Saints 1-2 Grimsby: Match Thread

FarehamSaintJames

14 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I slightly feel for the Grimsby fans who'll make the effort to get down here for what'll be just a drab atmosphere.

The only drabness will be from the home support as usual. There'll be plenty of atmosphere from them, they're so excited and they'll be swinging their Harry Haddock's with all their might. It's "not their cup final" but apparently we won't know what's hit us with their support.

I'm watching on the box with the volume off.

1 minute ago, alehouseboys said:

The only drabness will be from the home support as usual. There'll be plenty of atmosphere from them, they're so excited and they'll be swinging their Harry Haddock's with all their might. It's "not their cup final" but apparently we won't know what's hit us with their support.

I'm watching on the box with the volume off.

Yeah. Lincoln fans seemed up for it too but that whole game was horribly flat as well. The club haven’t helped themselves with the pricing for this one though, again.

Thinking 15,000 at a push? With over 4,000 of that being Grimsby.

Think this is actually very important for us to set the tone. If we come out lethargic and with odd team selections, even Grimsby might be problematic if they harry and press and we're not up for it or are at all billy big boots about this tie. It may come back to bite us. Instead, I hope Selles has them fired up to go for the kill from the off, or risk the lethargic half empty home support to get to them. Perish the thought that they are right up for it and take the lead. This needs to be a convincing 3-0 win with a concentration on no-nonsense defending (CC please), loads of chances, and most of them taken. All to set us up for the more important Leicester game.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Yeah. Lincoln fans seemed up for it too but that whole game was horribly flat as well. The club haven’t helped themselves with the pricing for this one though, again.

Thinking 15,000 at a push? With over 4,000 of that being Grimsby.

18 thousand sold I think I heard this morning. The price and time of the game is basically a fuck you to fans so i’ll be missing it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I'm sitting in the car park at Woolston and a couple of blokes have just walked past carrying an inflatable haddock. 

Ah! The magic of the Cup.

I love it how it’s one of the cringiest things i’ve seen from a football club, but because it’s a “tradition” it’s okay 😂. good support from them tonight 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whelk said:

Decent line up. Better than Saturday’s

338C7990-8A9A-42BD-B610-A830A2177A29.jpeg

Never thought I'd be relieved to see Mccarthy's name so much!

You'd hope that back 4 with Lavia in front should be keeping a clean sheet!

Will be interesting to see what Orsic can do.

Really glad to see Doyle and Ballard on the bench, both thoroughly deserved after the season's they've had

• Like 1

Decent line up that should be strong enough to beat a league 2 side. I know some folk are convinced by DCC but for me the jury is still out. He’s just a bit grabby for my liking, and you can’t get away with defending like that with VAR nowadays.

Would love to see Ballard come on for a bit.

1 minute ago, petermcpete said:

Is that still a 4-2-2-2 with AA through the centre?

Looks a decent team, maybe a little lightweight in midfield as Alcaraz is very attacking I think, but good to see some intent to win the game!

I think it'll almost end up like a diamond with Lavia sitting and Alcaraz playing ahead of him.

Pretty mad that despite being as shit as we are, we’re now able to field an almost complete second string of senior players including most of the bench. So used to being about two injuries away from filling our bench with kids for important league games. 

3 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Pretty mad that despite being as shit as we are, we’re now able to field an almost complete second string of senior players including most of the bench.

Pretty much like when we got relegated last time from the top division....bloated squad full of average.

We should smash these by at least 5.

Edited by skintsaint

14 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Well, glad to see Orsic and Alcaraz. Not sure why we're risking Lavia in this game, and I would've preferred Edozie to Djenepo.

Shame that the two new guys aren't involved whatsoever to give them a preferable setting to kick start their moves.

Alcaraz will have more chance to get involved further up the pitch with Lavia in there with him. I like that midfield pairing.

Djenepo offers more end product than Edozie, so an understandable pick for me.

I'm with you on the new guys. They need time to gel, and to get goals. 

40 minutes ago, Manuel said:

Glad Selles persists with 4 at the back.  Who out of that lot is going to score a goal though?  

We shall see.  

Against league two Grimsby? I'd hope a few of them. Armstrong banged them in in the championship, Orsic has a decent record, Alcaraz has a good shot on him. 

21 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Commentator lady just said we've got to trust these players can win the league 🤣has noone told her we are bottom 

She also said Lavia needed to stop being so attacking and work on the defensive side of his game as we'd conceded a lot of goals this season. Clueless.

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Grimsby: Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic