January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I saw a few tweets from the french media, basically saying that every January there is a forward that plays in Ligue 1 that half the premier league are after, and this year it's Moffi. Also said the money being discussed is way more than what it should be but it's being pushed up by a bidding war essentially. 

I can't see us signing him if everyone else is involved, when did we last win a transfer race like this ?

Kevin Keegan?

1 hour ago, saintwbu said:

Tbh that doesn’t surprise me, I can remember Man United at home where he made Pogba look like a Sunday league player. It was the games against the lesser teams where he couldn’t be arsed it seemed.

Such a frustrating player! Somewhere in there is a top draw player sadly it seems trapped most of the time!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

I see no problem with giving him a new contract he is a decent squad player, shouldn’t be starting every week but definitely worth keeping around we will never have a squad full of Mane’s and we need some consistent decent experienced pro’s around!

I can see the thinking behind it but personally I wouldn't give him a new contract.  He's been poor most of the time he's been here and recently got to the heights of sometimes average.  I don't think he does anything particularly well and lacks any kind of pace.  His passing isn't very good and attacks frequently break down because of it.  TBF he seems a good lad and I'm sure he tries hard but if we give him a new contract then it's as a squad player only and I'd rather take a punt on either a youth team fringe player or someone else. 

I can imagine getting rid of him wouldn't be easy if we get to a situation where we want to freshen the squad up either. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chewy said:

There was a rumour he was in town earlier this week meeting with a number of official looking people but I took that to be rubbish. Maybe some people believed it and laid money on the back of it?

If by any chance it is true, I wonder if Villa want it left until after we play them? Totally straw clutching I know 😂

Given Jones’ comments about not necessarily needing a number 9 I think it’s all starting to look very unlikely. Unfortunately.

Probably taking him around to show him the area to see if its his type of area. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

I see no problem with giving him a new contract he is a decent squad player, shouldn’t be starting every week but definitely worth keeping around we will never have a squad full of Mane’s and we need some consistent decent experienced pro’s around!

Fair point, but by retaining a `squad player', it could prevent us bringing someone in that `might' turn out to be of Mane's quality. The flip side to that coin is a) you have to pay another transfer fee b) the incoming guy may be worse, not better.

For me, if a player reaches the end of his contract, that creates the opportunity to offload and reboot should the player not be a success, improving and an important part of the first team.

Moi is a tricky player to evaluate. I think I have sat on the fence with him throughout his Saints career. I was unwilling to slate him, but also not willing to back him wholeheartedly. He has the touch and the ability to play at this level, all levels in fact, however, does he do enough or make an impact in enough games? There has been a few games when his work rate has been applauded, a few when he has scored and created things, but there hasn't been many when he really run a game. Very few when he has stood out. He can pick a pass, but most of the time he just keeps the ball moving, which is OK, but if you are going to play in an attacking role behind the strikers, then I expect dribbles, shooting and or passes that unlock defences. He's the sort that could easily play in a top side and look very comfortable, but he's not the kind of player that elevates our game if others around him are struggling, which they often are. 

I'm still on the fence. Jones' word "excellent" is not one I would use, I should point out. Looks like he's here to stay though. I doubt any other Prem side will come in for him, and that is very telling. A Prem player available on a free transfer...why wouldn't Spurs or others take him? Because they don't rate him, even as a squad player. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dusic said:

Moffi now being linked with Newcastle. Think it will be hard to get him and if we somehow do it will be right near the end of the window.

That doesn't half feel like a lazy bullshit link to me. Newcastle have more than stabilised. I'd of thought they were looking at `top table' players now, as per Isak.  

4 hours ago, Dusic said:

Moffi now being linked with Newcastle. Think it will be hard to get him and if we somehow do it will be right near the end of the window.

Interesting comments from Jones that its not necessarily a no9 that we want. 

Ankersen was away yesterday so potentially was at the Lorient game the other day.

Cheeky Gakpo deal back on? ;) 

Tanswell has mentioned Jackson on more than one occasion... He's versatile.  Apparently his best position is left-wing. (We have a few of those).

Edited by SuperSAINT

18 minutes ago, Chez said:

Fair point, but by retaining a `squad player', it could prevent us bringing someone in that `might' turn out to be of Mane's quality. The flip side to that coin is a) you have to pay another transfer fee b) the incoming guy may be worse, not better.

For me, if a player reaches the end of his contract, that creates the opportunity to offload and reboot should the player not be a success, improving and an important part of the first team.

Moi is a tricky player to evaluate. I think I have sat on the fence with him throughout his Saints career. I was unwilling to slate him, but also not willing to back him wholeheartedly. He has the touch and the ability to play at this level, all levels in fact, however, does he do enough or make an impact in enough games? There has been a few games when his work rate has been applauded, a few when he has scored and created things, but there hasn't been many when he really run a game. Very few when he has stood out. He can pick a pass, but most of the time he just keeps the ball moving, which is OK, but if you are going to play in an attacking role behind the strikers, then I expect dribbles, shooting and or passes that unlock defences. He's the sort that could easily play in a top side and look very comfortable, but he's not the kind of player that elevates our game if others around him are struggling, which they often are. 

I'm still on the fence. Jones' word "excellent" is not one I would use, I should point out. Looks like he's here to stay though. I doubt any other Prem side will come in for him, and that is very telling. A Prem player available on a free transfer...why wouldn't Spurs or others take him? Because they don't rate him, even as a squad player. 

Moi is a textbook ‘manager’s player’. Does what he’s told, will play anywhere, doesn’t moan, works hard, never causes any trouble. They all have one who then probably gets more game time than they should as the result of being a ‘model pro’, which blinds the manager to their limitations. Paul Telfer and Jermaine Wright spring to mind. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Chewy said:

Please no. That said, maybe the delay in getting this completed is because we’re refusing to match his current salary and he’s got to accept a pay cut to extend, reflecting the fact he’s nowhere near as good as we’re paying him. He’s got no chance of getting this salary elsewhere, that’s for sure.

As an averagely paid squad player I still don’t want him but can see that some would. 

That's perhaps hopeful thinking.

Saints either want him or they don't. As they do, and Jones has just said as such, Moi will then want a wage rise. His agent will point out that we will need to spend, say, £15m on a new guy, so as we get him on a free, they'd like a rise. His agent perhaps will also argue, that when he signed, he was down the pecking order, but now he is a `regular', thus deserves a rise.

The delay possibly will be because, last summer both he and the club will have been uncertain or how much he will feature in 2023, that seemed to have been resolved under Ralph and negotiations seemed to have started, but then the change of manager halted proceedings.

We have a few winters, but I wouldn’t class them as very good.

Djenepo clearly isn’t good enough, yes he played well the other night but he isn’t good enough.
Stu’s legs sound like they’ve gone, albeit we traditionally play better with him in the side.
Elyounoussi is what I’d call a standard squad player.
Edozie is very young and needs time to develop and bulk up.

We still need a couple of wingers, and a striker. The lack of striker links are worrying.

12 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We still need a couple of wingers, and a striker. The lack of striker links are worrying.

I reckon it might just be Jackson that comes in and possibly a full back, both on loan. The way Jones made a point about us not necessarily bringing in a new number 9 suggests we are not bringing in a new number 9. We shall see.

12 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We have a few winters, but I wouldn’t class them as very good.

Djenepo clearly isn’t good enough, yes he played well the other night but he isn’t good enough.
Stu’s legs sound like they’ve gone, albeit we traditionally play better with him in the side.
Elyounoussi is what I’d call a standard squad player.
Edozie is very young and needs time to develop and bulk up.

Yeah, we've got Edozie, Djenepo, Orsic and Aribo all likely to be around for a bit.  Might even get another in (Jackson) so in terms of numbers we're pretty well stocked especially when you consider that both Armstrongs and Alcaraz can play the position as well.

Extending Elyounoussi's contract only works if we think he is either better than those listed above, or worth it for squad cover as a third midfielder.  He's doing a job in midfield but I think we can afford to live without him even if we didn't bring anyone else in. 

Even in midfield we've got Lavia, JWP, Alcaraz, Diallo, S Armstrong and AMN.  You can argue that the quality could be improved but you don't do that by extending Elyounoussi's contract. 

• Like 1

https://as.com/ciclismo/roig-negueroles-no-puedes-echar-a-un-profesional-a-los-diez-dias-de-apostar-por-el-n/

Villarreal CEO
Danjuma and Jackson, possible offers: “Right now we do not have a formal offer, it is true that there are rumours and there is interest, but I think that the market is beginning to move now and we will see how it evolves. I don't know what will happen in the next few weeks."

Players who want to leave: “No player has asked me to leave the club, I think that everyone is comfortable here. The truth is that if it has ever happened, it has always been because it can improve to earn more money for a club or go to a more important club.

3 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah, we've got Edozie, Djenepo, Orsic and Aribo all likely to be around for a bit.  Might even get another in (Jackson) so in terms of numbers we're pretty well stocked especially when you consider that both Armstrongs and Alcaraz can play the position as well.

Extending Elyounoussi's contract only works if we think he is either better than those listed above, or worth it for squad cover as a third midfielder.  He's doing a job in midfield but I think we can afford to live without him even if we didn't bring anyone else in. 

Even in midfield we've got Lavia, JWP, Alcaraz, Diallo, S Armstrong and AMN.  You can argue that the quality could be improved but you don't do that by extending Elyounoussi's contract. 

The Fulham game, when he played alongside JWP in the middle, and did a pretty good job, will have made Jones' mind up I suspect.

Udinese have bid €9m for FC Cincinnati Brazilian striker Brenner Souza da Silva. If that deal goes through, maybe it paves the way for Beto to depart. I'm clutching at straws a bit as can't see us forking out €30m for Beto.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

The Fulham game, when he played alongside JWP in the middle, and did a pretty good job, will have made Jones' mind up I suspect.

Elyounoussi is a tactically aware player who can play multiple positions, has high availability and seems like a good pro.

Managers like these kind of players. Squads need these kind of players.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, saintwbu said:

Tbh that doesn’t surprise me, I can remember Man United at home where he made Pogba look like a Sunday league player. It was the games against the lesser teams where he couldn’t be arsed it seemed.

Hmm, Chelsea in the FA Cup semi final he was an embarrassment. Funny you mention Pogba as he's exactly like him, when he wants to be can be great but is he worth having around for the 3-4 games a season when he can be arsed to turn it on. I'd say no.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Hmm, Chelsea in the FA Cup semi final he was an embarrassment. Funny you mention Pogba as he's exactly like him, when he wants to be can be great but is he worth having around for the 3-4 games a season when he can be arsed to turn it on. I'd say no.

I bet the Wolves fans can't wait to see the first "TonicLikeLeminade" hashtag mentioned alongside their name...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Elyounoussi is a tactically aware player who can play multiple positions, has high availability and seems like a good pro.

Managers like these kind of players. Squads need these kind of players.

Was v effective in 2nd half when bringing ball out of our half, beating players and holding the ball. Intelligent game management. 

Much safer to bring on in those circumstances than Stu, would may have made a decent chance but would likely give up possession and cause chances for Man City. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

I bet the Wolves fans can't wait to see the first "TonicLikeLeminade" hashtag mentioned alongside their name...

i'd forget about that, properly cringeworthy, almost as embarrassing as when he posted a video on his instagram of his skills, what with him being a class baller and all that and it was someone else. Redmond wasn't it?

3 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Completely and utterly out of the blue. A day I will remember until the day I die!

Me too. Vaguely remember about it coming from Lawrie Mac being the same plane as him, and just asking him. Could be wrong mind.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I reckon it might just be Jackson that comes in and possibly a full back, both on loan. The way Jones made a point about us not necessarily bringing in a new number 9 suggests we are not bringing in a new number 9. We shall see.

That comment and his structure and tactics for the City game imply some pretty fundamental (and exciting) changes in approach. As much as I like Adams for his commitment, physicality and hold-up play, he's certainly not a good striker, and I think we looked better without him as a target man. His absence removed the option of whacking it up to him, and then trying (not very successfully) to get up there to give him layoff options. Instead, we worked the ball up with fast passing and great off-the-ball movement. Once up there, we were well-placed to apply an effective press - and quick enough to drop back when that was the right option.

This package increases the chances that goals will come from the midfielders (a much upgraded area already), which - in turn - lessens the pressure on finding a "striker", although I'd still love to see one arrive. I don't see him coming back, but Ings could really prosper in that kind of set-up.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Udinese have bid €9m for FC Cincinnati Brazilian striker Brenner Souza da Silva. If that deal goes through, maybe it paves the way for Beto to depart. I'm clutching at straws a bit as can't see us forking out €30m for Beto.

The telegraph said recently that Beto is one of our primary striker targets.

The stuff about Keegan signing is always lovely nostalgia. 29, height of his fame,  England skipper and reigning European footballer of the year when he signed for Saints. The first true English superstar player. Seemed like lunacy to even suggest it at that time, and impossible to think something like that could ever happen again. Salad days for Saints fans! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

The stuff about Keegan signing is always lovely nostalgia. 29, height of his fame,  England skipper and reigning European footballer of the year when he signed for Saints. The first true English superstar player. Seemed like lunacy to even suggest it at that time, and impossible to think something like that could ever happen again. Salad days for Saints fans! 

It was exciting at the time but he went as suddenly as he came. Yes it gave the whole Club a boost and the sort of publicity that McM thrives on. Keegan was like a comet a shooting star. Come, Flash, Gone . Good memories but I always preferred Mike C

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

The signing of Kevin Keegan is a poignant reminder of those wonderful days for me.

My Father and I both were Pompey born but when he came out of the Royal Navy in 1959 after 22 years service, including Atlantic and Artic convoys, he poined Foster Wheelers as an engineer when Fawley Refinery was being developed. He joined the Navy as a 15 year old boy sailor and left as a Chief Petty Officer.

We were both Pompey fans but the family relocated to the Waterside in 1959 and after a short period of time rather reluctantly started to go and see Sainst matches at the Dell. They were in the old Second Division at the time. Days of Georgie O'brien and Derek Reeves !

We soon became avid fans and went to almost all home matches and many away ones for the next 20 years.

When Keegan signed I was working on night shifts in a Grid Control Room. And my Father was so excited....which was most unlike him as like many of his generation rarely showed any emotion..... by the news that he phoned me in the Ops Room to give me the startling news. He and I could not believe it !

Sadly by then he had contracted asbestosis by being an Engineer in the Navy and working his entire service life in Warship engine rooms where asbestos was used extensively. He then was exposed to the terrible stuff in the Refinery.

He sadly died six months later....so a very poignant time for me  

• Like 12

7 hours ago, SW5 SAINT said:

I can’t remember a bidding war for Keegan, it came out of the blue….

I think today's scenario would be..................we've secretly signed................ Jude Bellingham,such as the impact of us signing Keegan was.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Team bottom of the league doesn’t look to buy a striker despite lack of goals - one hell of a risk!

I sincerely hope that suggestions we aren't getting one are a smoke screen. We simply cannot go into a relegation battle with only Adams, Mara and Armstrong as recognised strikers. If we do and survive then Jones might just be the miracle worker he claimed not to be.

• Like 2

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not impressed to be honest. Watched the Japan games at the World Cup. Another hard worker with not much of a goal touch.

Great chance to increase shirt sales in the far east though, stand by for a plain red shirt next season.

• Haha 2

The latest rumour that Nice have bid €18m for Moffi and he’d prefer to stay in France is an odd one. Especially if we had £20m rejected. I hope this is all agent chat and he’s coming to save the day. Or alternatively that we have another (like Beto) being worked on in the background.

Maeda is not the main striker we crave.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

The latest rumour that Nice have bid €18m for Moffi and he’d prefer to stay in France is an odd one. Especially if we had £20m rejected. I hope this is all agent chat and he’s coming to save the day. Or alternatively that we have another (like Beto) being worked on in the background.

Maeda is not the main striker we crave.

The reports were that we had a €15m bid rejected, not €20m. Hence nice trying €18m. But who knows if any of that is true. 

20 minutes ago, Chez said:

The reports were that we had a €15m bid rejected, not €20m. Hence nice trying €18m. But who knows if any of that is true. 

Sky reported earlier £20m bid rejected but admittedly they aren’t a decent source these days. Still waiting for those 2 medicals the other day 😂