Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 hour ago, LeBizzier69 said:

No he isn’t, and Tella isn’t worth £25m.

But, to let these players leave that’s what we should be commanding. They’re our players under decent length contracts, and who we need next season. Clubs will need to cough up way over the odds if they want them. 

We can command what we want, but we'll need revenue, and ultimately will have to sell players for the best price we can get. It's wrong to think that we're in the driving seat here. We're now a championship club who'll have a load of players wanting the wages on offer in the premier league. If we get anything like £40m for Alcaraz feel free to tell me I was wrong. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

We can command what we want, but we'll need revenue, and ultimately will have to sell players for the best price we can get. It's wrong to think that we're in the driving seat here. We're now a championship club who'll have a load of players wanting the wages on offer in the premier league. If we get anything like £40m for Alcaraz feel free to tell me I was wrong. 

Agree, and nobody should be paying that sort of cash for him. 
But, with the sales of the big names plus those leaving and off the wage bill, we should be demanding big money for players who can (most probably) make a big impact next year.

There’s no point in selling Tella, Alcaraz etc for less than top dollar because a) we’ll have lost two decent players for not much cash, and b) we’ll still then have to stump up decent cash just to replace them. They’re worth more to us and a push for next season than they are being sold for anything less than top money (for their level of player). 

• Like 4

We will 100% be selling Lavia, JWP, Salisu and likely KWP, so theres the guts of £100m +. We'll also be clearing the decks of Moi, Walcott and AMN so there will be some wages saved there. And on top of any other squad trimming sales for those deemed surplus to requirements, our owner isnt exactly short of cash/ambition either.

Therefore for the likes of Alcaraz, Sulemana, ABK, Tino etc, we should be trying to build a good squad around them and playing hardball with any offers we receive (unless they're absolutely ridiculous fees)

• Like 6

So if the Athletic article is to be believed, we may have a larger firesale than most were expecting. If it comes to pass, it may be that the only player we'd like to keep who will stay is Alcaraz. Shame that Sulemana wants to go and that Tella will probably end up leaving. Combine that with kwp, jwp, ABK, Lavia, Salisu and possibly Bednarek and Lyanco and we really are going to need some substantial resources in.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

This entirely!

You can already work out the ones that’ll go permanently and those that’ll only be loaned out because of their wages.

I think JWP will stay. I think Alcaraz will stay.

Lavia and KWP I think will be very 50/50 - but as above, if there’s an offer that makes sense or is hard to turn down they’ll probably go.

Onuachu, Orsic, Aribo, maybe even Diallo will probably be loaned out because of wages.

Wow. JWP staying? Lavia and KWP 50/50?

Sunstroke?

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

So if the Athletic article is to be believed, we may have a larger firesale than most were expecting. If it comes to pass, it may be that the only player we'd like to keep who will stay is Alcaraz. Shame that Sulemana wants to go and that Tella will probably end up leaving. Combine that with kwp, jwp, ABK, Lavia, Salisu and possibly Bednarek and Lyanco and we really are going to need some substantial resources in.

I think this was always going to be the case, we have a lot of talented young players who will be of interest to top flight teams. We made a right old mess of the squad mix up which means we never got the best out of those young players ourselves, so we'll now have to endure seeing them tear it up in a team with a better mix.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think this was always going to be the case, we have a lot of talented young players who will be of interest to top flight teams. We made a right old mess of the squad mix up which means we never got the best out of those young players ourselves, so we'll now have to endure seeing them tear it up in a team with a better mix.

I don't think it was always destined to be the case. I'm hoping we play hardball with Alcaraz, tella and maybe Sulemana because those are three we could realistically keep who would be brilliant. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I wouldn't be too disappointed if they all went (other than notable exceptions of Alcaraz and Tino), with the expectation that JWP & Lavia will be off. 

These are players who have failed season upon season. Packed it in and bottled it every time the going got tough. 

I'm genuinely excited by the thought of a rebuild of practically the whole squad, although I do think it means that we wont go up this year as a result.

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I’ve not read the Athletic article, but why do you think their account of a big firesale is correct? Are there specific quotes from anyone of authority in the club to substantiate the claim? From what I have read, SR have publicly stated that an immediate push for promotion is a primary objective, so I’m not sure the two positions entirely align. Sure there will be a few departures (AMN, Theo, Ely) and maybe one or two bigger name sales (e.g. JWP, Lavia), but that’s not really a firesale.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I’ve not read the Athletic article, but why do you think their account of a big firesale is correct? Are there specific quotes from anyone of authority in the club to substantiate the claim? From what I have read, SR have publicly stated that an immediate push for promotion is a primary objective, so I’m not sure the two positions entirely align. Sure there will be a few departures (AMN, Theo, Ely) and maybe one or two bigger name sales (e.g. JWP, Lavia), but that’s not really a firesale.

I heard from someone at Staplewood a lot are going but the recruitment is under way and they thought it was looking positive again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I heard from someone at Staplewood a lot are going but the recruitment is under way and they thought it was looking positive again.

Well I hope they’re working hard and fast to get everything in place sooner rather than later. If it’s as massive a re-build as this suggests (including a completely new coaching team), a long pre-season and meaningful friendlies will be essential to get the team firing on all cylinders and with leaders being established in the team.

Actually I don’t think such a big re-build is a bad thing given that we need a team better than last seasons to mount a credible push for promotion. It’s just a significant risk and getting it wrong could put us in an even worse position. It also reminds me a bit of the position the club found itself in the Lowe era when we went down…relying on youngsters…but let’s hope not.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

In fairness, a lot need to go. We've a massively bloated squad, most of which are a load of shit. 

Just because of contract status alone, its obvious we'll lose 6-7, that's not factoring in the 2 or 3 decent players who people might want. 

I genuinely suspect that SR have expected this summer to be one of overhaul since the day they came in - I guess the only difference is now we'll need to look at different targets. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't think it was always destined to be the case. I'm hoping we play hardball with Alcaraz, tella and maybe Sulemana because those are three we could realistically keep who would be brilliant. 

a front 4 of; 

Tella Alcaraz Sulemana 

Striker (Adams ideally although unrealistically) 

Is ridiculously strong in the championship. 

• Like 1

I can't see for a second that Tella will line up for us in the Championship.

The only "hope" we have is that Kompany sees him as a Billy Sharp figure who won't cut it in the Prem....and decides to look elsewhere.

But I doubt that - they will stump up the £18-20m required to get him in permanently.

45 minutes ago, Dman said:

I wouldn't be too disappointed if they all went (other than notable exceptions of Alcaraz and Tino), with the expectation that JWP & Lavia will be off. 

These are players who have failed season upon season. Packed it in and bottled it every time the going got tough. 

I'm genuinely excited by the thought of a rebuild of practically the whole squad, although I do think it means that we wont go up this year as a result.

If it meant getting rid of the useless bastards we have had to put up with over the last 2 or 3 seasons, I'll take another year in the champs to do a proper rebuild. Sick of that Saturday afternoon feeling of resignation as the same old crap is served up again and again.

Could this be far off? 

New keeper/ GB

Tino,(Bree) 

2 of our existing 6 CBs

Ryan Manning (Larios) 

Matt Grimes (Diallo) 

Smallbone (Aribo) 

Alcaraz (Stu) 

Sulemana (Edozie) 

Che (A Armstrong) 

Tella (Djenepo) 

Thats without

JWP

Lavia

KWP

Perraud

Ely

Orsic

Onuachu

Theo

Mara

Plus likely to see some youth breaking through into the squad

Doyle

Ballard?? 

The club want to trim the squad, and quite a few will move on for various reasons (leaving UK, going to top club etc). 

But

- there won't be a 'fire sale' 

- we won't recruit loads and bloat the squad 

- we can afford to refuse offers for players we want to keep

- we won't need to spend anywhere near the amount we maybe raising. 

If you look at championship team of the season, any season, it won't have many positions with better players than we will probably have. 

We need balance, and to reset the negative, weak mentality and regain confidence. How often have we played well for a period, had VAR decision against us and immediately collapse and concede? 

I don't know how quickly the manager will turn this around, but I'm far from panicking!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, West end Saints said:

Could this be far off? 

New keeper/ GB

Tino,(Bree) 

2 of our existing 6 CBs

Ryan Manning (Larios) 

Matt Grimes (Diallo) 

Smallbone (Aribo) 

Alcaraz (Stu) 

Sulemana (Edozie) 

Che (A Armstrong) 

Tella (Djenepo) 

Thats without

JWP

Lavia

KWP

Perraud

Ely

Orsic

Onuachu

Theo

Mara

Plus likely to see some youth breaking through into the squad

Doyle

Ballard?? 

The club want to trim the squad, and quite a few will move on for various reasons (leaving UK, going to top club etc). 

But

- there won't be a 'fire sale' 

- we won't recruit loads and bloat the squad 

- we can afford to refuse offers for players we want to keep

- we won't need to spend anywhere near the amount we maybe raising. 

If you look at championship team of the season, any season, it won't have many positions with better players than we will probably have. 

We need balance, and to reset the negative, weak mentality and regain confidence. How often have we played well for a period, had VAR decision against us and immediately collapse and concede? 

I don't know how quickly the manager will turn this around, but I'm far from panicking!

Midfield needs to be a bit stronger IMO.  I wouldn't want to go into the season with Grimes,  Diallo, Smallbone and Aribo.  Grimes might be OK but the others either aren't proper CM or not good enough at it.  Otherwise it's probably decent enough.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The only "hope" we have is that Kompany sees him as a Billy Sharp figure who won't cut it in the Prem....and decides to look elsewhere.

But I doubt that - they will stump up the £18-20m required to get him in permanently.

That would be a club record for Burnley, but I'm not sure how much that means in the grand scheme of things nowadays.

Will be interesting to see how much we hold out for.

Just now, revolution saint said:

Midfield needs to be a bit stronger IMO.  I wouldn't want to go into the season with Grimes,  Diallo, Smallbone and Aribo.  Grimes might be OK but the others either aren't proper CM or not good enough at it.  Otherwise it's probably decent enough.

Totally agree - going into the season with those choices would be a disaster.

Also, no mention of Stephens (coming back or sale to Bournemouth?) or our existing CB’s - can’t imagine ABK, Salisu or Bednarek wanting to stay, leaving just Lyanco so a big re-build of our defence and that’s another good reason to ensure DM positions are up to the job.

15 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I honestly think he's exactly that. Never looked like he had the composure to be a top flight forward. He's scored a few in the championship granted, but then so did Adam Armstrong. 

at £18-£20m it would be a no brainer for us to sell. 

21 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I hope you're wrong - we'd be nuts to sell the player of the league last year with still a few years left on his deal for that amount. We'd only end up splaffing that and more on someone who probably isn't proven....or who offered less in the league last year.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Speculation is worrying low on the likes of Diallo and Djenepo. Surely their agents should be getting their names out there, that's at least two we need to get rid of.

I think both of them would make decent Championship players, way more their level.
I may be alone, but I dont think we need to sell the entire squad and bring in 15 new players, I hope we do keep some nucleus of the squad and add to it. I think our 'better' players (JWP, KWP, Lavia, etc) will move on, but some of the more 'mediocre' players (Diallo, Djenepo, Adams, Armstrong, etc) could make decent Championship players. 
Just ask a Burnley fan (I have), they hated their entire squad this time last year, and love most of them again now...

Edited by St Louis
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

When the Athletic started it was a quality site but they are not making the money they were expecting and have resorted ( like every other football “ news “ source ) to rumours to use as clickbait.

putting a story about Southampton fire sale is going to generate a lot of clicks.

” Saints will be selling some players, keeping some and buying a few “ hasn’t got quite the same impact. Also “ firesale “ hints at we are in financial difficulty which is complete bollocks.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, manji said:

When the Athletic started it was a quality site but they are not making the money they were expecting and have resorted ( like every other football “ news “ source ) to rumours to use as clickbait.

putting a story about Southampton fire sale is going to generate a lot of clicks.

” Saints will be selling some players, keeping some and buying a few “ hasn’t got quite the same impact. Also “ firesale “ hints at we are in financial difficulty which is complete bollocks.

It doesn't mention fire sale at any point. Its titled "Southamptons summer window: Busy'

Then summarises (mostly all of what we've previously seen) players likely to leave / interest elsewhere and players we might be interested in. 

It's a pretty fair article all be it nothing new. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't think that is true.

The club will want sales for certain players without futures. And they'll probably sanction 1 or 2 big departures as it will raise money. But i imagine there is a perceived limit to how much of a refresh can be managed given the turmoil in upper management, so i would anticipate most of our long term contract players will be stay - unless ofc we get offered silly money and/or think we can effectively spend it. All of which probably translates to a couple of those players racing to be the ones that get out of the door (i.e. lavia, sulemana, JWP, ABK, Tella etc.) before the club slam it shut on further departures. Ultimately we know we need a certain amount to balance the books, and we hold the cards with those players re contract length. So yeah, we'll lose the likes of KWP, Salisu, Adams, one or two of the above mentioned), but outside of that we can flog most of our players and i wouldn't care. Reckon we'll keep Baz, Tino, Perraud, and smallbone regardless).

Of course i could be wrong, and SR/Wilcox feel happy managing the sales of most of the squad, banking a lot of wonga, and then spending it all rapidly and efficiently this summer on lower reputation players....

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, manji said:

Not one bit of the article hints at any financial difficulty. Quite the opposite in fact. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, manji said:

Yeah, that article from Jacob was had the usual drip of meaningful content, a load of aggregated rumours with no meat behind them, and no real insight. Even had someone commenting underneath that he should win the best reporter award 😄😂... You'll probably find as much / more information aggregated on here this summer.

I think the reality is that Alfie House is the man with the inside tact these days.

Also is there a journlistic firm out there that use "anonymous sources" more regularly than the Athletic? 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Not one bit of the article suggests there will be a fire sale. The article does quite correctly suggest we need a massive revamp however but nothing about this summer suggests ‘firesale’. 

It quite clearly details how A) not many of our squad are capable of playing the way Wilcox and Martin want. B) Thankfully some of those who aren’t capable are wanted by other teams so will likely leave and C) We’ll be looking to recruit for the specific style we want. 

For the first time in a while there actually seems to be some planning. Obviously the actions of said plan is key.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Yeah, that article from Jacob was had the usual drip of meaningful content, a load of aggregated rumours with no meat behind them, and no real insight. Even had someone commenting underneath that he should win the best reporter award 😄😂. Reality is you'd find as much / more information aggregated on here this summer.

I think the reality is that Alfie House is the man with the inside tact these days.

Also is there a "journalistic" firm out there that use "anonymous sources" more regularly than the Athletic? 

The consistent insistence of telling everyone about it in every article is really patronising as well. Everyone knows why someone is anonymous, we don’t need to be told about it every 3 paragraphs.

I don’t think there’s any difference in ITK between the local reporters. Reality is they have the same sources and will be leaked the same info fairly often. It’s just how they report it that differs.

I do find it funny that a lot of Tanswells scoops come in tow with another journalist though, like a more well connected journalist at another club (transfer wise). Sheldon especially is still well connected at Saints evidently.

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, manji said:

The article doesn’t say “firesale” at all.

Just says significant overhaul, which when you have a squad of 30 (mostly) average players it’s a necessity. 

The biggest shock for me in the article is that AMN has prem interest.. fck me his agent must be good.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, manji said:

For once I agree with you. The Athletic is hardly worth reading. They don’t even know when Wilcox is actually starting. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

The article doesn’t say “firesale” at all.

Just says significant overhaul, which when you have a squad of 30 (mostly) average players it’s a necessity. 

The biggest shock for me in the article is that AMN has prem interest.. fck me his agent must be good.

Don’t think there’s anything shocking about that at all. Solid player, versatile, solid experience and despite some weird belief on here he’s clearly got a good attitude. Throw in the fact that he’s free and he’s a prime target for anyone looking for a squad player. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

For once I agree with you. The Athletic is hardly worth reading. They don’t even know when Wilcox is actually starting. 

I’m not Tanswells biggest fan and not going to defend the Athletic because it caters for all different things and people can have their opinions (Saints coverage has always been poor but that’s because the quality of journalist has never been great for us, so no surprise Saints centric fans don’t love it) but what do you mean they don’t know when Wilcox starts? He’s clearly been working behind the scenes for a while now but has yet to be ‘unveiled’ here because of a contract with City. Not sure The Athletic have stated anything differently have they? 

58 minutes ago, manji said:

That Athletic article, as ever, is well written and does not mention any "fire sale" but simply states those likely to stay and those who are likely to leave with possible transfer targets added to the mix.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Don’t think there’s anything shocking about that at all. Solid player, versatile, solid experience and despite some weird belief on here he’s clearly got a good attitude. Throw in the fact that he’s free and he’s a prime target for anyone looking for a squad player. 

Solid? Fair enough if that’s your view, to me nothing about his time here was solid - just a half arsed liability, who doesn’t know what his best position is. 

I would also says it’s not clear at all he has a good attitude.

1 hour ago, manji said:

The article doesn't mention fire sale or anything remotely like that.

Sample quote:

Southampton are likely to be one of the highest spenders in the Championship — if not the highest.

Not sure what coming onto this forum and just lying is getting you.

Remind us about your £400m bullshit again...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

Speculation is worrying low on the likes of Diallo and Djenepo. Surely their agents should be getting their names out there, that's at least two we need to get rid of.

That was always going to be the case though. Moussa, Diallo, Lyanco, Armstrong, Aribo - those sorts will be very, very hard to shift given their low-ability, yet crazy wage.

It'll be loans if anything for that lot.

Edited by S-Clarke

25 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I’m not Tanswells biggest fan and not going to defend the Athletic because it caters for all different things and people can have their opinions (Saints coverage has always been poor but that’s because the quality of journalist has never been great for us, so no surprise Saints centric fans don’t love it) but what do you mean they don’t know when Wilcox starts? He’s clearly been working behind the scenes for a while now but has yet to be ‘unveiled’ here because of a contract with City. Not sure The Athletic have stated anything differently have they? 

The Athletic is no different to anyone other outlet for transfer stories. They get some right and they get some wrong. Agents play a big part in spreading rumours to aid their agendas. However the Athletic has always been decent for read ups about tactical insights. Both Jacob and the guy before Dan Sheldon whose names escapes me wrote some interesting pieces about saints tactical and systematic nuances. 

It is clear the following will leave:-

JWP - Brighton?

Lavia - Chelsea?

KWP  - Palace?

Salisu - Newcastle?

Perraud - European team

Tella - Burnley

Stu Armstrong - Scotland

Adams - Forest/Everton?

ABK - Germany, AMN - Luton?  Ely, Orsic, Djneppo, Onuachu and Theo. Whilst we are it, get rid of all the players we loaned out last year as they are not good enough. With all this lot going, I suppose it is a firesale.

All the above I expect to go but the players I would be gutted to see leave are Alcaraz and Tino.

Baz suits the new manager's style of football and another year on will do him and us good. So my team with whats left would be:-

----------------Baz ------------

Tino----Lyanco----Bednarek (c) ---- ?  

--------------?--------------

Aribo---Alcaraz---Edozie

-------Sulemana----?-----

• Confused 3

43 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

No but you would think they would know what date he actually gets to put his feet under the desk. It’s not really important but it just shows how he is talking to lots of (anonymous) monkeys but not many organ grinders. The Athletic’s coverage was good under Carl Anka but since then it’s just the Echo on steroids. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

The Athletic is no different to anyone other outlet for transfer stories. They get some right and they get some wrong. Agents play a big part in spreading rumours to aid their agendas. However the Athletic has always been decent for read ups about tactical insights. Both Jacob and the guy before Dan Sheldon whose names escapes me wrote some interesting pieces about saints tactical and systematic nuances. 

Have to disagree here but it’s subjective so whatever floats your boat. I personally find/found Jacobs and Carls tactical insights all a bit forced. ‘Here’s some graphs, here’s some pictures’ There’s much better tactical stuff on that site alone by others but I guess if people aren’t reading those then they can’t compare and think the Saints stuff is decent. 

I’m always cringed out by Jacob’s continued use of the word ‘pausa’ as if he’s some sort of tactical genius and Carl was always and continues to be his own biggest fan desperate to sound good without much detail. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Solid? Fair enough if that’s your view, to me nothing about his time here was solid - just a half arsed liability, who doesn’t know what his best position is. 

I would also says it’s not clear at all he has a good attitude.

I just don’t think there’s any evidence to suggest he has a bad attitude. Quite the opposite. He has had no issue playing in various roles, even in game, he’s kicked up zero fuss in his career or at Southampton when being in and out of teams and we’ve just had a manager who seemed to put attitude and commitment at the forefront of his selections who picked him almost every week he could. 

There’s a myth that someone who doesn’t belt around a pitch at 90mph is half arsed, and bad attitude digs are normally thrown at players like that and it’s weird but people show themselves differently. This guy has been reliable from the start in terms of application and just because he made the odd mistake in a season where everyone has been shit for some reason his attitude is questioned. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, egg said:

Because he's not worth anything like £40m. 

Some of the values people put on our players is mental. 

Surely Saints fans more than anyone understand player value at this point?

No he isn't worth £40m. No we shouldn't sell him for less. Why? Because he has 4 years left on his deal and by all accounts doesn't seem like he's desperate to leave. 

Player value is value to your club at that specific point. We're going to generate enough money through alternate player sales, we don't need to start selling our good assets for reasonable prices because that's "what they're worth".

The easiest opportunity financially to get out of the Championship is the first year back. We have a real opportunity with some good players on good deals who can help us get there. Put our foot down for a fucking change.

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I just don’t think there’s any evidence to suggest he has a bad attitude. Quite the opposite. He has had no issue playing in various roles, even in game, he’s kicked up zero fuss in his career or at Southampton when being in and out of teams and we’ve just had a manager who seemed to put attitude and commitment at the forefront of his selections who picked him almost every week he could. 

There’s a myth that someone who doesn’t belt around a pitch at 90mph is half arsed, and bad attitude digs are normally thrown at players like that and it’s weird but people show themselves differently. This guy has been reliable from the start in terms of application and just because he made the odd mistake in a season where everyone has been shit for some reason his attitude is questioned. 

I don’t think we’ve been watching the same AMN. Being crap in every position you’re asked to play doesn’t make you versatile. We put out one of the poorest teams in Premier League history and AMN never really looked like displacing any of them. He just filled in here and there and looked mostly disappointing.

• Like 3