Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

4 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

We’re not selling 10+
of our best players, its utter shite

We knew we’d lose Lavia, Salisu, JWP.. probably KWP or Tino or both… potentially Che/Arma and maybe Tella/Sulemana… we’ve known this since the end of last season

You say we're not selling 10+, but you've named about 7 or 8 above.

You can add Orsic, Diallo and DCC. Maybe not our best, but certainly first team squad. We've obviously released AMN, Theo and Eli too. So that's going to be well over ten first team squad players that will have departed.

McCarthy is still a possibility to go as is Onuachu. Not sure about Lyanco. ABK is difficult to judge due to the injury. (If all went, that's about 17 or 18).

None of these departures are/would be a surprise.

I'm not concerned because it's what I expected. Concern will come if the four or five coming in don't shine at this new level. Hopefully they all work out well 

• Like 3

Transfer windows are very frustrating at the best of times....but this one is especially so. Losing players that we expected to go is one thing (although I was rather hoping that JWP would stay to help get us back) but what is annoying is seeing "supposed" targets that we want to/are going to sign suddenly sign for others. 

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Courtois of Real Madrid has done his ACL.

Maybe the start of a bidding war between Madrid and Palace for Alex McCarthy’s services. 👀🤷🏻‍♂️

We can't afford that kind of bidding war. It's going to be expensive enough moving him on.

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Transfer windows are very frustrating at the best of times....but this one is especially so. Losing players that we expected to go is one thing (although I was rather hoping that JWP would stay to help get us back) but what is annoying is seeing "supposed" targets that we want to/are going to sign suddenly sign for others. 

Nothing new in that, you should be used to it by  now

1 hour ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Schmeichel would be insane, That would be incredible. I'm dreaming now to just be disappointed come September 1st.

Schmeichel is insane.... he called Jannik "top class" https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/schmeichel-jannik-vestergaard-southampton-transfer-5922461

Top class shittery 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, manji said:

Absolutely Rasmus also made a perfect scapegoat for the bedwetters.

Calling people bed wetters for being unhappy at last season is going some manji 😅

Also Rasmus doesn't help himself, between giving a presentation on "if it ain't broke, break it" and his fans forum showing, he pretty much painted a bullseye on his forehead... And tbh, it may not have been the plan, but it was equally his hands on the wheels. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 7

Could end up being a really well timed injury if it keeps him here and he's fit around September time.

ABK, Stephens, Bednarek, Lyanco & Awe would be absolutely fine for this season. Obviously I'm hoping Lyanco goes and we'd replace him, but I can't see that as too likely with the 3 in front of him, unless anything changes with ABK of course.

• Like 6

Some serious bedwetting in here after one player, that the club expected to leave since the window opened, has left. Only the second player to go that fans wanted to keep, and some are acting like its a fire sale.

There is no indication that SR are selling all our players and hoping for midtable. Everyone at the club has said the target this year is promotion. We have held firm in our evaluation of good players to get the maximum fees. We have rejected bids for multiple players who have had interest from the Premier League: Stephens (Bournemouth), Smallbone (Sheff Utd), Alcaraz (Brighton) and Tella (Burnley).

Lavia, Bella-Kotchap, Walker-Peters and Adams are the only players that now seem very likely to go and not all of them are a certainty.

SR have been clear for their model of selling players like Lavia for five times their cost to work, we have to be in the Premier League. The squad is far too big, and once more of the players who aren't up to standard (many played on Tuesday) are moved then we will see incomings.

Some of you are delusional about the state of the Championship. The gulf between the Championship and the Premier League has grown exponentially since we were last here. We have an extremely talented team for this level, that was poorly managed last season. It will take a couple of months for the players to get the system and the results to follow.

Our squad, currently, is far better than Burnley's that won the league last season. This year will be tougher, but the Championship has never seen squads of the quality that us and Leicester have before. It would be insane for SR to not try and go up, when the chances of bouncing straight back are always far better in the first year.

There is three weeks of the window left. I don't feel like we have missed out on anyone, except possibly Aarons (who we don't want or need if the club feel they can keep KWP). Lets try and wait until we have sold some more dross and Wilcox has had a chance to bring players in before judging him.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Some serious bedwetting in here after one player, that the club expected to leave since the window opened, has left. Only the second player to go that fans wanted to keep, and some are acting like its a fire sale.

There is no indication that SR are selling all our players and hoping for midtable. Everyone at the club has said the target this year is promotion. We have held firm in our evaluation of good players to get the maximum fees. We have rejected bids for multiple players who have had interest from the Premier League: Stephens (Bournemouth), Smallbone (Sheff Utd), Alcaraz (Brighton) and Tella (Burnley).

Lavia, Bella-Kotchap, Walker-Peters and Adams are the only players that now seem very likely to go and not all of them are a certainty.

SR have been clear for their model of selling players like Lavia for five times their cost to work, we have to be in the Premier League. The squad is far too big, and once more of the players who aren't up to standard (many played on Tuesday) are moved then we will see incomings.

Some of you are delusional about the state of the Championship. The gulf between the Championship and the Premier League has grown exponentially since we were last here. We have an extremely talented team for this level, that was poorly managed last season. It will take a couple of months for the players to get the system and the results to follow.

Our squad, currently, is far better than Burnley's that won the league last season. This year will be tougher, but the Championship has never seen squads of the quality that us and Leicester have before. It would be insane for SR to not try and go up, when the chances of bouncing straight back are always far better in the first year.

There is three weeks of the window left. I don't feel like we have missed out on anyone, except possibly Aarons (who we don't want or need if the club feel they can keep KWP). Lets try and wait until we have sold some more dross and Wilcox has had a chance to bring players in before judging him.

Then promotion this season will almost certainly not happen, if this is the case.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

'supposed' is the key word here.  Have we really missed out on anyone? If Aaron's is the example, then I'd argue he was leaving Norwich for the Prem. 

• Like 1

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Then promotion this season will almost certainly not happen, if this is the case.

Not true, because the exact same thing happened with Burnley last season and they walked the league.

15th after 5 games. In the promotion hunt after that, but only really found form by early October.

I think we will be better quicker than Burnley, because we have better players, but due to having such a tough September I could see us having a similar trajectory.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Could end up being a really well timed injury if it keeps him here and he's fit around September time.

ABK, Stephens, Bednarek, Lyanco & Awe would be absolutely fine for this season. Obviously I'm hoping Lyanco goes and we'd replace him, but I can't see that as too likely with the 3 in front of him, unless anything changes with ABK of course.

Not sure the injury will put clubs off. They will be signing him for three or four years service. I really hope he stays as he offers the pace we need.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

No one has seen anything of Awe to suggest he's ready for the championship?

Lyanco's pre season (and Gillingham (A) show he simply isn't good enough / doesn't want to be here. So we're left with 2 CB's we wanted rid off last season (one of which slagged off the club), and another that's been injured for months. We need +1 imo, and that should be a player either better than Bednarek/Stephens, or close to their level but with a far higher ceiling.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Not true, because the exact same thing happened with Burnley last season and they walked the league.

15th after 5 games. In the promotion hunt after that, but only really found form by early October.

I think we will be better quicker than Burnley, because we have better players, but due to having such a tough September I could see us having a similar trajectory.

Also we saw it with our own eyes when Saints were in league one, Pardew got sacked and Dean Wilkins took the reins until Nigel came in. At the start of October we had lost 4 games, drawn 3, and we were in 17th position. It took a monumental second half of the season but it was done, in the end we were 5 points clear of third place. No ideal but very daft to say it’s almost certain we can’t go up after a stumbling start.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Also we saw it with our own eyes when Saints were in league one, Pardew got sacked and Dean Wilkins took the reins until Nigel came in. At the start of October we had lost 4 games, drawn 3, and we were in 17th position. It took a monumental second half of the season but it was done, in the end we were 5 points clear of third place. No ideal but very daft to say it’s almost certain we can’t go up after a stumbling start.

A "monumental second half of the season" that some fans try to revise into "a failure" 😄.

Also worth pointing out Reading's title winning season a year later was after a terrible start.

All slightly academic, i didn't see enough in the Wednesday performance to be confident as yet, particularly as we're weakening the squad and have no solid links to incomings. So for me, there is a long way to go before we know where we really stand.

Edited by Saint86

11 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

No one has seen anything of Awe to suggest he's ready for the championship?

Lyanco's pre season (and Gillingham (A) show he simply isn't good enough / doesn't want to be here. So we're left with 2 CB's we wanted rid off last season (one of which slagged off the club), and another that's been injured for months. We need +1 imo, and that should be a player either better than Bednarek/Stephens, or close to their level but with a far higher ceiling.

We all thought Mark Wright was a make weight in the Keith Cassells transfer. Soon proved us wrong,  pinging the ball all over the park in a friendly at Ashton Gate. Just because he hasn't started at Arsenal yet doesn't mean much. The young French CB that was one of their stars last season had to spend time on loan in France before he was given a chance. 

Let's not write him off, just because he is young. Having said that though, Small had a stellar reputation when we signed him, and he is pants. 

8 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

A "monumental second half of the season" that some fans try to revise into "a failure" 😄.

Also worth pointing out Reading's title winning season a year later was after a terrible start.

All slightly academic, i didn't see enough in the Wednesday performance to be confident as yet, particularly as we're weakening the squad and have no solid links to incomings. So for me, there is a long way to go before we know where we really stand.

I dunno I saw enough I think, I also saw enough of the rest of the division to be confident… atleast confident enough that the three relegated sides genuinely do look better than this league, of course it was only taking the first results in isolation and you have to caveat it with the knowledge that the team will look different in a couple of weeks

But im largely confident… I have concerns around a striker and potentially I think we play too much of a high line at times, but overall we were impressive imo

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

5 games is not a couple of months. infact, the 5th game will be in under 4 weeks from now.

28 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Burnley have a better manager though. Martin is a 1 trick pony, I've seen more than enough already to know we're going to be all fart no shit this season. 

• Haha 9
  • Confused 4

Last week I warned that there was going to be a lot of disappointment on here by Sept 2nd.

Nothing has swayed me from that view. The majority of our Prem standard players will be bought, probably late on just to annoy us.

KWP/Adams/ABK/Alcaraz/S Armstrong/ Sullemana/Tella/Bendarek will see themselves as Premier League players. If a bid comes in, you can guarantee their agents will be knocking on doors. If we are lucky we'll be left with couple of them. Then rinse repeat in January.

The only saving grace is that SR are showing some marbles, and aren't being pushed around.

In addition every blasted target player will be hovered up by the lower Premier League teams to boost their squad.

All that shouldn't worry us. Still lots of talent left in the squad and with a healthy bank balance Saints will simply raid other teams.

Most of the names above were part of our relegation, so can't be too worried if they leave.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

Burnley have a better manager though. Martin is a 1 trick pony, I've seen more than enough already to know we're going to be all fart no shit this season. 

I do hope your chins ok, as those knee jerks can hurt.

I do agree Burnley have a better manager though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

I do hope your chins ok, as those knee jerks can hurt.

I do agree Burnley have a better manager though.

Yes....there does seem to be a competition on here to come up with the most negative non-sensical posts......but....."it's all about opinions, innit?"

Edited by miserableoldgit
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

More than enough? He's had one league game! 

.....which we won away from home, playing football that for the most part had everyone purring. Mind you, we apparently only won because SW were dreadful......

Edited by miserableoldgit
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Dman said:

Don’t be ridiculous man. We’re one proper game in - which we won. Pull yourself together. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Last week I warned that there was going to be a lot of disappointment on here by Sept 2nd.

Nothing has swayed me from that view. The majority of our Prem standard players will be bought, probably late on just to annoy us.

KWP/Adams/ABK/Alcaraz/S Armstrong/ Sullemana/Tella/Bendarek will see themselves as Premier League players. If a bid comes in, you can guarantee their agents will be knocking on doors. If we are lucky we'll be left with couple of them. Then rinse repeat in January.

The only saving grace is that SR are showing some marbles, and aren't being pushed around.

In addition every blasted target player will be hovered up by the lower Premier League teams to boost their squad.

All that shouldn't worry us. Still lots of talent left in the squad and with a healthy bank balance Saints will simply raid other teams.

Most of the names above were part of our relegation, so can't be too worried if they leave.

Confused by your post; are we going to be disappointed by the transfer window or have a squad full of talent and loads of new players?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

More than enough? He's had one league game! 

I'm taking into consideration the comments from his time at swansea, our pre-season and the 2 games we've seen this season.

Nice bloke, honourable and says all the things I want our manager to say, but we're going to dominate 90% of our games and struggle to break teams down. Draw and lose a ton. That's clear to see imo. 

I'm not saying we should sack him, FWIW - just don't particularly rate him and don't think he'll take us up. 

Edited by Dman
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Only on Saintsweb could someone think they know more about football than Jason Wilcox.

I'm not 100% convinced that Martin was actually Wilcox man - Martin was apparently our second choice behind Jone back in Novemeber. Way before the club had appointed Wilcox. 

The fella at Leicester was Wilcox (and our) first choice this summer. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

I'm taking into consideration the comments from his time at swansea, our pre-season and the 2 games we've seen this season.

Nice bloke, honourable and says all the things I want our manager to say, but we're going to dominate 90% of our games and struggle to break teams down. Draw and lose a ton. That's clear to see imo. 

I'm not saying we should sack him, FWIW - just don't particularly rate him and don't think he'll take us up. 

How coild we possibly make that judgement when we have no idea what the team will be in three weeks? You can't use preseason results and one cup game to judge how we will perform for the rest of the year. We might do terribly but it's foolish to make a judgement at this point. 

• Like 1

If we “dominate” 90% of our games we will be there or thereabouts i.e. at least top 6 with the squad and spending power we have. I’d take that as we sit here now. If anyone thinks we’re going to simply walk this league then they’re in for a surprise but aside from Leicester I fancy us against anyone. My prediction is that Leicester and Saints will be the top 2 but the likes of Leeds, Coventry, Middlesbrough and Milwall won’t be far behind.

I'm not 100% convinced that Martin was actually Wilcox man - Martin was apparently our second choice behind Jone back in Novemeber. Way before the club had appointed Wilcox. 

The fella at Leicester was Wilcox (and our) first choice this summer. 

Dman you will be kicked out of the circle of trust gossiping like this.

• Haha 1