Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I am going what all the players what played with him have said. All the youngsters like Wallace Le Tiss Shearer etc have all said how he nurtured them and how they looked up to him. You don’t have to wave your hands around, he had an aura. He’d been there done that and was wily. He was tough, experienced and could play.  He could tackle scrap and mix it. At 20 grand he was LM’s best signing. If we signed him tomorrow I would fancy our chances of going up. As it is mid table beckons as things stand. 

Probably my favourite Saints player of all time. Always annoyed me when they talked about football hard men and the like of Vinnie Jones got mentioned. Case was nails. With what he had done at Liverpool he was the perfect man to set the example, set the standard.

• Like 7

I would never sign Salisu. Very good player when he wanted to be but terrible attitude and what harm he must do in the dressing room because of that is unimaginable. I hope he doesn’t try and send the fans a message of thanks etc because he let us down in our moment of need. He can fuck off quickly as far as I am concerned. 

• Like 26

2 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I would never sign Salisu. Very good player when he wanted to be but terrible attitude and what harm he must do in the dressing room because of that is unimaginable. I hop e he doesn’t try and send the fans a message of thanks etc because he let us down in our moment of need. He can fuck off quickly as far as I am concerned. 

The language of an historian?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am going what all the players what played with him have said. All the youngsters like Wallace Le Tiss Shearer etc have all said how he nurtured them and how they looked up to him. You don’t have to wave your hands around, he had an aura. He’d been there done that and was wily. He was tough, experienced and could play.  He could tackle scrap and mix it. At 20 grand he was LM’s best signing. If we signed him tomorrow I would fancy our chances of going up. As it is mid table beckons as things stand. 

I remember reading something from one of the younger players in around 1988 talking about Jimmy Case saying sometimes he didn’t say anything, a look was enough to let them know they’d fucked up. But also he looked after them on the pitch. A real captain and like you say a brilliant signing. The first player Branfoot got rid of as he knew the power he had In the dressing room

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I would never sign Salisu. Very good player when he wanted to be but terrible attitude and what harm he must do in the dressing room because of that is unimaginable. I hope he doesn’t try and send the fans a message of thanks etc because he let us down in our moment of need. He can fuck off quickly as far as I am concerned. 

Players can be wankers. Is it not the job of the manager to 'manage' them? A decent manager might be able to inspire and coax the best out of him. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Hopefully lavia and DCC will be completed soon both close best part of £60m in the bank then once City have had their cut if lavia fee

Wonder if we got a few million in for Diallo too.

One of our greats, and as you say unassuming and modest, but an absolute gladiator of a player. My idol as a youngster was Steve Williams and Case was bought for peanuts as his direct replacement, so lots of chatter that JC was a cheap stopgap and by then past his best. I think he played the best football of his career in that young Nicholl side as it’s pivot and focal point.  Really intelligent, determined footballer (rather like Stevie Williams), but genuinely tough and feared by opponents, Vinnie Jones was clearly shit scared of him every time the ‘crazy gang’ visited for instance.  During that period I recall Platini being asked his secret of his recent success as a manager of the French National side and he said ‘I pick players on form, not on the basis of their age, or club, no favouritism’ something like that. Recall a few muted media calls that on that basis for Case becoming an England regular. He should have been, an innate ability to galvanise and improve young talent, and Mowbray and Wilcox should currently be looking for a 2023 facsimile! 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

On the face of it good work by our negotiating team on that one.

Just hoping it’s not mostly add ons. 

Considering there was talk that he was going to hold out until January and then leave on a free, I would suggest that 17 even if it is a fair bit of addons woukd be incredible business. 

17 minutes ago, Chez said:

Players can be wankers. Is it not the job of the manager to 'manage' them? A decent manager might be able to inspire and coax the best out of him. 

in a perfect world a better recruitment team might filter out those who might not be ‘manageable’ or motivated.

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Considering there was talk that he was going to hold out until January and then leave on a free, I would suggest that 17 even if it is a fair bit of addons woukd be incredible business. 

Fair point 

6 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Fair, but age doesn't mean anything, based on that you'd rather start Aribo at RW instead of Samuel Amo-Ameyah. 

I wouldn't start either of them. I'd buy and start someone capable of delivering in this league, this season. Another kid who hasn't kicked a ball in men's football is not what we need. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SambaMaverick said:

People can cite Lavia until the cows come home, but spunking decent money (especially in this division) for kids just because they've worn a City shirt at Under 21 level is a brain dead strategy and I won't be convinced otherwise.

More signings like Manning is what we need (and I'm not saying they won't come).

Oh absolutely, I'd love another Manning experience wise at GK/CB/CM and ST.

Players have been lined up for these positions, just gotta wait till the playing staff is decreased more.

1 minute ago, SambaMaverick said:

People can cite Lavia until the cows come home, but spunking decent money (especially in this division) for kids just because they've worn a City shirt at Under 21 level is a brain dead strategy and I won't be convinced otherwise.

More signings like Manning is what we need (and I'm not saying they won't come).

For one Lavia , there’s an Edozie, Bazunu, Larios… Gunn… 

We’ve already taken Charles from the City tombola this year.

I think the Bobb signing is intended a loan rather than purchase. Agree with you regarding the Manning standard. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, egg said:

I wouldn't start either of them. I'd buy and start someone capable of delivering in this league, this season. Another kid who hasn't kicked a ball in men's football is not what we need. 

I wouldn't start SAA either next week either, I'd play Tella and Sulemana/Stuey in these positions.

I'm just saying SAAs ability wise will offer alot more than say a "experienced" player if he is better.

Edited by SaintsFan86

9 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep this ain’t the premier league. There must be dozens of player who we could afford would join us and have done it in the championship before we have to look at kids who have never played a mans game before 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Turkish said:

There must be dozens of player who we could afford would join us and have done it in the championship before we have to look at kids who have never played a mans game before 

With signed Manning and we'll sign a couple more championship players to go with the nippers.

17M for Salisu is a bloody good deal.  Fair play if that's true.

As for Bobb - never even heard of him but we don't know if it's true, we don't know what basis he's signing on and we don't know if he's any good.  I'm not getting worked up about it just yet and Wilcox would be the best person to know whether he can fit the role we have planned for him.  Some hysterical tart reactions to something we don't even know is accurate or not on here.  Seems to be a similar player to Sam AA so slight concern if it negatively affects him but otherwise I'll wait till the end of the window before making a judgement.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

If Swansea really want 20 million, is there any reason we couldn't just offer that once we've sold a couple? I'd prefer that over the Charles signing if it's a choice between the two. 

£20m for Piroe would be a lot to spend. He's scored some goals, but he has his limitations too. That's massive money for a guy with a year left.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

Don’t be so naive.

I suppose there's two schools of thought.

Either Chris Hughton (his international manager), Ruben Selles (his club manager), and Salisu himself were telling the truth when they stated that he was injured (based on the substance of either working with him or actually being him).

Or some random internet nomarks have uncovered an inexplicable conspiracy of lies (based on some twitter innuendo). 

I wonder which of our other injuries over the course of the season weren't really injuries. Perhaps if I blocked out the microwaves with a tinfoil hat the answers would present themselves.

• Like 2