Southampton 0-1 Newcastle League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg

Saint_clark

On 11/01/2023 at 22:34, spyinthesky said:

I remember we played Newcastle in a European game (Inter City Cup Game in the 70's?????) 

May be wrong but seem to think we drew 0-0 away and 1-1 at home but went out due to away game rule.

We were the better side too

Spot on, 69/70 Fairs Cup. My old man went to both legs home and away. Said Saints were robbed. 

• Like 1

It's mental up here in the north east, I have had to put up with hours of nufc fans moaning about wembley allocations and they're booking hotels and all sorts. They are doing extremely well, absolutely no doubt but there's a huge amount of arrogance, it's 'only'. Southampton after all and they've pretty much won the cup never mind got past the semi's, the same cup they said was a Mickey mouse cup when Sunderland last got there. Any way I'm glad you lot looked like you have turned a corner at the right time and hope you are least win the semi final .

• Like 14

7 hours ago, lostmackem said:

It's mental up here in the north east, I have had to put up with hours of nufc fans moaning about wembley allocations and they're booking hotels and all sorts. They are doing extremely well, absolutely no doubt but there's a huge amount of arrogance, it's 'only'. Southampton after all and they've pretty much won the cup never mind got past the semi's, the same cup they said was a Mickey mouse cup when Sunderland last got there. Any way I'm glad you lot looked like you have turned a corner at the right time and hope you are least win the semi final .

After years of being an average top flight team and spells of relegation and playing in lower leagues I'd have thought they would have been more grounded and reasonable.

Sadly they seemed to become arrogant overnight, pretty much straight away singing about how they were going to get into Europe and win the league.

I used to have a soft spot for them, have friends who live up there and spent a decent amount of time in the city. They can fuck off now as far as I'm concerned though and have just been added to the list of annoying rich clubs like Man City, Chelsea etc.

• Like 9

I don't fear Newcastle. They're had a good season sure, but they aren't that good. They're solid and tough to beat, but teams are starting to take them more seriously and figure them out and they're subsequently finding it harder now. Their lack of squad depth is going to start to show, and they were extremely lucky to beat fulham at home on the weekend. Plus their best player is now out injured and you can be certain their board will tell Howe the top 4 is the priority - if there is any concerns on player fitness. They've also got to travel down for a tricky but high pressure away game at Palace on the Saturday, before then travelling down to face us again on the Tuesday. We have villa at home with no travel before the away fixture at SJP, so we should really be better rested and prepared.

Against that, we are bang in form, in the headspace of treating all games as "must win" style cup matches, almost a fully fit squad, and we've got JWP pinging in 25yard penalties every other game :). Its definitely there for us to win - and i personally think we're going to rock up on a wintry night at SMS after they've had a long journey down, stick a few goals past them, and then park a 5 man defence at SJP and do the equivalent of shane longing their arses late on.

Its going to be saints vs united in the final, although sadly i don't think we'll beat Man Utd on their current form. Not unless we sign a quality CF.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

After years of being an average top flight team and spells of relegation and playing in lower leagues I'd have thought they would have been more grounded and reasonable.

Sadly they seemed to become arrogant overnight, pretty much straight away singing about how they were going to get into Europe and win the league.

I used to have a soft spot for them, have friends who live up there and spent a decent amount of time in the city. They can fuck off now as far as I'm concerned though and have just been added to the list of annoying rich clubs like Man City, Chelsea etc.

Agreed. Doesn't help with Sky etc banging on about how great a job Howe is doing. Take away the money and they would be bottom six with us.

• Like 1

This Newcastle team is a mid table / europa league team over performing. Fulham deserved a result there yesterday. We are a completely different team to the one that lost 4-1 a few months ago so hopefully we can get a positive result against Villa to keep spirits high going into the first leg. Looks as though Bruno will be out injured which is a huge boost.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

However you can just go onto this website and buy tickets in the home end...!

https://www.livefootballtickets.com/fixtures/southampton-v-newcastle-united-tickets-efl-cup.html

At least we're making some effort to make it a bit tougher , better than nothing. 

Not convinced we'll sell out anyway, Tuesday night in January before pay day I'm sure money is tight for many , bottom of the league,  game on sky even though its a semi only first leg so only see up to "half time" 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Cat said:

Agree although I always have soft spot for City. Don’t think as a rule they have become too arrogant. Newcastle seem to be getting every bit of luck going although TBF have blown away plenty of teams as well

56 minutes ago, JRM said:

Away tickets , big allocation, I notice the sales windows before first leg, they'll probably reduce allocation if not many sold before then 

https://www.southamptonfc.com/matches/2022-23/efl-cup/newcastle-vs-saints-2023-01-31/ticket-info

They've only been given the 3,200 allocation for St Mary's. Maybe a bit of belief has returned after an upturn over the past week, another committed show this weekend (and hopefully more points on the board) will see fans returning with a renewed buzz.

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Away tickets , big allocation, I notice the sales windows before first leg, they'll probably reduce allocation if not many sold before then 

https://www.southamptonfc.com/matches/2022-23/efl-cup/newcastle-vs-saints-2023-01-31/ticket-info

Not sure what this means, whether it means they can get more, or it will be reduced, or both...

Saints take on Newcastle at St James' Park in the Carabao Cup Semi-Final (2nd leg) on Tuesday 31st January at 8pm. We have taken an allocation of up to 3,708 - subject to initial sales. These will go on sale in the following order:

22 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Not sure what this means, whether it means they can get more, or it will be reduced, or both...

Leicester took a similar allocation for the 1/4 final but after slow initial sales returned half the tickets, would expect something similar but they should make clear to fans when that decision will be made. 

Newcastle then sold Leicester returned tickets to their own fans. 

9 minutes ago, JRM said:

Leicester took a similar allocation for the 1/4 final but after slow initial sales returned half the tickets, would expect something similar but they should make clear to fans when that decision will be made. 

Newcastle then sold Leicester returned tickets to their own fans. 

Ah guessing that’s why it says they’ll be sold in order of the home team, ie left to right as you look at the pitch, makes sense 

19 hours ago, lostmackem said:

Thanks for posting. Clubs always deride cup success by rivals when it happens, had the same with Portsmouth and the JPT in 2010 Carlisle. You broke that attendance record in 2019 but at the time it was ‘Micky mouse’ and when they won it it was pictures with the cup etc. As for Newcastle, any success they have us going to always have the question mark about the Saudi funding and be a bit grubby. Got nothing against their fans or City which I’ve spent time in for work and Howe has done a great job there. Our record up there is rubbish so we will need a decent lead from the first leg. It’s a bonus for SFC to be there after the worst 12 months of performances in our top flight history, whereas they are expected to win with all of the noise from media and their fans. That atmosphere, entitlement and expectation can turn against them as we saw at Goodison on Saturday. 
PS - thanks a heap for knocking them out of the POs at their place when they had their best chance for years of getting back into the Champ under Kenny Jackett. I hope Luke O’Nien didn’t contract any infectious diseases on encountering a member of the Leigh Park ‘community’.

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Sounds like there is a good chance he'll miss the first leg, but likely to be fit for the second leg...i notice they've been linked with a whole host of players this morning, inc a bunch from Chelsea. I'm guessing there is a chance they'll be cup tied.

1 hour ago, NorthLondonSFC said:

Train strike on the 1st just been announced for anyone looking to get home the day after Newcastle away

Yep, looking at the LNER website it seems they generally run a train every two hours rather than every half hour on strike days. I've already booked my train to head back on the 1st so looks like it will be busy journey back! 

Edited by Berkshire Saint

26 minutes ago, Berkshire Saint said:

Yep, looking at the LNER website it seems they generally run a train every two hours rather than every half hour on strike hours. I've already booked my train to head back on the 1st so looks like it will be busy journey back! 

I've booked trains with Lumo, they don't appear to be listed on the companies impacted so fingers crossed. 

At least we get up there ok for the game, worry about getting home later. 

18 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

If we don't sell the initial, say 1200 or 1800 quickly, we wont get the full allocation. I suspect the second batch would require the club t pay for them all up front, and they never risk that - as they will lose money. There has to be significant early demand. I guess that relies on the ST+5aways, +4 and +3 folks to buy a lot of ticket on day 1 and 2 of sales.

19 minutes ago, Chez said:

There has to be significant early demand. I guess that relies on the ST+5aways, +4 and +3 folks to buy a lot of ticket on day 1 and 2 of sales.

The problem here is, arguably your most loyal supporters dip out despite having first grab at tickets, when the home club make you sell from the corner of the allocation first. Later buying windows offer the better seats to fans who are probably less deserving.

Some may take a chance and wait but in this case waiting may see tickets returned as it would look like sales are slow - the club should be allowed to at least sell from a more central point back to the corner that’s guaranteed away seats.

5 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

The problem here is, arguably your most loyal supporters dip out despite having first grab at tickets, when the home club make you sell from the corner of the allocation first. Later buying windows offer the better seats to fans who are probably less deserving.

Some may take a chance and wait but in this case waiting may see tickets returned as it would look like sales are slow - the club should be allowed to at least sell from a more central point back to the corner that’s guaranteed away seats.

I seem to recall the Play off away game at Derby was sold like this, so your away regulars were in the far left seats. Not sure it matters too much where you sit at Newcastle to be honest. Everyone is bloody miles away. Personally, I'm more concerned about the travel distance/time than the seat location.

18 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I'm going to be waiting to buy tickets, as some of our group only have 2 aways...still should be ok.

I'm like that, could buy today but will wait until Friday to buy with others I'm going with, club should make clear how many need to be sold by when to keep full allocation 

20 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Don't suppose anyone that isn't going to the home leg is happy for me to borrow their supporter number? Young lad we're taking for the first time doesn't have one and I didn't realise you had to register for one before the 11th 🤦🏼‍♂️

Think you'll be alright if you make him a supporter number as "friends and family" through the ticket site, and book through your account. I had the same issue but it seems to be fine as long as the person making the order had the account before the 11th. 

4 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Think you'll be alright if you make him a supporter number as "friends and family" through the ticket site, and book through your account. I had the same issue but it seems to be fine as long as the person making the order had the account before the 11th. 

Managed to get it sorted, cheers for the heads up anyway!

For the city and Lincoln games I was able to buy 2 tickets and put both against my supporter number. Bought 3 this morning but I had to select 3 different supporters, have they limited it to 1 per supporter for this game? Luckily I had 3 supporter numbers registered. 

6 minutes ago, Wsaint said:

For the city and Lincoln games I was able to buy 2 tickets and put both against my supporter number. Bought 3 this morning but I had to select 3 different supporters, have they limited it to 1 per supporter for this game? Luckily I had 3 supporter numbers registered. 

Think it depends on whether it's under "Season Ticket Holder Additional" or "General Sale".  General Sale seems to want you to stick it under a specific supporter. I logged on half hour ago and could get some additional season ticket holder tickets under my name, but now that option has disappeared which is bloody irritating.

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Think it depends on whether it's under "Season Ticket Holder Additional" or "General Sale".  General Sale seems to want you to stick it under a specific supporter. I logged on half hour ago and could get some additional season ticket holder tickets under my name, but now that option has disappeared which is bloody irritating.

Ah that's weird, I've bought under general sale all 3 times as I'm not a season ticket or membership holder and could stick both tickets in my name so no idea what they're playing at.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Southampton 0-1 Newcastle League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg
  • Jimmy_D pinned this topic
  • St Chalet unpinned this topic