Adam Armstrong

Harry_SFC

Just now, Fan The Flames said:

Just seen that, I was reading a different post. What we can agree on that AA is in great form and I'm really pleased for the bloke 

he has been excellent this season, hasn't he. All started with an unintentional deflection off the face

• Like 1

On 13/01/2024 at 18:34, Saint_clark said:

Posting here as well as the match thread.

Arma with 14 goals and 11 assists so far this season, only player in the top four England leagues (and the top leagues around Europe) in double figures for both.

Yet everyone seems to think we NEED a right winger ?

mind boggling shit to me he doesn’t need moving .

as much as Martin has earned our trust I really don’t want to mess with our attacking dynamics for the sake of bringing in a left footed rw..

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

8 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Well I've checked it twice now, why don't you take another look and tell me where a defender touches it. Closest it comes is when the CB sticks a foot out but you can see it bounce off the ground.

Quite clearly deflected by the defender.

7 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

he has been excellent this season, hasn't he. All started with an unintentional deflection off the face

*Unintentional deflection off the back of his head. Next you'll be saying you think the defender didn't touch the ball for Che's goal.

(He obviously did; the flight of the ball from Arma's cross would've seen it bounce knee-high to Adams; the contact by the defender saw it bounce chest-high instead.)

3 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Quite clearly deflected by the defender.

Yes the direction of the ball even changes when it hits the defenders foot. Strange hill for Saint Clark to die on, as it really couldn't be clearer. But never mind.

Arma, what a player at this level. If he can take a step up to the PL at second attempt, should we get there, what a bonus that would be. Agree with the poster who mentioned his increased work rate and tracking back this year. Perhaps the captaincy inspired that? Or maybe decent management from Russ.

Edited by niceandfriendly
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

Arma, what a player at this level. If he can take a step up to the PL at second attempt, should we get there, what a bonus that would be. 

I'm certain he would be much more effective in this team in the PL than he was previously. He's playing in a system that suits him now, unlike previously when the whole team was devoid of confidence and he was either played as a lone striker or in midfield, and never given a decent run of games in either position.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/01/2024 at 07:14, Sheaf Saint said:

I'm certain he would be much more effective in this team in the PL than he was previously. He's playing in a system that suits him now, unlike previously when the whole team was devoid of confidence and he was either played as a lone striker or in midfield, and never given a decent run of games in either position.

I hope so. He did score in his very first game with us after all. Confidence sapped away quickly afterwards as a result of the factors you mention

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Should we go up, I'd be surprised if he didn't get every opportunity. Offers a lot more than just the goals and assists, for a start.

I'd give him a chance but hopefully we would have options to the extent that we don't have to rely on him being a success. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd give him a chance but hopefully we would have options to the extent that we don't have to rely on him being a success. 

Mara will be our Solanke and get a minimum of 18 goals next season in the prem so don’t worry about it mate. 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

more than 2 months ........since anyone has posted anything on Adam Armstrong's ongoing contribution throughout the campaign.

Having played second-fiddle to Che Adams since his arrival, at last we have seen something of the form we hoped for when we first signed him.

The first striker to get to 20 goals - since Danny Ings - plus a dozen assists has earned him the Players Award AND the same accolade from the Fans.

It is also notable that he is often the first to track back when the opposition gets a counter attack, and tackles as well as any defender. 

He has deputised for Jack Stephens on many occasions this season and is a good role model at both ends of the pitch and truly deserves these awards.

well done Adam.

• Like 8

Given his contract expires in the summer of 2025, you'd hope/think that if we do fail to go up, renegotiating his contract is going to be a priority this off-season.

47 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

more than 2 months ........since anyone has posted anything on Adam Armstrong's ongoing contribution throughout the campaign.

Having played second-fiddle to Che Adams since his arrival, at last we have seen something of the form we hoped for when we first signed him.

The first striker to get to 20 goals - since Danny Ings - plus a dozen assists has earned him the Players Award AND the same accolade from the Fans.

It is also notable that he is often the first to track back when the opposition gets a counter attack, and tackles as well as any defender. 

He has deputised for Jack Stephens on many occasions this season and is a good role model at both ends of the pitch and truly deserves these awards.

well done Adam.

Worthy winner of the awards. Can’t help but think he and Che should have shared 60+ goals this season. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

Has any Champ club had two combined 60+ goalscorers in the last 20 years?

Probably not and I'm sure my judgement is clouded somewhat by frustration but these are both experienced (albeit not successful) Premier League strikers.

18 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Probably not and I'm sure my judgement is clouded somewhat by frustration but these are both experienced (albeit not successful) Premier League strikers.

Think you're confusing "Premier League quality" with "played (experienced) in the Premier League". Its clear Adams should have scored more, given how many sitters he has missed, but that's because he is not PL quality. Not so sure about Armstrong, although he too has had a plethora of good chances which he has not converted (but not shocking misses like Adams).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Think you're confusing "Premier League quality" with "played (experienced) in the Premier League". It’s clear Adams should have scored more, given how many sitters he has missed, but that's because he is not PL quality. Not so sure about Armstrong, although he too has had a plethora of good chances which he has not converted (but not shocking misses like Adams).

Not really, I said they were experienced not successful. 

If we go up he will perform to exactly the same level as he did previously in the prem. His contribution has been immense this season, but he will just not get the time he needs to set himself in the prem that he does in the championship.

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

If we go up he will perform to exactly the same level as he did previously in the prem. His contribution has been immense this season, but he will just not get the time he needs to set himself in the prem that he does in the championship.

Even with that extra time to set himself, he's still missed a fair few chances this season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Even with that extra time to set himself, he's still missed a fair few chances this season.

He has. I was indirectly responding to the point that he should get a new contract if we go up. I don’t think he should, this is his level imo.

Edited by Toussaint
Wording
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

I can’t help thinking that they would both be better suited to playing together in a front two partnership, instead of this 4-3-3 bollocks.

we could then have four in midfield too, which would protect the fullbacks. Would we still be able to get players into space, play out from the back and dominate possession? I wouldn't have thought it impossible, but maybe it leaves us short in the middle, which at the top level is suicide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

more `big chances' than any other striker in fact. 

I'd argue that when he was played out wide last season (with less pressure to score goals), he was more of a handful - the newcastle cup game at home a prime example (why the fuck he was subbed that night is beyond me) and a better fit to his skills/attributes. He now plays out there all the time, so he may be more effective if we go up, although he's never going to score as many goals as he has this season, obviously.