Saints 1-2 Grimsby: Match Thread

FarehamSaintJames

Honestly in terms of distance travelled, midweek, on tv, as a % of their average home crowd this has to be the most impressive following to ever come to St Mary's , almost want them to win after all that effort 

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

I see that Leeds aren’t messing around tonight with rotation. Square pegs, square holes and the best team on the pitch. We have to put out what’s considered to be our best team tomorrow to not only get a win but to try and build some confidence. 

I agree but that ain't going to happen. The only good news is that he will rotate Bednerek and hopefully Ely and maybe realise that they both shouldn't be in the 1st team starting line-up. 

And steady JRM. That's a fair few coming down but I'd never even 'almost' want them to win. I want us to win 5-0 and wave them goodbye!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

I see that Leeds aren’t messing around tonight with rotation. Square pegs, square holes and the best team on the pitch. We have to put out what’s considered to be our best team tomorrow to not only get a win but to try and build some confidence. 

I'd rather have round pegs in round holes, much easier to slot in.

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Honestly in terms of distance travelled, midweek, on tv, as a % of their average home crowd this has to be the most impressive following to ever come to St Mary's , almost want them to win after all that effort 

Hope we smash them 5 or 6 and they have a miserable trip back

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

I agree but that ain't going to happen. The only good news is that he will rotate Bednerek and hopefully Ely and maybe realise that they both shouldn't be in the 1st team starting line-up. 

And steady JRM. That's a fair few coming down but I'd never even 'almost' want them to win. I want us to win 5-0 and wave them goodbye!

Yeah of course, hope they have a good trip with their haddocks but want us to batter them. 

Had a think and other memorable away followings here I'll go with Hapoel Beersheeva brought a good 1800 over from Israel in Europa league, probably keep them on top spot for now. 

Here's a bit of Saints FA Cup magic to get in the mood for the game 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JRM said:

Yeah of course, hope they have a good trip with their haddocks but want us to batter them. 

Had a think and other memorable away followings here I'll go with Hapoel Beersheeva brought a good 1800 over from Israel in Europa league, probably keep them on top spot for now. 

I remember it well. We were low down behind the goal just off to the left and saw it all the way in. You’re right, the ball swerved all over the place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I remember it well. We were low down behind the goal just off to the left and saw it all the way in. You’re right, the ball swerved all over the place.

Love the spontaneous pitch invasion, no wait for a VAR check in those days , magic of the cup 

• Like 5

Just seen the BBC Breakfast piece on Harry the Haddock and the tradition behind it. Thank god we relented and let them bring their fishes in - it’s what the FA Cup is all about!! As for them bringing over 4K that’s phenomenal and they should be applauded. Let’s hope for a classic cup tie. 5-4 Saints AET would do me!! Enjoy your trip Grimsby fans!!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Saint Paul C said:

------- McCarthy -------

Lyanco - Caleta-Carr - Salisu - Diallo

Sulemana - JWP - Alcaraz - Orsic

---- Onachu - Mara -----

Change both full backs and I'd be happy with that.

Would like to see Mara up front with Tall Paul and Sully on the wing.

All I really want from tonight is a statement of intention of how we are going to change things enable us to actually score some goals, and win the required premier league games to avoid relegation. I've never felt so ambivalent about the FA cup. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Think I heard that Salisu is still out

Yes, he said it quickly, but I think Ruben said it in the press conference for this game.

------- McCarthy/Willy -------

Lyanco - Caleta-Car - ABK - Perraud

JWP - Alcaraz 

Sulemana       -                    Orsic

---- Walcott - A.Armstrong -----

Edited by the saint in winchester
give them all a run out

15 hours ago, saint77 said:

Prick

Where did that come from? 

Im saying that’s a fantastic turnout of away support, given that it’s extortionately priced for the team we’re facing, our level of performances this season and the fact it’s on TV. 

But yeah that makes me a prick. Mature 😂

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Where did that come from? 

Im saying that’s a fantastic turnout of away support, given that it’s extortionately priced for the team we’re facing, our level of performances this season and the fact it’s on TV. 

But yeah that makes me a prick. Mature 😂

Twat.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Sevvy said:

I'm going for Dom Ballard getting a game tonight

I'd be surprised. Saints usually give a clue to who is starting in the pre-match graphic, could be treated to an Aribo / Walcott / Maitland-Niles masterclass tonight 

FB_IMG_1677670387663.thumb.jpg.8d6f38da01e0fb6262b821505537f1a6.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, JRM said:

The cup game against Bolton remains the only game I have ever gone to leave before the final whistle. I remember going with my dad and sister, I must have been 8 we were heading to the exit when Horne hit this and we ended up sitting in completely different seats for the extra time. I swore i'd never leave early again and havent even when being tonked by several goals.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, JRM said:

I'd be surprised. Saints usually give a clue to who is starting in the pre-match graphic, could be treated to an Aribo / Walcott / Maitland-Niles masterclass tonight 

tra la la la la .....that's why we're going down....that's why we're going down....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westmidlandsaint said:

The cup game against Bolton remains the only game I have ever gone to leave before the final whistle. I remember going with my dad and sister, I must have been 8 we were heading to the exit when Horne hit this and we ended up sitting in completely different seats for the extra time. I swore i'd never leave early again and havent even when being tonked by several goals.

I was living in London at the time and left before the Horne goal I assume to make sure I caught the train back. So a mixture of elation and being gutted I missed it for me!

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Oh dear, if Aribo gets selected we're effectively giving them an extra man.  To be fair Walcott and AMN should be fine against a league 2 team - but we all know that's not how the FA Cup works.  I just hope whoever is on the pitch gives a damned good account of themselves - fearless and composed, making Grimsby look like the lower league team rather than the other way around, as we've sadly seen too many times.

1 hour ago, JRM said:

It's like they asked chat gpt to make the most uninspiring poster imaginable 🤣

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

It's like they asked chat gpt to make the most uninspiring poster imaginable 🤣

"Which four players would make Saints fans least likely to make a last min decision to attend the match" 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sevvy said:

I'm going for Dom Ballard getting a game tonight

Two reasons why I don't think so.

1. There is Youth 1/4 final in the next 48 hours, so a strong team will be played there.

2. Selles pointed out he has a squad of 30 senior pros pressing for team places, so I think there is little to no chance of the young'uns being added.

Yeah, if we can't play them in these ties, when can we play them? This is where we are like Chelsea - a bloated squad not gelling.

Said it already but the only thing I want from the line-up is Onuachu starting to try and get him his first goal in England, could end up being important. I'd probably include Sulemana and Orsic in that too, as at least we don't know for definite yet if these lot are as shit as the others we've watched for years and are well aware about.

In reality it'll probably be Walcott, Djenepo, A. Armstrong and Mara, which would make it a boring game to even watch on TV. I slightly feel for the Grimsby fans who'll make the effort to get down here for what'll be just a drab atmosphere.

As abovbe, I want to see Orsic, Tall Pall and Kamaldeen in order to give them a chance to get some goals and fill some confidence. We can keep flogging Djenepo, Walcott and Adam Armstrong all we like, but we know were not going to get any more than we have from them.

Reality is, Tall Pall and Kamaldeen probably nowhere near involved, given recent restriction of minutes.

My guess is it'll be something like;

------- McCarthy -------

AMN - Caleta-Carr - Lyanco -Djenepo 

Walcott - JWP - Diallo - Alcaraz 

---- Aribo - Mara -----

Comfortable win tonight, and a bit of confidence restored. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JRM said:

Was in the milton right behind that watching the swerve

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Grimsby: Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic