The Nathan Jones Appreciation Thread

St Chalet

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

Anybody?

Actually, we’ll always have that win over Man City.

That's the bonkers thing.  We won that game because we were great in every position... in every other game the team looks like strangers, devoid of confidence with some strange selections.

I don't fully blame Jones for our position, problems before and problems after, and I am normally a give it a chance kind of guy... But this feels like the right (overdue) decision.  

I've no doubt he tried but it feels like this wasn't the right fit from quite early on.  Maybe if you get a couple of early wins, people will buy in but lose, lose and lose again with often atrocious football and there's only one outcome.

Good luck Nathan Jones wherever you end up next - it wasn't all your fault, you tried but on the pitch you certainly didn't make it better. With the greatest respect, Southampton wasn't for you.

• Like 5

We always have that one blagger at work- someone who does the bare minimum and gets away with it- so anyone aspiring to be that person, look at Nathan.

-When first appointed, 6 weeks of doing absolutely FA (World Cup) 

-Free lads holiday to Spain

-Blagging all his games here

-Full pay off and now has millions in the bank.

Good luck for the future. I’d swap positions with you instantly! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, St Chalet said:

Anyone feeling charitable?

Ok, I am because I actually feel a little sorry for him  

It was a very bad appointment but hardly 1 he was ever going to turn down. Especially seeing as he appeared to be incredibly competitive  

The fault overwhelmingly lies at RAs door. 

However, I’m glad he’s gone and I hope we can stop abusing him now. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, St Chalet said:

Anyone feeling charitable?

On a personal level as a guy who’s tried his best and has to live with not being up to this level of football….no doubt the ultimate ambition for any manager….yes I feel for the bloke.

An odd character yes, said and done some very weird stuff, but doesn’t deserve the personal abuse. 

Still think he’s largely responsible for our position, and time was up. Doesn’t stop me feeling a tad sorry for him. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, LeBizzier69 said:

On a personal level as a guy who’s tried his best and has to live with not being up to this level of football….no doubt the ultimate ambition for any manager….yes I feel for the bloke.

An odd character yes, said and done some very weird stuff, but doesn’t deserve the personal abuse. 

Still think he’s largely responsible for our position, and time was up. Doesn’t stop me feeling a tad sorry for him. 

Do you think he even understands where he went wrong?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

Almost certainly he will be privately blaming the players. In his mind he isn't responsible. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I for one am proud that we’ve had a European great manager and the fittest man who ever existed as part of our club. 

Agree , took us to a semi final, not many saints managers have done that, legend 

Screenshot_20230210-163450_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.9f889ca2105fa0bc9c056d4041d0711a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

I agree, he will regret leaving Luton again,  remember it was Saints who persuaded him to join us 

I'm feeling empathetic so here goes.

He wasn't handed a premier league job on a platter like Lampard, Gerrard and other big names. He's grafted right from the bottom and earned his chance at the big time. Unfortunately for him (and us) it didn't work out. I also personally didn't mind his slightly mad interviews, at least he has a personality unlike the PR dream players and managers we have 99% of the time.

So I hope he lands on his feet and gets another job in the championship. Nothing against the man, the fault was with our board for the risk.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JRM said:

I agree, he will regret leaving Luton again,  remember it was Saints who persuaded him to join us 

He said that, but seriously who is going to reject the chance to manage in the PL when you're currently manager of Luton? No one.

Big pay rise, big contract. I doubt there was much convincing that needed to happen, no matter what bluff he came out with.

• Like 2

I'll give him this - I was quite struck by what is now his final interview.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64616084

If you can ignore the infuriatingly persistent use of "aggression" and the maddeningly meaningless "front-footed", AND the "God willing" at the end, what you see here is a terrified little bloke who at least has the balls to front up to the camera and clearly, if nothing else, is giving his all and really, really cares. His eyes right at the start, I admit, do pull my heart strings *a little*. I find it hard not to sympathise with what must have felt like the most monumental plight, to an extent.

Plus, he's fundamentally right in this instance - we were good enough for long enough in the game to have won had we have been more ruthless in front of goal. In that respect, for an hour at least, Nathan had done his job.

Obviously he ignores the terrible game management that ultimately contributed to the loss, and I'm clearly not buying the 'going down to 10 was bad for us' nonsense. And none of this changes the fact that I despise the bloke and that this has been a dark, dark chapter. But as God was clearly not willing, seeing fit to shat all over him on God's day, in the name of charity I shall grant him thus - he tried. Very, very hard. He gave his all to our club, though fell so far far short. And the players most definitely let him down, because a lot of them are very nearly as shit as Nathan is.

I hope whatever you go onto next works out better for you, Nathan. I would perhaps not hold out for another Premier League offer.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He said that, but seriously who is going to reject the chance to manage in the PL when you're currently manager of Luton? No one.

Big pay rise, big contract. I doubt there was much convincing that needed to happen, no matter what bluff he came out with.

I'm not so sure after what happened at Stoke. He was onto a good thing at Kenilworth Rd, As things stand now Luton are more likely to be in the Premier League next season than Saints. 

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Anybody?

Actually, we’ll always have that win over Man City.

Weird thing is, we were genuinely brilliant in that game, in every position. It was one of our most deserved wins against one of the top teams in years.

Something came together in that game and it’s a shame Jones couldn’t drag that out of the players under the pressure of the relegation battle as well.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Weird thing is, we were genuinely brilliant in that game, in every position. It was one of our most deserved wins against one of the top teams in years.

Something came together in that game and it’s a shame Jones couldn’t drag that out of the players under the pressure of the relegation battle as well.

That’s what I don’t get though. Why did he immediately change it again after that game? We were fantastic in that match and played one of the best teams in the world off the park. It felt like he’d actually found a system that worked so why on Earth not just stick with that? 

• Like 1

I don't think he's a bad man, he just wasn't the right man for the club or the situation.  This squad needed (and still needs in my opinion) a "name" to shape them up, the players have to shoulder lots of the blame as well under both Ralph and Jones. 

However, the football and results did get worse and there is no excuse after having a 4/5 week training session during the world cup.  I hope Nathan finds the right club for him and does well elsewhere.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

That’s what I don’t get though. Why did he immediately change it again after that game? We were fantastic in that match and played one of the best teams in the world off the park. It felt like he’d actually found a system that worked so why on Earth not just stick with that? 

I think taking the City game in isolation is too simplistic. Ok, we played very well and beat them on the night. However, every game in the Premier league presents different challenges because of how opponents set up. The great managers have the intelligence to work out how to deal with the nuances. Us setting up and trying to play like we did against City every week simply wouldn't work.