Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 minute ago, sambosa75 said:

Fraser's a decent enough player.  He was starting to look OK at Newcastle under Howe before they fell out again and Newcastle started spending some money.

Certainly a better option than persisting with Edozie who needs to take a step back and gain some experience affecting games from off the bench.  Not really done anything yet to warrant a starting position.  Concern for him is even as an impact sub, that Amo-Ameyaw looks miles more dangerous.

He’s a buzzy terrier of a player, very different to the languid Edozie and gets up defenders noses. At this level he may well do ok for us. In our first three games Armstrong and Adams have had a similar effect in terms of movement able to unsettle and rattle championship defenders. If Fraser is up for it he could be a squad asset, but that’s the rub. I’d have him over Dnjepo and Aribo in terms of end product off the bench. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Did Fraser "down tools"? As I remember, his contract ran out in the June, football returned following the covid break and he refused to play out of contract or sign a new one for 10 games.

Thing is.... Howe was his manager when he didnt play for contractual reasons at Bournemouth.

I can imagine that may grate a bit still. Especially as Bournemouth were relegated and Howe left the club.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Signing Fraser pretty much confirms that one of Tella/Sulamana will be off then. Absolutely no need to ‘strengthen’ that area otherwise. And I use the word strengthen loosely. 

Ryan Fraser is miles off either Tella or Sulemana. Shocking bit of business strength wise.

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Have you been living under a rock for the past 2 seasons? How often have we seen this happen.

How many times have we agreed a price for a player only for the player to snub us? Not sure, maybe it happened with Gakpo, but it's hard to tell. There was so much false information being put out, it was difficult to know when our interest ended. Leeds seemed to be the ones that got snubbed at the 11th hour rather than us. Have there been others?  

6 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Would rather we tried to get Branthwaite from Everton on loan instead of Holgate. Did a good job at PSV last season and at 6,5 foot he would bring in some much needed height at the back. 

No chance Sean Dyche is letting a 6'5" CB leave his squad :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Is Fraser the Tella replacement? 

I doubt it, he's much more of a left winger than a right winger. I suspect Sulemana is off (which I've thought all summer)

Tella and Fraser the 'experienced' wingers who are more likely to start
Amo-Ameyaw and Edozie the younger options who can have 20-30 mins here and there to develop (especially Edozie, who still has no end product)

• Like 8

Not keen on Fraser - terrible attitude from the sounds of it, and that's not the sort of person we need around a young squad. A good player on his day (3 years ago?!), but Edozie has done fine in the matches so far and I'd say on the wing we (currently) have plenty of options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaintNewForest said:

I mean, we've made good money this summer, yet we seem reliant on loans & free transfers for incomings.

good spot.

I don't know, but maybe it has something to do with the fact we spent £160m last year and have had our TV income drop from £115m to £45m. Either that or we have lost the club cheque book.

• Like 1

It's not flashy but this window was all about the players that we hold onto. That's how teams go straight back up. Even Leeds confirmed this with some research they commissioned - before subsequently letting their whole team leave for nothing lol.

We have done a good job of shifting some of the deadwood (Orsic, Diallo, DCC), but it would obviously be good to get rid of more. The squad is still too big and we need more outgoings than incomings.

But the priority needs to be holding onto the players that have interest from better leagues (Tella, Adams, Sulemana, KWP etc). If those players go, then we should get upset about missing out on the likes of Piroe or Aarons. We will not get anywhere near as good players to replace them. How good the window was should be judged on who stays rather than who comes in.

I'm sure movement will be ramping up, especially after the weekends games. I'm still positive that we will have one of the best squads in the league by the end of the window. Even if we are still carrying a few duds like Onuachu and Lyanco. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chez said:

good spot.

I don't know, but maybe it has something to do with the fact we spent £160m last year and have had our TV income drop from £115m to £45m. Either that or we have lost the club cheque book.

Odd that Leeds have had the same drop, have barely brought in any money yet can afford multiple millions on a striker. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I wonder how those players who are just waiting for us to sign them are getting on? I'm assuming it's not Holgate or Downes as they are both loans. 

Holgate will be one of those players. We were linked right at the very start, so that move has been coming. Either a CB is departing very soon or Everton simply wanted to wait to see how preseason panned out and not leave themselves short by letting him go before now.

• Like 1

Odd that Leeds have had the same drop, have barely brought in any money yet can afford multiple millions on a striker. 

Because they had a huge cash injection after a takeover this summer probably has something to do with it. 

Just now, Chez said:

Holgate will be one of those players. We were linked right at the very start, so that move has been coming. Either a CB is departing very soon or Everton simply wanted to wait to see how preseason panned out and not leave themselves short by letting him go before now.

Sounds to me more like Swansea turned us down for Wood so we settled for plan B. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dman said:

so say your theory is right and they 'rushed' through a deal and still managed to agree a fee for less than originally quoted, what would stop us from matching that offer when news of the deal broke? (by the way, newsflash, clubs talk to agents so would have known way in advance of the press). 

As we know, personal terms are loosely agreed in advance of a deal with the club being agreed. Once a fee is settled, aside from a medical, what else is there to agree? 

You're talking shite. Its a good deal for Leeds, its not some form of rushed panic buy. A rushed panic buy is spending £20m on Big Paul. 

Probably that we don’t really need him

Ive not at all said its a bad deal, its a good deal, you’re just throwing out insults again as the conversation isn’t going your way, all I said was it appears Leeds expedited it for one reason or another

Just stop interacting with me tbh mate, your posts don’t really add anything with any substance anyway

Edited by Smirking_Saint
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Personally I have no opinion on whether Fraser will be a good signing... except that it seems a very strange signing when we already have so many wingers and AMs!

• Amo-Ameyaw
  • Edozie
  • Sulemana
  • Tella
  • S.Armstrong
  • Mara
  • Aribo
  • Doyle
  • Djenepo
  • Alcaraz
  • A.Armstrong.

OK, some of those are perhaps better in other positions and/or aren't wingers (A.Armstrong, Aribo, Alcaraz), some have never shown any consistency or enough quality (Djenepo) and some have not yet lived up to their potential, but even so there is still plenty of quality or potential quality there (Sulemana, Tella, Amo-Ameyaw, Doyle, S.Armstrong in particular).

I guess what isn't abundant in those positions is experience (apart from S.Armstrong), so I can only guess that we have signed Fraser to bring that experience.

People are bemoaning signing Holgate on the basis Everton don’t want him, but are gutted we didn’t sign Coady, who Everton also did not want. Personally don’t want either, but can’t use both as a stick to beat the club with. 

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Padding the squad with some experience then. Underwhelming so far

People have been crying out for more experience all summer. Like it or not, this is the kind of experience we’re likely to get. I don’t think we’re going to be pinning our promotion hopes on players like Fraser but he sounds like a useful option to have, if he wants to come here. 

I'd file both these loanee signings under solid but nothing special. I do wonder what our scouting network have done all summer of this is what gems we are unearthing. I did expect us to buy some of the best of the championship that wasn't yet in the prem rather than out of favour prem players on their way down. 

• Like 3

Just now, Appy said:

It wouldn’t because we currently don’t need him. 

Hugely debatable comment given we have no suitable number 9's other than Che. 

But its obvious that Che is going and a sensible plan would be to replace before we sell, so all things considered, we kinda do need him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

People have been crying out for more experience all summer. Like it or not, this is the kind of experience we’re likely to get. I don’t think we’re going to be pinning our promotion hopes on players like Fraser but he sounds like a useful option to have, if he wants to come here. 

Quite. In terms of acquiring experience (in this country, certainly) there's basically three routes:

1. PL players who need to take a drop down because they're stuck as squad options elsewhere (Holgate, Fraser)
2. Established Championship players who have been round the block and you think can step in and perform (Manning)
3. Established L1 players who you think have untapped potential to play higher up the leagues (Rickie Lambert types, and they are a rare breed)

I'm not really sure what other kind of experience we are likely to get aside from retaining some of the players who came down with us.

(Maybe a free agent or two... again, Manning)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Personally I'd rather play Ameyew, Tella and Edozie who are our own players and can learn during the season. All of them have looked pretty good so far. My worry is that we wi sell Tella and end up with Ryan Fraser taking his place. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd file both these loanee signings under solid but nothing special. I do wonder what our scouting network have done all summer of this is what gems we are unearthing. I did expect us to buy some of the best of the championship that wasn't yet in the prem rather than out of favour prem players on their way down. 

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by both Fraser and Holgate. 

What this does allow us to do, is have a good stab at promotion and then look to add more quality when we have a wider network of quality to buy from. 

• Like 4

Personally I'd rather play Ameyew, Tella and Edozie who are our own players and can learn during the season. All of them have looked pretty good so far. My worry is that we wi sell Tella and end up with Ryan Fraser taking his place. 

which is fine, so long as we don't sell Sulamana as well.. imo. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Ryan Fraser is a big no from me.

He will be a toxic signing for most fans which is reason enough not to sign him - even more so if he replaces Tella.  

He is too small for English football and 5ft4 - and he relied on his pace which has probably gone now he's 29.  Pus his attitude stinks and he played for a Bournemouth team that seemed to hate us for some odd reason.

The only light in this tunnel is Sulemana is off and we are cashing in on him before other people realise he's another Djneppo.  

Even then I'd rather rely on one of the youth team over Fraser.

Well.......you are a bundle of fun aren't you?

1 minute ago, Dman said:

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by both Fraser and Holgate. 

What this does allow us to do, is have a good stab at promotion and then look to add more quality when we have a wider network of quality to buy from. 

I hope so. It might be selfish but I was hoping for a signing to get me excited or at least get an attacking signing that seems like a bit of a coup and show the rest of the division we mean business after all of our sales. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We were told Mowbray would be permanently on the road for weeks but that is certainly not reflected in the signings we've made. Maybe he has done a lot of travelling but hasn't managed to unearth any gems. It's a strange window so far for us in terms of incoming players.

I hope and expect we’d sign the players we need for the way we want to play. I couldn’t care less if they were unwanted in the Prem, decent in the Champ or the top scorer in the Slovenian League. Jack Cork came from Chelsea, Rickie Lambert from Bristol Rovers, it’s irrelevant; both were important players in getting us promoted.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Appears we’re going for the Dennis Wise approach from that ultra successful 05/06 season. 

I really dislike Fraser. Awful attitude, gave up at Bournemouth because he was linked with Arsenal and Liverpool, then found the best move for him was a pre-takeover Newcastle and Howe has gone in there and kicked him straight out of the squad.

Thought Martin/Wilcox would have been a bit wiser to character’s like him. 

42 minutes ago, Dman said:

Why? If anything it helps us? 

Get us out of the division, no commitment for players who aren't good enough to step up, buy players who are. 

It's a sensible approach imo. 

Especially if it’s been difficult to get the players wanted to join that could be seen to make the step up. 

If promotion is achieved, it makes it harder to make the adjustment, as Nottingham Forest found out. That’s a bit of a risk. 

Just now, Lighthouse said:

I hope and expect we’d sign the players we need for the way we want to play. I couldn’t care less if they were unwanted in the Prem, decent in the Champ or the top scorer in the Slovenian League. Jack Cork came from Chelsea, Rickie Lambert from Bristol Rovers, it’s irrelevant; both were important players in getting us promoted.

Of course but signing players already proven in the championship gives you a greater chance of that signing being a success. 

27 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Ryan Fraser is a big no from me.

He will be a toxic signing for most fans which is reason enough not to sign him - even more so if he replaces Tella.  

He is too small for English football and 5ft4 - and he relied on his pace which has probably gone now he's 29.  Pus his attitude stinks and he played for a Bournemouth team that seemed to hate us for some odd reason.

The only light in this tunnel is Sulemana is off and we are cashing in on him before other people realise he's another Djneppo.  

Even then I'd rather rely on one of the youth team over Fraser.

Why would he be a toxic signing for most fans? 

You’re acting like we’re signing Harry Redknapp

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I’d say that about all our business except Downes to be honest 

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I hope so. It might be selfish but I was hoping for a signing to get me excited or at least get an attacking signing that seems like a bit of a coup and show the rest of the division we mean business after all of our sales. 

Personally, I think keeping Che and then 1 of Tella or Sulamana is exciting and a bit of a coup. Selling all 3, which granted is likely, will be a big concern. 

Downes is a fantastic signing at this level, imo. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 1