January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

i need this high to continue... give us a striker please!

i was so giddy after the win last night, that i realized i hadn't been like that after a Saints match in a long long time. People noticed.. they were like: you are in a good mood, whats up?!

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, saintwbu said:

Didn’t J-Rod have hamstring issues after his ACL, down to over compensating on the other leg? Wonder if it’s quite common after such a big trauma to one part of the body

I know that a piece of the hamstring is the most common type of graft used in an ACL reconstruction so it can cause hamstring issues, though I think Tino’s issue with his other leg. Would be strange to take a graft out of the other leg I think.

I had my ACL done with a patella tendon graft that the surgeon said had a longer recovery but better long term prospects and it’s never given me a moments grief, coming up to 11 years.

As for over compensation I found the opposite to be true - my uninjured leg got much stronger after being on crutches etc and because of the muscle loss my reconstructed leg was more injury prone. Obviously my slapshod rehab a decade ago wasn’t on par with a premier league footballer though.

Just as likely he just went too hard in training I’d say.

• Like 1

Interesting snippet from NJ's pre-match press conference regarding the clubs philosophy on Transfer Windows...

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxtUS-QH11Pr4JTWsshsMp4tTy2lpCqpnl

Suggesting it is their intention to come out of every window stronger, no backwards steps. Sounds like this is something that has been said between them, and would certainly be a change in direction for us.

Proof is in the pudding, but seemed a bold statement to me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Interesting snippet from NJ's pre-match press conference regarding the clubs philosophy on Transfer Windows...

Suggesting it is their intention to come out of every window stronger, no backwards steps. Sounds like this is something that has been said between them, and would certainly be a change in direction for us.

image.gif.dcbc2e2bd348aa51d41134291bf1da6c.gif

18 hours ago, Saint86 said:

He does also have an expected assists (xA) stat of 2 for the season... (high i know) and only 1 assist against that. But it seems unfair to hold him accountable for the finishing of others...

I think that highlights everything you need to know about the bullshit that is xG / xX .  There is a published stat for expected assists which seems highly unfair to hold somone accountable for the actions of others, yet you wank yourself off over it time and time again.

Made up bollocks to keep spotty teenagers and adult nerds happy.

Just watch a match, enjoy the spectacle or not, then moan or rejoice about it afterwards.  Not everything needs to be measured.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I think that highlights everything you need to know about the bullshit that is xG / xX .  There is a published stat for expected assists which seems highly unfair to hold somone accountable for the actions of others, yet you wank yourself off over it time and time again.

Just watch a match, enjoy the spectacle or not, then moan or rejoice about it afterwards.  Not everything needs to be measured.

A kindred spirit.  We need to start a movement.  We should call it ‘Fuck xG You Hipster Wankers’.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

I wouldn't read much into that. 

Lavia will be sold as soon as the Champions League club come in. Definitely not this window but possibly next summer.

We've got a stated intention of buying players in with a planned high sell-on value so don't start kidding yourself that those players aren't going to be sold. They definitely definitely will be.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I wouldn't read much into that. 

Lavia will be sold as soon as the Champions League club come in. Definitely not this window but possibly next summer.

We've got a stated intention of buying players in with a planned high sell-on value so don't start kidding yourself that those players aren't going to be sold. They definitely definitely will be.

You seem to have forgotten the 'Saints way' (well certainly the 'Saintsweb way'), that directs that each and every player that is sold by us, even if it is for millions more than we paid, was definitely 'past his prime' and a complete 'bag of wank, now'.  Thus it can easily be justified that the squad will be much stronger after each window having gotten rid of these players draining cash from the club and stealing a living and replacing them with young, hungry, unpolished diamonds, that are guaranteed to improve.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

XG may or may not be useful but when people get so angry about it, it makes me think this is more about some sort of personal insecurity

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chez said:

Ely is getting a new contract if Jones comments yesterday are anything to go by.

Please no. That said, maybe the delay in getting this completed is because we’re refusing to match his current salary and he’s got to accept a pay cut to extend, reflecting the fact he’s nowhere near as good as we’re paying him. He’s got no chance of getting this salary elsewhere, that’s for sure.

As an averagely paid squad player I still don’t want him but can see that some would. 

• Like 2

Moffi now being linked with Newcastle. Think it will be hard to get him and if we somehow do it will be right near the end of the window.

Interesting comments from Jones that its not necessarily a no9 that we want. 

Ankersen was away yesterday so potentially was at the Lorient game the other day.

56 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

I know it’s not going to happen but Ings still at 5/2 to come back to Saints. Who is still lumping on? Maybe it’s people in hope more than anything else..

There was a rumour he was in town earlier this week meeting with a number of official looking people but I took that to be rubbish. Maybe some people believed it and laid money on the back of it?

If by any chance it is true, I wonder if Villa want it left until after we play them? Totally straw clutching I know 😂

Given Jones’ comments about not necessarily needing a number 9 I think it’s all starting to look very unlikely. Unfortunately.

14 hours ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Football people once called it chances created.

"Chances Created" is binary; it's either a chance or it isn't.

"Expected Assists" (xA) are probabilistic; what is the percentage chance that making this pass to an average player results in that player scoring a goal?

It's like using xG instead of shots taken/shots on target to predict goalscoring; one is a cut-and-dried observation that doesn't have a clear relationship with whether you'll score goals (shot volume alone doesn't matter that much if they're all shots from 30+ yards, quality matters too) while the other adjusts for the quality of the chance.

24 minutes ago, Chez said:

Nicolas Jackson might fit the 'non number 9, but offering pace and power' description.

Yep, that's my guess as well.  There's a bit in the Athletic this morning where it mentions we're still in negotiations over a six month loan and option to buy.  It looks like the easiest deal to do and probably the most affordable and least risk.

Jackson has played up front at times so it could work.  Seems to have a similar pace and dribbling skills to Broja as well as adding a bit of height, although he wouldn't be a classic target man type. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

So much projection and insecurity in one post. You sound like an old man shouting at a tv because he can't work out how to use the remote properly. Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean there is something wrong with it or anyone who does understand and is interested in should be insulted.

The irony of you calling people spotty teenagers when you clearly need to do a lot of growing up yourself. 

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

With Bournemouth interested in Moffi and now having a stake in L’orient does that put them in the driving seat?

If not surely he would choose Newcastle. Sounds like 7 PL teams are after him so not sure why he would choose us sat in dead last.

Also if we have had a £20m bid rejected, if we increase surely we are overpaying, survival would be worth it of course but not sure we will do that?

Edited by goodymatt
Typo

I saw a few tweets from the french media, basically saying that every January there is a forward that plays in Ligue 1 that half the premier league are after, and this year it's Moffi. Also said the money being discussed is way more than what it should be but it's being pushed up by a bidding war essentially. 

I can't see us signing him if everyone else is involved, when did we last win a transfer race like this ?

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, chiknsmack said:

"Chances Created" is binary; it's either a chance or it isn't.

"Expected Assists" (xA) are probabilistic; what is the percentage chance that making this pass to an average player results in that player scoring a goal?

It's like using xG instead of shots taken/shots on target to predict goalscoring; one is a cut-and-dried observation that doesn't have a clear relationship with whether you'll score goals (shot volume alone doesn't matter that much if they're all shots from 30+ yards, quality matters too) while the other adjusts for the quality of the chance.

So kind of like good chance or half chance? 

Thanks for the explanation highlighting the over complication of something really quite straightforward. 

For me, football is art, not maths. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

So much projection and insecurity in one post. You sound like an old man shouting at a tv because he can't work out how to use the remote properly. Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean there is something wrong with it or anyone who does understand and is interested in should be insulted.

The irony of you calling people spotty teenagers when you clearly need to do a lot of growing up yourself. 

When it comes to xG there’s nothing to understand. It’s idiotic.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

Ageist insulter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

Isn't that what you're supposed to do with Alexa?

• Haha 1

Anyone know how Lemina has been for Nice?  We all know there's a proper player there when he can be bothered.  Looking on wiki he's played 36 times for Nice, which suggests he's spent time out of the team, albeit whether that injury or otherwise I don't know.

I did laugh at his wiki page, which describes him as a dynamic, hard-working midfielder!  Must have been written by his mum!!

4 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Anyone know how Lemina has been for Nice?  We all know there's a proper player there when he can be bothered.  Looking on wiki he's played 36 times for Nice, which suggests he's spent time out of the team, albeit whether that injury or otherwise I don't know.

I did laugh at his wiki page, which describes him as a dynamic, hard-working midfielder!  Must have been written by his mum!!

46 apps, 2 goals, 0 assists. So classic Mario. 

58 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

He didn’t start against City and I think that’s one of the reasons that we played so well.

Just bin the arm waving part time player.Never inspires, always passes the problem. Terrible player lacks composure in front of goal aswell. Mind you so does Chey..................................ops hit another goalie..........

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

He s played great for Nice. Saw him live watching PSG Nice this season. He was the standout player in that game.

Tbh that doesn’t surprise me, I can remember Man United at home where he made Pogba look like a Sunday league player. It was the games against the lesser teams where he couldn’t be arsed it seemed.

2 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Not convinced Newcastle are in the mix with their current striking options of Wilson, Isak and Wood. Unless they are seriously thinking of moving Wood on. All of these clubs have multiple targets and will have likely moved on already - Leicester signing Gonzalez instead it seems. Moffi is not worth more than 25 million so if his agent/club are trying to create a bidding war then we should definitely move on and fast. Ideally if we could get somebody in before Villa at home next weekend, but I wouldnt be hopeful

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Ely is getting a new contract if Jones comments yesterday are anything to go by.

I see no problem with giving him a new contract he is a decent squad player, shouldn’t be starting every week but definitely worth keeping around we will never have a squad full of Mane’s and we need some consistent decent experienced pro’s around!

• Like 3