Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

33 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

No I think its two seperate clauses, a buy back OR a sell on fee (around 20%)

I think rallyboy was asking if City got 20% of the full £50m or 20% of the £40m(£50m - £10m we paid for him).

3 hours ago, revolution saint said:

The irony is that in two years half the players we're now clamouring to sign will be the ones we're clamouring to just get rid of even if it means taking a financial hit.

If... if things go as planned.

18 minutes ago, aintforever said:

When are we actually going to start sorting out the squad then?

will likely be a lot of movement in late, late August.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

It's not a lack of urgency its just the situation we are in.

The players we desperately want rid of are extremely hard to move on because they aren't very good(so won't be a priority for others) and are highly paid (making less clubs interested)

The players we'd prefer to keep we don't want to sell for under our market value.

Of course getting the business done early could cost us but there is value in having a settled team going into the first game. A bad start could easily cost us promotion.

Edited by aintforever
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I agree, just don’t get the lack of urgency in getting shot of players that are obviously going to leave. We should be fine tuning the team now not playing warm up games with a team that will completely change come through end of the window imo.

Where is lack of urgency? Martin has said we know who we want, some players are aware .

we just can’t shift players because we want to can we not everyone is as gullible as us last season for dross

• Like 3

Just now, aintforever said:

Of course getting the business done early could cost us but There is value in having a settled team going into the first game. A bad start could easily cost us promotion.

we gave up any opportunity when we spent a fuck load in January and got relegated.

The fact we have signed two players and spent £10m already despite offloading very few is bloody brilliant IMO.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Of course getting the business done early could cost us but there is value in having a settled team going into the first game. A bad start could easily cost us promotion.

I mean… we have… we wanted Charles and Manning… we bought both even before the planned sales because we didn’t want to lose out… 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Ahh.. yeah not sure on that one

It's usually stated as profit, but who knows. It would harsh buying a player for £10m, sell him for £5m and still have to give the original club a million of that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I mean… we have… we wanted Charles and Manning… we bought both even before the planned sales because we didn’t want to lose out… 

True. But if we are going to flog JWP, Tino and Lavia etc and build a new side I would probably take a hit and just get it done. 

4 minutes ago, aintforever said:

True. But if we are going to flog JWP, Tino and Lavia etc and build a new side I would probably take a hit and just get it done. 

Well, not really, I mean we’ve signed Charles to replace Lavia… Tino is great if he stays, if he doesn’t then we have 2 x adequate RBs

JWP… yeah, but I imagine the hope there is he stays… tbh with how Smallbone is playing Im less bothered about a CM, without JWP I think it will be Charles/Smallbone/Alcaraz but in that scenario Id expect a further CM to come in

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Nonsense Burnley had a dreadful start last season.

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

I agree, just don’t get the lack of urgency in getting shot of players that are obviously going to leave. We should be fine tuning the team now not playing warm up games with a team that will completely change come through end of the window imo.

In situations the club simply can't win.

Scenario 1 - We've got rid of all the players, it's a fire sale FFS

Scenario 2 - We're holding out for the fee we want, no less. Club is showing no urgency etc etc.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

they had more than their fair share of draws early doors to be fair

Yes but worth bearing in mind that if we lose say three of our first five games, it will be a bit of a battle for automatic promotion. Not impossible of course but we could mess things up early doors. 

Not surprised we haven't offload our `unwanted' players yet. No club ever can get rid of that type of player easily or quickly. If it all happened tomorrow that would be brilliant, but it will be last week of the window for many of them.

It will all work out in the end. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Not surprised we haven't offload our `unwanted' players yet. No club ever can get rid of that type of player easily or quickly. If it all happened tomorrow that would be brilliant, but it will be last week of the window for many of them.

It will all work out in the end. 

Transfers usually trickle through during July, before a late splurge in the final few weeks of August as clubs realise it's now or never (both sellers and buyers).

It's a weird situation in that we will likely end up starting the Sheffield Wednesday game with 2 or 3 players who aren't here in September. 

Edited by S-Clarke

13 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yes but worth bearing in mind that if we lose say three of our first five games, it will be a bit of a battle for automatic promotion. Not impossible of course but we could mess things up early doors. 

Can easily see us doing that. From what I have seen in preseason, we haven't shaken the losing mentality or gained any spirit and mostly still the same old problems going unaddressed. Really hope to be proved wrong.

2 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Can easily see us doing that. From what I have seen in preseason, we haven't shaken the losing mentality or gained any spirit and mostly still the same old problems going unaddressed. Really hope to be proved wrong.

Sadly the same bad smells are still lingering, Moussa, Lyanco, McCarthy etc - need to get the crap shifted, then we'll have a fresher feel without all the baggage. It's going to be a pretty mental August I think, strap yourselves in!

5 hours ago, revolution saint said:

On the face of it you've got a bloke who didn't really have an exceptional scoring record in Scotland (albeit apparently used out on the wing for some of that time) who had a purple patch in L1 and seemed to do OK in the championship until his injury.  It's not the most exciting link we could have had although it's probably one of the cheapest options.

Classic moneyball buy. Let’s hope he’s another Sir Rickie. 

19 minutes ago, Wimborne_saint said:

According to Alan Nixon, we have rejected a £9m bid from Burnley for Tella... 

£9M?!!!! 🤣

That’s the kind of bid that results in people not taking your calls. Good news from our perspective cos it shows Burnley aren’t serious about Tella.

• Like 1

Apparently Hendo has made an emotional farewell video to Liverpool fans. 

Probably the greatestest farewell video of all time, its viewing figures will outstrip Barbie and Openheimer combined.

No doubt NIvea will be sorry to see him leave these shores, but otherwise Fuck Off. And good luck with your rainbow laces in Saudi.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

That’s the kind of bid that results in people not taking your calls. Good news from our perspective cos it shows Burnley aren’t serious about Tella.

We should absolutely keep him. Even if we get the £20 million for him. He's not angling for a move (yet at least), has a great Championship season under his belt and we're going to lose plenty of talent by the end of the window too so keeping Tella could be the difference between top 2 and the rest. Yes there's the allure of the Prem and I'm sure £20 million will do it but still... I'd keep him. They can do one for 9 mill though. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SNSUN said:

We should absolutely keep him. Even if we get the £20 million for him. He's not angling for a move (yet at least), has a great Championship season under his belt and we're going to lose plenty of talent by the end of the window too so keeping Tella could be the difference between top 2 and the rest. Yes there's the allure of the Prem and I'm sure £20 million will do it but still... I'd keep him. They can do one for 9 mill though. 

Exactly, 9M doesn’t even get you a kid from Man City. It’s a bit of an insult to Tella as well. In fact if they’re going in with unrealistic bids then they might as well chuck the same in for Mbappe.

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Won’t have to wait long to see if it’s true. Chelsea have a horde of well-connected media peeps.

He'd do very well under Poch. And they'd pay proper money. Hopefully it's the start of a bidding war. 

• Like 4

Lavia has looked absolute class, even with Mad Nate and Reuben Selles coaching him. Just imagine how frighteningly good he could become with some decent coaching and world class team mates around him. Regrettably, he's obviously going to leave us soon, but I sincerely hope we stick it out for "top dollar" with sell on clauses for him, and then watch him rise to the absolute top, to become a £100m + player - and good luck to him.  

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Depends what you mean by dreadful. Didn't they lose 4 games all year? 

First 12 games - won 4 drawn 7 lost 1 = 19 points

Next 34 games - won 25 drawn 7 lost 2 = 82 points.

On the first day of the season, we didn't have Tella, Zaroury, Benson or Beyer.  It definitely took time to get up to full speed, so if we hadn't been so good might have been a problem.  (West Brom and Middlesbrough made poor starts as well, and never caught up.)

As for chasing Tella, Nixon (believed by some to be the fount of all wisdom about Burnley) reckons the bid is £9m and Southampton want £13m-£15m.  Make of that what you will.

• Like 4