Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

50 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

We were in the PL for eleven years. Those were the highest income earning years of any league in history. 

We were a small fish so only got a small piece of the pie. But we’ve owned our stadium a while, and we went down with a huge, young squad.

Expenditure was high. Whatever money we earn in the Premier league is offset with player wages and transfer fees. Parachute payments help for 3 seasons but we still need to make up the deficit. 

I'd imagine we are probably in a good posistion right now with the fees we've got in but we have to get back up ASAP.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Does not alter the fact that Manning gifted a goal to Norwich, slipped for the Plymouth goal and stood off the Plymouth player as he hit the post.

2023/2024 Danny Fox.  Fine by me, but he will get slaughtered in the premier league

We'll find out next season, wont we.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think there's merit in both perspectives. We have bought in a shit ton of money and we have shown no signs of spending said money. Yet.

Whether we will or not is another matter and I'm sure all Saints fans remember how many transfer windows we've had where the club started out promising big things only to say we were happy with our squad when nothing happened.

We also have an owner who presided over us going down so it depends on what you believe their motivation is.

I'm personally willing to give them the benefit of the doubt but really want to see things start to happen sooner rather than later.

Edited by coalman
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

Wouldn't Aribo also be classified as an attacking midfielder and someone said Doyle played in a more attacking midfield role too.

Dibling too, or at least that’s where he’ll end up (plays wide a bit at the moment). The AM, whether wide or central is probably our last priority. Assuming Downes is in, with Charles we’re now fine for 6. 
We need cb, cm (another 8), cf and arguably gk. And then to cover any leavers - at least those who we want to keep, I.e. Adams, Tella, Sulemana, KWP, Smallbone and ABK. 
Bringing in another city youngster in a position we need, such as Harwood-Bellis is fine by me. Bringing one in to block the path of Dibling and Doyle etc is a waste IMHO. 

Edited by Chewy

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Maybe we should worry about the Premier league if we actually get there? Just a thought. 

We can’t afford to do a complete rebuild next year when the players will cost much more. We need to go up with a good confident young team - see my big post this morning. 

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
I was unfair
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Your life must be very hard if you can only plan for next week and not next year. 

And if you don't buy players because you're not sure if they will be good enough for the Premier league and then we dint go up as a consequence? Did we worry about if Jos Hooiveld, tadanari Lee, Jaidi, Danny fox, Lee Barnard etc etc were good enough for the prem? No we got them in to get us promoted. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nolan said:

to quote Plymouth fan @Green Army 75 from the Plymouth match thread.

"I’m really surprised how critical some of your fans are of your players!"

With no disrespect to Plymouth, who are a really hard working side, with a great manager doing really well on a tight budget - I wouldn't really use their opinion to gauge the the quality of potential PL players. 

As said already, he's this years Danny Fox and will be nowhere near good enough for the PL. Which is fine for us now, but he's very lucky he didn't go to Luton where it'd have been a nightmare season for him. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

And if you don't buy players because you're not sure if they will be good enough for the Premier league and then we dint go up as a consequence? Did we worry about if Jos Hooiveld, tadanari Lee, Jaidi, Danny fox, Lee Barnard etc etc were good enough for the prem? No we got them in to get us promoted. 

We never bought Billy Sharp for the Premier League. But he was vital in gaining automatic promotion

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Whilst I completely understand your point and agree we need a 'billy sharp type', the problem is, we had PL quality players in and around those you've listed above - I'm not sure we have any in our squad anymore. 

We'd effectively need a whole new 11 next season if we went up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Wilcox probably sat through all the matches from January onwards and thought this Adams bloke has got to go. Slap 15m on his head as he’s on a one year contract.

Turning out that he’s good in the championship but your options are limited because he wont sign a new contract.

Just make sure the striker coming in is proven and will hit the ground running otherwise you may of pissed this seasons promotion opportunity away.

I'd like to think Wilcox is a lot smarter than that. He might not have been impressed with Che's goal record in the Premier League but he would have been aware that we were always likely to be relegated. In my opinion he would therefore have factored in Che's excellent record in the Championship.

53 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I think reality proves that the current owners (who are in dialogue with those running Saints on a daily basis) are terrible. Just look at the state of the club, look at Nathan Jones, the state of Ruben Selles (now in division 3).

I’m still on the fence with SR. Yes last season was a shocker, but since then almost all personal have changed, Rambo has had his wings clipped, Dragan has undertaken to have more oversight, the failed old guard who it seems were causing problems have gone.

I was never of the school of thought there were positives in relegation, I’d have preferred it had we scraped through and rebuilt from there. It’s a hell of a long road back, and the daunting realisation of the reality of our diminished status is quite hard to deal with at times. 

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 2

We have received a lot of money in the window so far which is good. It would have been even better if we hadn't wasted so much money on poor signings over the past few windows because we'd have been in a strong position to spend a large chunk of the money received instead of which we are having to write off huge amounts. Having wasted all that money it would not surprise me if Dragan is now restricting what we spend and furthermore is taking some of the money to offset his already massive losses on this project. It's business I'm afraid, that's how I see it anyway. We'll probably spend a bit more but not a lot compared to what we've got in.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dman said:

Whilst I completely understand your point and agree we need a 'billy sharp type', the problem is, we had PL quality players in and around those you've listed above - I'm not sure we have any in our squad anymore. 

We'd effectively need a whole new 11 next season if we went up. 

Youd hope some of the few we bring in will be good enough. Potential for Shea Charles, Alcaraz abd then the others we will likely lose in Tella, kwp and Adams. 

59 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Does not alter the fact that Manning gifted a goal to Norwich, slipped for the Plymouth goal and stood off the Plymouth player as he hit the post.

2023/2024 Danny Fox.  Fine by me, but he will get slaughtered in the premier league

Lets criticise him for slipping. Jesus christ.

You also left out that he put the corner in which we scored the winner from

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Rumours are that brentford are sniffing round that guy so probably a nothing story as far as we’re concerned

That's a significant concern. We have to find players who are good enough to potentially play in the prem but who aren't wanting by prem teams or other top championship teams. We also have to find them and do deals for them over the next week and a half. 

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

That's a significant concern. We have to find players who are good enough to potentially play in the prem but who aren't wanting by prem teams or other top championship teams. We also have to find them and do deals for them over the next week and a half. 

That's the true signifier of Wilcox and Mowbray's acumen - no easy task but essential to get right if we are going for an immediate rebound and consolidation.  At least it's not dull currently. Tick tock.

10 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Wilcox, Mowbray, Martin...SFC,  just get on with it ffs

Agreed, there is sufficient cash brought in now unless the club is in immediate serious financial trouble and on the brink of going pop, and there’s still seemingly further departures to go if PL sides can get themselves organised (ha ha).

I get what the CEO said at the forum about cash flow but even so, the club should be at the stage of fees agreed and talking personal terms with players. Martin did say that they had a number of players wanting/waiting to join, surely the club must be able to proceed on those by now?

As per the striker fiasco last summer, running out of time, claiming the value isn’t there (which is why you don’t wait for all of the sales to coming in otherwise your targets have a ‘Southampton tax’) or that they are happy with the squad minus Che, Tella, KWP won’t wash with 95% of a sceptical fanbase who have had a rough few years.

Talk is cheap, actions are the measurement of performance until 5 September.

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 1

Nixon reporting so heavy pinch of salt needed but Patrick Roberts is the kind of signing we should be making. Known quality in this league and has previously been thought of as having potential at a higher level - maybe we can unlock that. 

If we are talking Sunderland players would love us to take a look at Jack Clarke too.

• Like 1

Player’s are waiting to join so calm down.

I am not really sure what they or we are waiting for now but nonetheless the queue is around the corner.

There has been too much “ we are going to sign ,2,3,4 or more by RM in the media.

Ralph expected a striker but didn’t get one.

We signed players who were just not good enough but hey they wanted to come (maybe)

We are in danger of a last day scramble and being left with second / third choices who are not up to it.

Just maybe we miss out on all of our targets as we are waiting to shift more deadwood whilst selling anyone who can help the promotion push.

Or it’s all under control and it will be a 9/10 window.

I don't think people realised how hard it would be coming down. With the gulf in wages between the championship and Prem it's going to be harder every year. 

Leicester seem to have navigated it brilliantly, losing their big hitters (Tielemans, Madison, Barnes) but keeping the next tier so far (Ihenacho, Daka, Dewsbury - Hall) and bringing in astute signings (Winks and looks like Harwood-Bellis). Leeds have had a nightmare with players desperate to leave and visible player unrest and a scattergun approach to signings. 

We seem to be in between the two with the big hitters gone and so far it's not looking great at keeping the second tier. 

But Burnley lost a lot of players last year and managed to go up with a mixture of youngsters and astute loans (Tella!) so hopefully we can do the same. But so far, Leicester appear to be far more convincing than we do. 

10 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

“Then there’s two in Scotland; Aberdeen striker Duk and Rangers midfielder Glen Kamara.

Darren Witcoop recently revealed that Southampton and Leeds United were among those who had representatives watching Duk in action against Celtic earlier this month.”

I definitely think we should go for him, he’d be a quacking signing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

“Then there’s two in Scotland; Aberdeen striker Duk and Rangers midfielder Glen Kamara.

Darren Witcoop recently revealed that Southampton and Leeds United were among those who had representatives watching Duk in action against Celtic earlier this month.”

image.png.015545edbefad6f5ba99d5b1ab0649bd.png

1 hour ago, saintant said:

We have received a lot of money in the window so far which is good. It would have been even better if we hadn't wasted so much money on poor signings over the past few windows because we'd have been in a strong position to spend a large chunk of the money received instead of which we are having to write off huge amounts. Having wasted all that money it would not surprise me if Dragan is now restricting what we spend and furthermore is taking some of the money to offset his already massive losses on this project. It's business I'm afraid, that's how I see it anyway. We'll probably spend a bit more but not a lot compared to what we've got in.

I agree with you.

Some seem to have quickly forgotten that we spent £130m-160m in the previous two windows, with almost nothing coming in the other way. So all this money coming in will balance that out to a degree. We've spent a decent sum on Charles and I fully expect us to spend a chunk on a striker if/when Che goes.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Will he get fowled a lot……….

• Haha 2

It feels now the squad is at a point (26 first teamers now) where any outgoings should be replaced now. Selling Adams / Tella will enable players in be brought in those areas. Ideally we want to shift Onauchu to bring in another forward as well to add some needed depth in that area. But it's still a very large squad! So I can't see the club moving now until we are weakened by further outgoings. 

Downes is the JWP replacement, and that will get wrapped up this week by the sounds of it as well! 

21 minutes ago, Boris Karloff said:

I don't think people realised how hard it would be coming down. With the gulf in wages between the championship and Prem it's going to be harder every year. 

Leicester seem to have navigated it brilliantly, losing their big hitters (Tielemans, Madison, Barnes) but keeping the next tier so far (Ihenacho, Daka, Dewsbury - Hall) and bringing in astute signings (Winks and looks like Harwood-Bellis). Leeds have had a nightmare with players desperate to leave and visible player unrest and a scattergun approach to signings. 

We seem to be in between the two with the big hitters gone and so far it's not looking great at keeping the second tier. 

But Burnley lost a lot of players last year and managed to go up with a mixture of youngsters and astute loans (Tella!) so hopefully we can do the same. But so far, Leicester appear to be far more convincing than we do. 

https://foxesofleicester.com/2023/08/20/enzo-maresca-leicester-city-leave/

Leicester appear to have eight players linked with moves away - most of whom don’t suit the new style or have downed tools. 

We’re not the only ones in this situation 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

https://foxesofleicester.com/2023/08/20/enzo-maresca-leicester-city-leave/

Leicester appear to have eight players linked with moves away - most of whom don’t suit the new style or have downed tools. 

We’re not the only ones in this situation 

I wonder what will happen with Justin. He has been rated very highly in recent seasons.

19 minutes ago, Boris Karloff said:

Not wanting to start yet another Saints vs Leicester comparison, but Daka is wanted by Monaco, so may leave still. Palace are interested in their keeper and Ihenacho, so it's not like they are much different to us. Players that can do it in the Prem usually find their way back into the Prem. They obviously went Winks, and we went for Charles. It will be very interesting to see how those two deals pan out, short and long term, as the transfer fees seemed similar. Not sure about wages... 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Not wanting to start yet another Saints vs Leicester comparison, but Daka is wanted by Monaco, so may leave still. Palace are interested in their keeper and Ihenacho, so it's not like they are much different to us. Players that can do it in the Prem usually find their way back into the Prem. They obviously went Winks, and we went for Charles. It will be very interesting to see how those two deals pan out, short and long term, as the transfer fees seemed similar. Not sure about wages... 

And of course many on here didn't want Winks anyway calling him sh*t, how you can say that about an established PL player with a few England caps I don't know.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Not since Dragan bought the club. A guy who has bought two more clubs since buying us… Have any other Championship clubs been part of a multiple club model?

Can you please stop trying to form a reasoned argument based on facts. It's unbecoming on this forum. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, James said:

Nixon reporting so heavy pinch of salt needed but Patrick Roberts is the kind of signing we should be making. Known quality in this league and has previously been thought of as having potential at a higher level - maybe we can unlock that. 

If we are talking Sunderland players would love us to take a look at Jack Clarke too.

And we were allegedly interested in Ross Stewart too. Is this lazy journalism based on our transfer searcher Darren Mowbray being the brother of Sunderland manager Tony Mowbray? Or is there something in this, and we could take a couple of Sunderland players this month?

2 hours ago, gio1saints said:

RM has said publicly he expects at least one or two incoming imminently , and more. 

I don’t have him down as a liar but shit happens 

The reset will not take 3 months or One transfer window. Nothing sustainably good happens overnight.

I remember Hassenhutl stating that we were categorically getting a new striker, and we all remember how that ended.....

• Like 1