Adam Armstrong

Harry_SFC

8 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

I agree that he's a confidence player but to say that we didn't give him a run in the premier league isn't true. He played 53 matches over two seasons and looked very average. Granted the team wasn't performing which wouldn't have helped.

There is more time and space in this league and it's clear the defending isn't as good. 

I think those 53 games you quote probably count sub appearances .. it has onuachu down as 11 games too ..

i don’t thing AA really got a decent run in the side going .. his debut season he started ok then broja kinda took over(deservedly ) after that he kinda in and out and playing out of position sometimes . But no real prolonged run where he could get his confidence up ..

compare that to Adams when he joined he had months and months on end of playing and not scoring but still kept his place .. he was alright when he had ings doing the goal scoring .. but last season we just kinda relentlessly started him even though he couldn’t hit a barn door for much of it..

we know exactly what we are getting with Adams but I think with AA it’s still open and it’s possible with confidence he could really catch fire 🔥 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I think those 53 games you quote probably count sub appearances .. it has onuachu down as 11 games too ..

i don’t thing AA really got a decent run in the side going .. his debut season he started ok then broja kinda took over(deservedly ) after that he kinda in and out and playing out of position sometimes . But no real prolonged run where he could get his confidence up ..

compare that to Adams when he joined he had months and months on end of playing and not scoring but still kept his place .. he was alright when he had ings doing the goal scoring .. but last season we just kinda relentlessly started him even though he couldn’t hit a barn door for much of it..

we know exactly what we are getting with Adams but I think with AA it’s still open and it’s possible with confidence he could really catch fire 🔥 

Do substitute appearances not count now?

Surely the golden opportunity for strikers/attackers as a substitute is to come on and change the game, make a difference. How many times did Adam Armstrong ever do that?

How many times did he come of the bench and show that he should be first choice?

Bam. Goal. Assist. Pick me.

You just seem to be arguing that Armstrong should have just been picked regardless. And to be honest with our dreadful options up front last year, I think he was picked regardless.

Adam Armstrong could have replaced Che Adams as a first choice regular very easily, if he had scored. some. goals.

He didn't. The idea that he never got a chance is absolutely mystifying.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 3

Was excellent on Saturday, I genuinely didn’t think he was capable of finishes like that, and has been one of our better players so far. He was also terrible in the 3 games previous.

Like many of our players he needs to be in a system that suits him. I’m not sure he can play a lone striker role - as someone else said he seems to be an old fashioned ‘inside forward’ 

he definitely wasn’t good enough for the Prem, and was given ample chances, doesn’t mean he never will be as there are a few players who needed a couple of bites to get going. 

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Surely the golden opportunity for strikers/attackers as a substitute is to come on and change the game, make a difference. How many times did Adam Armstrong ever do that?

How many times did he come of the bench and show that he should be first choice?

You just seem to be arguing that Armstrong should have just been picked regardless. And to be honest with our dreadful options up front last year, I think he was picked regardless.

Adam Armstrong could have replaced Che Adams as a first choice regular very easily, if he had scored. some. goals.

Equally you could say how many times did he come on as a sub when the team was flying which is a lot easier than coming on when the side was struggling - I'd hazard a guess it was mostly the latter. I've always advocated that Armstrong, with good supply, will score goals and, let's face it, the service he got in the Premier League gave him scraps to feed on and that's being generous.

6 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I don’t think sub appearances really count for much really no .. it paints a skewed picture especially when used in the way he played 53 times for us.onuachu had 11 to his name how many proper starts did he get ? 3 ?  If Adams got the same amount of chances he wouldn’t have done fuck all either .

martin I’s the first manager we have had that is preferring Armstrong (at least since the first few weeks of his saints career) and now he’s getting his confidence up because of the faith in him ..

time will tell if he ends up better for us then Adams ever was 

12 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Pretty sure Harry was talking about Armstrong. 

Oh yeah sorry, Monday is pub quiz night so probably best ignoring anything I post on a Monday evening after pub kick out time. Or just all the time should you prefer. 

3 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I don’t think sub appearances really count for much really no .. it paints a skewed picture especially when used in the way he played 53 times for us.onuachu had 11 to his name how many proper starts did he get ? 3 ?  If Adams got the same amount of chances he wouldn’t have done fuck all either .

martin I’s the first manager we have had that is preferring Armstrong (at least since the first few weeks of his saints career) and now he’s getting his confidence up because of the faith in him ..

time will tell if he ends up better for us then Adams ever was 

It's a bit tricky to compare them because they are different players. Armstrong is better at finishing but isn't as physical or as good at linking the play. Armstrong upfront on his own constantly failed because his all round game wasn't good enough.  Likewise Che struggled because he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo.

Would you want either player to be your striker if we made it back to the prem? I certainly wouldn't. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/10/2023 at 08:30, CB Fry said:

Think you may be a trifle hard on AA ...(CB Fry)

there is a lot of difference  between playing for 80-90 minutes and wasting chances that come, and the opportunity to even having a chance to score.

As an example last season.   Adam Armstrong was automatic starter during Ralph's shorter term as a manager and started 11 times in the first 15 games

albeit on left wing, (but did score the winning goal v. Chelsea), whereas Che Adams was always the main striker but seldom scored so often.

The two subsequent managers disregarded Armstrong as a starting option and he was used as sub. on just 15 games  during those remaining games.

Closer study showed that around half of those were in the closing 10 minutes and several even in "added time" - not many chances there , and occasionally

he had no goal chances at all.  There has been an internal debate on here about the effectiveness of  Che Adams as a lone striker and even when they both

played in the same start side, as it was Che who had (and frequently missed) the most chances, and this was no favour to Armstrong who got less opportunities.

Neither striker showed up as a dependable goal scorer, but we now see that given RM's alternative system, Armstrong has already scored 8 times this season

as well as a serving well  in a defensive role when needed.  This side is still looking to settle into a real rhythm but Armstrong is showing up much better.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

Here's a weird thought. AA is a worker, gets stuck in and back tracks etc. Could we not utilise him in some sort of midfield roles when RS becomes available and leads the line? Perhaps as an impact sub to help get the midfield engine running later in the game?

Thats where he was playing when we kept losing.

He doesn't offer much in there tbh. 

On 28/10/2023 at 18:00, Farmer Saint said:

Just want to say a huge kudos to Arma - doing a great job in the Championship - can you imagine how pissed off we'd all be if we'd purchased Piroe now...

Screenshot_20231028_175838_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231028_175756_com.android.chrome.jpg

According to Transfermarkt, Piroe has been playing as an attacking midfielder, which seems bizarre

image.png.55885df9d40323e5c81dc422bd839b08.pngimage.thumb.png.e130798531b77fc74f736be8ed63b5c0.png

3 hours ago, east-stand-nic said:

Here's a weird thought. AA is a worker, gets stuck in and back tracks etc. Could we not utilise him in some sort of midfield roles when RS becomes available and leads the line? Perhaps as an impact sub to help get the midfield engine running later in the game?

He's basically the top scorer in the league, and is playing really well in his current role. His workrate, pace and finishing have been superb and scare the sh*t out of opposition defenders.  Why would we move him back into midfield? And back onto the bench?? Why are we always so critical of our own players (I'm not saying you are being here @east-stand-nic) but if he was scoring these goals for someone else, we would be crying out for us to sign him in Jan!
AA can (and does) play wide of a Front 3 anyway, so I think he could fit really nicely alongside Stewart. And I have a feeling we wont see much of RS for a while yet anyway, he's missed a lot of football and has one of those injuries that can recur if not looked after. I think its exciting to have options and a player in AA who is looking confident, lets not dent it again.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, St Louis said:

He's basically the top scorer in the league, and is playing really well in his current role. His workrate, pace and finishing have been superb and scare the sh*t out of opposition defenders.  Why would we move him back into midfield? And back onto the bench?? Why are we always so critical of our own players (I'm not saying you are being here @east-stand-nic) but if he was scoring these goals for someone else, we would be crying out for us to sign him in Jan!
AA can (and does) play wide of a Front 3 anyway, so I think he could fit really nicely alongside Stewart. And I have a feeling we wont see much of RS for a while yet anyway, he's missed a lot of football and has one of those injuries that can recur if not looked after. I think its exciting to have options and a player in AA who is looking confident, lets not dent it again.

I totally agree but i figure RS was not bought to sit on the bench and cannot see who else might get dropped instead. I just have a feeling due to RM styles of play he will drop AA for RS.

1 hour ago, Hatch said:

I know I am in the minority now, as he has a few goals,  but he still wouldn't be in my starting 11. 

He breaks up more of our attacks than any of the other teams defenders do.

I don't think he's that good but I'd still have him in my team. Not sure when Ross Stewart is fit though. He's clearly someone who can score some goals in this league, but he's not good enough for the prem. 

Once RS is fit, and I’m sure that will take quite a while, it’ll be 6 of Downes, Charles, Smallbone, Stu, Alcaraz, Arma Sulemana Stewart Adams Fraser Edozie. 

Id guess the strongest on paper would probably be Downes, Smallbone, Stu, Arma, Sulemana, Stewart. 

with the others subbing in. I did wonder at the weekend whether Charly playing RW was a trial in prep for Stewart being fit, 

Good problems to have though in this league….

11 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Once RS is fit, and I’m sure that will take quite a while, it’ll be 6 of Downes, Charles, Smallbone, Stu, Alcaraz, Arma Sulemana Stewart Adams Fraser Edozie. 

Id guess the strongest on paper would probably be Downes, Smallbone, Stu, Arma, Sulemana, Stewart. 

with the others subbing in. I did wonder at the weekend whether Charly playing RW was a trial in prep for Stewart being fit, 

Good problems to have though in this league….

I'm hoping our squad depth will really give us an advantage as the season progresses

On 30/10/2023 at 13:12, Lord Duckhunter said:

When I look at the number of goals he’s got this season my immediate thought is, fuck me, how many would a decent striker have. Let’s face it, he’s pretty fucking average. 

Average but the league's top scorer? Kay...

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to bump this thread.

I only goto one or two games a season due to being abroad. Last game I went at home in PL, AA was getting so much stick. 

Although he was below par in the PL he has always worked his socks off. Seeing him get a standing ovation today after getting the winner and playing well just goes to show how things can turn around if you stick at something and work hard. Great attitude.

Martin should also receive some credit for his revival. 

Could almost say the same about Bazunu. Sometimes it's worth sticking with players even in the tough moments. 

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

How would he know it's about him if it has Rickie's name in it though?

2 minutes ago, Wsaint said:

Well obviously you would replace Rickie Lambert with Adam Armstrong, I thought that was a given 😂

Or if you want just sing Rickie Lambert and then point vigorously at arma until he gets it, I dunno you do you stripey

Been critical of him since he joined - never about work-rate, just didn’t look premier league quality.

But this season … second top scorer. Ahead of Vardy; ahead of people we should have signed (😉) like Delap and Piroe.

Only Blackburn’s Szmodics (me neither) has more. Add in assists and they’re joint top in the league. 
His work-rate and tracking back have been exceptional; really pleased for him, seems a really good guy and professional. Hope he gets a second crack with us in the premier league and can take this form and confidence with him and have more of an impact.

Always happy to be proved wrong by players, especially when they clearly are working so hard for it (Mara take note!).

Well done Adam, please keep it going 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Been critical of him since he joined - never about work-rate, just didn’t look premier league quality.

But this season … second top scorer. Ahead of Vardy; ahead of people we should have signed (😉) like Delap and Piroe.

Only Blackburn’s Szmodics (me neither) has more. Add in assists and they’re joint top in the league. 
His work-rate and tracking back have been exceptional; really pleased for him, seems a really good guy and professional. Hope he gets a second crack with us in the premier league and can take this form and confidence with him and have more of an impact.

Always happy to be proved wrong by players, especially when they clearly are working so hard for it (Mara take note!).

Well done Adam, please keep it going 

He is a really good player. 

He’s really found his mojo again    It’s great to see not only is he finishing well his speed of closing down is rapid and causes defenders nightmares .. makes you wonder why he didn’t get more run under Ralph as it’s such a ideal attribute for pressing .

bit of a lesson to those who like to criticise our squad players who haven’t had huge runs in the team .. arribo also looked terrific yesterday 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stknowle said:

Found his feet back in the champ. Also full marks for resolutely maintaining the same ultra-sensible haircut throughout his time with us.

I still think there’s a good chance he could cut it a prem level. As I said a while ago he never really got  a decent run in the prem . In and out of the side .. lost out to broja early on and the manager always preferred che ..

makas a ton of difference if the manager fully believes in you, he’s not perfect but he’s rapid enough ,closes down like a train and is a decent finisher 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 1

Even when things weren't going well for him, it always looked like he was trying, and putting the effort in, when many would have just thrown in the towel. I'm pleased for the the lad that it's coming good for him and long may it last. If he carries on like this, the next problem will be trying to keep hold of him! You just can't win can you!

On 11/11/2023 at 19:31, ScandiSaint said:

Just wanted to bump this thread.

I only goto one or two games a season due to being abroad. Last game I went at home in PL, AA was getting so much stick. 

Although he was below par in the PL he has always worked his socks off. Seeing him get a standing ovation today after getting the winner and playing well just goes to show how things can turn around if you stick at something and work hard. Great attitude.

Martin should also receive some credit for his revival. 

Could almost say the same about Bazunu. Sometimes it's worth sticking with players even in the tough moments. 

Yeah agree Martin should take some credit, he’s been the only one to really put full trust in Arma and had the balls to change the pecking order and drop che .. it’s good vision by Martin to see things the previous managers didn’t 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Yeah agree Martin should take some credit, he’s been the only one to really put full trust in Arma and had the balls to change the pecking order and drop che .. it’s good vision by Martin to see things the previous managers didn’t 

I'm not saying RM shouldn't get some credit, but there's a big difference playing against Championship defenses vs. PL ones.

20 hours ago, waylander said:

Now he has a manager who knows how to get the best out of him, I think there is every chance he would cut it in the PL

I think he would be exactly the same in the prem as he was last time in the prem. He just won't get the, space, time or chances he's getting now.