Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

11 hours ago, Dellman said:

The language of an historian?

Sorry are you saying historians shouldn’t swear? 😳 That being said I come on here first and foremost as a fan. And as a fan I was appalled at Salisu’s “attitude” last season as the club fought against relegation. To down tools as he did in our moment of need was unforgivable. God knows what some of the true legends such as Terry Paine or Mick Channon would have made of such behaviour. But I tell you one thing - had you asked for their opinion there would have been more than one expletive used in their reply. 

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, Nolan said:

Just looking down the Man City twitter feed, a lot of them rate Oscar Bobb very very highly.

Thanks - no idea where the rumour came from but if he is a left sided attacking midfielder then sign me up.

He scored 10 goals and 15 assists for city last season so would be guess he's more alcaraz then smallbone as a midfielder.

https://footystats.org/players/norway/oscar-bobb#:~:text=Oscar Bobb has scored 10,is 25 for this season.

Would probably cost a bob or two.

Assumed city would keep him given he's on their tour.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Thanks - no idea where the rumour came from but if he is a left sided attacking midfielder who can beat a man and also play on the left side then sign me up (SAA is on the right)

He scored 10 goals and 15 assists for city last season so would be guess he's more alcaraz then smallbone as a midfielder.

https://footystats.org/players/norway/oscar-bobb#:~:text=Oscar Bobb has scored 10,is 25 for this season.

Would probably cost a bob or two.

He's left footed, and likes to play on the right, cutting inside. He's equally adapt qt playing in that 10 position too. Interesting, but I wouldn't get to excited yet.

I imagine he'd be expensive, £15/20Million. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, qwertyell said:

I suppose there's two schools of thought.

Either Chris Hughton (his international manager), Ruben Selles (his club manager), and Salisu himself were telling the truth when they stated that he was injured (based on the substance of either working with him or actually being him).

Or some random internet nomarks have uncovered an inexplicable conspiracy of lies (based on some twitter innuendo). 

I wonder which of our other injuries over the course of the season weren't really injuries. Perhaps if I blocked out the microwaves with a tinfoil hat the answers would present themselves.

I’m going with the internet rumours and discounting the opinions of two terrible managers and a shithouse player.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

He's left footed, and likes to play on the right, cutting inside. He's equally adapt qt playing in that 10 position too. Interesting, but I wouldn't get to excited yet.

If we drop £15/£20m on a lad who's never played men's football, SR have gone truly nuts. The collective spend on Baz, Larios, and Edozie was bad enough. I'm hopeful there's more common sense being employed in our decision making department now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, egg said:

If we drop £15/£20m on a lad who's never played men's football, SR have gone truly nuts. The collective spend on Baz, Larios, and Edozie was bad enough. I'm hopeful there's more common sense being employed in our decision making department now. 

Personally I think a loan to buy based on promotion would be smart here if Saints are genuinely interested in the player.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, egg said:

Is there an actual link other than he’s a Man City kid who is good?

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Is there an actual link other than he’s a Man City kid who is good?

Not sure mate. The usual twitter stuff, but any rumour that we want to buy a city kid who's never played men's football is probably credible! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chez said:

Players can be wankers. Is it not the job of the manager to 'manage' them? A decent manager might be able to inspire and coax the best out of him. 

A decent manager should identify someone who is a waste of time and get rid - far too much time is wasted on disruptive wankers on the basis that they have bags of talent. Im really struggling to think of many cases where a manager has managed to inspire and coax the best out of someone like that in the long term.

• Like 1

I think we need to move for Piroe. Sounds like Leeds interested too so getting him also takes him away from a potential promotion rival. We desperately need a striker and RM knows him well.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Maybe our tella replacement if he goes. 

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

I’m going with the internet rumours and discounting the opinions of two terrible managers and a shithouse player.

The quality of the managers isn't relevent to anything.

Do you - presumably an actual grown up - genuinely believe that Chris Hughton called up Salisu for an important international game, trained with him for a few days when he travelled all the way out to Ghana to join the squad, decided along with the national team's medical department that Salisu, his starting centre back, was fit as fiddle, but then elected to send him home anyway and concoct a lie to tell the media about him being injured? Why would he do that?

Have there been "internet rumours" about the integrity of one of the most respected individuals in the English game?

Edited by qwertyell

27 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Am I the only one who knows nothing about Piroe? He could be absolutely shite for all I know. I haven't bothered looking into him because we haven't been seriously linked and I don't dbt want to get my hopes up. 

20  goals last season for Swansea, 22 the previous season

Edited by waylander

47 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Do you - presumably an actual grown up - genuinely believe that Chris Hughton called up Salisu for an important international game, trained with him for a few days when he travelled all the way out to Ghana to join the squad, decided along with the national team's medical department that Salisu, his starting centre back, was fit as fiddle, but then elected to send him home anyway and concoct a lie to tell the media about him being injured? Why would he do that?

Have there been "internet rumours" about the integrity of one of the most respected individuals in the English game?

No one is disputing Salisu’s abilities as a player. On his day he is right up there but he has a history of throwing his toys out of the pram going back to a refusal to play for Ghana and only relenting when he was told he would start for them in the WC. It seems he was calling the shots which further suggests Hughton has one hand tied behind his back. As for his attitude at St Mary’s as he was deemed if I recall “not in the right frame of mind” plenty of respected commentators (Blackmore, Tanswell and House) inferred his absence was not owing to an injury. It might have suited Salisu to hide behind this excuse (not wishing to put off future suitors) but I can think of hundreds of ex-Saints who would have gladly played on one leg to help us in our hour of need, a characteristic severely lacking in Salisu’s make-up. 

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Ok , flippancy aside, I think Saliisu’s “unfitness “ is probably not physical. So, yes, I do think he, and Selles, and anyone else in their position would “concoct a lie” to deflect away from other issues.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

No one is disputing Salisu’s abilities as a player. On his day he is right up there but he has a history of throwing his toys out of the pram going back to a refusal to play for Senegal and only relenting when he was told he would start for them in the WC. It seems he was calling the shots which further suggests Hughton has one hand tied behind his back. As for his attitude at St Mary’s as he was deemed if I recall “not in the right frame of mind” plenty of respected commentators (Blackmore, Tanswell and House) inferred his absence was not owing to an injury. It might have suited Salisu to hide behind this excuse (not wishing to put off future suitors) but I can think of hundreds of ex-Saints who would have gladly played on one leg to help us in our hour of need, a characteristic severely lacking in Salisu’s make-up. 

I do agree with this, although I’d refuse to play for Senegal if I was from Ghana 🇬🇭 🤭

Still pleased if we get a decent fee. Happy days. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

16 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

On his day he is right up there but he has a history of throwing his toys out of the pram going back to a refusal to play for Senegal and only relenting when he was told he would start for them in the WC

Um, I thought you were the club history guy? Salisu is from Ghana.

49 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Am I the only one who knows nothing about Piroe? He could be absolutely shite for all I know. I haven't bothered looking into him because we haven't been seriously linked and I don't dbt want to get my hopes up. 

Left footed but good finisher with his right foot also. Lots of goals from around the edge of the area.

When I have seen him play (just a few times) he strikes me as just being a good technical player rather than having any particularly standout physical attributes.

Certainly not a traditional no9, possibly a little similar in style (obviously not quality) to Robin van Persie.

If we do want him then you would think the Martin link would be a significant factor given his best goal returns have come under RM. Unless of course there is top level interest. One thing for sure, zero chance Swansea will allow him to run his contract down and leave for free next summer.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Left footed but good finisher with his right foot also. Lots of goals from around the edge of the area.

When I have seen him play (just a few times) he strikes me as just being a good technical player rather than having any particularly standout physical attributes.

Certainly not a traditional no9, possibly a little similar in style (obviously not quality) to Robin van Persie.

If we do want him then you would think the Martin link would be a significant factor given his best goal returns have come under RM. Unless of course there is top level interest. One thing for sure, zero chance Swansea will allow him to run his contract down and leave for free next summer.

They may be keen to strike up a bidding war between us and Leeds. I know we have the finances anyway but now we are getting near on £40 million for Lavia and possibly £30 million for JWP. No doubt we could beat them to him if we are interested. 

13 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

They may be keen to strike up a bidding war between us and Leeds. I know we have the finances anyway but now we are getting near on £40 million for Lavia and possibly £30 million for JWP. No doubt we could beat them to him if we are interested. 

I don't think bidding wars really happen these days as the bids are made to clubs usually once the player has already decided where to go, as in the case of Lavia.

If we are looking at getting £10-£15m for Adams who has a year left then I think the similar would be appropriate for Piroe.

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

The video showing his goals shows some really nice finishes and he has obviously scored a few. Despite that, no Prem side seems interested. Seeing as we are championship perhaps that doesn't matter, but he possibly lacks a yard of pace?

12 minutes ago, Chez said:

The video showing his goals shows some really nice finishes and he has obviously scored a few. Despite that, no Prem side seems interested. Seeing as we are championship perhaps that doesn't matter, but he possibly lacks a yard of pace?

Have been links to Everton but ditto for Che, Che strikes me as more of a Dyche player and possibly slightly cheaper. 

3 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

I’m sceptical, but we have a more informed opinion with Wilcox on board.

Wilcox will have a great idea of whats at Mancity, we have gone to that well before and will continue too. Why not, when they have such a talent in the youth, even Pepe is impressed.

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola said the talent at the club's academy is "exceptional" after his side beat Bayern Munich 2-1 in Tokyo.

"It's unbelievable - the guys who are in charge and the recruitment," Guardiola told the club's website.

"The new generation is coming and they told me it is really good. There are three or four players that are exceptional."

From the fans forum:

McAtee did OK I thought gomez palmer and bobb. where a lot better

Bobb - McAtee - Palmer:
I thought Palmer, McAtee & Bobb showed some nice flashes, but none showed they were ready to step up in a meaningful way for next season. Palmer needs a full PL season on loan at a club with no pressure for trophies, as he made little impact when given his chances last season, hence why he played so little.

Perhaps Bobb & McAtee should be afforded the opportunity to impress as Palmer had, but I'm not relying on either to contribute massively. Let them remain, but temper our expectations.

Perrone:
Perrone on the other hand seriously impressed me with the few minutes he was given. You can see there's a quality player in there & I'd love to see him being given a half against Atletico. I've seen him 3-4 times now & he's deffo one to keep & develop, as he has HUGE potential!

Lewis:
I've made no secret that Lewis is one of my favourite players at City, & the high expectations I have for him. He's supposedly a RB, but he's played the inverted FB role from both sides of defence, LB, double pivot & as a No 8.

Folks, we've got a Made in Manchester version of Lahm & Kimmich, & I don't say this lightly! Lewis has excelled in every position he's been asked to play in both the PL & CL at such a young age, & is BY FAR our most promising homegrown talent since the emergence of Phil Foden.

• Like 1