Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

17 hours ago, teamsaint said:

So which players will the board actually fight to keep, that is , players likely to receive significant bids ?

JWP, Alcaraz, Che, Lyanco , Perraud, Bednarek, Stephens, Tella, Sully , DCC, SA ? 

I presume Mara is expected to stay ? Nobody seems to be discussing him.

edit : actually, nobody is likely to bid more than we owe on Sully, so I guess he is out of that equation .

Mara is off I think, him, Perraud and Diallo I believe have already stated they want out

JWP I think is gone, as is Orsic.. I think Stephens will stay at Bournemouth too

47 minutes ago, chiknsmack said:

Both, please. CB and DM are the big holes in our projected squad for next season, and they are both options for both spots (I know "Stephens at DM" is a meme, but Lyanco playing a bit further forward were he could use his technical skills on the ball more and where his defensive shenanigans wouldn't be such a liability would be fun). Plus if we're looking to have CBs who are comfortable on the ball, they'd be better than most.

------------

Onuachu to Luton would be a win-win for all parties. If they're going to attack the Prem with the same game plan as the Championship, he's exactly what they want up front. If we could get half our money back on him that'd be miles better than we did with Carrillo.

Nobody is about to give us half our money back on Tall Paul, he has done the square root of naff all since we signed him, our best hope is he turns out to be a mitrovic after a couple of seasons in the championship other wise we can kiss good bye to that transfer fee in it's entirety!  Same goes for Orsic anyone thinking we are getting more than a nominal fee for him at the minute is dreaming the lad hasn't looked like a football player since we signed him.

• Like 1

FWIW we ‘might’ end up losing Mara and Sulemana on loan deals as opposed to permanent deals, atleast for the first year

Shame as Id very much like to keep Sulemana

TBH I think we’ll lose about 12 to 15 potentially, all in, but the positives are that I believe we are ready to spend our way back to the premier league… the negatives are we tried to spend our way to stay in it and fucked it up…. So who knows 😂

• Like 2

We should only be selling JWP, Lavia, Sulemana, and Alcaraz if the offers are too good to refuse. They're on long contracts and are like as not our best assets. 

11 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

FWIW we ‘might’ end up losing Mara and Sulemana on loan deals as opposed to permanent deals, atleast for the first year

TBH I think we’ll lose about 12 to 15 potentially, all in, but the positives are that I believe we are ready to spend our way back to the premier league… the negatives are we tried to spend our way to stay in it and fucked it up…. So who knows 😂

Who are you thinking we'll loan Mara to? If he isn't good enough for the championship then it really was a bad buy sadly.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

It would be truly pathetic of the club to have blown that money on Sulemana to cheaply loan him away.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

My understanding is they can buy him back for a straight 40m in 2024 but also have a 15/20% sell on fee too, so either way they’re ok

Not convinced he makes their team anyway tbh… Arsenal/Liverpool/Chelsea even probably Utd will need a good No.6… City effectively have Rodri who is probably the best 6 in the world right now, Im not concerned about City

Surely we haven't agreed to them essentially signing him for ca £30m next summer? Would we be that daft? Maybe...

You'd like to think he's too good to not go for big money this summer.

I would say the thinking is, they don’t want to be here in the champ and will look to play maybe back in Ligue 1 with a view to returning if we’re promoted 

Its not necessarily as simple as we own them we’ll keep them, theres going to be some internal pressures, both tactically and agent driven… as well as the fact we simply have a swollen squad

So Id expect our better players to leave but I don’t (from what I hear but obviously the proof will be in the pudding) expect them to leave cheaply or easily

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Surely we haven't agreed to them essentially signing him for ca £30m next summer? Would we be that daft? Maybe...

You'd like to think he's too good to not go for big money this summer.

Im not completely sure what the sell on is, but I think its active now, and Im fairly sure its 40m next year but that has been influenced by what Ive read, Im not sure on figures

Id say we’ll cash in over the next few weeks tbh theres plenty of interest 

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

Im not completely sure what the sell on is, but I think its active now, and Im fairly sure its 40m next year but that has been influenced by what Ive read, Im not sure on figures

Id say we’ll cash in over the next few weeks tbh theres plenty of interest 

Yeah I agree mate. 

Hopefully if it's 20% + buy back clause they can;'t be used in tandem. i.e. if City buy him for the release clause, they don't get 20% cashback.

Would be nice to get a player or two in return if we can find the right players, but an older head or 2 might be good for us.

Mara has natural attributes and could be a good player if he wasn't so lazy and bone idle. Lazy and bone idle was our scouting ethos last summer with Aribo and Maitland-Niles also coming in for a manager who wanted a press. I suppose with Mara, having famous parents hasn't helped his cause as he has probably had everything handed to him on a plate all his life.

I was hoping Mara could be our 2023 Schneiderlin, where a drop in level could do him the world of good, also has the connection of being young, French and spending good money that would have been better suited going elsewhere at the time.

I would be disappointed if he was allowed to leave on loan, as the Championship could be the making of him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Mara is off I think, him, Perraud and Diallo I believe have already stated they want out

Oh no, what a shame. 

Id have hoped we’d have told them we want them out, rather than them dictating to us. 

Incredible how some of these below average players think they’re better than the championship…

That being said, I think Mara could develop into a half decent striker if he spent a season in the championship.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yeah I agree mate. 

Hopefully if it's 20% + buy back clause they can;'t be used in tandem. i.e. if City buy him for the release clause, they don't get 20% cashback.

Would be nice to get a player or two in return if we can find the right players, but an older head or 2 might be good for us.

Pretty sure it was reported that they would get the sell on fee, which would mean they can affectively buy him back for £35m

It’s really incredible that we could lose 10-12 regular first team players / starters this summer and come out with a squad that is no weaker. 

Amazing really when we spent 3-4 years battling a bloated squad of shite, to finally reduce the size, then just end up with another bloated squad of shite. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

Onuachu to Luton would be a win-win for all parties. If they're going to attack the Prem with the same game plan as the Championship, he's exactly what they want up front. If we could get half our money back on him that'd be miles better than we did with Carrillo.

We might not get a penny back, never mind half the transfer fee.

I guess the 40% cut in wages, assuming he has one, might bring his wages back into the realms of `workable' for Belgium clubs, but we'll still probably have to subsidise a bit.

JWP I think is gone, as is Orsic.. I think Stephens will stay at Bournemouth too

Jacob Tanswell alluded to lack of dressing room harmony centered around the French speaking contingent.  I wouldn't be bothered if they all left the club tbh. None of them have pulled up any trees and all easily replaceable. Sulemana who I assume speaks French maybe the only exception. Raw ingredients there to be a good player but needs right manager to allow him to play to hia strengths 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dman said:

It’s really incredible that we could lose 10-12 regular first team players / starters this summer and come out with a squad that is no weaker. 

Amazing really when we spent 3-4 years battling a bloated squad of shite, to finally reduce the size, then just end up with another bloated squad of shite. 

Small part of me does wonder if deliberately engineering a 40% squad-wide wage cut to shift the deadwood is something a mad disruptor might do. Not clear how we'd ever have gotten rid of these players otherwise. 

First I have heard of Mara wanting out.

There was rumoured (loan) interest in him in the January window from Marseilles, but obviously there was not much benefit to us in a loan. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Jacob Tanswell alluded to lack of dressing room harmony centered around the French speaking contingent.  I wouldn't be bothered if they all left the club tbh. None of them have pulled up any trees and all easily replaceable. Sulemana who I assume speaks French maybe the only exception. Raw ingredients there to be a good player but needs right manager to allow him to play to hia strengths 

Has he ? I actually missed that bit but will be interesting if some of the info comes out then, for instance Im fairly sure, like I stated, that all 3 french lads have effectively (but not officially) slapped in transfer requests and I ‘think’ was basically why Perraud was dropped from the squad last few weeks

Shame as all 3 CDAJ in the Champ but its not really the end of the world

Id rather have players that want to be here

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rich102 said:

Small part of me does wonder if deliberately engineering a 40% squad-wide wage cut to shift the deadwood is something a mad disruptor might do. Not clear how we'd ever have gotten rid of these players otherwise. 

This would have been written in under the Gao years tbf

16 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

So... 

Sell

Lavia - £40m

JWP - £35m

KWP - £20m

Salisu - £15m

ABK - £20m

Perraud - £5m

Diallo - £5m

Orsic - £2m??

Circa £140m and £330k pw wages

Released

Walcott

Ely

Caballero

£120k pw wages

Loanee Return

AMN

£30k pw wages

Unknown loans sell/keep

Tella

Stephens

Remaining

Bazunu

McCarthy

Livramento

DCC

Bednarek

Lyanco

Bree

Larios

Aribo

Armstrong

Djenepo 

Alcaraz

Sulemana

Edozie

Adams

Armstrong

Onoachu

Mara

It's all guesswork but given the press have put a £40m label on JWP, these numbers seem about right. Next question is does Dragan sell and stick or reinvest?

Last year, other than Burnley, no championship club spent more than £20m on transfers. Watford (£18m), Norwich (£14m), Hull (£11m), Middlesbro (£10m) then the next was Sunderland (£6m). Just goes to show you don't need to spend a lot.

• Like 1

Just now, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

It's all guesswork but given the press have put a £40m label on JWP, these numbers seem about right. Next question is does Dragan sell and stick or reinvest?

Last year, other than Burnley, no championship club spent more than £20m on transfers. Watford (£18m), Norwich (£14m), Hull (£11m), Middlesbro (£10m) then the next was Sunderland (£6m). Just goes to show you don't need to spend a lot.

I think Chelsea have proven, at an extreme level, that money doesn't equal anything.

We shouldn't need to spend a mini fortune to be competitive in this league, we just need to make sure we find ourselves our own Bastien's, Meyers, Benson etc. The bonus is that we already have one of their stars on our books - Tella!

2 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

Keeping hold of Tella would be huge. He's a proven Championship goal scorer.

Agree. Still think we need to find ourselves a couple of other strikers. Wouldn't also be averse to having Jack S. back in central defence. Midfield is going to be interesting. Expecting to keep Alcaraz but otherwise a whole new line-up there.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Has he ? I actually missed that bit but will be interesting if some of the info comes out then, for instance Im fairly sure, like I stated, that all 3 french lads have effectively (but not officially) slapped in transfer requests and I ‘think’ was basically why Perraud was dropped from the squad last few weeks

Shame as all 3 CDAJ in the Champ but its not really the end of the world

Id rather have players that want to be here

Perraud genuinely injured as he went off against Bournemouth I think it was,  hence why he's not been invited squad of late. I don't think none of the 3 managers particularly trusted him defensively. 

Salisu reportedly already engineered a move away. Peculiar situation as he arrived "injured" and will leave "injured".  

I think Mara is exactly the type of player who could really do with a year in the Championship so would be a mistake for all parties for him to leave IMO. He didn't look ready to properly affect games in the PL.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Perraud genuinely injured as he went off against Bournemouth I think it was,  hence why he's not been invited squad of late. I don't think none of the 3 managers particularly trusted him defensively. 

Salisu reportedly already engineered a move away. Peculiar situation as he arrived "injured" and will leave "injured".  

Ahh yes, he’s had surgery I think ‘perraud’ I put 2+2 together from some rumours and clearly made 8 there 😂

5 minutes ago, mitch01 said:

I think Mara is exactly the type of player who could really do with a year in the Championship so would be a mistake for all parties for him to leave IMO. He didn't look ready to properly affect games in the PL.

Yeah I like Mara, think there is a player in there potentially 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Sulemana may well speak French - but the official language of Ghana is English.

Tanswell's article  suggested the French Speakers and the African players had formed 'cliques' - whether this was one or two cliques was not clear. 

Mara, Djneppo, Lavia, Diallo and Perraud speak French.   ABK was born in Paris and his dad played for Cameroon (French speaking) - so although he's German he probably speaks French as well.

Oaunachu (Nigeria) plus Salisu and Sulemana (Ghana) speak English - but possibly French as well given the West African connection.

Would Aribo count as one of the African players given he plays for Nigeria but was born in London?  

Personally my instinct would be to get rid of any player that was part of a disruptive clique and didn't show commitment to the team.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Sulemana may well speak French - but the official language of Ghana is English.

Tanswell's article  suggested the French Speakers and the African players had formed 'cliques' - whether this was one or two cliques was not clear. 

Mara, Djneppo, Lavia, Diallo and Perraud speak French.   ABK was born in Paris and his dad played for Cameroon (French speaking) - so although he's German he probably speaks French as well.

Oaunachu (Nigeria) plus Salisu and Sulemana (Ghana) speak English - but possibly French as well given the West African connection.

Would Aribo count as one of the African players given he plays for Nigeria but was born in London?  

Personally my instinct would be to get rid of any player that was part of a disruptive clique and didn't show commitment to the team.

Sulemana also played in Ligue 1 for the best part of a couple of years. 

23 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Not yet. Still waiting for @manji to provide the relevant links as he mentioned it the other day.

As soon as I have it, I'll let you know ...

My maths were way off target obviously but I stick by everything else.  Do find it strange though we are right at the start of the biggest era in our history and your main interest is taking the piss out of my maths.

sad fuck.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, manji said:

My maths were way off target obviously but I stick by everything else.  Do find it strange though we are right at the start of the biggest era in our history and your main interest is taking the piss out of my maths.

sad fuck.

mate, we just got relegated having finished bottom with 25 points, in a pretty weak premier league

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

Match day and commercial income is about to go through the floor

I think you will be seen as very wrong. Anyway must stop arguing with ignorants like yourself only seem to be keen to stay negative.

I really think a lot of fans on here don’t understand the intricacies of modern business.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, manji said:

I think you will be seen as very wrong. Anyway must stop arguing with ignorants like yourself only seem to be keen to stay negative.

You think matchday and commercial income for season 23/24 will be higher than it was for 22/23?

Sure it will. Sure.

(Clue: it's not "negative" to say we are relegated and making a load of people redundant. It's actually happening sweetheart).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, manji said:

I really think a lot of fans on here don’t understand the intricacies of modern business.

how is telling the factual story being negative?

Does modern business success include losing 10s of millions of ££££ in  few months?

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I would say the thinking is, they don’t want to be here in the champ and will look to play maybe back in Ligue 1 with a view to returning if we’re promoted 

Its not necessarily as simple as we own them we’ll keep them, theres going to be some internal pressures, both tactically and agent driven… as well as the fact we simply have a swollen squad

So Id expect our better players to leave but I don’t (from what I hear but obviously the proof will be in the pudding) expect them to leave cheaply or easily

No thanks. They did f*** all to keep us in the league in the first place.

Just now, Farmer Saint said:

Do we have more than 200 office staff? Seems a lot. 

Office probably the wrong word - staff. 340 staff were contacted as being at risk of redundancy.

Obviously they wont sll go but enough will. Basically the opposite of what would happen at "the start of the biggest era on our history" as Manji described it. It's not the biggest era for them, it's the sack.

7 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Office probably the wrong word - staff. 340 staff were contacted as being at risk of redundancy.

Obviously they wont sll go but enough will. Basically the opposite of what would happen at "the start of the biggest era on our history" as Manji described it. It's not the biggest era for them, it's the sack.

Fair enough - yes it's sad times when anyone is at risk with their job - it will however be interesting to see how many go (and if we go up next season, how difficult it will be to re-recruit in a post Brexit world).

• Like 2

I am certainly not in the “we can’t sell anyone good, ever” camp.  And indeed many only sign for clubs of our profile as stepping stones promised through the recruitment process.  However…..

I absolutely don’t think we should sell players simply who state they want to go. Ignoring those who we would actively wish to exit, and simply hope for a decent price (Diallo, Orsic etc) I think we should be prepared to face down players, agents and potential buyers unless it makes great sense us to sell.  And we are in a much better position than say Leicester as we have many younger players with long contracts who will still fetch good fees in a year or two.

So I would say, reluctantly, if JWP and KWP attract a great bid then sell.  If not, don’t.  Both have played a part in having some good times at the club.  Salisu and ABK appear hugely negative about staying, and neither are irreplaceable.  So I am fine with those going if price is met.

However unless someone offers us ludicrous money (sufficiently early in the window to let us replace) I am happy saying to Lavia, Alcaraz, Kamaldeen etc “tough shit, you are going nowhere”.  The same with Tella, Tino etc.  I can see us raising £90K to £100K selling players in the previous paragraph which is an enormous amount, in addition to their wages.  Just for fear of offending some of our wallflowers we don’t need a fire sale.  And if we retain the vast majority and bring in a couple of midfielders I am confident we will be right up there, even if no one can be certain it will be quite enough to go up.  I would like to see something like the following in August for first game:

Bazanu/McCarthy

Tino, Bednarek, Lyanco, Perraud

Lavia, new midfielder

Kamladeen, Alcaraz, Tella

Adams