Saints 1-1 West Ham - Match Thread

Mr X

On 12/10/2022 at 11:16, Pamplemousse said:

Hopefully the League Cup against Sheff Wed is what he means...

To be fair none of the other strikers have a clue how to go about scoring goals and generally run around like headless chickens so why not give Theo a chance. He might surprise everyone and if not what's the loss. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

40 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Bringing a couple of neutral friends with me for this one - I think it's because they know I'm likely to have a full on meltdown if we lose again

Likewise, got a few mates who are West Ham fans who are going so making a bit of a day of it. 

They reckon there are loads of West Ham fans in home areas. 

I didn’t realize until I looked, moments ago, that palace play Leicester and forest play wolves. With Everton away to Spurs this really has to be maximum points for us. Chance to move away from at least some of those behind us and gain on the ones slightly ahead.

Suddenly tomorrow seems way, way more crucial than I had thought 

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Likewise, got a few mates who are West Ham fans who are going so making a bit of a day of it. 

And the club will turn a blind eye to that but throw the book at any saints fans standing up 

we spend ages playing 3 centre backs with valery and then we buy caleta car who could play in the middle of a 3 with kechup and salisu who have pace to burn either side,in my oppinion we have the ideal players to play this way and give the wing backs every chance to get forward and then our celebrated coach reverts to a flat back 4.We are a shambles at the moment top to bottom and recently have lost to the shi**est teams in the league unless we can improve we are certainties for the drop,please saints put this coach out of his misery(and ours)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Agreed. If we lose because Baz stays rooted to his line for a cross, KWP loses his man and Adams missed an open goal from 4 yards, what do you expect a new manager to do about that?

Perhaps motivate the players to give that bit more, coach or give them the confidence to stick with their man/claim that cross/finish. 

Too easy to make excuses. He's a busted flush. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

We lose tomorrow and that’s me done with Ralph.

That's pretty much how most people are feeling I would have thought, at the very least I wanna see some fire in the players and some bottle.... enough to show that they can survive a relegation battle 

• Like 1

For those of us who grew up in an era before the phrase " must win " became popular,  and grew to accept the ridiculousness of it....

at this point I ought to say..... this is a " must win " ...simply because the whole team morale is suffering badly. 

We have lost too many games in the last month - without scoring any goals  (OK we got one v. Everton) but it's wrong to blame our defence 

when the so-called strikers can find the net - whether in the sunshine, or with spotlights in the dark.

We have to fight, and score and start winning PDQ.    Wham are a typical side we regularly struggle to beat , and despite their Euro successes 

they are also fighting to keep their heads above water in the Prem.   This is the first of three games in a week that are all critical for our survival,  

and IMHO  we need a minimum  3 points to stay afloat, and on paper this game is the best chance of a win. 

2 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Depends on the game 

I would imagine there is a plan in place already. When it happens depends on the owners. Stick the new manager for the games before World Cup or give him time over the break to sort the team.

• Like 1

Ralph always seems to do the bare bare minimum to stop them pulling the trigger... So it wouldn't surprise me if we Scape a 2-1 win and then revert back to losing the next three games plus.... He seems to have more lives than a cat playing with traffic 

3 hours ago, egg said:

Perhaps motivate the players to give that bit more, coach or give them the confidence to stick with their man/claim that cross/finish. 

Too easy to make excuses. He's a busted flush. 

No amount of confidence or motivation is going to make Che score that chance against Wolves. He could literally have licked the ball as it was dropping down and it would have diverted across the line, no management or coaching can mitigate for that. Likewise Baz is a young keeper and PL debutant, there are going to be many more mistakes along the way. Klopp couldn’t stop Karius and Mignolet from making errors at Liverpool and neither will Ralph, nor any other manager, do the same for our keepers.

45 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

No amount of confidence or motivation is going to make Che score that chance against Wolves. He could literally have licked the ball as it was dropping down and it would have diverted across the line, no management or coaching can mitigate for that. Likewise Baz is a young keeper and PL debutant, there are going to be many more mistakes along the way. Klopp couldn’t stop Karius and Mignolet from making errors at Liverpool and neither will Ralph, nor any other manager, do the same for our keepers.

That doesn’t excuse his odd selections, tactics and substitutions every week.  Or the fact that it looks to me like the players have had enough of him.  I certainly have.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

To be fair none of the other strikers have a clue how to go about scoring goals and generally run around like headless chickens so why not give Theo a chance. He might surprise everyone and if not what's the loss. 

I don’t even think he has the capability to run around like a headless anything. If it was a matter of lurking in the box and waiting for a chance he might do something, but we rarely create anything in the box, if we did our incumbent strikers may get a few more.

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I think you underestimate the importance of confidence, ditto motivation.

Regardless, I think you're wrong to believe that Ralph needs time and/or that he can turn things around. It just ain't going to happen. Get him gone, and get some new energy and ideas onto the training pitch. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

it looks to me like the players have had enough of him. 

Regardless of what the players think of him they should always be giving the obligatory 110%, even if they are mostly dog shit. They're payed handsomely to do a job and their opinion of the manager shouldn't come into it. If this is the case then shame on them.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, egg said:

Regardless, I think you're wrong to believe that Ralph needs time and/or that he can turn things around. It just ain't going to happen. Get him gone, and get some new energy and ideas onto the training pitch. 

This is how I feel now. Was always in he support RH through thick and thin but now I see him as a busted flush and we will never go any further with him at the helm. Pity but there you go.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Regardless of what the players think of him they should always be giving the obligatory 110%, even if they are mostly dog shit. They're payed handsomely to do a job and their opinion of the manager shouldn't come into it. If this is the case then shame on them.

That’s largely true, however he seems to set them up to fail at times which must be very demotivating. 

• Like 1

I’d love us to win this, yes it would paper over the cracks but there’s a dark cloud above the club at the minute that needs lifting. If Ralph had gone after the City game we might have had a bit of that new manager bounce, as it is I fully expect another away win, and I hope the St Mary’s crowd actually find their voice to show their displeasure should we lose instead of meekly heading for the exits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

That doesn’t excuse his odd selections, tactics and substitutions every week.  Or the fact that it looks to me like the players have had enough of him.  I certainly have.

We weren’t talking about that, we were talking about hypothetically losing due to individual errors and how we’d judge the teams performance in spite of that.

1 hour ago, egg said:

If Ralph is that bad that he makes a 20 year just give up on his whole career then I agree, sack him. However I don’t think that’s realistic. Confidence will come with experience for Baz. Adams I don’t think lacks it as such, he just has issues with concentration and is prone to absolute brain farts. Neither is anything to do with Ralph.

• Like 1

I'd personally like to see us play a 4-3-3, its been pretty clear that we could do with an extra man in the midfield as Diallo and JWP are an awful partnership and they lose the midfield battle 100% of the time. 

Unfortunately Ralph will start with the same dogshit 4-2-2-2 formation. Got a feeling Walcott might make an appearance. 

2-0 West Ham. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

If we lose tomorrow, the atmosphere at St Mary’s and on here will be utterly toxic…..

Does feel like a pivotal week in the season. Now in Bottom 3, terrible form, if we don’t pick up at least one win this week not only will Ralph have a worse record than Pellegrino and Hughes we could be a few points behind 4th bottom. It’s a long way back when wins don’t come round very often 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Wouldn't surprise me, not sold out, so easy enough to get a ticket. Although when I got my window to get extra seats, most of the Northam was already gone

This game on paper I really struggle to see past a west ham win.. so much so think I will have to bet on them at the price …

we look a bit of a mess and have hardly any goal threat  might as well try make some money out of it..

although had similar feeling when we played them last Xmas and we somehow won that and started our run of form :)

4 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Hoping KWP starts to ramp up his performances from here to the WC. Good chance if he plays out of his skin he makes the squad. Pivotal player for us when he is on song.

We’d have to change the way we play for him to ramp up, he’s getting hopelessly exposed by lack of midfield cover currently. 

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 West Ham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic