January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Looks well outside our budget now, perhaps why we seem to be linked with alternatives such a Oscar Esupinan…

Would you rather sign a Championship striker than sign nobody? We already have Che and Armstrong who would smash that league. I also think Mara would do well there too…

We need to spend more on this position, crucial to our season IMO.

I think he could work. Has the physicality we need. And can score.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Looks well outside our budget now, perhaps why we seem to be linked with alternatives such a Oscar Esupinan…

Would you rather sign a Championship striker than sign nobody? We already have Che and Armstrong who would smash that league. I also think Mara would do well there too…

We need to spend more on this position, crucial to our season IMO.

I suppose we’re in an odd place, we’re bottom of the table so it immediately makes our negotiating position difficult, any top level proven striker is unlikely to want to come here without significant recompense and likely break clauses in the contract, as suggested too just agreeing a fee is probably more difficult too as clubs know our position 

This is why we needed to sort this is the summer and Semmens blase about not overspending in that window has come back to bite him

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Both sides that would pay higher wages than us, I think. Although Everton are FFP hamstrung.

Everton's wage bill for 20/21 was £183m, so considerably more than us. Hard to say what budget Forest are working to, but I'd of thought we would have similar `paying power', maybe less of a larger percentage of income (than ours) is spent on transfer fees.

• Like 1

Ings would make this transfer window a perfect one, a CDM would be greedy. 

We’d stay up comfortably with Ings back scoring goals from nothing.

I don’t see why West Ham/Everton would go for somebody other than Ings if he’s available though.

• Like 2

Not sure Moffi is necessarily out of budget but I reckon his value has hit more than we are willing to pay for him. £30 million for a guy with 32 in 83 in the French league where it's very difficult to assess quality, I think that is quite a gamble at that sort of money. 

Just on Ings btw, whilst his time at Villa has not been great, he has 6 goals in the PL this season from just 819 minutes, which is a goal every 136 minutes, so basically 2 in 3. And until very recently that has been for a poor Villa side that was struggling. 

If the fee/wages were right I wouldn't be against it, he should fit in well, brings experience, already knows many of the players, used to the league etc. Villa I presume looking for a permanent move rather than a loan, but wouldn't pay them more than about £15 million and he can't expect the wage we offered him before he left. Depends how much humility he has I reckon. 

• Like 2

Might be one where we failed early in the window but things can change as deadline day approaches. He likes to sign for us on deadline day IIRC. I’m sure Villa’s activity would give us a clue, they won’t be getting rid of Danny without a replacement.

Looks like he’s 3rd choice in Emery’s system behind Watkins and Bailey. Danny would be first choice king of the scummers here.

• Like 2

Just sifting through the transfer news for Saints that is out there, here is a summary:

Name

Club

Position

Terem Moffi

Lorient (France)

Striker

Daizen Maeda

Celtic

Striker

Nicolas Jackson

Villareal

Striker

Danny Ings

Aston Villa

Striker

Mystery Striker(!)

?

Striker

Beto

Udinese

Striker

Oscar Estupinan

Hull City

Striker

Jérémy Doku

Rennes (France)

Winger

Kian Breckin

Man City

Winger

Carlos Borges

Man City

Winger

Rory MacLeod

Dundee Utd

Winger

Michael Keane

Everton

CB

James Bree

Luton Town

RB

Rick Karsdorp

Roma

RB

There may be a couple I have missed. For example, I seem to remember theer being another full-back that we were linked to earlier on, but I can't find the details.

Edited by SaintJackoInHurworth
Code not working so pasted table instead!
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Would be over the moon if we got Ings back, but would equally be absolutely gutted if we let him go to another team around us, as he could really be the difference in the right system.

Ings reportedly "not keen" on Everton  https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/danny-ings-aston-villa-everton-25985840

4 minutes ago, waylander said:

Not surprised - I know they’ll bleat on about being a ‘bigger club’ etc, but they’re a mess, we’re close to his home, and he used to play for Liverpool. There’s no way they should be getting him ahead of us, if we want him.

If Ings is available it's a no brainer and he'll likely be cheaper than an untried entity from Europe or the Championship. 

He was the main reason we were so successful during project restart and was the instigator of our successful pressing which by the looks of things is what NJ is trying to integrate into the squad.

Yes he is 30 and his injury record is poor but if he keeps us up this season it's a cheap price to pay for retaining our premier league status.

3 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

But if, as article says, a factor in that is that he's just had a new house built near Villa, that would imply he'd also not be keen to come back here.

Pinch of salt required I feel. Its not a quote from Danny Ings, it’s from Alex Crook, and we all know how reliable he is.  The quote is: “. I was told he wasn’t particularly keen on joining an Everton or a Wolves.”. Which, even if true, suggests he’d prefer / only want to move for a side higher up in the league.  Saints may be a little more a draw than those just due to family, who knows. But I think it was reported that Ings is on around £120k a week wages at Villa, so that’ll be a factor too.

Can't see Ings wanting to come back. Too much for the ego. Would be good, but think we should probably invest more time in the Hull chappie - probably more efficient use of energy and less chance of disappointment. We are a 'Wolves or an Everton', after all. Perhaps Liverpool might offer him a lifeline... (joking)

17 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

But if, as article says, a factor in that is that he's just had a new house built near Villa, that would imply he'd also not be keen to come back here.

The new house thing seems odd, new house on a three year contract? It would take that long from land purchase to getting handed the keys surely?

Ings’ ego wouldn’t allow him to come back here. Basically admitting the move he stamped his feet for failed.

I can’t stand the prick anyway. Watching him pretty much down tools on us to try and force his Spurs move and then blaming our stature, rather than his attitude, for failing to make the England squad… F*** him.

We don’t need lads like him and he’d spend half of it injured anyway. 

• Like 1

Completely agree that his ego wouldn’t allow him to come back here and admit he wasn’t good enough for that move.

Would take him a heartbeat however. If he’s £10-15m, he has a better chance of keeping us up than most, especially with the lack of time needed to adapt unlike somebody such as Moffi or Beto.

Never saw the Alfie House link, but not sure it’s worth this much conversation just based off a loose link by Crook.