Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

We are all expecting/hoping to sell at least ABK, Salisu, Lyanco and DCC.

We will need to sign new CBs.

Not all of them will be starting XI every week type signings.

Wilcox knows the pool of good academy players better than most so if he thinks he will add to the squad then I'm sure he will.

Low risk signing and exactly the kind that, alongside some more established types, we should be looking to make.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dusic said:

We are all expecting/hoping to sell at least ABK, Salisu, Lyanco and DCC.

We will need to sign new CBs.

Not all of them will be starting XI every week type signings.

Wilcox knows the pool of good academy players better than most so if he thinks he will add to the squad then I'm sure he will.

Low risk signing and exactly the kind that, alongside some more established types, we should be looking to make.

I'll be happier when we make the established experienced signings. Last year we were all a bit guilty of falling for some of the hype. We are a year wiser... 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 2

I'm all for it. We obviously had to move on this deal as he had many admirers. Low cost, low risk.

As others have pointed out, we still need some experience brought into the squad and I think we will once Lavia, JWP, Sulemana etc leave.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, InvictaSaint said:

Tactically Matt reporting on Twitter that Bednarek hasn’t been at Staplewood all week. No reason given….

Looked like he picked up a knock during the first half at Reading, then was subbed at half time (the only half time sub made so didn't appear pre-arranged.)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

Tactically Matt reporting on Twitter that Bednarek hasn’t been at Staplewood all week. No reason given….

Another non story like the JWP post

Bednarek got injured vs Reading, I really don’t think there is a lot in it really

Edited by Smirking_Saint

3 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

Shame if he leaves IMO. He's a liability at Premier League level, but he'd be more than capable in the Championship.

I'd let Lyanco, Stephens and Salisu go before him.

Saying that, he doesn't fit with Martins "ball playing CB" mantra, but neither do the rest of our CB's.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sfcphilc said:

Shame if he leaves IMO. He's a liability at Premier League level, but he'd be more than capable in the Championship.

Saying that, he doesn't fit with Martins "ball playing CB" mantra, but neither do the rest of our CB's.

Exactly this - none of the current CBs fit this style. We need to replace them all if we want CBs who are happy with the ball at their feet, playing passes etc.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

The physio rooms not at Staplewood then? 

Yeah but we don’t know the extent of the injury, whether its being treated elsewhere, whether its just a time related ‘resting’ rehab

Maybe he is getting early or late treatments ? Maybe they’ve decided the training ground is too busy so to treat elsewhere ? Maybe of course its transfer related ?

Its just another simple tweet from him, like JWP, with zero depth designed to increase engagement with little effort

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

I actually think he is the best of those here in terms of ball playing, aswell as actual defending so would be a shame if he left

3 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Yeah but we don’t know the extent of the injury, whether its being treated elsewhere, whether its just a time related ‘resting’ rehab

Maybe he is getting early or late treatments ? Maybe they’ve decided the training ground is too busy so to treat elsewhere ? Maybe of course its transfer related ?

Its just another simple tweet from him, like JWP, with zero depth designed to increase engagement with little effort

I generally didn't know if they were or not. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/article/zach-awe-202223-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

Bit of detail on Zach Awe.  Never heard of him so I can't really comment.

Sounds fairly promising. Imagine we're signing him as a bench player to start getting minutes as a sub with a view to pushing into the first team 11 over the course of the season.

image.png.1f145a4a57de4da09f4979269084a545.png

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's widely accepted that one of the big problems with our squad last year was the lack of experience to complement the youngsters. We've brought Manning in which is great and possibly Tella who has a season of experience under his belt, but the squad badly needs some experience in it in order to do well. 

Never get this, where I sit it was 'widely accepted' that the main problem was that the older players were crap and the coaching was very poor.

Most teams put out did not have that many youngsters in them.

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Exactly this - none of the current CBs fit this style. We need to replace them all if we want CBs who are happy with the ball at their feet, playing passes etc.

Or we could actually play a style and system that suits the players we have at our disposal, rather than the 'square pegs and round holes' policy we've seen with our last few managers. If Martin is sacked by Christmas, we'll be looking for 11 new starters to fit his replacements style of playing....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I actually think he is the best of those here in terms of ball playing, aswell as actual defending so would be a shame if he left

I think Stephens is better than bedders at both personally. 

I’d be happy to see Bednarek go. I think he’s toilet 

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

17 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

Or we could actually play a style and system that suits the players we have at our disposal, rather than the 'square pegs and round holes' policy we've seen with our last few managers. If Martin is sacked by Christmas, we'll be looking for 11 new starters to fit his replacements style of playing....

Is there a style that suits our defenders?

1 hour ago, Osvaldorama said:

I think Stephens is better than bedders at both personally. 

I’d be happy to see Bednarek go. I think he’s toilet 

Its always been a bit baffling for me but I think it always highlights how fans will side towards a player they consider homegrown or one that shows a bit of steel (Lyanco) despite clearly being limited

On metrics alone, and I appreciate they do not show the full picture but Bednareks stats are better than Stephens, and for me its backed up by what I see on the pitch, both players are limited, but Stephens, for me, is the more limited

Interestingly too, until the fallout between JB and RH he survived successive team changes and was often picked ahead of others by management. We’ve actually had JS up for sale for 2 years now, with only Bournemouth showing interest (and ending it after his loan spell was unsuccessful). Bednarek was also the name recalled by Jones in January (and subsequently was one of our best performers (in a shit team))

I think overall though the JS vs JB debate shows just how much of a rot had set in within our defensive ranks over the years

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Bedders is the best at ball playing?! This is a new low for professional football

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bob60 said:

Never get this, where I sit it was 'widely accepted' that the main problem was that the older players were crap and the coaching was very poor.

Most teams put out did not have that many youngsters in them.

Yes. We didn't buy much experience last year that was any good. The good players we did buy had no experience in the prem and certainly no experience of dealing with a relegation battle. We had zero craft and guile in that respect. 

Edited by hypochondriac

As Hanson said you can't win the league with kids. We were bullied last season, let alone in the Championship where the players are more physical and the refs of a low standard. Im all for having young players in the team but we also need some minders 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, OldNick said:

As Hanson said you can't win the league with kids. We were bullied last season, let alone in the Championship where the players are more physical and the refs of a low standard. Im all for having young players in the team but we also need some minders 

Our ‘experienced’ guys have always been terrible buys, and generally our youth buys have always been decent

Compare ABK to DCC, AMN to Lavia, fucking anybody to Aribo/Onuachu

Its not experience we need, we need stronger mentalities across the board.. wherever they come from.. we’ve missed that since Fonte and to a lesser extent VVD

• Like 4

Our ‘experienced’ guys have always been terrible buys, and generally our youth buys have always been decent

Its not experience we need, we need stronger mentalities across the board.. wherever they come from.. we’ve missed that since Fonte and to a lesser extent VVD

We need more players like Manning. A player of quality who has experience in this league, can play the way the manager wants and is untainted by last year. 

• Like 6

Romeu would have have something to say about that I suggest. Hurlock , Jimmy Case type figures protected the wonderful youth we had coming through with MLT Shearer and the Wallaces. You need a mix of quality and some steel. I agree though that some of our older players do not hve the mentality. Not sure JWP puts fear into opposing players, and I still cant get over how Caleta Carr let that Newcastle disrespect him and our fans by just wlaking on and not lamping him. Im sure we would have al ot more respect had he done

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, OldNick said:

A comment which aged well as United won the league that season i believe. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

According to reports, we're interested in Foo-Kin Gno Wan. 

I'd be interested to see if Awe is another Simeu. Simeu was signed with some promise from Chelsea and has been loaned out three times and doesn't look like he's going to make it at 21. (Mind you we're going to be very short of CBs if we ship out the ones we expect so...)

5 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

And didn’t Arsenal have the youngest or second youngest squad in the league last season?

3 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Yep, but 

it was actually a bit of myth to be fair, the spine of that side was proven winners with experience. Schmicheal, Irwin, Bruce, Pallister, Cantona, Cole, then Mcclair, May, Paul Parker as part of the squad even younger players like Roy Keane, Ryan Giggs and Lee Sharpe had all had premier league winners medals when Hansen said that. What Man United didn't do was spunk more than they'd ever spent in any transfer window ever on a load of teenagers or early twenties who might come good

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Romeu would have have something to say about that I suggest. Hurlock , Jimmy Case type figures protected the wonderful youth we had coming through with MLT Shearer and the Wallaces. You need a mix of quality and some steel. I agree though that some of our older players do not hve the mentality. Not sure JWP puts fear into opposing players, and I still cant get over how Caleta Carr let that Newcastle disrespect him and our fans by just wlaking on and not lamping him. Im sure we would have al ot more respect had he done

Well not really because he never showed any real leadership, similar to JWP he is ever present and leads by example but he isn’t a rally the troops type like Fonte was

And lamping Murphy would have only had put him out for the rest of the season, so no, not sure it’ll have helped

21 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We need more players like Manning. A player of quality who has experience in this league, can play the way the manager wants and is untainted by last year. 

Yeah I don’t disagree, just saying historically, since Gao and into the SR years our ‘experienced ready to go’ signings have been largely terrible 

19 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Well not really because he never showed any real leadership, similar to JWP he is ever present and leads by example but he isn’t a rally the troops type like Fonte was

And lamping Murphy would have only had put him out for the rest of the season, so no, not sure it’ll have helped

Well for one Romeu was there to add bite and would give a dig to a player, and secondly it wouldn't have matted at all if Carr didnt play again that season. Although it would be a 3 match ban I suspect. It would certainly pleased a lot of fans including me. Rather than limply walk past when you are being totally being disrespected.

Hurlock, or Case would not have put up with it. Sometimes a bit of guts and aggression is called for

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Its always been a bit baffling for me but I think it always highlights how fans will side towards a player they consider homegrown or one that shows a bit of steel (Lyanco) despite clearly being limited

On metrics alone, and I appreciate they do not show the full picture but Bednareks stats are better than Stephens, and for me its backed up by what I see on the pitch, both players are limited, but Stephens, for me, is the more limited

Interestingly too, until the fallout between JB and RH he survived successive team changes and was often picked ahead of others by management. We’ve actually had JS up for sale for 2 years now, with only Bournemouth showing interest (and ending it after his loan spell was unsuccessful). Bednarek was also the name recalled by Jones in January (and subsequently was one of our best performers (in a shit team))

I think overall though the JS vs JB debate shows just how much of a rot had set in within our defensive ranks over the years

In my eyes, Stephens always has a moment in most games where he shuts down and stops paying attention. Bednarek, whilst a good sliding shot-blocker, consistently leaves or aviods spaces, that in turn creates problems for the rest of the back four (and midfield). That Villa never used him says alot. They had their share of CB issues last season when he was there. Don't really want any of them in my team, but hopefully not both.