Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

Just now, Master Bates said:

Tyler Morton

Yeah, right, Liverpool. Accept that or definitely over £40m elsewhere. Tough choice. Lavia is going to be one of the very best. We should demand absolute top dollar, not someone not even good enough for Liverpool's ropey midfield

3 hours ago, Master Bates said:

Tyler Morton

Swap deals never happen, but he's actually a decent young player. Not like for like with Lavia, but has what I consider the "modern" midfielder requires, which is to be comfortable taking the ball under pressure and move it progressively. He can twist and carry the ball well. I can see him appealing to Martin's supposed ethos.

I'd like someone with a bit more physicality alongside him, though.

Not that any of this is happening.

Anybody seen Chelsea’s Charlie Webster play ? Apparently there has been european interest,but he might make a very useful addition on loan, and has local connections. Will certainly need first team football soon .

Edited by teamsaint

15 hours ago, DT said:

Yeah, right, Liverpool. Accept that or definitely over £40m elsewhere. Tough choice. Lavia is going to be one of the very best. We should demand absolute top dollar, not someone not even good enough for Liverpool's ropey midfield

Hard to play for Liverpool and Blackburn at the same time though, that is like saying Tella isn't a good player because he hasn't been good enough to get into our attack this season...

1 minute ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Hard to play for Liverpool and Blackburn at the same time though, that is like saying Tella isn't a good player because he hasn't been good enough to get into our attack this season...

Tyler Morton is a good player, and has a full season of Championship under his belt. This would be a decent option if Wilcox and Martin want him then I'm sure that would be okay.

17 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

The only club we should be selling Lavia to is City, or at least giving them first dibs. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. 

In order to keep this relationship we have with them sweet, you do not go and sell a player who they have a buy back clause for to a main rival. 

I have to say, although he's clearly going to the very top - I think a move to a top PL club right now will be detrimental to his career. He needs to be playing games. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dman said:

The only club we should be selling Lavia to is City, or at least giving them first dibs. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. 

In order to keep this relationship we have with them sweet, you do not go and sell a player who they have a buy back clause for to a main rival. 

I have to say, although he's clearly going to the very top - I think a move to a top PL club right now will be detrimental to his career. He needs to be playing games. 

You’ve got to convince City they want him. A year ago they didn’t and they invested in Phillips instead. I’d be surprised if they roll back everything to how it was a year ago for even more money. They were probably hoping we’d stay up, Lavia stayed with us and they come back next year when they know if Phillips had worked out. It doesn’t make much sense for them to come back now. 

6 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

You’ve got to convince City they want him. A year ago they didn’t and they invested in Phillips instead. I’d be surprised if they roll back everything to how it was a year ago for even more money. They were probably hoping we’d stay up, Lavia stayed with us and they come back next year when they know if Phillips had worked out. It doesn’t make much sense for them to come back now. 

I don't foresee Phillips staying at City next season, it would be terrible for his career. I could see a world where they shift Phillips (they'll recoup most of what they paid) and buy Lavia. 

One would expect Willcox would still have contacts / a degree of influence over City. 

If City don't want him, then that is fair game. But we should be giving them first refusal. 

55 minutes ago, Dman said:

Pretty sure City have the option to match any bid as part of the deal to get him here.

Just now, revolution saint said:

Pretty sure City have the option to match any bid as part of the deal to get him here.

Nope, not until end of next season and even in that case, its a £40m buy back clause (i.e we have to accept their offer if its £40m)

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

Only from the summer of 24/25 I believe. That's when all the City clauses kick in, in essence it was a 2 year loan from City - but relegation has muddied that a lot.

14 minutes ago, Dman said:

Nope, not until end of next season and even in that case, its a £40m buy back clause (i.e we have to accept their offer if its £40m)

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Only from the summer of 24/25 I believe. That's when all the City clauses kick in, in essence it was a 2 year loan from City - but relegation has muddied that a lot.

Fair enough - I thought the deal included the option to match any bid but I can't find it anywhere so you could be right.  Doesn't really matter though - if City want him then they'll get him (assuming Lavia wants to go back there).  In fact City are in a position to match any bid and still get him cheaper because of the sell on clause and I don't see a situation where they would be unaware of any potential deal.

Not sure the timing is right for a move to City though - Lavia needs to be playing regularly and that's probably less likely if he went back.

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Fair enough - I thought the deal included the option to match any bid but I can't find it anywhere so you could be right. 

Nothing stopping them matching anyone else's bid.

I can see Dortmund coming in for him. The price might be a little on the high side for them, but possibly they could offer a huge sell on and/or other ads ons. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

I hope City buy him and loan him to a Palace-type club, or abroad. I'd hate to see him wasted on a big six bench.

I could certainly forsee them buying him and loaning him to West Ham, who will need a Rice replacement.  I still think Chelsea is his most likely destination though, and given Pochs record of bringing on youngsters that'd be a good move for him IMO 

On 24/05/2023 at 18:51, Smirking_Saint said:

I wouldn’t be against Vinagre

Would prefer Manning or even Leif Davis from Ipswich

Davis is a good shout. He's just had a great season. He looks very composed and is a powerful lad. I think he takes Ipswich set pieces too, which might be needed next year. Can't see Ipswich allowing him to join us though. 

Not seen Manning for Swansea. Not much footage of him on the web either. I watched a QPR video and he doesn't look all that quick. I don't think he is anywhere near as good technically as Vinegre, but realistically he's a more likely signing.

Edited by Chez

13 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

I could certainly forsee them buying him and loaning him to West Ham, who will need a Rice replacement.  I still think Chelsea is his most likely destination though, and given Pochs record of bringing on youngsters that'd be a good move for him IMO 

Didn't the Enzo Fernandes signing effectively end their interest...at least for a year or two?

22 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

One player I'd love us to sign this year is Harvey Vale, Left footer. A number 10 but can play on the wing a bit too.  

Couldn't get in the Hull side last year, so he returned early to Chelsea. He's only young, but not a great endorsement.

49 minutes ago, Chez said:

Didn't the Enzo Fernandes signing effectively end their interest...at least for a year or two?

Yeah you're probably right.  They still have Kante as well so not exactly short in that position 

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Nothing stopping them matching anyone else's bid.

I can see Dortmund coming in for him. The price might be a little on the high side for them, but possibly they could offer a huge sell on and/or other ads ons. 

yeah i thought dortmund as well - they will have money to spend - maybe a bit outside their usual transfer spend as they usually like cheaper.

5 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

I hope City buy him and loan him to a Palace-type club, or abroad. I'd hate to see him wasted on a big six bench.

I think this is the most likely scenario. Whatever the exact rules of the sell-on are, I don't think City will let any other Champions League club have him in the summer. They'll just buy him back and loan him.

The second most likely scenario is we loan him to West Ham or Palace or whoever, snd then City activate the clause the year after and we get our money.

What I think we can be sure about is 1) City will have some say 2) He's never playing for us again

I must admit it’s funny scrolling through the #saintsfc on Twitter at the moment. The amount of hypothetical signings people come up with are quite delusional. 😂

I still think JWP will stay, and dare I say it, I think Lavia will too. Alcaraz will unless he got a worldie offer from say Italy.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I must admit it’s funny scrolling through the #saintsfc on Twitter at the moment. The amount of hypothetical signings people come up with are quite delusional. 😂

I still think JWP will stay, and dare I say it, I think Lavia will too. Alcaraz will unless he got a worldie offer from say Italy.

I’d say you’re pretty delusional if you think all of those 3 are staying!

You keep on saying you think JWP will stay - he 100% isn’t. He’s already gone, it’s been sorted for a few weeks now.

Lavia will probably go, but only for a big fee (CB Fry above thinks we’ll loan him out - wtaf??? 😂😂😂)

Alcaraz will likely stay.

But, I repeat, JWP is gone and it’s done

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chez said:

Aaron Collins is another player we should be looking at. Had a brilliant season for Bristol Rovers and they need to sell to recoup losses. 

Yeah player of the year in L1 - goal and assist machine - only read about him but he defo will be moving somewhere this summer i'd guess

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

So you’re taking the micky out of other fans, calling them delusional, but in the same breath think we’ll keep JWP, Lavia and Alcaraz, whilst also saying we should have bought in Potter as money talks.

Ok pal, you are officially the Saintsweb version of Saint Rob and Andrew.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Couple of posters here adamant JWP is going. That's fair enough. But if they know deals are complete, never any mention of where he is going. 

Pretty sure it was posted on here it’s a done deal to Newcastle a few weeks back. 

22 hours ago, Dman said:

they will be paying more than 40m on lawyers fees to sort out their financial irregularities.........

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It was all over toon twitter a few weeks ago. Wouldn't surprise me at all. 

I think Trippier even told people in an interview it was happening didn’t he? 

It’s incredibly obvious he’s going, his interviews recently are a massive giveaway too. 

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Yeah, them delusional people are, like, sooooo delusional.

Thank god you're here and we can relax because Lavia and JWP will be lining up for us against Preston and Huddersfield next season #excited 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Yeah, them delusional people are, like, sooooo delusional.

Thank god you're here and we can relax because Lavia and JWP will be lining up for us against Preston and Huddersfield next season #excited 

I do fear that we may start the season with them, knowing they are likely to be going at end of the window. (ridulously far into the season!) 

Wish, although not realistic, every who is going all go next week and we can move on. 

For me a new keeper should be high up in our list of priorities. I see Bazunu making the same mistakes next season and failing to save much. Doubt we'll be in the mix for promotion without a good bloke between the sticks. I worry we're going to stick with him just because we're in a lower league.

The Lavia one is fascinating. What will City do? I cant see, if they rate him, them letting Liverpool, United or Arsenal (even Chelsea) snap him up from under their noses.

So does the £40 million 2 year clause get thrown out the window ? I mean are their hands tied a bit because of that or do they just pay over the agreed price if/when the others make a firm bid?

I just want sexy fast and accurate footballers with a balance of 50% under 23 and the others over.

I want possession with intent and I want a lot a lot a lot of goals and no comedy defending.

Basically I want us to be a cross of prime Barca, Brazil and Man City with our budget.