Joe Shields leaving? What the hell is happening???

stevy777_x

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

You don't think if Barca come in for him from Chelsea he'll be gone from there too? There are about 4-5 clubs in the world who aren't stepping stones and we're not one of them.

No I’m saying we’re a stepping stone club. The overreaction from people about him leaving is remarkable. 😅

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

No I’m saying we’re a stepping stone club. The overreaction from people about him leaving is remarkable. 😅

I totally accept the steppingstone mantra, but to be using us as a steppingstone after just 4 months is a bit insane and not normal.

• Like 4

Just now, S-Clarke said:

I totally accept the steppingstone mantra, but to be using us as a steppingstone after just 4 months is a bit insane and not normal.

Agreed. I say good riddance.

Why would anyone want to keep him at the club? Especially after all this.

He isn’t gods gift and there are plenty of other people out there. Him leaving for a bigger job isn’t a surprise. Him leaving for a new job after such a short space of time with us, is the surprise.

Clearly not a committed person. And as I’ve said in previous comments, I’m sure most if we were given several more envelopes of cash would do the same.

The overreaction by fans on here and on Twitter having a pop at the club is just hilarious and embarrassing, the club haven’t brought this on. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

• Like 5

2 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

So, that’s the set-piece coach and now Shields leaving us already after joining in the summer. Doesn’t look too great from the outside looking in. Not liking the project?

I guess we could have a bit more variety on our signings again now, after a summer of raiding Man City’s youth department. 

Expect Chelsea to add ABK and Lavia to their squad in the not so distant future.

Get a grip man! Developing and selling these players to clubs flush with cash is our recruitment and growth strategy... 

As for shields, its not the club's fault that he's been offered the director of recruitment role at a side like Chelsea. He isn't a saints fan and its a huge step up for him. It's an absolute no brainer career wise but it still reflects poorly on him as a person / loyalty wise. But what exactly do you want the club to do about it?

It also shows we did well in hiring him if he's already being hunted by Chelsea... Although I'd argue we failed to get both cdm cover or a good striker - so jury's out really. 

• Like 3

All part of the Chelsea’s master plan to get Lavia. 

City would never sell him to chelsea. Get this little bald midget to come to us, convince City to sell them, then fuck off to chelsea and take him with ya… 

Sneaky bastards. Would never have happened under Cortese. The bald fella’s head would be outside St Mary’s just at the thought of using us like that. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dman said:

All part of the Chelsea’s master plan to get Lavia. 

City would never sell him to chelsea. Get this little bald midget to come to us, convince City to sell them, then fuck off to chelsea and take him with ya… 

Sneaky bastards. Would never have happened under Cortese. The bald fella’s head would be outside St Mary’s just at the thought of using us like that. 

Except City have the buy back so they would just trigger that…

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Agreed. I say good riddance.

Why would anyone want to keep him at the club? Especially after all this.

He isn’t gods gift and there are plenty of other people out there. Him leaving for a bigger job isn’t a surprise. Him leaving for a new job after such a short space of time with us, is the surprise.

Clearly not a committed person. And as I’ve said in previous comments, I’m sure most if we were given several more envelopes of cash would do the same.

The overreaction by fans on here and on Twitter having a pop at the club is just hilarious and embarrassing, the club haven’t brought this on. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

Agreed. People saying there's toxicity in the club. If you walk out on a club after just 2 months for a pay day I think thats a him problem.

Let's be honest, If he had a lot to do with Bella Kotchap then fair enough, but other than that he's just raided his former club, which he won't be able to do at Chelsea.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EBS1980 said:

Except City have the buy back so they would just trigger that…

I mean, clearly, I was joking.. but it doesn’t matter if City trigger the buy back clause. If the player would rather go to Chelsea, he can.

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

It does seem to fit with chelsea’s New owner scattergun approach, deciding they want Lavia on transfer deadline etc.

Concerning that he is so desperate to get out the door so Soon though.

Didn't the owner have a say on transfers? I seem to remember him babbling on about signing Ronaldo & co like he was playing Football Manager

All jokes aside, I wonder if SR have decided they would like to take a more active approach in transfer dealings? (Pretty sure I saw somewhere that Rasmus was the main negotiator in a few deals this summer). 

Tbf, can’t say I blame Shiels for leaving, he’s been offered a once in a life time opportunity, you don’t really turn the likes of Chelsea down…

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Some were wondering if he would have a second act. We will never know.

Wonder if at Chelsea he will try to buy the nippers City wanted to keep.

If City wouldn’t sell them to us (with a buy back clause almost certain to be in there), they’re not going to sell to Chelsea…. 

Edited by Dman

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

He’s changed his tune… I thought us fans were arrogant for expecting better!? 

surely a club batting to stay in the PL and lucky to be there can’t expect staff to stay when they’re offered a chance to join a CL club..!!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

All jokes aside, I wonder if SR have decided they would like to take a more active approach in transfer dealings? (Pretty sure I saw somewhere that Rasmus was the main negotiator in a few deals this summer). 

Tbf, can’t say I blame Shiels for leaving, he’s been offered a once in a life time opportunity, you don’t really turn the likes of Chelsea down…

Sensible post (but too rational for here).

25 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The overreaction by fans on here and on Twitter having a pop at the club is just hilarious and embarrassing, the club haven’t brought this on. 

Exactly this.

Part of a wider issue with fanbase toxocity/negativity atm. It feels like we've lost a lot of the relegation / league 1 feel that followed the club through thick and thin, and instead become a much more impatient and entitled fanbase, one where some fans are seemingly only happy with unrealistic expectations. We've been underfunded for years (but not the fault of those currently at the club). So whilst it's understandable, letting those frustrations spill out is only going to damage our prospects. And we're very quick now to direct en mass negativity at the club on all fronts, even turning on the promising youngsters we've signed (e.g. bazunu lately) - Something that is the antithesis of saints imo. 

The fans need to stay behind the club and players atm. Whilst people are still engaged and trying for the club they get supported, not turned on... Or we'll be back to league 1 minus 10 points before you know it. 

Joe shields leaving after a few months for a pay cheque is all about him, not something to slate the club for. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

Exactly this.

Part of a wider issue with fanbase toxocity/negativity atm. It feels like we've lost a lot of the relegation / league 1 feel that followed the club through thick and thin, and instead become a much more impatient and entitled fanbase, one where some fans are seemingly only happy with unrealistic expectations. And when they aren't achieved, we're very quick to direct en mass negativity at the club on all fronts, even turning on the promising youngsters we've signed (e.g. bazunu lately) - Something that is the antithesis of saints imo. 

The fans need to stay behind the club and players atm. Whilst people are still engaged and trying for the club they get supported, not turned on... Or we'll be back to league 1 minus 10 points before you know it. 

Joe shields leaving after a few months for a pay cheque is all about him, not something to slate the club for. 

This club is known for sticking behind the team. This isn't a Branfoot situation, this is a manager and board (semmens) who people were raving about not so long ago. We need to get behind the team and club on Sunday no more negativety as the reaction online twitter being the worst for asking for Ralph gone on every post is frankly embarrasing.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

If City wouldn’t sell them to us (with a buy back clause almost certain to be in there), they’re not going to sell to Chelsea…. 

Fair point. 

Not terribly fussed about him leaving. Let's go after the Chelsea, Liverpool or United youth head scout and `raid' their best nippers next summer - assuming we will continue down that route. 

• Like 1

Few random thoughts on reading this:

Didn't ABK sign before Joe Shields arrived ?

a few months ago none of us had heard of Joe Shields. Yes has a good reputation for signing youth players, but - as far as I’ve read - no track record in recruitment of first team players (although this distinction has become a bit blurred - can only hope SR see the flaw in the policy)

Hoping Ankersen can spread some of his ‘Brentford’ magic  at the club.

Await to see if Semmens & Co go all Rupert, with a “we’re playing hardball on this one..” and if he does leave wonder how they will dress it up.

Lastly,let’s not forget most things you read on the internet are rubbish.We know that to be true as Semmens told us at the fans forum. 

Edited by Badger
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Few random thoughts on reading this:

Didn't ABK sign before Joe Shields arrived ?

a few months ago none of us had heard of Joe Shields. Yes has a good reputation for signing youth players, but - as far as I’ve read - no track record in recruitment of first team players (although this distinction has become a bit blurred - can only hope SR see the flaw in the policy)

Hoping Ankersen can spread some of his ‘Brentford’ magic  at the club.

Await to see if Semmens & Co go all Rupert, with a “we’re playing hardball on this one..” and if he does leave wonder how they will dress it up.

Lastly,let’s not forget most things you read on the internet are rubbish.We know that to be true as Semmens told us at the fans forum. 

Think Ankersen is busy poaching football clubs in the back ar*e of Serbia atm - wish he had more of an active role in our club

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Think Ankersen is busy poaching football clubs in the back ar*e of Serbia atm - wish he had more of an active role in our club

I’m sure SR will be unimpressed if they take stock of the club. We’re meant to be the pinnacle of their network.

I wrongly assumed ‘pinnacle’ as at the top of it, rather than becoming the club the wasters calling themselves Pinnacle might have created before Marcus Liebherr bought us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

We need to recruit someone that can recruit some triffic lads for the future.

51837803.jpg.0.thumb.jpg.bd27256dd320e68bcfa0d1a3a26a6f07.jpg

Despite the criticism coming his way I’ve not heard Ralph ever complain the squad is down to ‘the bare bones’. Although he has twice described our performance on occasion as shit. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stknowle said:

Don't know a lot about the bloke but let's hope his notice period is spent securing a  striker worthy of the name.

Might as well let him go now because he sure as Hell won't be busting a gut to help us. Any gems he unearths or already knows about will be tucked away for Chelsea.

46 minutes ago, Chez said:

Fair point. 

Not terribly fussed about him leaving. Let's go after the Chelsea, Liverpool or United youth head scout and `raid' their best nippers next summer - assuming we will continue down that route. 

assuming were still in the prem.................!

Fine to be a steppingstone club if the stone steppers stay long enough to confer tangible and lasting benefit and success on the club, but the cycle appears to be accelerating such that they aren't staying long enough. We are at risk of becoming a triage club, a short term holding area, a departure lounge for flights to Chelsea et al. 

• Like 1

Not too bothered about this news, we’ve already got the result we want in getting the best available City kids. That’s a one trick move and Shields doesn’t have any reputation in finding mid priced gems - which is what we need. I’ll concede it’s a blow if we survive this season as he can clearly spot a good young player with potential, but they’re not coming here if we are down / looking like relegation fodder.

51 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

Not too bothered about this news, we’ve already got the result we want in getting the best available City kids. That’s a one trick move and Shields doesn’t have any reputation in finding mid priced gems - which is what we need. I’ll concede it’s a blow if we survive this season as he can clearly spot a good young player with potential, but they’re not coming here if we are down / looking like relegation fodder.

Has he shown that here though? He’s picked up some City players but he hasn’t gone out to other clubs and picked up promising 18/19yr olds. He’s just raided the one club he knows about. 

At Chelsea, like at City he’ll have a much bigger budget to go and get top tier players , which is always easier to do for bigger clubs than mid/lower clubs

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I thought Chelsea were getting that guy from RB?

This is weird though; this is the second of the new appointments over the summer who has left/leaving (Clapham and now Shields).

It's hard to totally call the club out on this because it sounds like he's done a number on us, but we really do feel in ultimate turmoil right now in all departments

Thought this as well . But isn’t the bloke from Leipzig a Director of Football or operations ? If he is then Shields could still be head up the recruitment. 

3 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Get a grip man! Developing and selling these players to clubs flush with cash is our recruitment and growth strategy... 

As for shields, its not the club's fault that he's been offered the director of recruitment role at a side like Chelsea. He isn't a saints fan and its a huge step up for him. It's an absolute no brainer career wise but it still reflects poorly on him as a person / loyalty wise. But what exactly do you want the club to do about it?

It also shows we did well in hiring him if he's already being hunted by Chelsea... Although I'd argue we failed to get both cdm cover or a good striker - so jury's out really. 

Fair points. 

I still don't think Shields is completely proven either. As said, he very much relied on his Man City youth contacts in the summer. It will be interesting to see how he gets on with a much bigger budget while looking to secure the higher profile players. I don't think he has actually proved anything here yet, but the early signs were promising. But, also, there was probably a better number 10 out there than Edozie, who was ready to be a starter from day one and there was probably a better left-back than Larios. Also, probably a better CDM, as you said, while he was also fixated on Delap, again the Man City obsession, who's struggling in the Championship and didn't secure us an alternative, leaving us weak up top. So, his only summer window wasn't entirely successful and I don't think Chelsea will accept Man City youth players, other than Lavia, who is an extreme talent.

• Like 2

Answering part of the question regarding Chelsea’s appointments this article was linked on the BBC Gossip page:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/oct/12/chelsea-joe-shields-from-southampton-as-head-of-recruitment

Says they want to appoint technical, recruitment , and sporting directors ! Seems like they’ll be tripping over each other in their roles. 

2 hours ago, capitalsaint said:

As others have said, it was originally reported that we beat Chelsea to his signature.

Something has clearly changed- either they’ve offered a significantly better package to him than they did before or something has happened here that has made him want to get out early.

Unusual.

Arsenal and Chelsea were offering him youth recruitment roles, whereas he chose us because we offered a first team role. It was always going to be a stepping stone, but no one expected it to be this quick. As said in the Ben Jacobs tweets, if he was expecting everything to be in perfect structure and have a resources up to his eye balls, he clearly didn’t do enough research on Southampton, because that was never going to be the case. We were 6 months after a takeover when he came in and trying to revamp the first team playing and coaching staff so there was always going to be a transition in resource and structure - he shouldn’t then use that as an excuse. Let’s be honest, he’s moving because he’s getting a massive pay rise and will get to work at a Champions League level which you can’t blame him for. But, since we were willing to gamble on giving him his first senior role, you would have hoped he would have committed to a bit longer than 3 months. Even one season is a fair stint. I don’t think gardening leave is helping anyone but on to the next one in my eyes. Hopefully we can unearth another good one who is keen to bring in talented players without blocking the academy pathway where we have some gems coming up in the next few years 

Edited by daldridge7

Football, don't you just love it. 

As soon as you bring anyone with promise in, be it players/staff, in an attempt to improve the team, they are all ready having their heads turned by bigger clubs and having one eye on leaving. 

Football has become a mockery governed solely by money. You are only any good as a side if you can buy success. 

My passion for football is dying by the day. 

• Like 7

Nothing we can do about stepping stones but the fact he was here such a short period of time does perhaps suggest something is not quite right. Fans aren’t being “entitled” by asking pertinent questions. 2022 has been a poor year, we are slipping down the table, we made a big blunder in the window and the manager is growing unpopular with a large swathe of the fan base. And when we speak up the local journalist calls us arrogant. I would argue we are perfectly entitled to query the way our club is being run. It will be a bit late if we all kick off next May. 

• Like 7

As he appeared to be our best signing of recent years, Shields deciding to abandon ship so soon must raise some worrying questions about the whole project.

For me, his departure would set off the few remaining alarm bells that aren't already ringing.

Who is steering the ship and why are we so far off course right now?

• Haha 1