Adam Armstrong

Harry_SFC

I was at Everton for his debut and thought he looked really sharp. Scored a great goal too. Since then his ability and confidence has completely gone. Just think he is out of his depth. I won’t call him personal names or call him out. He is just playing a standard too high 

• 5 months later...

One thing I’m liking at the moment is Martin seems to really like Adam Armstrong, it’s the first time really any of our managers have really put some faith in him and had him as first choice striker in a long time .

I think Armstrong is very much a confidence player, remember his lovely finish on his debut vs Everton? But after that it all seemed to go downhill and a lot of his appearances came out of position, and he looked a player shot on confidence ..

I just get the feeling RMs faith in him is gonna end up like a totally new signing and we might finally get the player we thought he was gonna be 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

One thing I’m liking at the moment is Martin seems to really like Adam Armstrong, it’s the first time really any of our managers have really put some faith in him and had him as first choice striker in a long time .

I think Armstrong is very much a confidence player, remember his lovely finish on his debut vs Everton? But after that it all seemed to go downhill and a lot of his appearances came out of position, and he looked a player shot on confidence ..

I just get the feeling RMs faith in him is gonna end up like a totally new signing and we might finally get the player we thought he was gonna be 

Converting the penalties will help his confidence too.

I'm really pleased for AA. He came here as a prolific goalscorer but we chose to play him in systems that were never designed to get the best out of him nor present him with many goal scoring chances. Not surprisingly he got a lot of stick and his confidence took a knock as it would anyone. He's never given in or hidden away so he deserves this change of fortune and long may it continue. RM believes in him and is being repaid for that so far.

• Like 11

I said at the end of last season, when many were clamoring to get rid of him, that he should be given a chance in the Championship (where he has done well before of course). Yes, he was pants in the PL, but as we all know the level is much lower in the league we are in now. Having goal scorers (in any division) is the main difference between the top teams and the also rans.

• Like 2

I’ve been a big critic, not of his effort but his ability. He’s not a prem player, but has enough ability for this division, and his commitment this season has been fantastic - last minute tackles, winning that header, driving at defences, great free kick - was my motm today and hoping this form continues.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, Hatch said:

still does my nut that not only is our worst player in the team,  but is actually captain as well!

It's like working in the public sector, rewarded and promoted for failure. I imagine there is a new contract on the horizon for him as well.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

He was absolutely honking for his two seasons in the EPL. Based on that, we have somehow elevated him to Jermaine Wright status of undroppable. We would probably play his at right back before he gets dropped. Why the club does shit like this I will never know. We did the same with Elyounoussi, we are doing the same with Smallbone. Players that become utterly undroppable despite consistently poor performances. In the first 20 minutes, I think 3 attacks broke down as soon as he got on the ball. Awful first touch, no notable pace or strength either. I would argue he was better in the second half cos at least he didn't touch the fucking ball!

I know he scored yesterday, and I know his stats show 5 goals and an assist already this season. But 2 of those were pens, and 1 he had no idea about. He breaks down more attacks then he contributes to

Edited by sydney_saint
  • Like 4

Just now, sydney_saint said:

He was absolutely honking for his two seasons in the EPL. Based on that, we have somehow elevated him to Jermaine Wright status of undroppable. We would probably play his at right back before he gets dropped. Why the club does shit like this I will never know. We did the same with Elyounoussi, we are doing the same with Smallbone. Players that become utterly undroppable despite consistently poor performances. In the first 20 minutes, I think 3 attacks broke down as soon as he got on the ball. Awful first touch, no notable pace or strength either. I would argue he was better in the second half cos at least he didn't touch the fucking ball!

I know he scored yesterday, and I know his stats show 5 goals and an assist already this season. But 2 of those were pens, and 1 he had no idea about. He breaks down more attacks then he contributes to

That's the key thing with him - his touch is just inept, I've never seen a pro player with as poor a touch as him. He's a hit and run merchant, throw him down the channels and he'll chase the ball. For a club priding it's self on becoming the next Man City/Barcelona that seems an incredibly basic player to have as part of it.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Hatch said:

still does my nut that not only is our worst player in the team,  but is actually captain as well!

Bazunu and Manning are far worse. The worst players in the league for their respective positions. Adam Armstrong isn’t great, but he’s outperforming some of the other jokers in our team. 

Edited by niceandfriendly

2 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

Bazunu and Manning are far worse. The worst players in the league for their respective positions. Adam Armstrong isn’t great, but he’s outperforming some of the other jokers in our team. 

Manning is a weird one, he didn't look this bad for Swansea. He got stacks of assists, he was up there with Ryan Giles as the most effective LWB in the league and in a few team of the seasons.

But again, we've made him worse. As expected. I don't think it's the players, it's just the club. Broken.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Manning is a weird one, he didn't look this bad for Swansea. He got stacks of assists, he was up there with Ryan Giles as the most effective LWB in the league and in a few team of the seasons.

But again, we've made him worse. As expected. I don't think it's the players, it's just the club. Broken.

Definitely weird. Alcaraz started great now looks lost. Sulemana can’t have always been this average? Aribo was  raved about in Scotland yet looks atrocious here. Armstrong smashed them in for Blackburn but looks like a semi-pro player at times. Downes too, loved at Swansea but has been terrible for us. What is going on?

Edited by niceandfriendly

28 minutes ago, Turkish said:

7 goals in 9 this season, is it fair to say he’s cooking in the championship? 👨‍🍳🍳👌

I think the deft little glancing header for his opening goal gave him the belief and he's gone from strength to strength.

• Haha 2

Joint top scorer for the league (unless the dubious goal panel take one off him). He’s not so bad after all! I like his work rate and his finishing yesterday was fantastic. Where has this calm finisher been? We are used to seeing him hit everything first time and hope. Maybe that’s just the difference in time you have in the championship. I also liked his QPR goal too. Don’t think he’s captain material but he’s contributed 8 goal contributions in 9 games, he deserves to be in the team more than most.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He is miles better playing from a wider position. His work rate supports this also

I expect when Stewart is fit he’ll play down the middle with Sully and Armstrong wide. A lot of goals in those 3 at this level. 

• Like 2

Amazing what a bit of confidence does. He seems like he has a lot of time in the box to take an extra touch and compose himself, which was his biggest issue in the PL.

Fair play as few players turn around a spell at a club after 2 poor seasons and he could easily have given up at Saints but seems like a good character and his work rate does set the tone from the front.

• Like 1

Outstanding player at this level. Not even just the goals, the way he chases lost causes, runs the channels and tracks back. Never understood why anyone was bothered about losing Adams. I can't see him getting a look when Stewart is fit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Amazing what a bit of confidence does. He seems like he has a lot of time in the box to take an extra touch and compose himself, which was his biggest issue in the PL.

Fair play as few players turn around a spell at a club after 2 poor seasons and he could easily have given up at Saints but seems like a good character and his work rate does set the tone from the front.

The extra time and space is the quality of the defending rather him being confident or suddenly turning himself around. I still wouldn't want him in our starting line up if we got promoted.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

This is it with him I think . He started great with us .. then was in and out the team under Ralph. His confidence then looked shot.. 

martin is the first manager who’s really put faith in him since he’s been with us and now we are starting to see what he can he do .. our results this season are a lot better with him in the team and not with che starting .

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Challenger said:

He seemed a lot better when Tella was on the pitch with him. Reverted back to normal after his departure.

Think he was just playing for a move in reality, shame because it looked like he was going to be a force in this league for us this season. 

Fuck him off in January if he doesn’t want to be here, we’ve got Stewart now anyway and Armstrong scoring for fun. 

On 01/10/2023 at 11:17, goodymatt said:

Joint top scorer for the league (unless the dubious goal panel take one off him). He’s not so bad after all! I like his work rate and his finishing yesterday was fantastic. Where has this calm finisher been? We are used to seeing him hit everything first time and hope. Maybe that’s just the difference in time you have in the championship. I also liked his QPR goal too. Don’t think he’s captain material but he’s contributed 8 goal contributions in 9 games, he deserves to be in the team more than most.

This .....is only a temporary measure as Jack Stephens was appointed at the start of the season.  Will certainly revert when he's back from injury.

Adam has the armband based on his contributions to the team, in a league where he played and has excelled in the past.

His previous much-criticised form was in part because  Che Adams was always made first choice striker, and Adam A.  had to be out on left wing when he played.

He also moves around a lot and is best-suited to the deeper role, and has also made important defensive tackles on several occasions. 

Hard to see anyone else as a better short-term appointment.

• Like 1

On 24/09/2023 at 12:12, S-Clarke said:

The club maybe broken,but the team also need to be coached properly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

This is his level. Also looks better when playing more as an inside forward rather than an out and out striker.

I’d argue we didn’t give him much of a run in the prem whilst with Adams we did and totally know what he’s good and bad at ..

you can tell Armstrong is a confidence player .. with the manager fully believing in him I think he’s gonna really light up 

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I’d argue we didn’t give him much of a run in the prem whilst with Adams we did and totally know what he’s good and bad at ..

you can tell Armstrong is a confidence player .. with the manager fully believing in him I think he’s gonna really light up 

I agree that he's a confidence player but to say that we didn't give him a run in the premier league isn't true. He played 53 matches over two seasons and looked very average. Granted the team wasn't performing which wouldn't have helped.

There is more time and space in this league and it's clear the defending isn't as good. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

This is his level. Also looks better when playing more as an inside forward rather than an out and out striker.

Is it? He's had one good season in The Championship. I shared a house with a Birmingham fan at the time they had him and he did not rate him one bit even at that level.