Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23684925.wilcox-updates-southampton-reject-first-ward-prowse-transfer-bid/

Wilcox goes into a fair amount of detail here, and although a lot will be PR pieces it marries up with what Id heard and said on here at the start of pre season

The club is comfortable in its position and will only sell if values are met.. which.. as a Saints fan.. is incredibly refreshing considering where we were under ‘Anyone can go’ Semmens

• Like 13

17 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23684925.wilcox-updates-southampton-reject-first-ward-prowse-transfer-bid/

Wilcox goes into a fair amount of detail here, and although a lot will be PR pieces it marries up with what Id heard and said on here at the start of pre season

The club is comfortable in its position and will only sell if values are met.. which.. as a Saints fan.. is incredibly refreshing considering where we were under ‘Anyone can go’ Semmens

Not entirely Semmen's fault of course. Despite relegation, I think we can consider ourselves fortunate to have the owner that we have. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Not entirely Semmen's fault of course. Despite relegation, I think we can consider ourselves fortunate to have the owner that we have. 

Not entirely no, I think he did an ok job, but towards the end was more of a hindrance to the SR project and needed to go

I think unfortunately he allowed the club to regress probably quicker then it should of done under his guidance, and really was only luck/Ralph that kept us up

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Not entirely no, I think he did an ok job, but towards the end was more of a hindrance to the SR project and needed to go

I think unfortunately he allowed the club to regress probably quicker then it should of done under his guidance, and really was only luck/Ralph that kept us up

I agree with that but his responsibility is mitigated by the fact that we had no money. At the time I knew quite a few people who worked at the club and he was a popular guy. 

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I agree with that but his responsibility is mitigated by the fact that we had no money. At the time I knew quite a few people who worked at the club and he was a popular guy. 

He was, he wss a nice guy, probably too nice to be in the position he was in, I just think he let a lot of the backroom stuff decline and allowed a slack attitude to set in by not keeping standards/aims high

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, benali-shorts said:

Exactly the sort of article which typically precedes a contract extension. Lovely work by his agent. 

Hope that’s all it is. One year left. Was one of our best players v Bournemouth. Big year for him. Hopefully for us. Ps West Ham are almost as insulting as Liverpool. 

• Like 1

£17m plus add ons in today’s market is a bang average player who had a decent championship campaign.

This is our captain on a long term contract, record PL appearance holder for Saints, with a world class free kick talent. Lots of experience, has been in and around England team, and is rarely injured. His goal contribution numbers from deep midfield are also pretty good!

It really is a laughable bid, much like the £9m bid for Tella.

• Like 14

13 hours ago, bugenhagen said:

Sure, we probably won't sell him for less, I agree. Just think agents have a lot more influence on deals, but they are rarely mentioned on here ;) If Liverpool ups their bid it can probably be done quickly, or else it may take time. The agent is talking with all parties and knows how a deal can be struck.

21 minutes ago, goneawol said:

He’s looked very good in pre season and is probably more suited to Martins midfield then most, arguably I think he is the reason why we’ve not pushed for the likes of Grimes etc

Personally Id rather resist a sale, it’s unlikely we’ll command fee’s north of 10m so, like Wilcox was saying in the echo interview, it goes down to weighing up the situation, Id rather he walked on a free next year, then trying to find an equivalent player, around 10m that we can integrate quickly

• Like 2

On 26/07/2023 at 23:16, saintant said:

Found our goalie! Yahia Fofana plays for Angers in French league. He's 22 and looks fantastic and wouldn't cost much. Just checked out his skills videos and he is superb in the air, very commanding,  a great sweeper keeper, good shot stopper and his distribution looks excellent. Get him signed.

Looks decent to be honest. Commanding, brave, good handling and distribution.

• Like 1

On 26/07/2023 at 23:16, saintant said:

Found our goalie! Yahia Fofana plays for Angers in French league. He's 22 and looks fantastic and wouldn't cost much. Just checked out his skills videos and he is superb in the air, very commanding,  a great sweeper keeper, good shot stopper and his distribution looks excellent. Get him signed.

I'd like us to sign Woodman. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Don’t really want someone nice/popular in charge 

Would prefer smart/tough/ruthless. 

1 hour ago, SaintsFan86 said:

West Ham offering £17Million plus £3Million in add ons. They can fuck off!

For JWP. And even the passionate West Ham fanzine have described it as "insulting" - a day after they were calling on Saints "to get real for a 28yo".

They have turned into Spurs. They will probably come in at £25M on deadline day as a last resort.

I think £125M would be more reasonable. JWP can play DM, as a number 10, or right wing. Declan Rice can't, and he went for £105M. So go over £100M and we'll consider it.

😀

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Might have been with Downes maybe? 

I'd be only willing to sell if they throw Downes in (even if its just a season loan with an option). As many have pointed out, we don't need the money (I'm not sure I believe it, but thats the negotiating line the club are taking), but someone like Downes would be the missing bit in our midfield next season. Great player, who'll make us more solid defensively. 

The way things are moving in the transfer market it’s difficult not to imagine a selection problem for Martin in the early stages of the season. I’d be wanting to field my strongest team at Wednesday, however does he do that or leave out Lavia, JWP, Tino etc. in favour of starting to gel the longer-term team? Yes, for me it’s go with the strongest players as points on the board early doors will provide a buffer and increase squad/supporter moral before any possible outgoings (or indeed incomings needing to get up to speed with the system).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

The way things are moving in the transfer market it’s difficult not to imagine a selection problem for Martin in the early stages of the season. I’d be wanting to field my strongest team at Wednesday, however does he do that or leave out Lavia, JWP, Tino etc. in favour of starting to gel the longer-term team? Yes, for me it’s go with the strongest players as points on the board early doors will provide a buffer and increase squad/supporter moral before any possible outgoings (or indeed incomings needing to get up to speed with the system).

Absolutely right.

Unless deals are at advanced stages, or their heads aren't in the right space, then not playing them is simply us waiving the white flag so to speak.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I'd definitely include JWP.  Lavia hasn't featured so much and wasn't that good against Bournemouth - besides which we already have his replacement in Charles.  Would need to play with one of Tino or KWP at right back too.  So I'd only drop Lavia because he's the only one we can be pretty sure won't be here (and we don't want injured).  Everyone else plays on merit regardless of rumours.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

No to Lavia, yes to JWP. 

Tino.. Not sure, i'm probably starting KWP regardless. 

But its an interesting point and one of the reasons I've been banging on about just getting deals done for the lesser players and taking a hit. At some point we need to start thinking about who is going to be in our squad come next season. Even if available, I'd be leaving anyone who's not willing to stay here at home (and tell them to not bother coming to the training ground). Regardless of who they are. 

12 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

For JWP. And even the passionate West Ham fanzine have described it as "insulting" - a day after they were calling on Saints "to get real for a 28yo".

They have turned into Spurs. They will probably come in at £25M on deadline day as a last resort.

I think £125M would be more reasonable. JWP can play DM, as a number 10, or right wing. Declan Rice can't, and he went for £105M. So go over £100M and we'll consider it.

😀

West Ham fans on KUMB seem to think it is more than fair. Take this comment for example:

I Think 17m is a good starting point for JWP. Why over pay for british players if there isn't much competition for them? Im sure Southampton want to sell JWP beacause they are in the championship. Then dont we as buyers dictate his price to a certain degree who are we competing with?

• Haha 3

If we do have replacements lined up - may as well play them until they leave, unless they don’t want to play and will phone it in. Lavia seems closest to leaving (ie agree terms with another club) so I’d be tempted to leave him out, but play the rest.

1 minute ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

West Ham fans on KUMB seem to think it is more than fair. Take this comment for example:

I Think 17m is a good starting point for JWP. Why over pay for british players if there isn't much competition for them? Im sure Southampton want to sell JWP beacause they are in the championship. Then dont we as buyers dictate his price to a certain degree who are we competing with?

Its going to be really amusing when revisiting that thread come the end of the season. I can't wait to see how the West Ham fans take to him when they realise he's basically just a posher version of Mark Noble who has a decent free kick. 

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

It really is a laughable bid, much like the £9m bid for Tella.

I don't know how bright or sensitive the Tella lad is but an offer of only £9m from a club that he did well for last year and purports to see him as a key figure in their future plans is such a personal insult that really it should be the end of any relationship he had or imagines he had with the northern club.

If Saints value you at £20m, Nathan, it's not rocket science to work out who wants you most. Clear your head and see it for what it is.

• Like 2

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Hmm really not sure about this if true. Do we really want another youngster? 

On first thought you’d have feel underwhelmed by a 19 year old, however the interesting part is that it’s expected that he’s able to command a 1st team place, plus he’s from Arsenals squad so can’t be too shabby. For us in the Championship it’s probably a good move to replace ABK and Salisu.

2 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

You've seen him play before?

It's widely accepted that one of the big problems with our squad last year was the lack of experience to complement the youngsters. We've brought Manning in which is great and possibly Tella who has a season of experience under his belt, but the squad badly needs some experience in it in order to do well. 

• Like 1