Makes sense. Cushions the blow, takes the force out of it. Which, if you've spent £90M odd on an unproven kid, is probably quite useful.... 😉 

Same root. To ‘deaden’, reduce to death.

9 hours ago, Appy said:

Yeah, we should go for Mbappe too IMO

Of course. That's exactly the same as suggesting a couple of older players who haven't played as much the last two seasons and won't get a top club offer when their contract runs out, a youngster who wouldn't get the game time at a top 6 Prem club yet, a championship striker and a striker at a middling Ligue 1 club.

10 hours ago, manji said:

We will sign a couple of players. Rasmus said we had a couple of exciting weeks coming up. We have plenty of money put aside which Dragan has increased.

The head of the Sports Republic fan-club speaks...

Hope you are right...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Would be a shame if our top striker target ends up at a relegation rival rather than staying in France.

But appears West Ham going big for him.

As said yesterday, I think we will get a wide forward rather than no9.

Haven't we already signed a quality wide forward in Orsic?

I have a feeling that we're keeping Ings as our plan b.

We want to sign one of these younger strikers eg Beto / Moffi but we're most likely going to be priced out - we'll then move to Ings.

Loan with an obligation to buy with some relegation caveats etc.

I'm not ITK - just heard from a mate who knows people that we're over a barrel due to everyone knowing our desperate need for a striker - the price goes up.

26 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

I have a feeling that we're keeping Ings as our plan b.

We want to sign one of these younger strikers eg Beto / Moffi but we're most likely going to be priced out - we'll then move to Ings.

Loan with an obligation to buy with some relegation caveats etc.

I'm not ITK - just heard from a mate who knows people that we're over a barrel due to everyone knowing our desperate need for a striker - the price goes up.

Not Ings please. He is the past as he found out at Villa.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dellman said:

Not Ings please. He is the past as he found out at Villa.

I saw him come off the bench against tottenham and second half against leeds and I wouldn't say he's passed it. He still made similar runs, and pressed from the front the same as at saints however they weren't really looking for him to pass to as much. If we had him playing off che adams flick ons and ches all round hold up play, he'd easily score a bag full of goals. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SotonianWill said:

Didn't chelsea just have a loan bid rejected?

Interesting that Moyes said of the Wolves link to Antonio:
"We’ve had no offer and no enquiry so I don’t know where that’s sort of grown legs from. Nevertheless Mick’s really important for us. I think he’s got a two-year contract so he’s here for a while.”

While their link to Dawson go the following response:
 “We’ve had an offer from Wolves, we’ve not accepted it. That’s about as much as I can tell you.”

Looks well outside our budget now, perhaps why we seem to be linked with alternatives such a Oscar Esupinan…

Would you rather sign a Championship striker than sign nobody? We already have Che and Armstrong who would smash that league. I also think Mara would do well there too…

We need to spend more on this position, crucial to our season IMO.

• Like 2