Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

In terms of building a team and what is required, we have a recent example to reference. If you look at the team who were last promoted with us we had Davis, Fox, Butterfield, Jos, Hammond, Sharp who were regulars every week in that side - but their level was Championship. We shouldn't be against signing ''Championship players'' because they won't do it for us in the PL, we're not in the PL. When we get to the PL they will be replaced as we did with Sharp, Butterfield, Jos, Hammond etc.

We have Tino, Alcaraz, Sulemana (maybe), Tella (maybe), to build the experience around - then you'd expect those players to step up in the PL and continue their progress, then we'll sell them to Liverpool by 2028.

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

In terms of building a team and what is required, we have a recent example to reference. If you look at the team who were last promoted with us we had Davis, Fox, Butterfield, Jos, Hammond, Sharp who were regulars every week in that side - but their level was Championship. We shouldn't be against signing ''Championship players'' because they won't do it for us in the PL, we're not in the PL. When we get to the PL they will be replaced as we did with Sharp, Butterfield, Jos, Hammond etc.

We have Tino, Alcaraz, Sulemana (maybe), Tella (maybe), to build the experience around - then you'd expect those players to step up in the PL and continue their progress, then we'll sell them to Liverpool by 2028.

Imagine if somehow our midfield winds up as JWP, Lavia, Alcaraz. Plus Tella and Sulemana on the wings 🤩.

(I know this is very unlikely).

1 hour ago, West end Saints said:

What we have lacked is character and organisation. 

If we sign these two CMs from Swansea, experienced in this league, both decent strong personalities by all accounts, who can influence the team with the managers methods, it sounds ideal. 

Surround that with likes of Tino, Alcarez, Tella, Sulemana, Ballard, Mara, Smallbone, Doyle, Edozie, Che, Adam A, Aribo

Then we will do well. 

I'd rather we play my Gran than Aribo. Aside from the pre-season friendlies he played in and perhaps the first 1-2 games of the season he has done nothing to convince me of his ability as a professional footballer. Lazy player who can't pass, tackle or shoot on target.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Imagine if somehow our midfield winds up as JWP, Lavia, Alcaraz. Plus Tella and Sulemana on the wings 🤩.

(I know this is very unlikely).

That's allegedly a £200 million midfield. We had that last year, except Tella, but still stank out the PL.

Just goes to show how important a decent coaching set is.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Isn't he out of contract in a year though? Could force our hand.

If he can provide the goals which push us to promotion, he’d be well worth keeping even if he leaves on a free next summer. Any transfer fee we get now will be insignificant compared to PL money. Plus if we do go up I wouldn’t care if he buggers off anyway, he’s not a PL standard player.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If he can provide the goals which push us to promotion, he’d be well worth keeping even if he leaves on a free next summer. Any transfer fee we get now will be insignificant compared to PL money. Plus if we do go up I wouldn’t care if he buggers off anyway, he’s not a PL standard player.

My thoughts exactly...spot on

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

What if we don't go up?

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Surprised he'd go there over United. I expect being able to stay at home has a lot to do with it. 

I think it’s like most things - Utd like him, but centre-mid probably Isn’t their priority - especially when it’s a £100m one.

28 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

#JWP_Watch

They'll be able to pay then £52m we want then, but we know it'll be closer to £40m with add ons included. Used right, that can more than enough to mould a team for promotion next season. 

Edited by Sfcphilc

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Then he'll leave onm a free and we move on. That's assuming his agent isn't just bullsh*tting and he does have genuinely PL interest, which is far from assured, given how crap he's been.

my point was, that if he walks on a free, we would then have £0m to invest on a new striker to help us go up in the second season of parachute payments. Football clubs don't like players walking on frees. It won't happen here, unless the offers are less than £10m.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

My thoughts exactly...spot on

It sure where people get the idea that Che is suddenly going to score tonnes of goals. He’s still a poor finisher. Hey ho. 

10 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

We have to build a team that is good enough not only to stay in the PL but to challenge consistently for a top ten position there. We need a long term strategy for success not a quick fix knee jerk reaction to relegation that means possible success next year but abject failure and relegation in the following.

The point Im making is there are very few teans able to put together a championship squad of up and coming players and see that squad be kept relatively the same into a prem season, it doesn’t happen for a few reasons;

1. Any decent talent is cherry picked before long, whether you remain a Champ side or bottom half Prem side any talent is gone before potential is realised

2. Despite Rasmus’ statement suggesting otherwise the gulf between Champ and Prem is too large, and so you will need to likely reinforce when you reach the PL anyway

As such, the standard MO for Championship promotion is to build a cohesive squad with a bit if experience that can get you up, then add some talent to that in your first premiership year to try to survive and then assess from there

3 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Go look at season before we bought him? Might be a clue there.

2016–2019Birmingham City 116(34)

2019–Southampton 123(25)

I mean, he's no Haaland. Poundland, maybe.

18 hours ago, macca155 said:

That's allegedly a £200 million midfield. We had that last year, except Tella, but still stank out the PL.

Just goes to show how important a decent coaching set is.

The difference is there’s only one player in that group prepared to get stuck in and tackle, rather than stand-off and watch opposition players stroll past. Guess which one?!

1 hour ago, DT said:

2016–2019Birmingham City 116(34)

2019–Southampton 123(25)

I mean, he's no Haaland. Poundland, maybe.

of course years dont tell the full story.

11 as a 19 year old for Sheffield Utd in League one

7 as a 20 year old for Brum in the Championship

5 as a 21 year old for Brum in the Championship

22 as a 22 Year old for Brum in the Championship

he's about to turn 27

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nolan said:

he's about to turn 27

He missed from virtually in the  goal net last time we played Burnley at home.  He missed a free header into an open goal from inside the 6 yard box against Wolves.  He misses countless chances, he’s got no composure and tries to break the net with every shot.

If he leaves, I won’t be too upset.    

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Nolan said:

he's about to turn 27

He peaked at 22.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

He peaked at 22.

In a lower league...

No doubt his confidence was affected, and the lack of quality in the squad hasn't helped at all. If we had him next season with Tella and Sulemena, Alcaraz behind and us playing possession football, he could bag 20+ goals again. He's a decent play if not sensational, but his non goalscoring work is also superb at times. We probably won't get a better striker than him next season.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, charliemiller said:

Has Alex Scott been linked with us yet , top player and started life at saints academy ....think we should buy him back lol 

Only if no Prem clubs buy him this summer would he consider a `horizontal' move, all be it maybe we could pay him a bit more than Bristol City should we sell a shed load of players and have available funds. 

18 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

We probably won't get a better striker than him next season.

That is the concern. He ain't great, but if your life relied on Mara, Armstrong, Onuachu and Che to score 20 goals/get us promoted next season, Che would have to be the guy and the other three would have you workin through the bucket list pretty damn quickly.

Whether we could sell for say £15m and reinvest in a striker that might deliver similar, Piroe perhaps, I am not sure. However, you'd think that is what is going to be required, as he will want to stay in the Prem (they all do). Not a huge number of options though. Perhaps Burnley, Sheffield United and Luton? Everton were interested last summer, but are they still keen?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ally_uk said:

We would be stupid to sell Adams...

Would be a key player for us next season who else have we got up top?

I'd prefer to get some money for him while he's under contract (and reinvest it in a replacement) and keep the likes of Tella/Armstrong who are under contract longer

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I'd prefer to get some money for him while he's under contract (and reinvest it in a replacement) and keep the likes of Tella/Armstrong who are under contract longer

I have absolutely no ambition to see Armstrong in a Saints shirt any longer tbh

• Like 1

I always think it's a bit odd to write strikers off. We've lacked a creator type since Tadic, and even then, he was hot and cold for us.

The current strikers aren't really the type to make their own goals. You really need that attacking, driving force in the final third, and we haven't had that for a few seasons now.

Thinking back to the glory days of Poch and Koeman, you've got 4 attacking players on 8 goals or more each in any given season.

• Like 4

Lincoln City left back Sean Roughan is now out of contract (they have offered him a new one and he's yet to take it). He had a week long trial at Saints a couple of years ago (while under contract at at Lincoln) and we have no doubt followed his progress since. He has just had a good season and got an Ireland call up. God knows what our left back plan in next season. I guess it depends on what kind of offers Perraud attracts, Larios fitness/progress and the clubs evaluation of Small's loan.

• Like 3