Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

As Hanson said you can't win the league with kids. We were bullied last season, let alone in the Championship where the players are more physical and the refs of a low standard. Im all for having young players in the team but we also need some minders 

We weren’t bullied last season, we were just crap. If we’d replaced experienced Mois and Amstrongs with young Lavias and ABKs, we’d have stayed up.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, DT said:

I really, really hope we sign some experience. At CB, GK and striker. This resell value stuff just won’t work. Didn’t we learn that last season?

We will sign for those places. As I have said Martin said we have 3 or 4 players set up to join. He definitely said that. It was when he was complaining the transfer window should finish at the start of the season.

Clearly some of the pieces will start to fall into place after the season starts. For example JWP might play the first couple of games for us before he goes to Chelsea for an enormous fee 😇

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We weren’t bullied last season, we were just crap. If we’d replaced experienced Mois and Amstrongs with young Lavias and ABKs, we’d have stayed up.

So where were we going to find another Lavia who was supposed to help screen the defence? I can hardly remember a game where we controlled midfield. If you believe that 2 inexperienced midfielders will control midfield in the tough tackling Championship, boy youre in for one hell of a surprise. 

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, manji said:

Twitter stuff but Chelsea now in for JWP. Maybe I was harsh on Joe Shields

I would rather he went there than West Ham in all seriousness. Although doesn't help him play European football this year. I guess there is the poch aspect, and it might result in a closer relationship between the two clubs and some prospects heading saints' way.

• Like 1

Was listening to a newcastle podcast. They reckon the £30m Livra bid from them was structured in such a way that the upfront amount payable was paltry and thats why we rejected it. They reckon a new bid will be made with higher amount payable up front and also going up to £40m. Might be BS, but thought I'd pass it on

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, OldNick said:

So where were we going to find another Lavia who was supposed to help screen the defence? I can hardly remember a game where we controlled midfield. If you believe that 2 inexperienced midfielders will control midfield in the tough tackling Championship, boy youre in for one hell of a surprise. 

We didn’t control the midfield because the options around JWP and Lavia were crap, not because those two were too young, weak and naive. We looked far worse when Lavia wasn’t available. If you offered me Charles and Lavia as a midfield pairing this season, I’d snap your hand off. We got promoted last time with Cork, Hammond and Morgan in CM, none of them were big, gritty bruisers, just good players.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We didn’t control the midfield because the options around JWP and Lavia were crap, not because those two were too young, weak and naive. We looked far worse when Lavia wasn’t available. If you offered me Charles and Lavia as a midfield pairing this season, I’d snap your hand off. We got promoted last time with Cork, Hammond and Morgan in CM, none of them were big, gritty bruisers, just good players.

Cork and Hammond had experience, Hammond on particular. Some experience is absolutely vital in the heart of midfield. 

• Like 6

Nothing says tinpot club like one that pockets over £100m for a player and then offers something so woefully out of touch for Prowsie that I can only imagine the sextoy market has collapsed and they are worried about future funding.

Give them a free ground and they think everything is dirt cheap.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We got promoted last time with Cork, Hammond and Morgan in CM, none of them were big, gritty bruisers, just good players.

Not bruisers, but Hammond and Schneiderlin were solid and could mix it when needed, not the delicate flowers we’ve had in recent years.

Cork was also a dependable player who did a lot of the donkey work. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

He gave the team some leadership. 

He certainly did. The mind boggles that anyone could think that Charles (in his first season of grown up football) and Lavia could give us what what the trio of Cork, Hammond and Morgan (or any 2 of them) could give. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, egg said:

He certainly did. The mind boggles that anyone could think that Charles (in his first season of grown up football) and Lavia could give us what what the trio of Cork, Hammond and Morgan (or any 2 of them) could give. 

Absolutely. Let's say hypothetically we had replaced Elyounoussi and Walcott with promising youngsters, we still would have gone down. Some people seem to think we would be fine with just the talent and not the grit, guile and experience. They couldn't be more wrong

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Would be easier if we aren't potentially losing points next week... 

Why are we losing points, we are stronger now than we will be come end of August. Jwp, lavia, alcaraz, Livramento, kwp still here they won't be come September. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, OldNick said:

Well for one Romeu was there to add bite and would give a dig to a player, and secondly it wouldn't have matted at all if Carr didnt play again that season. Although it would be a 3 match ban I suspect. It would certainly pleased a lot of fans including me. Rather than limply walk past when you are being totally being disrespected.

Hurlock, or Case would not have put up with it. Sometimes a bit of guts and aggression is called for

Are you seriously advocating and condoning violence on the football pitch?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Why are we losing points, we are stronger now than we will be come end of August. Jwp, lavia, alcaraz, Livramento, kwp still here they won't be come September. 

Total speculation. We have nothing to suggest that the team will definitely be collectively stronger next week than at the end of September. I'm almost certain we will be better offensively by the end of the window for a start. 

RAWK and KUMB are some funny forums. RAWK in particular are getting worried about Chelsea's interest in Lavia.  One poster saying that Chelsea should just "Pay the Money" for Caicedo. Well the same could be said for Liverpool and Lavia! KUMB meanwhile don't think JWP is worth anything over £25 million and that we should be desperate to sell because we've been relegated like they'd be doing us a massive favour. Little remembering that we're actually not poor anymore and are about to make tens of millions of pounds from other players sales. 

It's definitely a summer where we should stick to our guns as much as possible valuation wise.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, manji said:

We will sign for those places. As I have said Martin said we have 3 or 4 players set up to join. He definitely said that. It was when he was complaining the transfer window should finish at the start of the season.

Clearly some of the pieces will start to fall into place after the season starts. For example JWP might play the first couple of games for us before he goes to Chelsea for an enormous fee 😇

I hope that you are right in terms of strengthening every position down that spine from keeper through central defence, defensive mid and a genuine centre forward (target man).  It's what did for us last season and has cost us points for years.  We are going to need some confidence and nous in the Championship, others like Manning to settle us and bring on the potential. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

They could get Lavia and JWP for that price. 

Not surprised if Poch turns to JWP. Not sure where that leaves Brighton as Caciedo downed tools last time he didn't get a move. Can see it turning into a Van Dyke scenario and they have to let him go in Jan for much less than £80m.

2 hours ago, manji said:

We will sign for those places. As I have said Martin said we have 3 or 4 players set up to join. 

Does this include Zach Awe or are these  players with first team experience ready to go straight into battle ? 

1 hour ago, egg said:

With the review of Smallbone from a couple of friendlies I’ve read on here it could be heading for another 9/10 window … 

2 hours ago, manji said:

We will sign for those places. As I have said Martin said we have 3 or 4 players set up to join. He definitely said that. 

Any clues as to who, and from where ?

Hope the GK isn’t the Swansea bloke they’d taken there from MK. Not rated by Swansea supporters by all accounts 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

RAWK and KUMB are some funny forums. RAWK in particular are getting worried about Chelsea's interest in Lavia.  One poster saying that Chelsea should just "Pay the Money" for Caicedo. Well the same could be said for Liverpool and Lavia! KUMB meanwhile don't think JWP is worth anything over £25 million and that we should be desperate to sell because we've been relegated like they'd be doing us a massive favour. Little remembering that we're actually not poor anymore and are about to make tens of millions of pounds from other players sales. 

It's definitely a summer where we should stick to our guns as much as possible valuation wise.

Well at least some Hammers are embarrassed. 

https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/west-ham-have-just-made-an-insulting-bid-for-james-ward-prowse/

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Grimes is one of the players we'd be hoping to sign.  Also worth mentioning that we were linked to some wide players like Grady Diangara and Amad Diallo (on loan).  I guess there's also the Ross Stewart rumour that seems to be fairly persistent.

Diallo just had bad injury doubt will be going anywhere soon

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Diallo just had bad injury doubt will be going anywhere soon

It did look bad on the images, but he's fine according to the man himself. Lucky escape by the looks of it.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up out on loan, Sunderland is surely number 1 choice though. We'd have to do something very special to win ahead of them given how he's thought of there, and how he thinks of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, egg said:

Cork and Hammond had experience, Hammond on particular. Some experience is absolutely vital in the heart of midfield. 

Again Dean Hammond is a classic example. Not the best player in the world but an experienced leader with a great mentality. Exactly like Fonte was, neither of them were the best players in their positions at the time they were here but vital to our success for what else they brought to the side 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Again Dean Hammond is a classic example. Not the best player in the world but an experienced leader with a great mentality. Exactly like Fonte was, neither of them were the best players in their positions at the time they were here but vital to our success for what else they brought to the side 

Which is why I find the attitude of just wanting talent so odd. It's incredibly obvious that we need a leader at the back and a Grimes type figure in the middle. It's not that the likes of Edwards won't be a great signing, I just think we would live to regret it if we got someone like that and this Arsenal youngster abd left it at that. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Which is why I find the attitude of just wanting talent so odd. It's incredibly obvious that we need a leader at the back and a Grimes type figure in the middle. It's not that the likes of Edwards won't be a great signing, I just think we would live to regret it if we got someone like that and this Arsenal youngster abd left it at that. 

A leader/experienced player will arrive when we sale Lavia And Or JWP

24 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

A leader/experienced player will arrive when we sale Lavia And Or JWP

And when that happens I'll be the first to praise the club. But it hasn't happened yet and we haven't had much change really from a squad that finished bottom last year and were rotten. We need change ASAP. 

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

And when that happens I'll be the first to praise the club. But it hasn't happened yet and we haven't had much change really from a squad that finished bottom last year and were rotten. We need change ASAP. 

Easier said than done, until we shift players we won't be bringing any in. We are about to get very busy.

6 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Easier said than done, until we shift players we won't be bringing any in. We are about to get very busy.

Like I said, I'll be happy when that happens. Worth remembering though that we had similar conversations last summer when everyone said we would get in a striker and we failed and then some posters said it was fine because we had got Mara in. The last thing I would want is to rely on this Arsenal youngster and another promising young defender and the same in midfield. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Like I said, I'll be happy when that happens. Worth remembering though that we had similar conversations last summer when everyone said we would get in a striker and we failed and then some posters said it was fine because we had got Mara in. The last thing I would want is to rely on this Arsenal youngster and another promising young defender and the same in midfield. 

We need 3 or 4 leaders on the pitch. Didn't have any last year, and will need them all the more in the champs. Currently we stand to get bullied at numerous away grounds this season. Haven't seen Manning yet, but hoping he might be one.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

We need 3 or 4 leaders on the pitch. Didn't have any last year, and will need them all the more in the champs. Currently we stand to get bullied at numerous away grounds this season. Haven't seen Manning yet, but hoping he might be one.

So far we have Stephens, Manning and JWP and I'd argue Stuey is a leader too.

14 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Good someone else gets it. We got burnt last summer with loads predicting 9 or 10 for the window because we got in a load of promising kids. Like you say, it's leaders and personalities on the pitch in the mould of Fonte, Hammond, Lambert, Lallana even someone like Jaidi. 

• Like 2