Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

20 minutes ago, Chez said:

Che out for £12m, new striker Piroe in for similar.

ABK out for £20m, not sure who we buy, but I'd of thought considerably less will be spent, maybe £5m-£10m. 

Is Downes on loan or bought? I'd of thought he'd cost at least the £14m they bought him for.

So that's Charles £11m, Downes £14m and Piroe £12m. Maybe Holgate for £6m?

Dreamworld 

We could be looking at a mass overhaul at CB, not that I'd be complaining given todays calamity.

ABK close to joining Dortmund. I'd also be surprised if Lyanco is still here given the fact he was 99% out the door before and was among the crowd who certainly didnt endear themselves to RM with his performance during the week. Also recall there has been plenty of interest in Bednarek so no guarantee he stays.

Stephens with his new contract and captaincy is the only guarantee to be here this season. Dont want to be relying on Charles to play there either. Could be needing 3 CBs before the window closes

• Like 1

Very quickly we need some grit and league knowhow. 

When we came up we were fortunate to have the likes of schneiderlin, lallana, etc... 

Bit that was supplemented with Fonte, Hammond, Lambert and Connolly amongst others. 

Quite clearly we have some decent kids, but someone needs to be on the pitch to show them the way. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Nevermind, just seen the ABK news. We've got a 25Million release clause. Won't be less than 25.

Unless options are running out for possible clubs to go to and pool of potential incomings reduced. Add a healthy sell on clause as Dortmund tend to get good prices to make up the shortfall. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Are we not in the exact same situation with Lavia/Sulemana/ABK? I'm sure Leeds have an asking price they want, but for some reason we're playing everything out in the media (to our detriment, maybe?)

We have assets we can sell, and are selling for significant fees.

Leeds had assets who had clauses in their contracts allowing them to walk for pennies or leave on a free, and also have a few h happy players in their camp kicking up a stink. We don’t.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Tauro said:

Very quickly we need some grit and league knowhow. 

When we came up we were fortunate to have the likes of schneiderlin, lallana, etc... 

Bit that was supplemented with Fonte, Hammond, Lambert and Connolly amongst others. 

Quite clearly we have some decent kids, but someone needs to be on the pitch to show them the way. 

I think this is mostly lazy cliché.

We have signed Manning and seemingly Downes who have both experience at this level and of working with the manager.

The likes of Tella, Arma, Adams, Smallbone, Bazunu all hae experience of the EFL and largely of excelling in it.

Bednarek is has over 100 PL starts and 50 caps for Poland whilst Stephens has played a lot at PL and Championship level.

Of our starting team today only Edozie and Alcaraz are relatively inexperienced.

I would suggest we dont need any more "league knowhow" and not really sure what "grit" actually means in real terms?

Yes we need to be better at set pieces but I would say thats the main thing so far that has been a clear thing to improve.

Otherwise, rather than the things you have said the best thing to add would be better players, which is pretty much the same for any team in any division. And I would say in general we have much better quality players than 90% of teams in this league as we are.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Watching german super cup, leipzeg currently winning 2-0 in munich, fucking teljs they have up front is a terrible striker - expect kane on after half time.

Last season Saints would’ve snapped him up. 😁

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Watching german super cup, leipzeg currently winning 2-0 in munich, fucking teljs they have up front is a terrible striker - expect kane on after half time.

Olmo's 2nd goal was a cracking goal 👌

Also... We could have had openda for like £6M last summer... Instead he went to lens, came 2nd in ligue 1, and is now lifting the German super cup... And we signed onuachu for like £18M ffs...🤔 (not to bang the Openda drum for another summer) 😂

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

Still think we need 6-7, which might be wishful thinking. 

Striker, Winger, 2 CMS, 2 CBs and probably a full back, oh and a competent goalkeeper. 

I’m probably going to be disappointed.

11 minutes ago, Appy said:

Striker, Winger, 2 CMS, 2 CBs and probably a full back, oh and a competent goalkeeper. 

Can't see how we need 2cms. Smallbone, Downes and Charles should be enough for the season. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Appy said:

We definitely don’t, we need 1/2 CBs, 1 CM and a striker if Che leaves

We have a huge squad, adding another 6/7 is mental

A winger ? WE HAVE ABOUT 6 !!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

We definitely don’t, we need 1/2 CBs, 1 CM and a striker if Che leaves

We have a huge squad, adding another 6/7 is mental

A winger ? WE HAVE ABOUT 6 !!

How many of the 6 do you rate? 

Your suggestion leaves us well short. 

2 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Disagree, We need two holding players and 2 natural 8 B2B types.

Charles/Downes - 6

Smallbone/Downes - 8

Alcaraz/S Armstrong - 10

Aribo could probably play as a 10 if you’re happy without him running anywhere

I think 1 more CM and we’re fine but its tricky… do you go back up or drop Smallbone, Alcaraz, Downes or Charles

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Charles/Downes - 6

Smallbone/Downes - 8

Alcaraz/S Armstrong - 10

Aribo could probably play as a 10 if you’re happy without him running anywhere

I think 1 more CM and we’re fine but its tricky… do you go back up or drop Smallbone, Alcaraz, Downes or Charles

Anyone we add from now has to be to improve the 11 anyway, my suggestion isn’t for backups anyway, if players leave and we improve it, I would like those in. 

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

Edozie, Tella, SAA and Sulemana are all comfortably good enough at this level with Arma, Djenepo, S Armstrong, Aribo and probably Doyle, Ballard able to cover there too

Think Tella and Sulemana leave, Djenepo shouldn’t be anywhere near our team. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Appy said:

Anyone we add from now has to be to improve the 11 anyway, my suggestion isn’t for backups anyway, if players leave and we improve it, I would like those in. 

Maybe.. squad depth wise we probably have the best in the division abd I think a lot are underestimating the levels of quality here

We need 4 competent CBs

Probably 4/5 CMs in varying positions

4 wingers

2/3 strikers

So reality is we’re pretty well stocked…. Ultimately if we sign another CM and another 1/2 CBs id be happy, anything on top is a huge bonus

• Like 2

We always need better players, but CM apart (and the Downes signing may cover that), we aren't signing anyone IMO unless another player departs...and even then, if it's Sulemana, Onuachu and/or Perraud, I still don't think we sign a replacement.

Abk goes, we get a CB. Che goes, we get a striker. 

• Like 1

On 11/08/2023 at 00:43, verlaine1979 said:

So they've got to want to be here. But we've also got to want them to be here. And if we don't want them to be here, regardless of how they feel about the shirt etc., they can fuck off? Is that how it works?

No they have got to not want to be here, and we’ve got to want them not to be here. And if we want them here, even if they don’t give a fuck, they can stay 

15 minutes ago, Chez said:

We always need better players, but CM apart (and the Downes signing may cover that), we aren't signing anyone IMO unless another player departs...and even then, if it's Sulemana, Onuachu and/or Perraud, I still don't think we sign a replacement.

Abk goes, we get a CB. Che goes, we get a striker. 

Agree on cm, cb and striker situation

if/when sulemana goes i’m Curious what will happen. Edozie is not finished product (not great today) & under23 kid looks a decent impact sub. I’d want a more senior player to compete with them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

We could be looking at a mass overhaul at CB, not that I'd be complaining given todays calamity.

ABK close to joining Dortmund. I'd also be surprised if Lyanco is still here given the fact he was 99% out the door before and was among the crowd who certainly didnt endear themselves to RM with his performance during the week. Also recall there has been plenty of interest in Bednarek so no guarantee he stays.

Stephens with his new contract and captaincy is the only guarantee to be here this season. Dont want to be relying on Charles to play there either. Could be needing 3 CBs before the window closes

A mass overhaul at CB is long overdue.

While Bazunu and McCarthy might be poor our defensive woes aren't solely their fault. We need players at CB that don't have lapses in concentration every sodding game. Stephens and Bednarek sadly have far too many mistakes in them which is exacerbated by a lack of pace means and poor ability to head a ball defensively.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

This is kind of funny, but this so easily could have been us. 

We still have players like Sulemana (and had Salisu) who I'm not sure is happy to play for us 

18 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

While Bazunu and McCarthy might be poor our defensive woes aren't solely their fault. We need players at CB that don't have lapses in concentration every sodding game. Stephens and Bednarek sadly have far too many mistakes in them which is exacerbated by a lack of pace means and poor ability to head a ball defensively.

We also have a centre mid that offers the defenders very little protection, how often do we find ourselves with the opposition having a clear run through the middle 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Absolutely this.  We aren’t getting promoted with those 2 at CB.  They were awful yesterday. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Nixon suggesting that Palace are ready to offer 10m for Che Adams

I appreciate he only has a year left, but frankly thaf fee is too low for what he offers us this year

He also says our first choice replacement for Che is Piroe. 

• Like 2

Better off keeping Che and losing him for free next summer. We've got enough money coming in. He's a top player at this level. Norwich couldn't really handle him. Plus he'll probably have more options on a free next year, or a fat new contract with us if we go up. Better than shitty Palace.

Move on Sulemana or Tella instead.

Then, assuming Downes is coming, we don't need any more midfielders or forwards so just focus on bringing in new a centre back - assuming ABK is leaving - who is an upgrade and can dominate in the air.

7 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Does JWP not get PL interest and just end up playing for Saints in the Championship in this dreamworld you talk of? :rolleyes:

No because he has now transferred to West Ham.

My point on the “dreamworld” comment is that some people are expecting us to bring in a lot of money for a load more of our players, and expecting to spend £20-30M in the next three weeks - I don’t see it.

RM has already talked about trimming the squad down and that it’s too bloated.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we got Downes and maybe two more, but it won’t be loads.

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Im still not sure if Piroe is better than Che 🤷‍♀️

Agreed. Honestly I’d never heard of him. It’s a bit like the Grimes story.

Would we even be talking about them if Russell Martin has managed someone else?

Comments from Swansea fans seem to be very mixed; and surely we’d be after a player that can later step up to the Premier League?

Edited by FarehamSaintJames

I think “at this level” get’s bandied around way too casually. What does it really mean? Yes there are fewer superstars in this league but there are still plenty of very good players who either have played in the premier league or wouldn’t be embarrassed by playing in the premier league. I really doubt Wilcox and Co are thinking along the “ good enough “ lines if they are serious about promotion. Good enough, by definition, equals mediocrity.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

No because he has now transferred to West Ham.

My point on the “dreamworld” comment is that some people are expecting us to bring in a lot of money for a load more of our players, and expecting to spend £20-30M in the next three weeks - I don’t see it.

RM has already talked about trimming the squad down and that it’s too bloated.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we got Downes and maybe two more, but it won’t be loads.

Oh, interesting.

I’m one of those ‘some people’ who is actually pretty confident we’ll spend another £20m-£30m on players between now and September.

I think we add 4-5 more players, Downes inc, but I think two could be loans.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Dreamworld 

We've already signed Charles so that's not "dreamworld".

Downes is far enough along for the manager to say publicly that it's 48 hours away (so tomorrow) so that's not "dreamworld".

Selling Che is likely but everyone running the club have indicated there would be a replacement, so spending 10-15m on replacement doesn't sound like "dreamworld".

ABK definitely is going and we will need a front line CB to challenge Jack and Bednarek so a few mill on a replacement doesn't sound like "dreamworld" either.

Let's remember you have spent the entire summer, the entire summer, arguing and arguing that JWP wouldn't go when it was the single most obvious and predictable event of the close season. Everyone knew it would happen but on and on you went. Dream. World.

You're in absolutely no position to criticise anyone else's predictions.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 7

21 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I think “at this level” get’s bandied around way too casually. What does it really mean? Yes there are fewer superstars in this league but there are still plenty of very good players who either have played in the premier league or wouldn’t be embarrassed by playing in the premier league. I really doubt Wilcox and Co are thinking along the “ good enough “ lines if they are serious about promotion. Good enough, by definition, equals mediocrity.

It means “at these prices”.