Saints 1-1 West Ham - Match Thread

Mr X

It's all about the midfield, if we go with the usual powder puff lineup they will murder us. If we do get something it may well give Ralph a reprieve, assuming his position is / was actually under imminent threat. I can't help feeling, given City's form, that 4 - 0 was seen as some sort of achievement.

Lyanco in for me, no room for Diallo I'm afraid. We desperately need some physicality in there.

If Ralph is still in charge we'll probably lose or draw at best. Can't see the performance level improving while he's calling the shots. Why would anyone expect us to suddenly start looking like a proper well coached football team? Not going to happen.

• Like 2

They will bully us no doubt. Have I missed something with Lyanco playing CM? I'm not aware of him ever playing as a CM before?

They seem to be hitting form at the right time, and Scamacca and Paqueta are quality players. Rice will run the game probably. 

Not sure what I would change tbh. Anything from about 18 players could start, as everyone is out of form. I'd probably have Elyounoussi back in, as Stu Armstrong just looks awful atm. Possibly give AMN another go, but he looked miles off the pace against Everton, had a few more weeks of training.

I'd probably go 4231...

Bazunu; KWP ABK Sali Perraud; AMN JWP; Elyounoussi Aribo AArmstrong; Adams

59 minutes ago, saintant said:

If Ralph is still in charge we'll probably lose or draw at best. Can't see the performance level improving while he's calling the shots. Why would anyone expect us to suddenly start looking like a proper well coached football team? Not going to happen.

This. My worry is we'll lose this and it will be another wasted game where we could have made a change. Even a draw isn't really good enough. We need to start winning games.

The worry is IF we somehow win, it'll buy him another stay of execution and then we'd probably screw up against Bournemouth and get humped up the arse against Arsenal. Still I can't see it - they have Scamacca and Bowen in form. We have Che and SArmstrong who ain't.

Saints 1 - West Ham 3. If Ralph stays. Really hope I'm wrong about the scoreline though.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

They will bully us no doubt. Have I missed something with Lyanco playing CM? I'm not aware of him ever playing as a CM before?

He couldn't possibly be any less effective in that role than Diallo could he? At least he would provide some sort of physical presence in midfield that we are sorely lacking.

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

He couldn't possibly be any less effective in that role than Diallo could he? At least he would provide some sort of physical presence in midfield that we are sorely lacking.

It's a completely different role playing CB and basically heading everything, than being able to know whats around you and be able to play the ball around on the floor. I.m not sure that Lyanco would be capable of that. 

Surely more logical to bring him in at the back and go to a back 3 than play him in midfield ?

Feels a little bit like the annual stick Stephens in midfield mark II

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

It's a completely different role playing CB and basically heading everything, than being able to know whats around you and be able to play the ball around on the floor. I.m not sure that Lyanco would be capable of that. 

Surely more logical to bring him in at the back and go to a back 3 than play him in midfield ?

Lyanco as front sweeper?

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

Good points, but we have to try something. We're never going to win anything with JWP and Diallo as our CM pair in a 4222. I am completely baffled why Ralph keeps persisting with it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Good points, but we have to try something. We're never going to win anything with JWP and Diallo as our CM pair in a 4222. I am completely baffled why Ralph keeps persisting with it. 

I would guess because he doesnt think there is a better option? AMN was clearly brought in to replace Romeu, but at the moment, he's nowhere near as good as him. We've tried 3 in the middle this season, I'd be tempted to go back to this tbh.

59 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

They seem to be hitting form at the right time, and Scamacca and Paqueta are quality players. Rice will run the game probably. 

Not sure what I would change tbh. Anything from about 18 players could start, as everyone is out of form. I'd probably have Elyounoussi back in, as Stu Armstrong just looks awful atm. Possibly give AMN another go, but he looked miles off the pace against Everton, had a few more weeks of training.

I'd probably go 4231...

Bazunu; KWP ABK Sali Perraud; AMN JWP; Elyounoussi Aribo AArmstrong; Adams

I thought that was said when we signed him, but I may have dreamt it. My thoughts were to have him in the what they now call front sweeper, or a sitting defensive midfielder. Hasn't he performed that role as a sub a couple of times this season? 

Lifted from The Boot Room:

He’s versatile

Lyanco is a natural centre-half, but also has the capacity to play as a left-back if needed.

He was also deployed as a holding midfielder on a couple of occasions last term, and his versatility could make him very useful to Marcelo Bielsa.

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, West end Saints said:

Is anyone else struggling to find 11 players they want to start? 

Has Aribo played effectively at CM? 

If not we are probably stuck with AMN or Diallo alongside JWP. 

Maybe Aribo and Ely either side (poss Djenepo) 

Upfront likely to be Che plus one - if fit is Edozie ready to start? 

Personally I'd have a midfield 3 of JWP, Diallo and AMN, then two 10's (one being Aribo, the other Djenepo or Edozie)  and Adams up top. I want to see us pressing again though as we've got no chance by just sitting off teams as we have been doing. 

We will 100% lose this because the likes of Wolves, *Villa and Everton who are utter shit have beaten us already.

*I said Leicester when I meant to say Villa.

West Ham are picking up a bit of form plus they always get the better of us.

Ralph will make another 4/5 changes to try and stop West Ham scoring which will fail once again leaving us chasing the game.

Please, please let this be Ralph’s last game so we can start planning a new manager who will sort out this mess.

Edited by Pilchards
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

We will 100% lose this because the likes of Wolves, Leicester and Everton who are utter shit have beaten us already.

Erm, we beat Leicester actually.

Personally I'd go with a 4-3-3/4-5-1 as we really need to shore up the midfield area.

Djenepo Che Aribo

Diallo AMN JWP

Perraud Salisu ABK KWP

Bazunu

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Appy said:

Would like to see Ballard in the squad, would rather see him tried out at some point than see Adam Armstrong struggle yet again. 

I may be in the minority, but I think he has been one of our better players this season so far. I wish all the squad had his attitude and put in the same effort. The goals are lacking still, but he's being used much wider than last term, and I think he's been more effective, and his pace has worried the opposition.
Our lack of goals is an issue with the Centre Forward..... Che makes a decent second striker (chipping in with 8-10 goals a season), lets hope we can find a goalscorer in January!
I see Cody Gakpo (who we were linked with in the summer) has 9 in 9 in the league for PSV this season, so I'm guessing that ship has sailed way past us now.

• Like 3

I look at the teams in and around the bottom - Leicester, Villa, Palace, Wolves etc etc but you just know that having Watkins, Ings, Vardy, Barnes, Maddison, Jiminez, Zaha, Eze, etc is going to get them enough goals to be well clear come the end. For us, I have no idea where the goals are coming from. It's hard enough for us to create chances as our 10's are so poor, but when we do our 9's are so poor that they can't take them. It's a pretty sorry state of affairs and this is one season where it'll be the tipping point in my opinion. You cannot skimp on goals in any league, let alone the PL.

I thought 'maybe' we'd tighten up this year so we wouldn't be so reliant on outscoring teams, but given that we haven't kept a clean sheet and our midfield is weaker than an U9's team then that seems a foolish hope.

No idea what to expect. They'll overpower us in the middle if we play Diallo, they will score so we will need to score at least 2. And that is where the story ends.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, St Louis said:

I may be in the minority, but I think he has been one of our better players this season so far. I wish all the squad had his attitude and put in the same effort. The goals are lacking still, but he's being used much wider than last term, and I think he's been more effective, and his pace has worried the opposition.
Our lack of goals is an issue with the Centre Forward..... Che makes a decent second striker (chipping in with 8-10 goals a season), lets hope we can find a goalscorer in January!
I see Cody Gakpo (who we were linked with in the summer) has 9 in 9 in the league for PSV this season, so I'm guessing that ship has sailed way past us now.

Leeds agreed personal terms with him in the summer but he doesn't want to go there. Holding out for a CL club (or Man Utd)

From BBC footbal gossip 

PSV Eindhoven winger Cody Gakpo is no longer interested in a move to Leeds despite agreeing personal terms over the summer. Manchester United, Arsenal and Real Madrid have also shown an interest in the 23-year-old Netherlands international.

Edited by waylander
f##king typos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Going to be like Groundhog Day.  Why would it be any different.  Same old shite from Ralph, and the players have had a gutful.

We are absolutely fucking shit at the moment.

Think I'll save on petrol and watch at home.

Going one better as I’m going out with the wife for the day as I cant bear the thought of watching it live which gets me angry, or at home as I sulk because of another shit result.

I can honestly write the match report but I can leave gaps for the opposition scorers.

I even know what Ralph is going to say afterwards in the press….!

’We tried to contain them and we could of won it if we put away some of our chances. On to the next game as we will try to put it right.’

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

AMN was clearly brought in to replace Romeu

Which is mystifying, given that - as also discussed on another thread - AMN isn’t a defensive midfielder, never has been, and sees himself as a winger. 

When we’re signing wingers to do the dirty work at defensive mid it’s no wonder our midfield is in the shitter.

Might as give Theo a go there, why not, let’s try and get our money’s worth for that seventy grand a week or whatever ridiculous deal it was that he was given. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Going one better as I’m going out with the wife for the day as I cant bear the thought of watching it live which gets me angry, or at home as I sulk because of another shit result.

I can honestly write the match report but I can leave gaps for the opposition scorers.

I even know what Ralph is going to say afterwards in the press….!

’We tried to contain them and we could of won it if we put away some of our chances. On to the next game as we will try to put it right.’

I can't wait for the club E-mail attributed to a player, saying that we know where we went wrong and 100 percent not going to make the same mistakes in the next game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I look at the teams in and around the bottom - Leicester, Villa, Palace, Wolves etc etc but you just know that having Watkins, Ings, Vardy, Barnes, Maddison, Jiminez, Zaha, Eze, etc is going to get them enough goals to be well clear come the end. For us, I have no idea where the goals are coming from. It's hard enough for us to create chances as our 10's are so poor, but when we do our 9's are so poor that they can't take them. It's a pretty sorry state of affairs and this is one season where it'll be the tipping point in my opinion. You cannot skimp on goals in any league, let alone the PL.

I thought 'maybe' we'd tighten up this year so we wouldn't be so reliant on outscoring teams, but given that we haven't kept a clean sheet and our midfield is weaker than an U9's team then that seems a foolish hope.

No idea what to expect. They'll overpower us in the middle if we play Diallo, they will score so we will need to score at least 2. And that is where the story ends.

Pretty much my sentiments. I think we have a good defence on paper but squad-light in midfield and poor quality in attack. We do have the transfer window so I'm just hoping we're not too far adrift by then. We need a new manager to come in and tighten us up at the back with the quality we have, make us difficult to beat and then hope to get a goal. The Pellegrino/Hughes season we only got 7 wins all season (21 points) but we did get 15 draws. If we can't win, we need to be drawing games rather than having all these pathetic 1-0 losses.

3 hours ago, Pilchards said:

We will 100% lose this because the likes of Wolves, *Villa and Everton who are utter shit have beaten us already.

*I said Leicester when I meant to say Villa.

West Ham are picking up a bit of form plus they always get the better of us.

Ralph will make another 4/5 changes to try and stop West Ham scoring which will fail once again leaving us chasing the game.

Please, please let this be Ralph’s last game so we can start planning a new manager who will sort out this mess.

I guess you must have missed last season's results when we drew 0-0 at home and beat them 3-2 away 🤨

3 minutes ago, washsaint said:

Just go for it....enough of the cowardly play and go for attack (even with our crap forwards).

Bazanu

KWP  ABK Salisu Perraud

Lyanco/AMN

Aribo JWP  Edozie 

Mara  Adams/Armstrong 

“Just go for it” 

By playing a terrible centre back in midfield. 

7 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I would guess because he doesnt think there is a better option? AMN was clearly brought in to replace Romeu, but at the moment, he's nowhere near as good as him. We've tried 3 in the middle this season, I'd be tempted to go back to this tbh.

Why was AMN brought in as OR replacement? They play different positions, i thought.

We simply will have no choice but to get the striker in in January, another huge fuck up by the club! Che and AA aren't going to provide enough to keep us up, but what half decent striker is going to want to come to a relegation battle? 

We will likely lose and the continuing weirdness from the club shows the hallmarks of a side ripe for relegation.

The Transfer window, despite the promise, has been pretty average at best. 

To be fair, if we are not going to act like a proper premier league club, we have little business in the top flight

Baz

KWP.  ABK.  Sali.  Perraud

Diallo

S Arm.  JWP

Aribo.                   Edozie

Mara

Don’t trust anyone in centre midfield so would rather a sitting player (Diallo) and JWP and Stu working together looking for the FORWARD pass.  JWP pushing more on Rice to stop him acting as playmaker.  If we keep playing from centre back into JWP and back to centre backs we will make mistakes and we will struggle to get out (leading to hoofs to no-one).

I’d give Mara a go as the central striker with Che to come on as the physical presence later.  (this may force as to play on the deck more than good to Adams). Edozie can’t be worse than Djenepo, A Armstrong or Ely so let’s give the kid some game time.  Aribo deserves his place. 

To be totally honest you could put a blanket over a Ralph team and expect the same performance 90% of the time so selection almost irrelevant.  Ralph needs to get the patterns of play on the training ground and teach JWP some positioning and drop of the shoulder moves to go forward rather than the “safe” but not really safe option. 

Saints 5 - WHU 0.  

6 hours ago, Highfield Saint said:

I hope the players can feel the positivity flowing from the support on here.

12th man and all that...

Baz

KWP ABK Salisu Perraud

Eli JWP Diallo AA

Adams Edozie

Maybe if they'd give us something to be positive about rather than the gutless, spineless insipid shit we've had to put up with recently, the atmosphere might change....?

Edited by Viking Saint
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, PartridgeA said:

Baz

KWP.  ABK.  Sali.  Perraud

Diallo

S Arm.  JWP

Aribo.                   Edozie

Mara

Don’t trust anyone in centre midfield so would rather a sitting player (Diallo) and JWP and Stu working together looking for the FORWARD pass.  JWP pushing more on Rice to stop him acting as playmaker.  If we keep playing from centre back into JWP and back to centre backs we will make mistakes and we will struggle to get out (leading to hoofs to no-one).

I’d give Mara a go as the central striker with Che to come on as the physical presence later.  (this may force as to play on the deck more than good to Adams). Edozie can’t be worse than Djenepo, A Armstrong or Ely so let’s give the kid some game time.  Aribo deserves his place. 

To be totally honest you could put a blanket over a Ralph team and expect the same performance 90% of the time so selection almost irrelevant.  Ralph needs to get the patterns of play on the training ground and teach JWP some positioning and drop of the shoulder moves to go forward rather than the “safe” but not really safe option. 

Saints 5 - WHU 0.  

You mean want Ralph to coach ? It’s not going to happen ….. 

53 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

They play Thursday night and we can but hope they get some knocks and are knackered for Sunday, then at least we might only lose 1-0!

That's a good point, forgot about that.

Silver linings and all that. I'm clinging to anything I can at the moment.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 West Ham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic