Saints 1-1 West Ham - Match Thread

Mr X

10 hours ago, bpsaint said:

I’d love us to win this, yes it would paper over the cracks but there’s a dark cloud above the club at the minute that needs lifting. If Ralph had gone after the City game we might have had a bit of that new manager bounce, as it is I fully expect another away win, and I hope the St Mary’s crowd actually find their voice to show their displeasure should we lose instead of meekly heading for the exits.

I recall a few seasons ago, the the fans were getting very angry during in of Ralph’s first very bad runs, must have been pre covid, after a particularly bad showing everyone was set to voice their anger at the end and they turned the music up so loud it drowned everything out. 

8 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Watched all the other games today and what stood out is just how much slower we play than the others. Also how much more off the ball movement other teams players do.

We're so easy to play. Can't see it being any different tomorrow. 0-3.

Totally agree about our lack of movement and pedestrian style of play. We'd be good in this walking football.

6 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Hoping KWP starts to ramp up his performances from here to the WC. Good chance if he plays out of his skin he makes the squad. Pivotal player for us when he is on song.

He had one bad game in a shit team with a shit manager he’s consistently been our best player for 2 years so he doesn’t need to ramp up his performances.

No way he’s going to the World Cup regardless as Southgate had 4 RBs ahead of him

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Brissysaint said:

He had one bad game in a shit team with a shit manager he’s consistently been our best player for 2 years so he doesn’t need to ramp up his performances.

No way he’s going to the World Cup regardless as Southgate had 4 RBs ahead of him

Seems like a good few of them are injured!

Don’t agree though, think he’s been mediocre at best all season.

Just set off. Two trains and a rail replacement bus to get down today, wonder if it’ll be worth it.

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Seems like a good few of them are injured!

Don’t agree though, think he’s been mediocre at best all season.

Just set off. Two trains and a rail replacement bus to get down today, wonder if it’ll be worth it.

I’d prescribe a few alcoholic beverages, remember the golden rule, don’t let the football ruin a good day out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

Does feel like a pivotal week in the season. Now in Bottom 3, terrible form, if we don’t pick up at least one win this week not only will Ralph have a worse record than Pellegrino and Hughes we could be a few points behind 4th bottom. It’s a long way back when wins don’t come round very often 

The league table doesn't lie, we are where we deserve to be and drastic surgery will be needed to restore our fortunes. A 3-1 defeat to the Hammers today is likely and will serve only to confirm the trajectory we are on. 

Ralphball like Trussonomics is dead in the water. Who will go first?

Ralph on Monday, Truss on Tuesday................

Sunak will have to decide if replacing Truss is a better career option than replacing Semmens.

33 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Have we got a different coloured kit we've not tried yet ? Might change our players luck if they don't think we are playing for Southampton.

You may be onto something here.

Why dont they take one item of kit from each of the kits, and mix it up. Green top, black shorts, white socks. Or red, whatever colour goes on the white kit.

• Haha 1

I hope we rediscover the drive and energy that has been missing for the last few weeks, but can't help thinking this will be more of the same. If it is then this has to be the end for Ralph.

Result wise I can't see us winning this one, but the approach is far more important for me - if we show some spine, some fight and a willingness to attack then there might be a glimmer of hope. If not then we need to make a change.

2 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

Think that's the most sensible stsrting 11, if AMN is getting sharper. 

Hope to see Edozie get a decent amount of minutes. 

Hopefully more commitment from midfield with AMN and Ely rather that Diallo and Armstrong 

Only thing we get from Ely is persistently giving the ball away

• Like 1

You look at that XI + bench. Probably 2, 37, 8, 10 guaranteed starters (some would argue about Adams, I still think he's our only up front option atm). The others just look totally interchangable. Can't make up my mind, does that mean we have a strong bench, or a sh|t starting XI ?

Edit: Tongue in cheek question, think we all know the answer

Edited by Wurzel

1 minute ago, Wade Garrett said:

Obvious now that we can’t replace Lavia.  So change the shape Ralph.

I have no confidence going into this game.  He really is clueless.

This! It's utterly bonkers.  Either go a midfield 3 or a back 3, something to provide some level of protection.

• Like 2

Let’s be honest - whoever he plays upfront and in midfield currently looks weak - that speaks volumes about the quality of the squad. Think Rice and Soucek will bully that midfield sadly, so we’ll need a bit of luck or a couple of our forward players to have their odd good game.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs West Ham - Match Thread
Just now, Hodgey said:

Let’s be honest - whoever he plays upfront and in midfield currently looks weak - that speaks volumes about the quality of the squad. Think Rice and Soucek will bully that midfield sadly, so we’ll need a bit of luck or a couple of our forward players to have their odd good game.

This is it. The selection makes no great difference. Midfield and attack we are shit whoever you put out there.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I don’t think Elyonoussi is as bad as popular opinion suggests, I’d have him in over Diallo any day of the week. Today is all about what AMN brings to the midfield In my opinion.

His stats would suggest otherwise

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I don’t think Elyonoussi is as bad as popular opinion suggests, I’d have him in over Diallo any day of the week. Today is all about what AMN brings to the midfield In my opinion.

AMN should be played as a winger or not at all. He is not the answer in midfield

• Like 2

The lack of balance in our squad, and that team, is embarrassing. I really hope we can scratch something out today but just look at it - a winger at defensive mid and two players who couldn’t get on the pitch last season now apparently mainstays of the team. Apart from the back five it’s just pulling names and positions out of a hat. It’s all over the place. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Let’s be honest, Ralph couldn’t win regardless of what team he put out.

No Walcott, despite the club mentioning him regularly and having a high social media presence this week.

Yeah, I can't believe it's been nearly 4 years and he still hasn't won a game...

• Confused 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 West Ham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic