Adam Armstrong

Harry_SFC

I wonder how much it would cost to terminate his contract?

If my mind serves me correctly he has played against Sheffield Wednesday, Lincoln, Grimsby, Coventry and probably more lower league sides over the last two seasons. He has arguably been our worst player in every game. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BotleySaint said:

Somehow he has regressed as a player since he joined us. He does work hard but has no pace, no skill, no finishing ability. Did he just mentally give up trying once he hit the "big time" 

We actually managed to sign a worse version of Shane Long, didn't think that was possible but you can trust us to do it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

He (like most of them) is completely paralysed by fear. Scared to try, scared of getting it wrong so goes simple.

I reckon you can trace it back to the miss against Man United in our second game last season I think. 1 on 1 and missed it. It's been like that since then. Newcastle 2nd leg chance as an example.

No composure, no belief. Needs a move away.

• Confused 1

I didn't understand it when we signed him, I don't understand it now.  I have no idea what the people running this club are looking at, not a clue. Apparently they have scouts who find the players, analysts that assess the players, a professional recruitment process. And we end up with Adam Armstrong who most fans can see very early on is never, ever going to be fit for purpose.  And it's not just him, so many of the players that we have bought over the last two years are just woeful.  So, how does everybody think Orsic looks so far, Premier League quality? 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Micky said:

I didn't understand it when we signed him, I don't understand it now.  I have no idea what the people running this club are looking at, not a clue. Apparently they have scouts who find the players, analysts that assess the players, a professional recruitment process. And we end up with Adam Armstrong who most fans can see very early on is never, ever going to be fit for purpose.  And it's not just him, so many of the players that we have bought over the last two years are just woeful.  So, how does everybody think Orsic looks so far, Premier League quality? 

I have to agree.  Recruitment has been absolutely diabolical.  We have turned into one of those clubs who seems to buy random players without any consideration of how they will suit a system.  For years we had a system and bought players to fit the system - it worked well and occasionally we were surprised by how well this worked (ie. not many people thought Bertrand would do as well for us as he did, but he was exactly what we needed).  We scoffed at other clubs who collected players like they were opening panini packs.

Specifically on Armstrong - it annoys me how weak his legs are.  I want a striker who's strong enough to rifle shots in, not dribble them into the keepers arms each time.  It's like watching a kid play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Nimbus said:

He (like most of them) is completely paralysed by fear. Scared to try, scared of getting it wrong so goes simple.

I reckon you can trace it back to the miss against Man United in our second game last season I think. 1 on 1 and missed it. It's been like that since then. Newcastle 2nd leg chance as an example.

That through ball during the first half that went through to the keeper. I was thinking he could get to the ball before the keeper but he literally bottled it. Stealing a living this guy. Shocking footballer.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Micky said:

He did score 28 goals in 20/21 which was more than Ivan Toney if you discount penalties. That was in a team that finished in 15th place, so I can see why he was signed.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

id be interested in seeing everyone’s team

If you're asking.....    

Forecast

Jermaine Wright - Davenport - Hoedt - Bernard

McCann   -   Diallo  -   Holmes

Juanmi

Armstrong         -          Carrillo

3 hours ago, Mr Nimbus said:

I also remember that United chance and have wondered what his season would’ve looked like had he scored that winner. Prior to that he’d scored on his debut and looked lively in both those games. If you’d have asked me 5/6 games into his time with us i’d have said he looked like a decent signing. You don’t go from scoring 30 odd goals in the Championship, to looking completely out of place against a mid table League 2 side without some degree of it being mental surely. When Che plays against lower teams in the cup he looks a class above and normally bags against them - Armstrong has not had an impact against any of them from what I can recall. 

19 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

If you're asking.....    

Forecast

Juanmi

they'd beat us lol

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

I also remember that United chance and have wondered what his season would’ve looked like had he scored that winner. Prior to that he’d scored on his debut and looked lively in both those games. If you’d have asked me 5/6 games into his time with us i’d have said he looked like a decent signing. You don’t go from scoring 30 odd goals in the Championship, to looking completely out of place against a mid table League 2 side without some degree of it being mental surely. When Che plays against lower teams in the cup he looks a class above and normally bags against them - Armstrong has not had an impact against any of them from what I can recall. 

Like other he's been left out of the starting eleven for quite a few games so when he does get on the pitch there must be some tension there.

1 hour ago, SambaMaverick said:

Really hope we don't have to watch him in the Championship next season

I just can't see how he scored so many goals for Blackburn. 

I'd my much rather we persisted with Mara next season in the championship, at least he shows flashes of potential. 

4 hours ago, bpsaint said:

If you're asking.....    

Forecast

Juanmi

Tremendously shit side, although you appear to have left Pulis out. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

id be interested in seeing everyone’s team

White, Pekhart, Robertson, Patterson, Perricard and Bignall were all dreadful but at a lower level so they’d get the nod for me. Fuller, DMG, BWP and Madsen were nothing to write home about either.

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Tremendously shit side, although you appear to have left Pulis out. 

Pulis didn’t make an appearance did he? So I think that would keep him out of my team, no bad memories from him, unlike so many others. 

• Like 2

On 01/03/2023 at 21:32, BotleySaint said:

Somehow he has regressed as a player since he joined us. He does work hard but has no pace, no skill, no finishing ability. Did he just mentally give up trying once he hit the "big time" 

One of many. He actually looked a decent player on his debut at Everton and scored. Has got worse over time, not just him though, have to ask why so many players join us and turn to shit after a few weeks of learning the Southampton way… 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I just look at him and fail to understand how he keeps getting minutes. No matter how bad he plays he back on the pitch the next game. Guess there must be some feeling that technically he's a striker so if we put him on the wing he may inadvertadently score.

Agreed, just one of the many on our books that are stealing a living. 

• Like 2

The only clips I saw of him when he signed were of him having first time shots to score , he seems to have problem with his coordination these days never striking the ball cleanly. It could be in his head or just the lack of coordination , his goals were described as scuffed shots on here when he signed so perhaps the latter !

Horrendous again yesterday, he’s actually getting worse which takes some doing. I was told by someone close to Jones that he didn’t rate him, but was prepared to work to improve him. This suggests to me that he’s got the right attitude & is professional (you would just bin someone incapable of developing), that has to be the only explanation for his inclusion because it can’t be performance related. 

I don't understand how a guy that scored 29 goals in 43 games before he came us can look to be so incapable of scoring goals for so long. Lots of strikers have a drop in form and confidence, but its pushing on two seasons now.

I guess he hasn't played every game over that period, but he's had plenty of games and quite a few opportunities to make things happen or take a scoring chance that comes his way. He looks total devoid of confidence and is pretty much a waste of a shirt. It's such a disappointment. He was brought in as an Ings mark II, but the only similarity is his lack of height.

I was optimistic when we signed him after all had a good record at Blackburn.

Is this guy a striker or Winger ? Because he is abysmal at both...... 

Cant shoot, can't dribble 

What's the point of him being in the team.... 

• Like 1

I got the impression after Grimsby, RS said there would be players not wearing a Saints shirt again. Well, what was this clown doing wearing one yesterday? Really does add nothing, and even when going wide, he craps himself when someone comes within two yards of him. Total waste of a player and even more irritating is his strolling around doing half hearted presses.